Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Going to start the new year by praising thread, praising regulars posting comics and most importantly praising Arthur, Mr for being comfortable enough to rock socks with sandals and the very charming Kwanzaa storyline Curtis is running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Incredible. :swoon:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I can't believe you've done this.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

You don't need to stretch to hate Ed, give it a few dailies and we'll get a "Dustin is emotionally abused" strip again. Or Kelly is actually on a redemption arc, hah.

Primo avatar material today.

Excellent gloating.
Unicorn-worthy.

Both Wallace strips would make amazing animated gifs.. it really is a top 3 strip.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Sunday Phantom is a different storyline. He rescued a cop from a high tide cell where he was left to starve and drown and let him beat up the dudes who put him there.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Sputter has been hilariously petty enough to bounce off Nancy perfectly. He should be brought back for modern day Nancy.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I don't think new Trail is written with a tone wacky enough to justify 7-8 digits in property damage as a gag. We're reading a serious story about close family fracturing over a father being a crook and a son reporting it for principles of justice and truth. And then, even with the talking animals thing, we're gonna pull a 3 outta 5 on the Family Guy gag scale? Peter walks off screen and everybody forgets it happened?

It's not a big deal or worst author ever, it just really sticks out. And yeah that helicopter is dead. Maybe in a week of strips it'll catch up to Mark and everything will make sense in hindsight.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Tinkersons are a good family because when they clash with each other it's for a simple reason that isn't malicious. The daughter wants to be left alone, the son is lazy, the dad is lazy, the mom wants what is best but is also flawed and human. So "we gotta shovel the snow" leads to a joke about the dad tricking the son instead of some warped idealized memory that has a soft element of abuse like a FOOB strip. Or the son wants to play video games all day and the mom keeps on him to have his homework and chores done instead of some genuine abuse about what a loser he'll become for indulging in a routine relaxation hobby. Also stuff like the daughter standing up for herself to teasing at school and not turning it into "ah jeez time for a very special Tinkersons." The parents don't even mention it past half a strip joke and set up I think.

Even the B cast does this. Dad's boss isn't a sociopathic rampant jackass, he's the same casual bum the dad is about their job. Lights are on, cash flow positive, office good.

It's like golden age Simpsons where you can get dozens of jokes out of Homer's hedonism and Bart's pranks but they're not actually horrible people and the author doesn't lean on you to think that way.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Steve will tell us about the importance of faith and the true meaning of Groundhog's Day tomorrow.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

This is the most laughs I've gotten out of Buck Mild ever, or a value greater than zero.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Oaky Doaks is art.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Last two panels of that Mammila are soothing salve for the soul. Like the opposite of Cruel Little Stories which always make me a tiny bit genuinely upset(so they're ridiculously effective.)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

I thought I was following the story line but what happened to the dad now? Still in his tower? Dead? Deadbeat? meh

Is mentioned in the last comic where cat dude and his gal are watching the kid, the dad and mom are super successful and constantly on business trips because of it. I wonder if hermit dad is in a small ironic hell because of it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

maltesh posted:

The joke's definitely escaping me. What is it?

The black sheep herding black sheep.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

As long as that alien doesn't show up again I'd say Rip Haywire is back to decent.

The stereotypical sheep herder image is of a gentle, often pristine man watching a herd of similarly stereotypically pure white sheep. Here we see a surly fellow enjoying a smoke, enough shorthand for the time to suggest he's a bit of a lout. The black sheep of the family is a term for someone who gets all the bad will and gossip of that family, deserved or not, often for the sole purpose of giving everyone else in the family a chance to punch down on their least successful member. The black sheep is herding black sheep. Even his cute dog is a bit surly.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

*kicks feet up on desk*

Spud is the best character from every comic posted in this thread. You can't change my mind.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Moy looks over several carefully arranged research articles, highlighted book passages and letters from the editor crumpled in rash anger. She looks to Brigman and the two share a flash of understanding, a spark in the eyes. Only an artist/writer duo could understand the twin psyche of creativity and madness necessary to continue a legacy strip. Rivera was brash, boorish, uncultured. Exploding speedboats had no place in the papers... yet she was getting results.

"You want a battered wife story!? WATCH THIS!!!" The two cackled as Brigman's pen flew across the tablet, drawing what lay beyond human understanding out of the void and into our physical realm.

---

This makes the earlier strip about missing him after his death really funny in hindsight. :allears:

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 16, 2021

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Attempted murder. The dog did a bodyguard dive!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

is this the first historical occurrence of the goth girlfriend

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

lookit that guinea pig :3:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

That horrible little imp got some game.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Samovar posted:

Ok, this may sound weird, but I think I may be hard of hearing, but only for speech? I've noticed a number of times that I can hear very faint sounds, sometimes before other people, but I can completely overlook someone speaking either around me or to me if I am otherwise distracted.

Same here. I find a lot of people don't project their voice properly until you let them know you didn't understand their mumbling, which they do by habit.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I thought nerdy girl actually likes Rane and he calls her chest pimples to mock her so she's playing with it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

If the Phantom was a luchador beating the poo poo out of fascist police state goons with these punctuated action panels forever, well, that'd be just swell.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Just another great Sunday ripping my heart in half on behalf of poor Mikko. :unsmith:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

*slams strip onto desk* I'm gonna need a new thread title right now, please and thank you.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The idea that any piece of woodworking isn't dramatically improved by a good fresh finish is just proof of the writer being the sap he thinks he is lampooning.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Fine China is a scam perpetuated by the big wigs that run storage space centers.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I.E Lompoc: You'd have to be crazy to cross the strongest guy in the world! Hahahaha! I'm crossing the strongest guy in the world!

