Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This is the absolute best thread, and so much work goes into it from so many people.

I'm just grateful. Thank you, posters!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

kidcoelacanth posted:

Time to take care of some unfinished business.

Mr. Mr. Boop

Comics Thread: Alec Robbins revolutionizes our perceptions of body in space with his hit webcomic "self-insert threesomes his way out of marital problems, runs out of jokes then does a mental-illness bit at his own expense."

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vargo posted:

The "grand finale" of Mr. Boop was put up about an hour ago and hey, it's stupid garbage! Like the rest of the strip!

I know it's a favorite around here but I really loving hate Mr Boop.

I think it disappeared from the thread at the exact correct time.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

riderchop posted:

No new Rae the Doe on weekends!

Every time I see this, I'm amazed it's been a whole week again. Objectively, I know it's Saturday, but also it feels like I had this exact same thought 2 or 3 days ago.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Lol at the idea of Nu-Mark Trail ever outgrowing the eye-poking.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Deduction of points for having a star inside the crescent moon, a thing I never noticed until someone pointed it out, and now it drives me insane every time I see it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
"Axa I'm worried about you swimming in unfamiliar water. If you don't come back up quickly enough, I'm going to leave you and go to an unspecified port."

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

NRVNQSR posted:

The "if you don't understand an Arlo and Janis it's about sex" rule feels less helpful than ever these days.

Maybe K.T. Oslin? But even then I'm not clear why, plus I would have thought Johnson's lead time was longer than that.

The FB fans group says it is KT Olsin, presumably because of this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWqNzbPsD2o

lyrics posted:

We've been educated.
We got liberated.
And had complicating matters with men.
Oh, we've said "I do"
And we've signed "I don't"
And we've sworn we'd never do that again.
Oh, we burned our bras,
And we burned our dinners
And we burned our candles at both ends.
And we've had some children
Who look just like the way we did back then.

e: She died just before Christmas, so there we go.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 11, 2021

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jesus Christ, "Philippe is standing on it" will be 20 years old in December.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Absolutely brokenhearted at being unable to reach getseniorsonline.org this morning. Googling the phrase takes you to a Facebook group that has seen one update since 2013. The link off the group won't respond, and neither will going directly there.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

lawd have mercy

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I love you news paper comics thread. Where else on the same page can you get a quiet rumination on ageing, memory, and the endurance of women and also a fireworks barge blowing a police helicopter out of the sky.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I once bought a Jr Bacon for a dude sitting on a corner with my preschool-aged daughter in the car, and I received so much praise for it that I definitely recognize that, even years later, I'm more likely to do it when she's with me than when she isn't.

So I reckon I get it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The old joke about how the two happiest days in every boat owners life are the day they buy it and the day they sell it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

This, to me, is the funniest single panel of any comic ever made. The pinnacle of the form. Everything about it is perfect.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

The other day I drafted a post criticizing Heathcliff, saying that it is a strip you can safely scroll past because, for as "crazy" as it is is, most of the time it's just something like Heathcliff and the kid watching a pug driving a Go-kart with a pug's face on the front, and the kid says "Pug-Kart." And that's it. Then, two weeks later, you'd see the exact same visual gag but now there would be two pugs driving and the caption would be "Go-Pugs." The strip isn't just lazy, it's repetitive.

I wound up not posting it because I thought "What do I care, that's a hyperbolic take; it lands a joke every now and then and it's not that derivative." Then, this week:

To quote Nick Wiger in that article about modern Heathcliff, “I think I am actually mad.”

At least when they flipped the artwork, they flipped BACK the diplomas.

e: actually, I don't think it's flipped! The therapist's leg and arm interact differently with the chair. I think completely redrawing it, but copy/pasting a punchline, almost loops back around to charming again.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 27, 2021

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Green Intern posted:

Imagine being married for 20+ years and still being so completely insecure with your spouse.

The cool thing about being honest is, if you're willing to tell your partner, "You know I love you and how you look, but those pants do not flatter you at all, sorry," they'll actually believe you when you tell them they look nice!

Like, not breaking it out every time they come down in PJ pants or whatever. But if they ask your opinion, it's safe to give it!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Also, notably, Jan 26 and Jan 28 were both, "The Cat Burglar strikes again."

I think the gag may have gone double meta on us.

Monday: Let's talk about robots.
Tuesday: The cat burglar strikes again. (swinging rope)
Wednesday: Let's talk about chihuahuas.
Thursday: The can burglar strikes again. (helicopter escape)
Friday: Let's talk about ham.
Saturday: ???

