Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That book Weapons of Math Destruction is on my 'want to read' list (when I've got through my backlog of books).

It is a very good book.

Just sayin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Reveilled posted:

Omegaverse alpha

I hate that I know what that refers to.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So what's the actual deal with this Article 16 thing then? Is it as nakedly stupid as it appears (that the EU think that people are going to be smuggling vaccines across the border) or is it some wider political point/punishment they're trying to give out?

The EU suspects that pharma companies will, in their eternal quest for money, renege on their contracts with the EU (but pocket the money they got) and export to other countries where they can sell it for higher profit. That is the suspicion with Astra Zeneca, which has already broken a number of terms in the contract.

The EU doesn't suspect private persons are going to smuggle vaccine over the border, it suspects that pharma companies will. Again, Astra Zeneca has already demonstrated they are shady as hell, so there is no trust whatsoever.

AZ also went on to publicly lie about the terms of the contract, so…yeah, no trust.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Private Speech posted:

Also as per the A-Z comments to Bloomberg they're explicitly prioritising UK orders based on HM government wishes:

I posted it in the 'rona thread, but:

quote:

13.1 AstraZeneca represents, warrants and covenants to the Commission and the Participating Member States that:
[...]
(e) it is not under any obligation, contractual or otherwise, to any Person or third party in respect of the Initial Europe Doses or that conflicts with or is inconsistent in any material respect with the terms of this Agreement or that would impede the complete fulfillment of its obligations under this Agreement

They got over 200 million € to produce doses while the vaccine was still in testing.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Ah, so AZ found 9 million doses under the sofa all of a sudden? That's not suspicious at all…

Still half of what they contractually agreed to ship and took 200 million euros for.