Lothar: I am awake now.

Lompoc: Oh no!!!

Next: Lompoc being dropkicked into a jail cell. :allears:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Yes but did the organist have Movie Cancer?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Retail tends to hit pretty close to home and accurately so Josh is going to be promoted ahead of everyone to another store or leave with an excellent recommendation to advance his career elsewhere, not being invested in the store as his lifetime career path at all. I'm guessing, having only seen what was in thread recently and the last year in the last thread.

Also depressingly true to life and how the strip ends for Marla, Cooper and Val. There isn't justice, there's just change.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

That's actually a really nice save on the boat rampage. It's believable dad wouldn't press charges, etc.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

Gonna go ahead and spoil this since at the rate of two Retails a day it could easily be years before we get to this plot beat which I distinctly remember as signifying the period where Retail was among the thread's top hate reads.

Josh starts to realize he's kind of a little poo poo and tries to get along better with his co-workers but Cooper sabotages him with intentionally terrible advice that just pisses off Marla, who is by this point the store manager. Note that by "terrible advice" I mean it was the worst possible advice for dealing with Marla but not necessarily bad advice in general, and threadheads actually thought this might be a turning point for their relationship until the prank was exposed. Josh's relationship with his co-workers gets worse, and his leaving Grumbel's for the new Delman's next door is touted as a real possibility. Josh threatens to accept a Delman's job offer unless he gets a raise to match what they're offering. Marla finds out, through the word of the inherently untrustworthy Delman's boss, that Josh did not receive an offer, finally sabotaging Josh's relationship even with Stuart, who is now district manager. While Marla and Stuart work to find a replacement so they can fire Josh he finds a new job somewhere else and puts in his two weeks notice. When he calls off Marla for being an rear end in a top hat she has a temper tantrum and fires him- much more a problem for her than Josh, since this relieves him of the two weeks notice responsibility and she has to work double shifts until they finish their search for a replacement.

In summary this is all oddly appropriate. I immediately noticed that Josh's comment in the strip is actually pretty unironically good advice given how in the finale that's what all the characters do and they immediately get much better jobs. But having recalled the finale of the Josh backstory it's very fitting that in his ultimately sympathetic moments, Josh actually follows his own advice and doesn't even think about it. If his work environment sucks he's just going to try and leave it, which catches Marla totally off guard because it had never even occurred to her that Josh really was unhappy with his job and fully prepared to accept the consequences of losing it if his raise bluff hadn't worked.

I'm impressed that the Retail author actually works in good twists and drama for a strip that could coast for decades on ripping off and looping the same Customer Is Always Wrong jokes. Yeah, I thought Josh was ironically 100% correct in telling Cooper to look for new work. The retail profession is a grim beast.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

amigolupus posted:

I've been giving this a try, but Circus Windows isn't really grabbing me, sadly. Most of it is just Mildred and Lottie talking with each other, and as much as I like them, they really need to interact with more weirdos for the mystery to shine. Compare this to Wen-Tack, where Mildred and Milton have the new Mystery Kids to bounce off.

I assume Circus Windows would probably read better once the story's done and you can view all the pages at your leisure.

Even as a fan of all things SGR and Achewood most of Circus Windows has been word salad with almost literally nothing happening and no stakes.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

I'm secure enough to say I laughed at a loving Intelligent Life just because it's in-jokey enough to have come from this thread and its posters. Also Jock giving Nerd the appropriate amount of counter-sass he deserves.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

What would be the worst and most banal outcome possible here? Hmmm. Bernice is going to accidentally implicate Tara as an accomplice. Somehow.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (June 30. 1990)

Somebody run this kid over with a car, tia.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Seems to be a combination of a desire for respect and an inner demand for victory. He probably could have taken his last big scam winning and retired elsewhere for good.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The clown plot in Bad Machinery has really picked up now that things are happening.

I was greatly enjoying that Batman strip, hope How Wonderful! gets some free time back. That reminds me, I've always wanted to contribute to the thread but all the strips I'm interested in seem to be covered. However I've noticed one has fallen by the wayside and whether my fellow goon has been ambushed by IRL or grown tired of posting, I think it's a great strip that deserves daily attention. I've certainly only picked up on great strips by having a chance to see them following this thread.

Jucika (yoo-si-ka) by Pál Pusztai ran from 1957 to 1970, "featuring a young, independent woman, frequently in risqué situations." It was rediscovered by the internet recently and the obvious quality of humor and risqué situations made it a cult classic. I'll be posting two strips a day thanks to two excellent twitter accounts, Jucika Daily(Random Strips) and Jucika In Order. Feel free to binge there! One will be a random strip as 13 years seems a tall order to enjoy so many of the more popular latter strips.

Jucika "1 - Jucika and Mud"

"Jucika and the Sunbathing"

As per Maryland tradition it has been 40 degrees or even higher this month and everybody is free to dress for summer!

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I know Luann is terrible as a matter of principle but could some unrelated cast member run in from off camera and tell Bets that actual restaurants exist