Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1978 Spiderman

Reminder that the NSM thread is posting this incredible storyline:

Johnny Walker posted:

This is like an all-time top 5 storyline I'm so glad I went back for this.

1978 Comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Slammy posted:

And He Did! (December 22, 1917)

And She Dyed!

riderchop posted:

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

These Flash Forwards are getting really weird.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I guess I never introduced my comics this thread so:

2017 Spiderman

Newspaper Spiderman is the dumbest living thing in his universe, easily defeated by bricks, and constantly having insane poo poo happen around him. Unfortunately the strip ended in 2019, but I've spent the past couple years posting strips since 1999. We're currently up to 2017. If you want to look at old NSM, there's a handy archive in the OP of the NSM thread.

1978 Comics are an assortment of comics I found interesting. They're harvested from the google newspaper scans of The Evening Independent, a St Petersburg, Florida-based paper.

1978 Mary Worth is notable for lacking a lot of the regular cast modern Mary Worth revolves around, and for interesting things actually happening in it every once in a while.
1978 NSM is NSM, except Peter is angrier and Carol exists to give MJ a rival for Peter's attention. We're currently in the middle of a 'I quit being Spiderman, for real this time!' arc.
1978 Rex Morgan is notable because it's actually about medical(or at least hospital) drama most of the time. It also lacks the insufferable precocious children, Mr. Diabetes, and several other not-medical-professional characters the modern strip expects you to care about.
1978 Nancy is Bushmiller Nancy, near the tail-end of his run.

And because I can, here's the other strips in this paper's comics section:
Travels with Farley got a test run last thread, but quickly revealed itself to be too center-right for everyone's tastes. It replaced Inside Woody Allen a few in-paper months ago, which is an improvement on the grounds that it does not contain Woody Allen.
Wizard of Id is Wizard of Id.
Beetle Bailey is Beetle Bailey.
Redeye is like if Hagar the Horrible was a)less good and b) about Native Americans. Despite the extremely stereotypical depictions in the art, the actual writing/humor is inoffensive and typically pretty bland.
Wright Angles is made by a chud. Most of it is bland but sometimes it'll start making fun of teachers/that newfangled "women's lib movement"/radio djs(this once took up an entire week of strips and I wish I was joking). It's only interesting in how bad it is.
The Girls is about The Girls. I don't pay enough attention to it to know if there's a consistent cast of Girls or not. It mostly seems to be bland jokes.
Marmaduke is a demon hound that will someday consume us all.
Dear Abby is not a comic strip, but sometimes has something interesting enough for me to post. She's notable for being impressively progressive about LGBTQ people & weirdly conservative about having sex/cohabiting before marriage.

Locher Tracy is Dick Tracy from the Tiny Hands Tracy era. I post this instead of modern tracy because it's weird enough to be entertaining & not completely up its own rear end with references.

Origins of the Sunday Comics is what it says on the tin. Sometimes it reruns old ones but I'm not really complaining. It's curated by someone on Gocomics.

Footrot Flats is about a New Zealand sheepdog that really needs to get his tapeworm medicine.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

This whole arc keeps reminding me of this great post by one of our very own goon nurses:

Elise the Great posted:

It’s pathophysiology time, motherfuckers. (That will be the title of my children’s network show someday.)

We kinda tend to think of insulin and sugar as polar opposites. Too much insulin and your sugar goes away and your brain tissues starve; too little insulin and your blood sugar goes up and, uh, this is bad. Somehow.

That’s really just part of the picture. Yes, the syrupy-thick blood is super bad. Sugar is corrosive to the blood vessels (just ask any nurse who’s pushed dextrose 50% into an IV and watched the vein blow) and over time even moderately high blood sugars rip and scar your arteries and veins. This is incredibly bad for things like your legs, which are the farthest from your heart and have a hard time getting blood back and forth to begin with. A few years of sticky scratchy sugar blood, and the nerves die from poor circulation, wounds stop healing because no blood is getting to them, and eventually your legs just rot off. The syrupy-sweet blood is just fudge sauce on the leg-flesh sundae that bacteria love to eat. This is why diabetics lose their legs. (The nerve damage is why diabetics go blind.)

Your kidneys, likewise, are almost entirely made of blood vessels. Too much sugar gouging out your kidneys = scarred up kidney circuits that are too damaged to let the water through. Bonus: when your blood sugar is insanely high, your kidneys can try to compensate by squeezing sugar directly out through your blood filters, which lets you piss away the dangerously gooey stuff… but rips holes in your filters, essentially. This is why diabetics have kidney failure and end up on dialysis.

