Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I’ve been in a funk so in and flash me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

:toxx: in with the United States of Lions

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

United States of Lions
Flash Rule: Must involve the Gorilla Commune

Confessions of a Lion President: I Was a Teenage Content Creator
1392 words

Removed.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 23, 2022

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

in and wikihow me

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

In.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

:toxx: in

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

A Place Without Seasons
900 words

REmoved.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 23, 2022

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

:toxx:ing will continue until stories improve

I’m taking “Good 4 U” by Olivia Rodrigo, which is a great song

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Flash: Good 4 U

Our Time
980 words

Charlie sat on her bedroom floor, crumpled amid piles of discarded outfits. There was her cheerleading uniform, wadded in a ball where she had left it several days ago. There was the cute spaghetti-strap top and jean jacket that she’d worn with Tanner on their last date. Then, there was her prom dress, still spread out across her unmade bed. She’d spent weeks saving up to buy it. The dress was meant to be the ultimate symbol of her and Tanner’s relationship, the kind of thing that they would keep together as they went to college, moved into together, and got married. It was the thing they would keep to show their kids.

She had seen this future in her head countless times but, today, she found herself bawling, desperately trying to connect with her boyfriend through Facetime.

“I just don’t understand!” Charlie said, sobbing into the phone. “Did I do something wrong? Did I make some kind of m-mistake?”

Through the tears, she saw the blurry image of Tanner looking both annoyed and uncomfortable as he walked through his house. Behind him was an endless array of white walls and ceilings, interrupted by occasional light fixtures. “Listen, babe,” he said. He always called her babe when she was upset. “I just… don’t think it’s working out, you know? We’re just, you know…”

He trailed off, as though he expected her to know. She let out an awful gurgling noise, full-on ugly crying now. Only a week ago, they had been sending Riverdale memes to one another and exchanging smiley-face emojis with heart eyes. His attempt to break up with her over text was right below a looping GIF of Cheryl Blossom rolling her eyes. Now, whenever she stared at the message she would have to face that GIF repeating forever.

“Is this because you got into Berkeley? Are you trying to break up with me right before prom so I don’t follow you into college?”

Tanner scowled. “Look, I don’t need to explain myself to you. If you want to get upset about a bunch of stupid high school bullshit, that’s your call. I’ve got other things to do.”

And then he ended the call. Charlie stared for a long moment at her phone’s cracked screen, feeling a wave of anguish cascade over her. She might have continued to sit there for a long time if not for the large, crackling portal that opened up in her wall without warning. Scrambling to her feet, Charlie had a moment before a woman in an eyepatch and leather jacket strode out.

“I’m gonna bother explaining because it’s honestly not important and we have poo poo to do,” said the woman in a cool, self-confident voice. “But I’m you from ten years in the future and together we’re gonna go destroy our lovely ex-boyfriend.”

They rocketed down the interstate in Charlie’s car. In the driver’s seat sat Charlie, the future Charlie, with her good eye fixed on the road. In the passenger’s seat was the past Charlie, wide-eyed and staring at her doppleganger. Between them was some kind of futuristic weapon with all kinds of knobs and buttons. It reminded Past Charlie of one of Tanner’s video games. She tried not to look at it.

“So,” said the teenage Charlie after a long silence, “Tanner is—.”

“A loving rear end in a top hat,” said the woman from the future as they swerved through traffic. “Like, a literal grade-A rear end in a top hat. I know it’s hard for you to see that now because he’s severely hosed up our brain but, let me tell you, he’s garbage.”

“He’s not that bad.” Charlie murmured. “He’s just misunderstood. He’s just not good talking about his emotions and—.”

The woman rolled her one good eye. “Oh, here we go. Look, let’s skip past the part where you justify him blowing you off a bunch of times and then trying to break up with you over text.” They screeched through the off-ramp and set off a cascade of angry horns. “You know that good people don’t break up with other people like that, right? Even in the future where, like, we all live in floating cities because of climate change, that’s still a huge faux pas.”

There was a pause as they swung into Tanner’s suburb.

“Still, Tanner must be really important to us for you to come back here, huh?”

