Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Powerful Katrinka posted:

I just wanted to say that I really enjoy Blueberry, and your translations are professional-level, and I'm not just saying that because you got me hooked on Corto Maltese. (My birthday is coming up and I may just have to treat myself to a collection or two) The dialogue sounds very natural, I appreciate that you're striving to translate the tone as well as the words, and you do a remarkable job

...thanks PK. This is a wonderful thing to read on the last day of the year.

...On that note, since this IS the last day of the year, and since Blueberry is a serial - I think I'll lay off the updates until the new thread starts up ('cause... we still do make a new one every year, aye?). See you all then!

Stay safe, everyone and a happy New Year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Happy New Years, everybody!! See you in the new year!

riderchop fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 31, 2021

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

"This shampoo bottle is 0.1oz above regulation limits!"

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Gambled them all away (26/1936)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zofie's World

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

If this was presented absent the context of the rest of the strip, I would assume the two of them were the butt of the joke. The dialogue is so horrific that they must be the utterly insufferable side characters you are meant to hate.

Basically, :fuckoff:

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Hi all! Just want to let you know that I’m still here — between family and travel, I’ve been completely behind and only just caught up. I’ll be back tomorrow with (the last week or two of) Classic Zits, Hell, Sylvia, and Marlys! I’ve missed you all, looking forward to the new year and new thread!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The last batch of the year. Have a nice new year's eve, everyone!

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
help computer

manero
Jan 30, 2006

A year ago I decided to start contributing scans to the thread. I wasn’t sure I’d be able to keep up the commitment, but here we are. I managed to keep more or less to the schedule of the original strip, so here’s the last one for 1946, and tomorrow I’ll start Nancy 1947.

That’s 1/3 of Nancy Likes Christmas down, and there are two other books remaining, so I could in theory post a classic Nancy daily for the next eight years.

Happy New Year, y’all. Here’s hoping 2022 is less of a bag of poop for everybody.

Nancy 1946

manero fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 31, 2021

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Hi, everyone! I took a couple of days off for the holidays, and then I got sick. Let's get caught up with A&J for the year's end:

Arlo and Janis

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Adorable.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

One last load of comics for 2021.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 12/30/01

Brenda Starr 11/20-22/47

Smokey Stover 5/6/45

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jan. 16, 1949)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think that Prince Val has become my favourite strip in this thread now that Thimble Theatre and Rummy Duck have declined

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Samovar posted:

...On that note, since this IS the last day of the year, and since Blueberry is a serial - I think I'll lay off the updates until the new thread starts up ('cause... we still do make a new one every year, aye?). See you all then!

Is someone going to claim it? I could just write a new OP again, finish up summaries for all the other comics I can remember that Haifisch didn't already do.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

I'm guessing that either Feuti did his own coloring, or he included the most explicit, 96-point font instructions for the colorists on these strips.

Popcom (double Skippy edition)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'll quote my summary of Jucika for the new OP, feel free to use or edit. I plan to keep posting two Jucika a day and will probably just loop it once I reach the end in a few months.

quote:

Jucika (yoo-si-ka) by Pál Pusztai ran from 1957 to 1970, "featuring a young, independent woman, frequently in risqué situations." It was rediscovered by the internet recently and the obvious quality of humor and risqué situations made it a cult classic.

It can be read in full at Jucika Daily(Random Strips) and Jucika In Order.

Happy New Year everybody!

Jucika "474 - Jucika And Dog Friendship"

"475 - Jucika And The Newbie Car Mechanic"

The expressions in this one are the best. Rear engine cars were a thing back then, to quote the twitter chain: "Rear engine...If I remember my Top Gear correctly, cars like that behind the Iron Curtain were light-weight, low-powered, and used a gas-oil mix. They were notoriously unreliable, and when the wall fell, people would leave them abandoned with the titles inside."

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I think they're overstating being good with kids as being more unusual than it is. I wouldn't call it a gift, and if I did I wouldn't call it rare.

Some Guy TT posted:

Is someone going to claim it? I could just write a new OP again, finish up summaries for all the other comics I can remember that Haifisch didn't already do.
I don't think anyone has so I don't see a problem with you doing it again if you want.

F Minus

I own a "SICKOS" shirt.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Maybe they are going to do what I said before.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

quote:

Mark Trail

Violet originally hired Ernest to help his business. Cherry offered to do it for free at the start of this story. Well, that's almost 3 for 3 on plotholes in new Trail arcs. Just gotta see how the zebra mussels side of things misses the target.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

:hai: An opinion with a venerable history in the comics page.

Bizarro

...Are they in heaven? Or on the Moon, perhaps?

The Family Circus

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

happy new year comic friends

buni killed it with this one so i don't know why jeff keane and the other hacks bother year after year

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

lmao at this on the same day that the CDC finally straight up said “don’t take cruises”

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Definitely feels like Mary Worth is pressing its butt cheeks on the window.

Happy New Year, Comic Strip Megathread!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

davidspackage posted:

Definitely feels like Mary Worth is pressing its butt cheeks on the window.

Happy New Year, Comic Strip Megathread!

Comic Strip Megathread 2022: Like Mary Worth pressing her butt cheeks on the window

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Powered Descent posted:

Bizarro

...Are they in heaven?

I initially read this as "punch out god at midnight" and was shocked that Bizarro was actually funny for once.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Comic Strip Megathread 2022: Like Mary Worth pressing her butt cheeks on the window

:yeah:

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Skurry Gurry

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Whoops, there was a bonus Nancy on the next page that I didn't see. So here's yesterday's:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

:hmmyes:

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Guess they're on a Disney cruise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQDw88hEr2c

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

I loving hate these animals, which just sit there and stare in rapt fascination at the person they're currently with, as if that's the only thing on their mind. No other interests, no fun little things that they do, nothing.

I've never met a single cat or dog with so little personality, and these ones are supposed to be important.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Say what you will about NuNancy, "There are six horses" is gag of the year easy.

I don't remember this one, what was it?

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

This song is explicitly sung between the naive idiot heroine and the guy who is completely using her and taking advantage of her desperation.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

You could just use "sweetie" for each other. For all eternity. Never stopping. Like the loving Overboard guy who refuses to learn that other pet names exist god I hate him I hate that motherfucker.

Sorry I just had to let it out, and nobody else but this thread would understand.

I-it's not like I like Nancy or anything, baka!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Vargo posted:

This song is explicitly sung between the naive idiot heroine and the guy who is completely using her and taking advantage of her desperation.

Almost every song we've seen Wilbur sing makes him look like an rear end in a top hat if you actually look at the lyrics or the greater context of the song.

Moy knows exactly what she's doing. (Not saying that's going to result in her writing any sort of satisfying resolution, just that she knows what she's doing.)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Murdstone posted:

I don't think anyone has so I don't see a problem with you doing it again if you want.

Well, I'll post it at midnight PST since no one is calling dibs. But if anyone wants to at least contribute to the OP more short year-end summaries of any comics that don't already have them would be nice. This is what I have so far for reference, presented without quote tags in alphabetical order.

Andertoons

Reliably good-to-great jokes.

Blondie (From Zero) (June 22-24, 1931)

I can see why Blondie had to completely reinvent itself as a domestic strip from your posts. What looked promising at first has become increasingly tired and gimmicky, and I can only imagine how insulting this kind of high society drama must have felt to people during the Great Depression.

Blueberry: Pokemontheme.mp3, or I like to think that Charlier had only ever heard the NAME of quicksand, and so this is what he thought it meant. Certainly makes more sense then actual quicksand in the desert!, or Indiana Jones looks on Luckner and Blount with sympathy

[/quote]

Greetings, fellow translator goon :) You do great work. Blueberry is a cool as hell Western adventure strip, and I'm honestly surprised we don't have more of those in American newspaper comic form. The genre was certainly popular enough. I also wouldn't worry too much about racisms or cultural insensitivity if I were you. The story's been quite consistent in portraying the Indians as reasonable people with reasonable motives, which is what really matters.

Boondocks

Apparently a lot of people were only familiar with Boondocks from the cartoon, while I only read the comic and saw maybe 3 episodes of the cartoon before forgetting about them, so my take's probably going to be different from some's.

Boondocks is...an extremely Bush era comic. There's no getting around that. On the whole I think it aged really badly. Some of the strips I remember as being funny are still funny, but a lot of them are just either a)not funny, b)sexist(in a way that's not obviously meant to be the characters being flawed) and not funny c)homo/transphobic and not funny.

Breaking Cat News

Twee as hell, but in a way I like. I still think it suffers from having to fit its art into comic strip size instead of the huge pages of the webcomic BCN, but it's adapted well overall. Really needs to stick to the cat jokes and stop doing sudden extended storylines that are all OTT mushiness and no jokes.