On top of all that, your heart and brain blood vessels get shredded to boot, which is why diabetics have so many strokes and heart attacks. Diabetes is bad poo poo.

But there’s something even more dangerous than just having your blood turn into razor soup. Thick, dense blood is like a sponge, sucking water out of your tissues (read: organs and muscles). When your body enters a diabetic crisis, you become so thirsty you can’t loving stand it. Undiagnosed diabetics are often spotted because they pack a couple gallon jugs of water to bed with them when they sleep at night. And as soon as their blood thins out a little, their kidneys dump all that new water in an attempt to flush out the sugar, further ripping themselves to shreds… which is why undiagnosed diabetics are also often spotted because they pee themselves in public or spend 2/3 of their day pissing away the gallons of water they’re chugging.

Soda-fountain guy was thirsty as gently caress, and all his body’s instincts were telling him to slam a bunch of liquid. But why the gently caress choose soda syrup? What the hell?

To answer that one, let’s get back to what insulin does. It doesn’t magically make sugar go away; your cells have their mouths locked shut to keep them from eating every drat thing that goes by, and insulin is the key that unlocks them. If your body doesn’t make insulin (because it destroyed all its own insulin cells), fuckin blows to be you, because your cells will starve surrounded by delicious food. If your body is fat as hell and all that fat is secreting endocrine poo poo to inform your body that you have enough loving food to last you a month, your cells become insulin-resistant and it takes a lot more insulin to open those locks. (This part is the least-understood part of the whole fat ---> diabetes cascade, but while we don’t know exactly how it happens, we do know that excess fat leads almost inevitably to insulin resistance, and the ‘almost’ is generous.)

So now your cells can’t eat. Your blood is getting thicker because the onslaught of sugar isn’t slowing, but your cells are starving to death, being ripped apart by sludgy sugar sauce, and having all the water sucked out of them by your spongey thick blood. Insulin also allows your cells to eat the potassium they need to keep their internal pumps running, so now your potassium is backing up, causing your blood to become acidic, and making all your cell’s pumps run backward. In desperation, your cells start burning protein, which is a really poor energy source because it’s actually the cell’s furniture and tools. At this point, poo poo inside your cells is so bad that instead of putting food on the table, they’re chewing on the table legs in case the varnish is edible.

This is why that poor motherfucker was drinking sugar syrup. He was literally starving to death.

Many diabetics think they have low blood sugar right up until they realize their blood sugar is actually high—their cells just can’t eat any of it.

Broken-down proteins and fats produce ketones. Starving cells produce lactic acid. Between those two and all the extra potassium, your blood turns to acid in your veins. Over time, your kidneys might have been able to slowly compensate for that by secreting bicarbonate, but right now they’re busy squeezing sugar and potassium out through their battered assholes. The only other way your body can try to fix the whole ‘acid blood’ problem is by blowing off as much carbon dioxide as possible, since carbon dioxide is acidic when dissolved in blood. Soon you’re sobbing for air like you’ve been running a marathon (another situation in which stressed-out and starving cells dump tons of lactic acid), your body is so dehydrated you’re losing your mind and your organs are failing, your cells are so hungry they’re literally eating themselves, and so much potassium is backed up in your blood that your heart’s muscle-pumps get overwhelmed by the back-pressure and your heart just… stops.

Diabetic ketoacidosis, DKA, is a horrible way to die.
Mind your glucose levels, kids.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

PainterofCrap posted:

I started scanning Homebodies, which came along in 1954, but now that I have the earliest one in the set - Addams and Evil from 1947, I'm tempted to go with that. Any thoughts?
Thanks for posting Monster Rally! As for what's next: :justpost:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I'm enjoying Alec's descent into madness.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

Bonus: cursed ad arrangements.

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
"You're a vigilante!"

"Yes, duh, and I only ever fight obvious bad guys so this is never going to be morally questionable in-strip."

:stare:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Is that really all there is to diagnosing type-2? I guess it makes sense I just never thought about it.
That really is it. Buck did the 'random glucose>200+diabetes symptoms' and 'fasting glucose>126' ones. If this was real life Rex would probably throw in an A1C too just because those are quick and easy & give a longer term view of how your glucose levels have been. The glucose tolerance test isn't used that much ime because nobody wants to sit around for hours when there's a faster alternative.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

Saoshyant posted:

Here's the follow up Sunday strip for that 70's story, because it's worth knowing what this story is going to be about.

Are you ready? It's Disco. The whole episode is going to be about Disco, with John Romita drawing period clothing and Stan Lee trying to do hip dialogue.

And it rules!

Bonus: Who thought this illustration should go with this poem?