Huxley fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 29, 2021

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

Axa might as well just not have a top.

I'm no prude, but it's striking how much more interesting and sexy the comic is when she has clothes on.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Green Intern posted:

My diabetic father in law still keeps bowls of candy around his house and loves to eat swedish fish by the handful in between meals of pasta and beer. The guy is too stubborn and fatalistic to actually eat healthier. So this little arc is basically real for me.

My papa was that way, but he was also of the generation where he did no grocery shopping or pantry stocking. So between his house and my aunts' houses, he spent his last 15 years eating sugar-free diabetic candy everywhere he went without even knowing it. Granny probably squeezed another 5 years out of him.

e: taking a moment today to reflect on the people working to keep me alive forever, and showing a little god drat gratitude.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 2, 2021

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

FrumpleOrz posted:

I still remember when the Tinkersons was considered a bad strip by most of the thread. It's nuts how that's shifted over time. It's probably one of my favorites now.

I still think Tinkersons does the whole Community (the TV show) "Family are the people you are meanest to for some reason, and that's good and normal" schtick that drives me nuts. But I admit the alternative is probably a harder comic to write.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Absolutely not bottom-of-the-paged.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you're not willing to kickbox your dad in our driveway, you're not worthy to sleep in the trunk of the Dodge Stratus parked in my garage.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

If she was average height in 8th grade, she'd have been around 5'2", so the skirt length would be, oh, 2.5 feet, meaning she's something like 10 feet tall now. Add "giantesses" to the list of Brooke's fetishes.

Also pictured: how Brooke used to draw babies.

That's a cute baby, a reasonable gag, and only 3-4 words that sound like a 6th grader with a thesaurus.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
One thing I've noticed about Garfield: modern Garf I read to myself in a toneless all-voice but classic Garf is automatically in the voice from Garfield and Friends.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My preacher growing up was a HUGE Zits fan, and he hung at least two sermons a year on an anecdote from the strip. I know for a fact I've heard at least 2-3 that mentioned Chad, and it being the late 90s there wasn't a lot of resources for me to chase those strips down.

In retrospect, it's pretty funny how small a throwaway gag the whole character is, relative to my imagination growing up.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I saw RENT for the first time when I was 30ish, which meant my big takeaway was that they should be nicer to their parents.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Twelve by Pies posted:

I didn't get this as a kid and I'm not ashamed to admit I still don't get it now.

The boy frog is showing an appreciation of all the things that make girl frogs appealing, in reference to a lady frog who, to us, doesn't appear to have very many physical differences.

It's ironic because the boy frog would probably not understand what a boy human sees different enough in a girl human to be worth all the trouble, either.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

https://twitter.com/L3GSV/status/1365004005097824258

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

R.L. Stine posted:

I've finally identified the perfect comic

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Also, pay your musicians you cheap-rear end church.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

This is just another example of a joke A+J could make work, but Dustin can't.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The "Curtis" comments section is basically therapy, right?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Dark Laughter is consistently the best "old" comic that gets posted.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Until they were old enough to know the real names for things, somehow my girls came to call their bottoms their "butts" and their privates their "butt butts."

I would imagine a family with a less permissive atmosphere would have shut that down in favor of something else, and those kids would be endlessly amused by the idea of getting to say butt so often.

e: Oh god what a snipe.

Also, discounting the discussion of what age is the right age to know the real names for things, which is obviously "it's OK to know the proper names for body parts right off the bat, because they're not bad parts and it's not bad to have them." But also, your kid saying "butt butt" is funny so you let it slide.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 9, 2021

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What do you do someone tries walking out the door with a huge TV? Would that rise to actually calling the police? Just mark the time down and let surveillance cameras in the store and parking lot do the work?

If the guys at Lowe's aren't allowed to physically confront me, what If I show up to the riding mowers outside with bolt cutters and a can of gas and try driving one off?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TampaTango posted:

“Princess Deer, there is a Mr. Bootsie who would like to speak to you!”

Mr Bootsie, I appreciate you offering to come up to my palace to help conquer the Nile River delta, I just bought my cousin Rocko along with me to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pistol_Pete posted:

I love this dude pensively musing about whether it was really a good idea to get married to some young girl that he knows absolutely nothing about.

Reminds me of Betty's dad in Mad Men yelling about Don, "not having any people."