ChaCha Chako

This made so much more sense when you finally explained the story takes place in a pastiche world based on a children's cartoon with anthropomorphic food and animals. Strangely, this information neither improved the comic nor made it worse. It's still equally great.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Usually pretty good, but you gotta stop leaving the punchlines untranslated/assuming we're bright enough to figure out that a sign or something is being referenced and the core of the joke. :v: (not a complaint about this particular Dharma, to be clear)

OP's note: this has since been corrected :)

Compu-toon

Compu-toon is almost the exact same kind of novelty as Heathcliff, come to think of it, just not intentionally and with a very different topic.

Crankshaft

I find the smugness of Crankshaft to be every bit as infuriating as Funky Winkerbean these days because it seems like every other strip relies on understanding some arcane internal or external reference that Batiuk doesn't even attempt to explain.

Curtis

Curtis is usually below-average, with a few strips that are extra-bad and a few that are shockingly good(usually the barber and church-lady-hat strips). The kwanzaa strips are always a delight, although I swear this year's is a rerun. Maybe I'm too used to the rhythm of them.

Daddy Daze

I liked this for the week-ish we all thought the joke was the dad inventing explanations for baby babble.

Dark Side of the Horse

Ranges from okay to fantastic. The simplicity works in its favor.

Dok's Duck (November 26, 1913)

I loved the duck back in the YOU RUMMY era. This incarnation of the duck has slowly been losing me, since it loves to get into a storyline and wring every bit of life out of it while not being particularly clever along the way. The arcs where the joke is LOOK AT THIS RACIAL STEREOTYPE BIRD don't help either.

Dustin

What's there to say about Dustin that hasn't been said aleady? gently caress you, Kelley.

Parker is a good artist and glancing at his twitter suggests he's not a shithead. I can only assume he's stuck here because he can't find a better gig.

Far Side

Far Side is great! I'm glad Gary Larson decided the Internet doesn't have cooties.

For Better or For Worse

I read somewhere that teenagers these days don't actually drive anymore. Part of this is COVID keeping them from driving anywhere, but also everything being online has reduced the need for it. So being able to drive isn't the rite of passage it used to be. I bring this up, not to critique this individual comic, but to emphasize how despite pretending to be a modern comic strip nearly every single For Better or For Worse has some really subtle cultural element that doesn't at all track to life as how we know it today.

Funky Winkerbean

Funky Winkerbean has the bad habit of making me hate the jobs of the characters it depicts despite the fact that I know full well Batiuk does absolutely no research about anything, and certainly not the professional work he dedicates entire plotlines to.

Garfield

Modern Garfield isn't bad. It's not great. But it's not as awful as you'd expect a zombie strip to be.

Get Fuzzy

Liked Get Fuzzy as a teen. Still like it now, but I feel like some the tone of the strip comes off worse outside the context of the early 00s media landscape. It's a very "haha, everyone is kinda weird and there's a token jerk we're all putting up with for some reason" thing.

Heathcliff

Briefly surreal but not terribly memorable to be entirely honest.

Jucika

Jucika (yoo-si-ka) by Pál Pusztai ran from 1957 to 1970, "featuring a young, independent woman, frequently in risqué situations." It was rediscovered by the internet recently and the obvious quality of humor and risqué situations made it a cult classic.

It can be read in full at Jucika Daily(Random Strips) and Jucika In Order.

Little Lefty (October 28-30, 1935)

Here again. More straightforwardly aggressive children. But they're also Communists.

Luann

I'm never going to pass up an opportunity to poo poo on Luann. Luann is a comic written and drawn by people who are completely out of touch with how modern American society, relationships, and culture work, but who are dimly aware of some of the superficial signifiers. And who think that sex before marriage is evil.

Macanudo

Fluff written by someone who doesn't know how to be sincerely cute or heartwarming, so it all comes off like a dollar store hallmark card.

Mandrake

I have completely lost track of what's going on in Modern Mandrake, which is funny because I can remember offhand pretty quickly that Classic Mandrake is about a convoluted jewel heist involving mummy impersonation and that Mandrake is currently trolling a dude with lots of tattoos by making the tattoos move.

Mark Trail

The plotting is a mess. I've accepted it's probably always going to be a mess. It's enjoyable if you treat it as a goofy strip where sometimes people are getting into a fight or exploding boats and the villians are captain planet stereotypes.

Mary Worth

Modern MW is a masterclass showpiece of the social dynamics that let toxic people get away with being toxic and pressure their victims into being quietly unhappy forever because god forbid you "rock the boat".

I hate it and I can't stop reading it.

Monty

I like Monty. His pathetic bachelor lifestyle is something I can relate to.

