Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

I think I remember one of the Addams sharpening fence spikes in one of the movies, perhaps a cute callback to the comic as well as the show?
Also chimed in to say how much I appreciate the work that goes into this megathread, it is my daily morning read and has been a happy one for so many years I can’t quite imagine my morning routine without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

Howard Beale posted:

Get hosed Ed Kudlick

Perfect in every way.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (June 1-3, 1936)

I relate to this, forget 30 years too soon my parents had a wood fired stove until well after I left home. The ash would fall into a giant metal tin and we'd leave it until it was well overflowing before we bothered emptying it so yes, if it was windy out you wore a good percentage of it and possibly watched some of it burst into flame. Emptying that thing was an adventure in "will i be covered in ash and/or set fire to something today!". The firebox had a huge hole in it so all our homecooked food was lightly smoked and burned on one side if you forgot to go shuffle things around. You regulated the oven temp by just opening the door.

It ran the hot water too, so if the fire was out & you wanted a bath well fucker you best light the fire & wait for two hours and listen for the gurgling that tells you its ready. The hot-water temperature came in 2 flavours - stone cold or boiling so hard it sputtered out of the tap (and, fairly often, out of the relief valve & out onto the roof).

Oh and more than once a year the whole flu would catch fire and shoot huge flames & creosote out the chimney. Somehow it didn't burn the place down before it was replaced with an electric one. I do kind of miss it though, in winter it would heat the whole house & anytime the power went out we could still eat & be warm. I don't miss chopping wood in the rain or starting a fire to take a bath.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

Here's a recipe for war cake from an anonymous 1940s cookbook/diary-- "No butter, no eggs, no milk, delicious!":

Me mum has been making a very similar recipe from around the same era or possibly earlier and the sugar it wanted was "raw" (which is like halfway between brown & white here in Aus). It turns out a very lovely loaf that you slice & serve with butter. It was a school lunchbox staple in my household.

Oh - check it out I wrote it out online like a million years ago here it is: http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/9566/eggless-spicey-fruit-loaf.aspx

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

Garfield Classic (December 30, 1989)

This is an extremely accurate comic because I pretty much spent the entirety of my cat's 17 years on this earth asking the cat what in gently caress it was doing.