Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

nishi koichi posted:

i wish billingsley had more chances to stretch his artistic legs, he’s a great cartoonist
It's really unfortunate that he's a pretty terrible writer for the setting he's picked. Very occasionally he strikes gold, like this absolute masterpiece from last year:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

catlord posted:

I wish it was easier to get the Sam and Max comics. Unless the price dropped suddenly recently, poo poo's 'spensive.
10-15 years ago I always used to eye the collection on amazon but always figured there was no rush and I'd get it eventually. Don't think I'll ever really leave that behind me.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Didn't know that one yet and it got me good

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

I just want to mention that when True refers to 'beating and tarring and feathering' here, he's referring to a specific incident that came to be known as the Tulsa Outrage, where 16 members of the IWW (plus one innocent bystander) were violently rounded up by the police from the local IWW headquarters and promptly charged and convicted of vagrancy. That night they found themselves being 'transferred' back to the IWW headquarters by police when they were 'ambushed' by a local KKK sect who then took custody of the unionists and drove them out of town where they were stripped naked, tied to a tree, then whipped before being famously tarred and feathered, and finally as they watched the KKK burn all of their clothing in a bonfire they were told to never return to town.
It's worth mentioning that this wasn't (primarily) because they were anarchists or unionists, but because the IWW was vocally opposed to the war. One of their members had already been lynched for his antiwar statements, and a further one hundred and sixty of them had received significant jail terms for conspiracy to hinder the draft and conspiracy to encourage desertion.
Everett True constantly beats up pacifists and antiwar proponents too, so it's nothing if not consistent, but I've never quite understood why the thread keeps celebrating him this much. Establishing a strong figure who says and does what society is too polite to, "keeps the streets clean" of everyday pests and then extending the violence to political enemies here and there to normalize it is a communication tactic straight out of the fascist propaganda playbook.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

He encourages people to pay their taxes and, beats up child abusers and doesn’t slap around his abusive wife so he’s really a mixed bag.
I just don't think that really makes up for the "the literal KKK operation was too good for you unwashed anarchists" angle

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 6, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Moomin and the Tommyknockers

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Slammy posted:

Dinky Fellas (March 30, 1965)

"1965 plus 20, that's 1985... oh :("

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

oh poo poo everyone it's Steve Kelley with his soapbox and they're here to tell us what's what about those newfangled guitar bands

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Huh, that Dustin kinda came around.

I'd noticed they had two guitars at first and changed to guitar and bass, and I was all ready to be sarcastic about it too ("worked for the Cramps", "someone told Parker how many strings a bass has" etc.), but now I can only say good job setting it up.

e: I wouldn't hold out hope, Dustin and Ed regularly go golfing together in harmony and it isn't helping the strip.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's a lot of things to "be" in this Curtis but I think I'm the Ed Sullivan style "introducing" on a rap video Curtis is ostensibly watching on the internet in 2020

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Selachian posted:

(Rorschach looked surprisingly like Brad Pitt.)
Although to be fair, not everyone sees that in him.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Bloop posted:

I think it's funny that the Mr Boop version of Betty Boop is actually an idealized version
That comic's got layers, doesn't it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

motherfucker you steppin on my turf, it's on

440-449 is basically "French". Yeah sure, that works. Dustin knowing that, even Dustin being aware of the DDC enough to research and prepare the joke, shows him to be much more competent and/or motivated than I'm sure this arc will concede he is. Depending on your position you might not need to know the classification details even as an actual librarian.

Gotta be frustrating to think up titles for the background books only to have them rendered illegible by the low res reproduction. I can make out Chess Tips and Home & Hearth and something that can't possibly be Kidney of Faust.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

either Mark's got a shrinking punch or the boat is deceptively long

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

catlord posted:

(the death-ray one is my dad's)
I'm waiting if that will come up :allears:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Aaah, there's the angle. Kelley got kicked out of the library.

Libraries are moving on from the "silence at all times" bit. A popular new model especially for public libraries is to have them as a place of public gathering and exchange; still in an educational context, of course, but they do try to set aside some space for people to have conversations, do projects and so on. That being said: they're still also places for study and research. And not every library will have the budget or architectural freedom to provide "loud" areas that aren't "the outside."

Reshelving policy is very much up to the individual library and both patrons or staff doing it have their minor advantages and disadvantages, in the grand scheme it's low priority. Food and drink: I absolutely guarantee you you'd rather deal with the slight inconvenience of taking your snacks outside than with the cost of replacing a book you got a chocolate smear on or that got soaked in coffee when you accidentally elbow checked your cup. (Not that a flimsy lid on the cup is going to help you much. I've seen libraries insist on screw-top bottles only.) Incidentally, one reason the library might not want patrons to reshelve the books is so the staff can check them for damage.

It's not that the job doesn't attract its fair share of rules-obsessed old spinsters. However, the library and library books are in a sense the common property of a community, and it comes as absolutely no surprise that Kelley feels a disdain for that concept that manifests in reducing the processes that are in place to maintain and govern the common property to a hair-bunned matron figure with a chip on her shoulder. What a strange position to take, too, when you've made your wise adult identification character a lawyer.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh yeah a library would probably not have only the DDC category on the front of the shelf, too, you'd have a plain English description as well. Or for all I know that might be how American libraries do it but that seems inconvenient.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Okay, so.

Most likely another patron has the book checked out and Dustin is going by the set return date when he says Thursday. That's reasonable enough; personally in that situation I always point out to patrons that it might still be returned late. Or, on the other hand, early. Alternatively, the book might also still be in acquisitions or cataloguing. If the library just ordered the book it'll be there whenever it gets delivered, if it's being processed it'll be available when the cataloguers are good and ready. Point is: there are few scenarios where you'd know exactly, just from checking in the system at circulation or reference, when a book will definitely be available to patrons.

