Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

I can't even tell what's going on in this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Pastry of the Year posted:

Garfield Classic (May 6, 1989)

So when exactly did odie's owner cease to exist?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (February 21, 1918)

Everett is canceled.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Haifisch posted:

:allears:

2017 Spiderman

Me (1500M) with my wife (19F). She doesn't understand my rivalry with my former boss.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

BigDave posted:

Putting black pepper into some kind of stew doesn't make you to be a badass

Worse, I'm pretty sure that's loving salt. It's white and chunky.

Judging by bottles, the others are like... old bay and oregano. Garbage tasteless spices for middle aged ladies.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Stultus Maximus posted:

As recently demonstrated.

What i really love about dilbert is that he is now exactly the moron who doesn't know he's a moron that adams wrote the boss as when the comic was young.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Pastry of the Year posted:

Garfield Classic (May 18, 1989)

I hate puppies

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

The Bloop posted:

I don't understand why people defend her like she's a real person who's being mischaracterized. She's literally a character, so any characterization is just how she is.

It's not good writing but she doesn't have an honor to defend

Because it reflects deeply hosed up attitudes the author holds.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

The Bloop posted:

Sure but that's not how it's framed at all.

Well, sometimes it is obviously, but those aren't the times I'm taking about.

I don't personally need or want to be reminded of the framing that evans wants to punish the people who were mean to him in high school by proxy every time it comes out as inexcusably bad writing. But I don't mind people pointing out that he's doing it again.

It'd be like pointing out that brooke is blatantly writing his weird fetishes every time that turns into a hosed up strip

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

I'm I becoming a boomer? I actually think this is a pretty good point.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
That movie about a moomin who finds out he's a clone

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

A self-describing comic.

What. even. is. this.

I normally skip over holbrook, and all discussion of holbook as a deeply costly thing for my sanity otherwise. But what the gently caress? Am I supposed to know this character, who we only know as someone elses' daughter, so well that this completely nonsensical series of panels somehow forms a coherent thought. And not only that but find it funny?

What the gently caress was going through holbrook's head? A bubble test makes no sense? Why? Is it supposed to be anti-humor about how the strip itself makes no sense up until the last panel? Is there some characteristic to "Autocorrect"(are they an actual character or literally the concept of autocorrect?) that would make them fill out a bubble test in that way?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Julet Esqu posted:

"YOU LOOK BEAUTIFUL"
"HONEY, THERE IS NOT MUCH THOSE JEANS CAN DO BECAUSE YOU ARE ALREADY THIN."
"I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT FASHION, BUT I DO KNOW THAT YOU LOOK FANTASTIC."

Of course, if you don't think she looks great in those jeans, it's safe to tell her they don't flatter her. And if you think she looks like a dump truck in general, please do look in a mirror sometime. It is such an easy question to answer, you doofus.

Bernice is allegedly Luann's best friend. If Luann is having a romantic rendezvous (she is absolutely not), then that is prime material for telling your best friend. But these two aren't even willing to talk to each other when they have a crush. It's sad.

However, there's plenty of room for extremely smug faces.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
And no one could be happy that a sexual interaction happened, unless it's to make children that one of those involved doesn't want.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Seriously though, what happened to that jumping like 4 grades thing.

Where'd it go.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

It's pretty rare to get a far side that doesn't land anymore.

But this one doesn't land anymore.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

I really wish I could find online the follow up panel that was on all the far side calendars where the kid is crying and pounding on the door.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Julet Esqu posted:

There are so many ways that this could go wrong.

Much as I don't care for Luanne or evans, isn't setting up a situation where a lot could go wrong... good writing? Doesn't that do things like create narrative tension?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

I feel like this is a paid apple ad now.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
I can't wait to find out the twist ending to Hellen

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

I love that even with this very simple art style she looks so totally dejected after that comment.

She's definitely innocent

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Honestly I'm surprised that's not enough to start getting him literally cancelled

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Parahexavoctal posted:

In this installment of The Timid Soul (February 20, 1933), it's interesting to realize that typewriters were once seen as decadent and modern.

Look at the detail on that furniture - and the interplay between the shadows and the reflections.

Caspar almost managed to prevent posting. So close.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Wait. The main characters of this comic are cops?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Parahexavoctal posted:

This installment of The Timid Soul, from January 30, 1933 (two weeks earlier), pretty clearly indicates that Webster is making GBS threads on the Technocracy Movement in specific.

Bassett Jones was an electrical engineer who was mentioned in many Technocracy Movement contexts, but I'm not really sure who he was.

God the singularity nuts were exactly the same a century ago. They went from polynomial to exponential improvement magically happening, but otherwise were saying exactly the same nonsense, expressing progress as a simple formula. Nerds. Nerds never change.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

The Bloop posted:

But what about when I want to write about the emotional significance of their nipple posture or that they are having a woman's period? Huh what then

What she wants out of life? Goals and beliefs? Self doubts and fears?

I don't know man... Do any of those bounce and jiggle when you walk?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Okay, we finally figured out what office department makes this comic. Thanks.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Parahexavoctal posted:

This installment of The Timid Soul was published November 5, 1928 -- the day before the 1928 Presidential election (Al Smith vs Herbert Hoover). It's interesting to see such an obvious precursor to the bumper sticker being displayed on the windshield instead.

I honestly can't tell if Caspar supporting Hoover meant that Webster supported Hoover too, or thought he was a worthless idiot - which was probably intentional. Don't want to piss off readers.

Look at all that gorgeous detail on the car. You can even read the license plate. And there's no need to have a tree in the panel, much less a wire cage protecting the tree, but as I've said before: HT Webster absolutely loved to draw.

The joke is he has both stickers.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Quiet acknowledgement of washington as a slaver

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Sluggo is soc-lit-es

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Compu-toon dipping into lucidity to be criminally depressing owns

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Where's my loving money

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Hobnob posted:

Yeah, honestly this one is fine. If it was an Arlo & Janis strip most here would find it cute.

Arlo and Janis wouldn't have that conversation in front of their adult son so his disgust would be the punchline

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

This took me a while to get because zeus+naked woman+shower already has a story associated with it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

I never realized how much of this strip is phoebe being racist to marigold's friends.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
What is the bunny's relationship to nekonaughty anyways?

Patron? Roommate? Friend? Lover?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Manuel Calavera posted:

squits

Family Circus

This is a solid-rear end joke for family circus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Ghostlight posted:

Tetēnusagi

Um.