Also spotted in the ads:

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

EasyEW posted:

(Ellison Hoover)
As someone who has been to Detroit: That's about right.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Dinette Set knows recycling is where you find it.

Using plastic grocery bags for bathroom garbage cans & cat litter is a time-honored tradition, thank you. :colbert:

2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

Mostly adding this one because now I'm wondering how recently it was that most people would assume whipped cream came from a can by default:

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

karmicknight posted:

the Unknown Commander is basically a cult figure for the Jungle Patrol. Which is super hosed up actually.
Basically everything about the Phantom is super hosed up if you think about it for more than a minute.

(similar varieties of 'this is kinda hosed up' apply to a lot of pulpy action stuff/vigilante hero stuff and doesn't mean it's bad, but, y'know)

:emptyquote:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Vargo posted:

Wallace

:allears:

2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Evil Mastermind posted:

Jesus Christ how does this get past a loving editor?
How much would you need to be paid to actually look at 9CL every time Brooke sends in a new batch of strips?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Julet Esqu posted:

Maybe it's just because I live in an area that is subject to rolling blackouts (and the occasional storm knocking down power lines), but I have flashlights around? And a couple of portable lanterns? Then again, they allegedly live in California, so they should be prepared for blackouts, too.
A ton of people don't have emergency stuff on hand even if they ought to. (myself included - the closest thing I have to a flashlight is my phone and maybe some lovely tiny flashlight keychain I got from work. but I can bumble around my apartment just fine in the dark & I can't think of a power outage I've experienced that lasted more than ~10 minutes, so fixing that hasn't really been a priority)

Although the people who don't have a flashlight on hand are not going to be the people who have an emergency radio/light on hand, so :shrug: on that front.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

ikanreed posted:

Worse, I'm pretty sure that's loving salt. It's white and chunky.

Judging by bottles, the others are like... old bay and oregano. Garbage tasteless spices for middle aged ladies.
Reminder that this comic makes garlic out as something super intense and smelly, and that even looking at a jalapeno makes you hardcore.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Dustin really does live in a world where all women hate him on sight for no apparent reason. :smith:

Although I think this is the first time he's been straight-up assaulted over it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (May 18, 1999)

I love how A&J makes the parents believeable. Arlo's obviously wrong(what middle schooler would give a single gently caress about some dumb boat their parents are looking at?) but it's not presented as mean spirited from any angle.

Selachian posted:

Richard's Poor Almanac

Yes, Richard Thompson dissed the Spider-Man robot gorilla story!
I can't believe I'm saying this, but Thompson had no taste. :smith:

2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Bogor needs to chill the gently caress out.

Pancho Jueves posted:

It bugs me that the artist almost always draws the characters crammed in the bottom half of the panel. I can't unsee it now that I've noticed it.
Thanks, now I can't unsee it either.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 19, 2021

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 Comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics, spoilered for racial caricature

Footrot Flats

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

FrumpleOrz posted:

Sherman's Lagoon

Sherman's Lagoon is generally whatever enough that I don't mind spending 10 seconds reading it(alhough I wouldn't bother if it wasn't right next to Hagar), but the repeated 'go potty' phrasing in this storyline is getting to me. Was 'go to the bathroom' too crude for the funny pages?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

The only way to live.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Technowolf posted:

Mark is white.
And related to someone who has some degree of local power, even if they're not exactly on good terms.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

davidspackage posted:

I'm starting to wonder what time it's supposed to be, where it's pitch black but everyone appears to be doing their daily stuff.
Lots of places are dark by 5pm during the winter months. It's probably giving Team Evans too much credit though, and they just didn't think about it beyond 'power out=dark'.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Julet Esqu posted:

As far as I know, the family has two vehicles. One is Ellie's crappy unreliable family car and the other is Jon's fancy expensive flashy impractical sports car. What's she expecting the kid to learn on? (I feel like if professional driving lessons were an option, he'd have mentioned it. Also, as much as I generally find Ellie to be unpleasant and overly naggy, I feel like she could justifiably be bitching a lot more about the car disparity.)
The charitable read is that it's a lazy 'lol teen drivers are going to ruin any nice car they get behind the wheel of' joke, and a real person worried about that would buy Michael a cheap used car to drive(or in Elly's case, keep her old lovely car for his use).

The less charitable read is that she's letting him get a license because That's What's Done but either didn't think far enough ahead to get to the 'but what car will he drive?' part or figured she wouldn't allow him to drive without her supervision until he somehow buys his own car.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

I am 1000% here for DJ Peter.

