Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Cul De Sac is also responsible for one of my favorite comic strips of all time:

I should also note that Rob McLaren wrote a song based on this phrase. You can buy it from Bandcamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

amigolupus posted:

Modesty Blaise is really unique in how Modesty has multiple casual boyfriends across the globe and it's never portrayed as a bad thing. Her boyfriends understand that Modesty can choose to spend months with one of them and none of them get jealous about it or think bad of the others.

I actually went through my copy of The Modesty Blaise Companion and counted Modesty's boyfriends (or bedfellows as the guide often refers to them) and Willie's girlfriends. My results:

# of Modesty's boyfriends: 10
    # of Modesty's boyfriends that appear more than once: 3
    # of Modesty's boyfriends that get killed: 3
    # of Willie's girlfriends: 22
    # of Willie's girlfriends that appear more than once: 4
    # of Willie's girlfriends that appear once only to be stood up because he has to go help Modesty: 3
    # of Willie's girlfriends that appear once only to be stood up because he has to go help an elephant: 1

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

For ages I can't hear the word "manatee" without thinking of this page.

Yeah that was the first thing I thought of too. Second thing I thought of was Jim Gaffigan's manatee routine on Dr. Katz

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

So it's already Monday the 4th of January in England, which means that John Allison has posted the first page from his new webcomic Circus Windows starring Mildred Haversham and Charlotte Meredith Grote! It looks like the comic will follow a M-W-F schedule. I don't know if i should post it here as it's not a newspaper comic, but Allison's Tackleford series is pretty popular with readers of this thread. Here is the website

John Allison posted:

If you're a chronology fan, this story takes place a couple of months after Wicked Things, and two-and-a-half years after the end of Bad Machinery. If you prefer to read it in webcomic form, or just comment as the pages go up, it is running at badmachinery.com (because the old Scary Go Round site is collapsing around my ears).

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Circus Windows in which Mildred makes a prediction.

(again if the thread thinks it's not appropriate for me to post a webcomic here, just tell me and I'll stop.)

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

amigolupus posted:

Oh wow, Pepper the dog is still alive? I don't remember him ever appearing in the later Bad Machinery stories so I assumed he went to that great big dog park in the sky. Glad to know I was wrong. :unsmith:

Keep in mind that, in terms of in-universe time, it has only been 6 or 7 years since the start of Bad Machinery (3 Bad Machinery cases = 1 year in universe).

howe_sam posted:

I dislike the new Mildred, her head is more ovally than I remember.

Winklebottom posted:

I think the lipstick is throwing me off more, she looks more recognizable in the cover image

On the other hand remember that Mildred is around 19 years old in this story. When we last saw her she was only 15/16.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Circus Windows with a call back to the last Bad Machinery case

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

I feel ya Boss Dharma, every since I went bald I (ironically) have to keep my hair cut short.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Circus Windows in which Jack's father makes his second appearance.

Also note the picture of Billie Baker (from Allison's other comic Steeple) on the cover of the magazine Mildred is reading. Allison mentioned on his Patreon (and was already leaked in these threads) that he is working on a Lottie / Steeple crossover.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

amigolupus posted:

The set-up for this Modesty Blaise feels a bit haphazard to me. It's been mentioned that Joanna was used as a sex slave in the Blackwings's cult, since her friend's dad blames her for surviving. That should have been plenty enough reason for Modesty to go after the cult leader, so it feels pretty off for her to hesitate and have Giles talk her into taking action.

Tiggum posted:

Pretty sure my local library (in Austrlia) has signs up saying to put books on the reshelving cart rather than back on the shelves. I assume they've just found it saves some hassle over all.

Maybe she just assumed he'd either be killed by the gangsters he's trying to kill, or by whoever was left in charge of their operations after their deaths were discovered.

Modesty Blaise talk: remember Modesty contacted Steve Taylor of the FBI, who will get to the Blackwings' compound in a few hours and presumably arrest the cult members. Giles is more upset that the mafiosi will be killed in the meantime if Modesty and Willie don't do anything to stop the cult.

Dustin library talk: As others have mentioned, libraries sometimes ask patrons not to re-shelve books themselves, not only to make sure the book is put back in the correct location, but also to note that the book is being used even if it's not being checked out (the library I work at calls it "in-house use").

The_Other fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 12, 2021

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Circus Windows Behind the curve on love

It's interesting to note that of the three Bad Machinery girls, Mildred is the one with the most experience with love/romance. She had a brief fling with Lee Chaplin in Case of the Fire Inside and had a "thing" with Jack Finch in Case of the Severed Alliance. She also developed a crush on her father's coworker and Scary-Go-Round regular Eustace Boyce in New Bobbins. By contrast Lottie has been completely uninterested in romance, although she has caught the attention of Colm O'Shaunessy in Case of the Simple Soul as well as Tuan and Jordon in Space is the Place

Also that appears to be Carrot Scruggs from Scary-Go-Round in the second panel.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Sometimes the reality of the situation is simply that the library doesn't have the book and can't offer any options that satisfy the patron's specific needs re: availability timeframe. Although we usually try to tell them more tactfully.

