Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Fresh year. fresh comics! I'm too tired and hung over to write any descriptions right now but the ones in the OP seem very fitting anyway. Thanks for that!

The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space GUy

On THe Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother GOose & Grimm

Hagar THe Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

LvK posted:

And They Did!

lol

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I will start posting Nancy dailies 1946 with a proper into starting tomorrow since Nancy Likes Christmas starts on Jan 2nd.

In the meantime, have this:

manero fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 2, 2021

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

rannum posted:

This is a joke, right

please tell me this is a joke and im falling for it

I double checked in case I was remembering it wrong, and I stand corrected, because Funky and Crankshaft have only been a year ahead of publication date for a long, long time. TomBat claims that gives him better flexibility for planning and plotting his big events, but only that means he really, really doesn't have any excuse for how the ICE story sputtered out like a wet fart.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

rannum posted:

This is a joke, right

please tell me this is a joke and im falling for it

I think it's actually a one-year buffer, which is still certifiably insane but slightly less so.

Also, happy 2021 comics people!

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Ella Cinders

What Ella Cinders has taught me is that, no matter how predictable or contrived the storyline, when it looks like someone is about to get comeuppance I will get hyped.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mmm, new thread smell.

By the way, the last thread had 52 titles all told, meaning an average of on per week. If we're going to have more title changes, we're going to have to up our game here.

ANYWAY. My first comics of the new year!

The Dinette Set by Julie Larson is a window into the lives of the whitest suburbianest trashiest of white suburban trash. The focus is mainly on Burl and Joy Penny (who are abrasive and clueless, respectively) but also includes their neighbors Marlene and Dale, Joy's mother, and the oddly haired Jerry. They go through life obliviously generating the kind of low-grade stupidity that just makes everyone around them sadder. It ended 2010 but is in repeats.

Working Daze by John Zakour and Scott Roberts is one of the most hated comics in the history of these threads. Set at a terrible tech company, WD attempts to cover both office and nerd humor and manages to do both horribly and with too many words. Most of the punchlines are sub-Big Bang Theory level gags where the punchline is just "nerd thing". The punchlines that aren't direct references are about the terrible work culture of the company. Oh, and multiple characters have the ability to alter reality for some reason.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix started as a parody of the newspaper comics page by Pulitzer finalist Ruben Bolling. The original version of Super-Fun-Pak Comix appeared occasionally in Ruben's main comic Tom the Dancing Bug, but was eventually split up into a daily strip. It's also in repeats even though Ruben is still creating new content for his main strip. I think some of the comics on this feed are ghost written, but I have no proof one way or the other.

Cul De Sac is by the late, lamented Richard Thompson, who passed away in 2010. Cul De Sac is about the Otterloop family: four-year-old Alice (who is a little hyperactive) and her older brother Petey (a total stick in the mud, professional fussy eater, and my spirit animal), and their parents Madeline and Peter. The Otterloops are practically unique in comic strips in that they all love and care about each other in a very realistic way. Also featuring prominently are the childrens' various friends like Alice's classmates Dill, Beni, and Kevin (and his stupid bucket head), Petey's crush Viola, and Petey's maybe-imaginary "friend" Earnesto.

Cul De Sac is also responsible for one of my favorite comic strips of all time:

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Cul De Sac is also responsible for one of my favorite comic strips of all time:

I should also note that Rob McLaren wrote a song based on this phrase. You can buy it from Bandcamp.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The Boondocks ran from 1996 (picked up by Universal Press Syndicate in 1999) to 2006 (with an Instagram revival in 2019, apparently). We're currently in January of 2002. Two young black kids and their grandfather move from Chicago to the suburbs. Hijinx ensue.

Retail ran from 2006 to 2020. It is about people who are in Hell. We're in September 2007.

Popular Comics ran from 1936 to 1948. It was published as a magazine, which collected newspaper comic strips (mostly Sundays) of the time. We just finished up issue #1 in the last thread, and are now starting issue #2.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Parahexavoctal posted:

Hm, that's true.

Perhaps the question Popeye should ask is, is the person in Mister Brown's body actually Mister Brown?

Twins. It's got to be twins. And the real Mr Brown is locked up somewhere, hence the moaning and refusing to call the cops

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

Samovar posted:

Happy new year you filthy animals. Hopefully I should be uploading some new comics soon. I think Corto Maltese may have been posted by me enough times to justify against me doing it again.

Is Corto Maltese available online? I'd read it.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

kidcoelacanth posted:

Time to take care of some unfinished business.

Mr. Mr. Boop

I've been following Mr. Boop after it left the thread, and even though it was always off the rails, it really kinda just keeps going somehow. It seriously should have ended after the first meta layer reveal

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 2, 2021

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

me, i like the switch in direction to diary comic

lotta untapped ground to tread there, as a comic concept

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

WTF is this comic saying?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The ending of Mr. Boop is, something. From the quick look I took, I was curious. We've got two and a half months to catch up on, folks. (I scrolled to find where we left off, which was sometime in October.)

I should do some summaries I guess. I'm not doing the full backstory, just some notes from memory. Because it's early and :effort:

Family Circus began in 1960, written by Bill Keane. He died, and Jeff(y) Keane took over in 2011. It rarely has a storyline, other than the kids aren't bright.