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

davidspackage posted:

"There's constant pressure to create cute expressions at bridge clubs" is bizarrely specific.
I'm 99% sure that was just the old equivalent of parents posting whatever cute thing their kid (supposedly) said on social media.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (February 12, 1918)

Would True be happier if he let his stock of meat rot?

The meatless thing was a suggestion and not a law, by the way:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meatless_Monday posted:

During World War I, US President Woodrow Wilson issued a proclamation calling for every Tuesday to be meatless and for one meatless meal to be observed every day, for a total of nine meatless meals each week.[5] The United States Food Administration (USFA) urged families to reduce consumption of key staples to help the war effort and avoid rationing. Conserving food would support U.S. troops as well as feed populations in Europe where food production and distribution had been disrupted by the war. To encourage voluntary rationing, the USFA created the slogan “Food Will Win the War” and coined the terms "Meatless Tuesday" and "Wheatless Wednesday” to remind Americans to reduce intake of those products.[6]

Herbert Hoover was the head of the Food Administration as well as the American Relief Association during Woodrow Wilson's presidency, and played a key role implementing the campaign, which was one of Hoover's many attempts to encourage volunteerism and sacrifice among Americans during the war. The USFA provided a wide variety of materials in addition to advertising, including recipe books and menus found in magazines, newspapers and government-sponsored pamphlets.[7]

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Vargo posted:

PARACHUTE DAY

PARACHUTE DAY is one of the few things I remember about both elementary gym class and Sunday School, and Wallace captures the feeling perfectly. :allears:

CommonShore posted:

So no farther mention of the ridiculous number of crimes that Mark did?
Mark is clearly calling from a flowery void, maybe his hallucinations are still going. :tinfoil:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (March 1918)

Born 80 years too soon.

JethroMcB posted:

The other day I drafted a post criticizing Heathcliff, saying that it is a strip you can safely scroll past because, for as "crazy" as it is is, most of the time it's just something like Heathcliff and the kid watching a pug driving a Go-kart with a pug's face on the front, and the kid says "Pug-Kart." And that's it. Then, two weeks later, you'd see the exact same visual gag but now there would be two pugs driving and the caption would be "Go-Pugs." The strip isn't just lazy, it's repetitive.

I wound up not posting it because I thought "What do I care, that's a hyperbolic take; it lands a joke every now and then and it's not that derivative." Then, this week:

To quote Nick Wiger in that article about modern Heathcliff, “I think I am actually mad.”
Yeah, I think that's the same reason the weirdness bounces off me - yes, something like MEAT TANK is zany, but it's the same zany over and over. At least it's not completely up its own rear end like Zippy is?

How Wonderful! posted:

It also includes these following transphobic gems, which, no lie, shoved me all the way into the back of the closet in despair and disgust in college when I first read the drat book, so this page has turned into a true loving bummer to annotate!

She was also the dissertation advisor to Janice Raymond, who would go on to publish her thesis as the foundational TERF text The Transsexual Empire.

Young Bechdel, get your poo poo together!

Big oof. :smith:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Selachian posted:

Richard's Poor Almanac

Well this sure aged interestingly.

I can't be assed to do my 70s comics right now so have a shorter post:

2017 Spiderman

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Bernice does not know happiness. She only knows judgement.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Vargo posted:

Curtis

Well don't be a dick about it if you want it to happen again, Greg!
What is it with parents who see their kid finally doing something they wanted them to do and immediately poke fun at them for it?

Tendales posted:

jesus dog just be happy for your friend for once
I like Footrot Flats(shocking as the guy who posts it, I know) but yeah, it gets old seeing the dog be Like That about Wal romancing women.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
HIPAA doesn't work like that, Elvis. :colbert:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Uh, what?
"The suit reminded her of an abusive ex" did occur to me but I didn't think that was where MW would actually take it.

Meanwhile I'm fully expecting this to be Luann staging an elaborate lie just to go "haha you DO like Jack!".

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

Is this the rear end in a top hat who became a millionaire overnight and immediately went full 'gently caress you got mine'? I think he is.

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Some Guy TT posted:

Huh. I just read it as she wanted to do something nice for him because he was clearly working hard on something difficult that was important to him and she wanted to be supportive, not that she was literally expecting him to explain it to her. Basically the opposite of those gags we see where a parent gives their kid a hard time for doing something productive on account of it being out of character.
It's a 'parents just don't understand' strip except in the realistic way where the parent is being nice, just missing what the teen thinks is a clear signal.

2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

Bonus incredibly petty Dear Abby:

Locher Tracy

Apparently this arc is a reprint from 1993 according to a stray gocomics commenter.

Footrot Flats

This dog seriously needs to chill the gently caress out already.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 2, 2021