Mutt and Jeff

I like this comic a lot and am glad you added it to your lineup. I'm assuming these are all older ones? I'm surprised at how easy they read, since it seems like most classic comics have a nearly inscrutable setup structure.

Mutts

Extremely inoffensive. Not unpleasant by any means, but it's easy to see why Mutts hasn't been in the thread for years.

Nancy

I feel like Olivia started off strong, then realized she ran out of jokes and has just been coasting for a paycheck since then.

On The Fastrack

All of the metaphors in this comic are very disturbing. I mean sure, that's true for any Holbrook cartoon, but this is the only one that purports to take place in something approximating the real world and depicting characters like you and me.

Out Our Way, featuring the hit character of 1937. "Hit" as in "preferably with a blunt instrument". (December 13-15, 1937)

This is a better puzzle strip than Encyclopedia Brown as I'm always left wondering, what is this reference supposed to mean? Was life eighty years ago really that different?

Overboard

Surreal in a fairly memorable way is why I like this comic more than I probably should.

Pearls Before Swine

I used to really dislike Pearls Before Swine because of its sheer smugness, but I find the pandemic has had a very effective humbling impact on Pastis that gives the strip a much more grounded perspective in regards to the uselessness of superiority complexes and how it fuels depression. Also it has better jokes now.

Peanuts (December 26-27, 1974)

Like, see here, the whole idea of writing letters to thank people seems wholly alien to Skippy. Or even something like Out Our Way, which has more polite kids in general.

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Pretty good, usually funny, sometimes phones it in with a week of "haha, UNICORN!".

Pickles

Pickles depicts the kind of old person I want to be some day.

Pooch Cafe

Sometimes it's slightly funny. Most of the time it's just kind of there. The way Poncho's ear is drawn has always bugged the hell out of me.

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

I find this comic about as tiresome as Modern Nancy any time it's not using the deliberately nonsensically convoluted puns.

Rex Morgan MD

Tooting my own horn and posting 70s RM next to modern to illustrate just how nothing modern Rex is. 70s RM drags on too long but things actually happen and they're actual things real humans might care about irl. And it doesn't keep letting the air out of its own tires by cancelling out any remotely interesting bits 5 strips after they happen. And it does still involve actual medicine sometimes.

I don't even read modern RM 90% of the time and it moves so slowly and does so little that it's still not hard to know what's going on.

Rip Haywire

Rip Haywire is like a case study in how constant plot twists in the context of a daily strip just make the whole thing drat near unreadable.

Safe Havens

Currently on Safe Havens, a mouse and a bird (?) have been turned into humans, have had a human baby, and now apparently that baby is talking much faster than she should. That's it. That's the comment. Any given day the Safe Havens storyline is based on premises equally bizarre.

Sally Forth

I find the soap opera aspects of this comic more compelling than the actual soap strips, and the humor aspects less compelling than the actual comedy strips.

Skippy (April 16-17, 1934)

It's a weird analogy to make, but I can't help but sea Skippy as being a kind of proto-Peanuts in that the characters, being slightly older, are also much better at being straightforwardly aggressive. Yet at the same time, there's a big generation gap at play because it feels like post World War II kids were expected to have better manners.

Take It From The Tinkersons

A strange strip that should be either terrible or forgettable, but is actually pretty good?

Thimble Theater (July 28-29, 1938)

It is incredibly weird just how modern and experimental this strip feels given that Popeye is synonymous with cliched damsel in distress cartoons for children.

Toonerville Folks (June 27-29, 1918)

Toonerville is probably my favorite vintage comic in the thread. It somehow avoids getting stale despite literally all of its characters involving one joke each, probably because the characters are given hints of their lives outside that(see: how The Powerful Katrinka got a boyfriend at some point).

Uramachi Sakaba

Also owns.

Vater Und Sohn

Owns.

Vintage Valiant

Confession: I skipped Valiant until the America arc caught my eye. This was clearly the biggest mistake I've ever made in my life and if there's a convenient album for what's been posted so far I will love you forever if you link it.

It's just fantastic. It's funny, it treats everyone in the strip as actual people, the art is phenominal, and the odd bit of old-timey sexism can be excused when the women in it kick so much rear end.

Wallace the Brave

I'm not sure if Wallace or Valiant is the best strip in the thread. It's just :discourse:

Zits

This Zits is kind of unrepresentative. In general I find it to be surprisingly prescient about the modern generation gap.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

It's good but I reserve the right to also describe the comics I post