Rose is Rose began in 1984, written by Pat Brady. Drawn by him as well until 2004, and now one Don Wimmer is the artist. Back in the early days, Brady's fat fetish was super obvious in the comic strip. It was toned down a lot though.

One Big Happy, Rick Detore, 1988. It was at one time a thread favorite, but started a downslide when the joke kept turning to "haha poor and/or different people sure are WEIRD aren't they?" Ruthie is the voice for Rick, like Carmen is Stantis/Allie's voice in Prickly City.

For Better or For Worse, or FOOB as it is more commonly known here from some line in the last few years of the strip. Lynn Johnston, 1979-2008 was the original run. New "reruns" (Lynn rewriting and doing some redrawing) began mid 2010. This thread started out as a critique of Foob if memory serves, in the twilight years of the original run. Lynn is an, interesting woman. And not well regarded for a number of reasons.

Compu-Toon, Charles Boyce, 1994 original syndication, 2001 for GoComics. Boyce is horribly inept at art, technology, and sometimes writing. But he's lovable and a genuinely sincere guy by our understanding. So we have a thread underdog.

Bizarro, Dan Piraro, 1985 on. Drawn by Piraro as well until 2018, when a friend of his known only as Wayno took over the daily art. Piraro still draws the Sundays. Surreal gag-a-day comic, Piraro looks like a caricature. Seriously, look at this man and tell me he's to be taken seriously.

I used to post Dilbert as well. But we dropped that during a terribly racist storyline a few years ago. gently caress Scott Adams, he's a dipshit and a Trumpist, high on his own farts.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Cobalt-60 posted:

Is Corto Maltese available online? I'd read it.

I, uh, fear it is only through me.

Of course, if one wishes to obtain it in a physical method, one can purchase it through Eurocomics.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Intet Nytt Fra Hjemmefronten

Pondus

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin and Kell (October 12-16, 1998)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

karmicknight posted:

This will be the year I successfully follow the comic strip megathread and not give up about a week in.

:same:

I think the last time I was up to speed was in about 2013 but I think this year I can do it.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

This is a complete nightmare of a strip. :stonk:

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
It just now fully hit me that Kevin is fully alright with his wife going out and murdering and eating other people* like him

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori is a Finnish daily web comic by Pertti Jarla. It relies heavily on puns and absurdist humor, which have made it at the same time incomprehensible to non-Finns and a thread favourite.

The original festival was called "Tuli ja leimaus", which basically means "Fire and blaze", but the Finnish word for "leimaus" is also a conjugated form of "leimata", which means "the place where something is stamped". So hopefully this works.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/1/01

Brenda Starr 4/1/45

"You too, Hank?" gently caress off, Pesky.

Smokey Stover 3/12/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

Sick burn on Ulysses S. Grant!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Ed Resolutions, 2021
1. Diet
2. Cheat on diet at least once per week at work
3. poo poo on Dustin daily
4. Be smug as hell
5. Complain about ballet
Stretch goal: plot

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Happy New Year, everyone!

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (May 4, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (May 4, 1999)

Garfield Classic (May 4, 1989)

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Selachian posted:

Richard's Poor Almanac

Sick burn on Ulysses S. Grant!

#2 could be Leonidas Polk
https://www.historynet.com/leonidas-polk-southern-civil-war-general.htm

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 4/1/45

"You too, Hank?" gently caress off, Pesky.

Pesky is the worst character in this strip. Also, Marrying Your Boss! Every girl's dream.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Also, here are the character pages for new thread:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That Ed carries $50 bills is the most concise personality test for him.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Tina's Groove Classic (May 4, 2009)

I thought this was a passable covid joke until I looked at the date, but this joke was tired already in 2009.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

PainterofCrap posted:

I am resurrected.

Monster Rally – 1950

2020 mood.

Hey I recognize this even though I've never seen it before. In the Simpson's episode 'Duffless' when Homer is watching car crash footage in a DWI class and everyone else is horrified but he's laughing at it, the showrunners specifically cited this cartoon as the inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P7d5VOQnXI&t=1s

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy Dailies: 1946

Nancy originally started as a character in Ernie Bushmiller's Fritzi Ritz, but quickly came into her own strip after getting popular. Nancy joins her friend Sluggo, along with her aunt Fritzi, as well as other minor characters like Peewee or Mr. Sputter. The strip is generally one-off sight gags or wordplay, and often turns absurdist, or we see the result of Nancy taking her aunt's instructions extremely literally.

Bushmiller drew Nancy from 1938 to his death in 1982, and was then drawn by several artists in the meantime.

We don't talk about Gilchrist-era Nancy here.

Nancy has most recently been picked up by Olivia Jaimes and is also posted in this thread.

manero fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 2, 2021

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

BigDave posted:

Hey I recognize this even though I've never seen it before. In the Simpson's episode 'Duffless' when Homer is watching car crash footage in a DWI class and everyone else is horrified but he's laughing at it, the showrunners specifically cited this cartoon as the inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P7d5VOQnXI&t=1s

It's probably Addams' second most famous cartoon after "Downhill Skier".

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jan. 24, 1943)