Dustin has several options here, but none of them are really that great. If the book is out on loan he could offer the man to place a reservation on it. He could also try checking for another copy of the book - digital copy, different edition or different library branch are all reasonable options. He could also try an inter-library loan, although at least in the system I'm familiar with, that would take weeks. If it's in cataloguing he could well call them up and see if it could be fast-tracked cause a patron needs it today, that's a perfectly reasonable request to make. As a temp worker he'd be excused for not knowing any of that off-hand.

Sometimes the reality of the situation is simply that the library doesn't have the book and can't offer any options that satisfy the patron's specific needs re: availability timeframe. Although we usually try to tell them more tactfully.

I'm not sure if this is a "the customer is unreasonable" strip or a "the service person is unhelpful/Dustin is a fuckup" strip. It's structured like the former but the strip's bread and butter is very much the latter.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The_Other posted:

The patron said that they could have driven to the other library and gotten it in under a hour ("so why didn't you do that?" I thought).
My area has three universities within close distance of each other, whenever someone asks me about inter-library loans I make sure to tell them to check the other two libraries first. Our student IDs are valid library cards in all three and also serve as public transport tickets so it's just about as hassle-free as I could imagine, except of course for the effort and time (and the coronavirus but well).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

EBB posted:

maybe put the baby in your own room you selfish poo poo
Really takes a special kind of parent writer to make the story not "I can't get any sleep cause the baby wakes me up" but "I can't get any sleep because the baby wakes up my daughter who then complains".

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Johnny Walker posted:

I think you're right. It's just not a well-done action sequence.
Not helped by the fact that it looks like preliminary sketches to the final art.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's repeating topics already, too. We've been over the reshelving bit.

Only thing I can think of to say is that books do, of course, have call numbers that tell you where the books go. And that even without engaging with the call numbers, most patrons would know to put a book back roughly where they took it from. Can I picture a patron just looking for "the cooking section", taking a book, and later reshelving it into travel because of brainfarts? I absolutely can.

Again, Dustin is being much more polite and constructive than he or service staff are usually portrayed. I'm starting to wonder if something's up, too.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

HEY NOW

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tensing up the right fist, winding up with the right arm, hitting Mark with the left fist, right arm outstretched in final panel.

I feel like even James Allen would have got that.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Actually what would happen in real libraries in a similar situation is

nah it's just a bit of obvious fun innit :v:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Johnny Walker posted:

How do you check surge protectors?
"mmmyep, still there"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Selachian posted:

That can happen when you're bound so tightly with tension and anger you approach a state of rigor mortis.
I appreciate this.

also finding a complete run of that would be quite a scoop. I might try my hand at it if I don't forget.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

amigolupus posted:

Someone mentioned before that the lighting on the Sunday strips was pretty bad since Jules makes Mark's skin look really shiny and almost-white. The lighting on this strip is way better and I hope Jules sticks with it.
I did! I believe I used the word "greasepaint". :)

I need to point out, just because I found it so baffling: it wasn't almost white, it was literally stark white. R255 G255 B255, #FFFFFF, no way to get any whiter on a screen. It's like there was a whole coloring layer missing. It really does look much better this way. We had one Sunday strip with that coloring a while ago, and that looked great too, but then it went back into the white shade for a while.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (March 1918)

Everett True: due process is un-American

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Staring behind you...
At.

I particularly like these two:
The first one for how Addams renders the ferryman in this blurred style that contrasts with the clear linework in the rest of the cartoon and makes him feel like not quite part of the world. I can very easily see, say, Mother Goose & Grimm doing the exact same joke and just drawing a cloaked skeleton in the regular style.

The second one because it actually portrays an issue that's hitting museums these days (probably has been for a while): indigenous people registering strong complaints that objects the museums display purely as interesting objects from another culture actually hold very strong spiritual significance for these cultures and more likely than not have been stolen by colonialists back in the day.

That really would make a great gangtag. Probably was the 1950s equivalent of a neckbearded gamer type.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Technowolf posted:

Mark is white.
let's wait until next Sunday and see if the coloring change sticks before we get sarcastic again

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

not sure I like Kevin & Kell's new direction

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dream sequence or not it's not really any better when Jules Rivera decides to just gently caress everything I'ma draw Action Mark for a few weeks because I can than when James Allen does.

Sunday strips are really good though!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Selachian posted:

Richard's Poor Almanac(k)

Not gonna lie, every year when either tax day, the start of the new school year or whatever day Pumpkin Spice stuff shows up are about to roll around, it sure as hell feels like panel 3.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean, I automatically assumed My Summer Car didn't come from nowhere.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nothing but the prospect of his own personal gratification can motivate Ed Kudlick to help those in need. He is incapable of seeing charity as anything other than a business transaction, and not only accepts this as a system, but also tries to game it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Are we supposed to think the kids are being unreasonable here? :confused:
It's Foob

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

OK, can anyone explain this one to me? Is it just that it's cold in St. Petersburg?
Pretty sure it's just "American girls young and pretty, Russian women elderly housewives" with a touch of either "that's the best Russia can come up with" or "that's the kind of woman the Russians value more" depending on how charitable you're feeling towards 1940s attitudes.

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (March 22, 1951)

Is anyone else getting huge MAD vibes from these?

That does seem to be an inordinate amount of effort for the graphics designer to go to for a textbook cover with 80s technology (which, pretty much paper and scissors and glue I reckon).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

:doh:

and that, kids, is why we don't discount the historical context of what things were like when a strip was written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh man it's like Smokey Stover is deliberately drawing this out for a 2021 audience :allears: