Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I wondered why some people had been letting off fireworks at 11pm rather than waiting til midnight, until one of my friends on our Google Meet call suggested it was probably people celebrating Brexit since that officially happened at midnight CET. Fucks sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Surely the drones only look right from like one particular, quite narrow angle? How did everyone know where to stand?

It’s mostly for the TV cameras, really

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

At what point do the manufacturers just cancel their contracts with us

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

None of them from either party gives a gently caress about kids getting their education, they just want the schools open as a crèche so that everyone can keep going to work

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

It’s astounding how bad he is at politics. Great idea putting someone less than five years an MP in charge of the party, though I’m sure there are some with less experience who nonetheless have more political nous than him

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Hasn’t solar come on leaps and bounds recently, to the point where it’s actually cheaper than fossil fuels? Not that it’s a great option in this country though.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Stand ups can be useful but the whole point is that they’re supposed to be brief - you stand up so that everyone is uncomfortable and people don’t drag stuff out, if there’s anything you need to talk out with a team member you do it afterwards so everyone else can get back to work

It isn’t necessarily something suitable for every business and every project but I’m not surprised at management consultants selling it as such

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

EvilHawk posted:

I'm not a maths man but I have an issue with the first "erroneous" example the writer gives:

1 - 2 + 4

Which they say the correct value is 3.

Why is it three? Other than the author saying it should be 3, and not -5, to prove their point that BODMAS (apparently) doesn't 'work'. Again, no real background in maths, but isn't 'work' pretty subjective in this instance (i.e. what you want the answer to be)?

Because contrary to what BODMAS suggests, addition and subtraction have the same precedence so you simply work left-to-right.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Someone enjoying writing this press release.

https://twitter.com/jaarreaza/status/1346941567374774275?s=21

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Aphex- posted:

I got a v60 for pour over at the start of the first lockdown and subscribed to a local roaster who sends out fresh beans every week or so, and it's muuuch cheaper than when I was at the office buying it. And it's also lightyears more tasty than instant. If you're someone who drinks coffee every morning I can't recommend it enough. Just get a v60, some filters, a cheap burr hand grinder, a £10 scale on amazon that goes to .1 grams and you can make insanely tasty coffee every day for very little effort.

Yeah this is what I do, it was like £40 for all the equipment and £7.50 a week for coffee and it’s so much better than buying it from almost anywhere. I’m fully convinced that most people who hate coffee hate it because they’ve only ever had bad coffee. My fiancée couldn’t understand how I could drink it black but now she does too, so long as I’m making it.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Miftan posted:

Israel's doing that via their app, but they're actually vaccinating people properly afaik because they've got a very small population in a very small area.

Also they’re not vaccinating Palestinians.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

From what I gather, transmission rate outside is very low unless you’re in close proximity to someone else for an extended period, even if parks are crowded you can probably still keep your distance enough to feel ok about it.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/bbcpolitics/status/1348644251215814657?s=21

Apparently the virus doesn’t spread when Important People are talking

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

He has a very large majority for almost four years, how little an understanding of politics do you need to make such a ridiculous prediction

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

Did the fisheries minister really admit she didn't read the brexit trade deal because she was doing a nativity trail?

Lmao

I assume she has Johnson’s full support though. And Starmer’s.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Bloodly posted:

Which then leads to the question: "What is the end goal?" What do they see happening when they've drained everything? What do they hope the country to be after all this, presuming they do get everything they want? I can't understand.

Capitalism is inherently short-sighted, having stuff in the here-and-now trumps any kind of long-term thinking. It’s why shareholders always oust CEOs who will forgo short-term profits in lieu of future stability and why conservative parties around the world are going all-in on ‘reopen the economy’ when these policies actually cause more damage that short lockdowns.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1352242143700676609?s=21

Truly unexplainable

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

peanut- posted:

That's so bizarre.

The Telegraph says the infected laptops all came from XMA, who are a big supplier. How the gently caress are they selling computers with a pre-installed Russian worm?

It’s not as though the size of an organisation correlated with how competent they are. The laptop hard drives will have all been setup from the same image from a machine that was infected before the image was taken.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

(I think the point is there are people in the UK who are on a different landmass)

I thought it was that he keeps saying ‘a third of the landmass’ rather than ‘a tenth of the population’. And it’s not as if it’s the land that has political issues with England, but the people

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Lungboy posted:

She's no Vorderman, got a 2:1 at Uni and has the answers fed to her ear on Countdown.

Vorderman got a 3rd class degree...

And really, knowledge and skill as a mathematician doesn’t directly correlate to ability at mental arithmetic anyway

Noxville fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

WhatEvil posted:

Second or third time I've seen recommendations for double-masking now that the new, more contagious variants of covid are about :

https://twitter.com/AstroKatie/status/1354849307434876939?s=20

Yeah I’ve seen this increasingly recently, and it’s at least driven me to get a better mask that the one I had which was just a single cotton layer, the ones at Vistaprint are two cotton layers with a filter between them and if I ever need to go into a small enclosed building I will definitely be wearing a disposable medical-style one underneath too.