“Jesus, no, he’s not. I didn’t beat up a bunch of time scientists from Neo Paris and steal their equipment because Tanner creates loving Skynet or whatever. I’m here because he’s not. You spend the next few years obsessing over this dumbass who dumped you in high school and it loving sucks,” said Future Charlie.

She pulled the car to a stop.

“It takes you ages to realize that the break-up wasn’t your fault and that you can do so much better. You don’t have to keep falling for the same mediocre white guy over and over again and destroying yourself because he’s got intimacy issues. It took me, like, a bunch of therapy and surviving the time wars to understand that, but you don’t have to wait that long. You can fix us now by vaporizing him off the face of the Earth.”

She handed over the weapon and locked eyes with her past self. From nearby, they could both hear the sound of a door opening, of Tanner emerging from his parents’ house confused and angry. He stormed across the lawn, cursing.

“Do you really mean that?” Said Past Charlie.

Her future self smiled. “Go make your destiny, kid. Green knob is to lock on and the red button is to fire.”

The two hugged and stepped out of the car. As Charlie pointed the cannon at her ex-boyfriend, she felt a strange sense of relief. For the first time in a long time, she felt in control of her future.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

In and give me a flash.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

In, :toxx: and word

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Flash: DEVOTEE

The Church
1569 words

Removed.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 23, 2022

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Sure, in

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

In

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

:toxx: in

orb me

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Prompt: Corn Orb

Children and the Corn
1300 words

It was the Year of the Corn Orb in Pottersfield, Ohio. It had been the Year of the Corn Orb for several years. In fact, no one in Pottersfield could remember a time before the Corn Orb, before its life-sustaining nutrition, before the existence of the impenetrable corn maze that surrounded the city on every side. Every so often, someone tried to escape the Corn Orb’s benevolent glow by running into the maze, only to emerge several days later as warped husks, haunted by some terrible knowledge and full of a terrible and insatiable hunger. Those city leaders who expressed anti-corn sentiment tended to vanish, their images replaced with stock photos of corn fields.

Most people tried to make peace with these facts. Most lived quiet lives averting their gaze from the large corn sphere that hovered silently above the town square. Most people were not Elijah and Enoch. The two sat cross-legged in Enoch’s dad’s garage, piling supplies into their backpacks.

“You got the ropes?” Said Enoch, focused and practical as always.

“Eight feet!” Said Elijah in a loud, bright voice to disguise his dread. He smiled, looking toward Enoch for approval, for reassurance that attacking the Orb wouldn’t be a disaster. “Took it off my dad’s truck before he went to the husking plant.”

Enoch failed to notice the way Elijah was looking at him. “What about gloves? Did you find out what happens if we touch the Orb while we’re busting it apart?”

“I don’t know. I don’t think so.” He frowned. I tried to ask my brother but he just started howling and clawing his face. That usually means, ‘no,’ but I could ask again if you really want…”

Elijah’s expression made it clear that he hoped he wouldn’t have to talk to his brother again. Ever since he’d gotten out of the maze, his brother had hidden himself inside his room and did little except whisper and devour large jugs of cream corn. The sounds of his slurping were unsettling but the things he murmured were worse. He spoke of a great nothing beyond the maze, oblivion. It haunted Elijah’s dreams.

“We should probably bring some just in case,” Enoch said. “My mom just got me some new gloves for last year’s Fall Jamboree so you can use those. I’ll use my old pair.”

He handed Elijah over a set of green and yellow gloves with a small cartoon corn on them. Elijah shuddered and took them while Enoch looked over the collection of rope and knives. “I think we’ve got this. I think we might actually be able to destroy the Orb and maybe, maybe, save the town.” He stood up and put his hands on his hips. “What do you think?”

Elijah thought a lot of things. He thought about what the Corn Orb might do to them if they failed. He thought about what might happen if they succeeded. He thought about the rustling of the maze on the edge of town, of whatever lay beyond it.

Instead of saying any of these things, he forced himself to smile. He did not want to let Enoch down, not here. Maybe when they arrived, he would find some way to stop him, to make him give up. Then, they could go back home and enjoy corn together. Elijah could spend forever with the friend who made his heart flutter.

“We could, uh, bring those little corn cob holder things?”

“Oh,” Enoch frowned. “I guess we could bring those.”

They loaded their bags onto their bikes and rode down toward the square. It was a short trip, dominated by Elijah’s nervous talking. He rambled about other places, other cities. He talked in a loud, high-pitched voice about the Big Apple. Even though there were no pictures of it in their geography textbooks, he worried whether a floating fruit would be better than a vegetable. He gave a nervous laugh and wondered if it even existed, if there was anything outside Pottersfield. He couldn’t stop himself.

“What do you think?” asked Elijah suddenly as he and Enoch passed by a colonial home overflowing with corn and corn-related products. Waterfalls of corn brine flowed from the upper window onto the grass and pooled across the lawn. “I know the corn is bad but, uh, at least we know what it is. That’s something right?”

Enoch swerved to avoid some of the juices. The plastic beads on his bike spokes rattled. “I think when we get out, we should meet with the president. They always let heroes meet the president in books and stuff.”

Elijah cast a baffled look to his friend as they approached the square. “What are you going to say to the president?”

“I think we should talk to him about reducing the recommended number of corn servings per meal,” he said. “One gallon per meal is a lot.” He paused. “A half would be better.”

“But what if he’s not—?” Began Elijah, but Enoch’s attention was elsewhere. They had arrived.

The town square was empty save for the giant floating Corn Orb and the usual mess of scarecrows beneath it. While the Orb had never communicated, never hinted at its motives or objectives, several of Elijah and Enoch’s neighbors had decided that they could ingratiate themselves to it by posting scarecrows to frighten away birds and vermin that might devour its flesh. The fact that no one had seen a bird near the square was proof enough that the system worked.

Enoch leaned his bike against one of the figures, making sure the mass of straw and burlap could support the bike’s weight. Then, he turned to his friend. “Are we ready?”

Elijah did not move from his bicycle. The Corn Orb glowed in the sky above them. He could not stop staring at the massive sphere, yellow and slick with butter. Several droplets plopped onto the ground and seeped into the street.

“Elijah?” Enoch said.

Elijah felt himself begin to shake. He could see the stalks in his brain. He could hear the rustling of the maze and hear his brother’s quiet muttering. “What if what we’re doing hurts people? What if… we get hurt or… or… there’s not anything—?”

Elijah felt a hand on his shoulder. He looked down and locked eyes with Enoch, his heart pounding.

“Whatever happens, we’ll be together. I won’t let you be alone.”

They stared into each other’s eyes for a long moment. Then, Enoch slapped on his gloves and took out the ropes. For several minutes, Enoch tried again and again to get the rope to stick to the Orb. Every time the rope made contact, it slid off.

It would have been so easy to let him continue failing. Instead, Elijah took a deep breath and took a step forward.

“What if we attach the corn cob holders to the rope so they catch?”

The scarecrows through the square rattled as they tied the small metal inserts to the ends of the rope. The Orb let out a pulse of energy as they stuck the giant sphere with it and heaved it downward. Inch by inch, it descended until, at last, it was in front of them.

Elijah said nothing, too stunned by their success. He lay a gloved hand on the Orb. The kernels were firm and warm, as if just cooked. The bright yellow was almost blinding up close.

Enoch took out the knives from the backpacks. “If we do this and it works, there’s no turning back. We gotta deal with whatever’s out there, beyond.” He waved his hand in the air. “We might find out stuff we wish we hadn’t.”

“So long as we have each other,” Elijah held out a hand for the knife. “I’m ready whenever you are.”

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

:toxx: sign me up, bb

HELL PROMPT: “Hot Nixon cottage cheese pics”

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 15, 2021

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Prompt: "A story where Leonardo Da Vinci finds himself in the Pacific Islands during WW2"

Leonardo (or How I Learned To Start Worrying and Hate The Time Travel)
1294 words

Removed.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 23, 2022

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

In

Captives or Fugitives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

In with:

“The Crime Lads have done it again,” I realized grimly, surveying my dead wife.