Yeah I've had this happen to me. Most of the time patrons are understanding, but sometimes I get someone who can't understand that the library has finite resources and want the item "right now". One time I had a patron who wanted to know why an item they I had requested hadn't arrived yet. I told them that I usually takes about three days for an item move through our transit system (one day for the owning library to process it, then one or two days "in transit". The patron said that they could have driven to the other library and gotten it in under a hour ("so why didn't you do that?" I thought). I told them it might come in the tomorrow and that I would specifically contact them to let them know it had arrived, as opposed to just letting the automated system handle it. Sure enough the item came in the next morning and I contacted the patron who thanked me... and then never picked the item up. It went back to the owning library after about a week sitting on the "hold" shelf.

tl;dr: patron wanted item NOW, then never picked it up

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

EBB posted:

What's his last laugh? I thought that after Shauna, MIldred ended up asking him and he literally ran away.. I'm probably recalling it wrong.

No that's right, but Jack has the most romantic partners of the boys. First Shauna, then Mimi in Case of the Modern Men, and then (sort of) with Mildred in the last two stories. By contrast, while Linton has displayed interest in the fairer sex, especially with Little Claire in Case of the Missing Piece it's never really be reciprocated.

As for Sonny, he had Ellen the selkie in Case of the Fire Inside and an unnamed boy in Case of the Missing Piece.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Circus Windows Now with even more cameos!

There are several cameos in today's comic. In the first two panels we see notable Tackleford resident Mad Terry, who has shown up in several of Allison's comics. The man smoking on the right hand side of the third panel is Barry, Shelly Winter's literary agent. More sinister is the other cameo in that same panel, the man with the cane and sunglasses is Magus Tom Pendennis, head of Tredregyn's Church of Satan, from Allison's other comic Steeple. Finally the two people by the coffee stand in the fourth panel look familiar, but that's probably only because other cameos are tricking my brain into thinking they are (the woman(?) with the long grey/silver hair MIGHT be Maggie Warren, also from Steeple, but I doubt it).

Do any of these people have anything to do with the mystery Mildred and Lottie have stumbled upon? According to Allison himself the answer is _no_.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Linton had some short term interest in Blossom, right? Like an hour or so?

I'd forgotten about that! They had an intense "pash" session at Shauna's parents wedding in Case of the Missing Piece, but the next time they met Blossom told Linton she wanted nothing to do with him, much to his relief.

Also look what I got in the mail yesterday!

Sadly, unless Titan decides to publish a another run of some of the earlier books, I'll probably never get a complete collection, as many used copies go for five to ten times the original $20 price.

The_Other fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 16, 2021

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Circus Windows

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

I guess Lottie's still peeved over the whole Wen-Tack road debacle.

Yeah, I keep wondering if Allison will bring that up in this story (I'm a supporter on his Patreon so I got the full comic as a pdf, but I want to read it at same pace of the rest of this thread). I've always wondered if Allison still thinks of the Wen-Tack stories as cannon, given that they are not even mentioned on the old Scary Go Round site. Lottie sort of makes a reference to it in Wicked Things:

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

They all take place in the same shared universe, just at different points of time. IIRC it goes Bobbins (original) -> Scary Go Round -> Bad Machinery -> some side stories -> Circus Windows (new one). Also New Bobbins and Bobbins.Horse are scattered around there, I can't 100% remember where in the timeline they take place.

e: Giant Days is after SGR but before Bad Machinery I think? It's hard to check since OG Bobbins and SGR aren't online anymore and Giant Days and a few of the side stories are actual physical comic books.

That's mostly it. Bobbins.Horse is basically a remake of the original Bobbins comic, allowing Allison to tell the stories he should have told the first time. New Bobbins picks up and takes place alongside Bad Machinery, but focusing more on the adult cast (Shelly Winters, Tim Jones). There were also some one-shots that take place at different points in the timeline ( Expecting to Fly takes place while Shelly and Ryan are in high school, while Murder She Writes takes place before the Bad Machinery: Case of the Fire Inside)

A relative chronology would be: Bobbins/Bobbins.Horse -> Scary Go Round -> Giant Days -> Bad Machinery / New Bobbins -> New Scary Go Round (Wen-Tack) -> Wicked Things -> Circus Windows

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Circus Windows

Note that in the corner of the shelf in the first panel you can see the award Lottie won in Wicked Things for Teen Detective of the Year (18-19)

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

As someone who works in a library, I can say that yes, this happens. The best is when the book comes back and the patron tries to get out of any responsibility by saying they don't have a dog.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Circus Windows

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

From Georgia Dunn's Instagram

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

What's Daisy from?

Blondie

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Circus Windows

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Circus Windows Mildred is on the freaking Moon!

Also the 10th and final volume of Bad Machinery goes on sale today!

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Circus Windows Mildred's gonna spew!

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Daduzi posted:

We haven't seen that story with the bear, right? Is it from a previous comic series or novel or is it just an aside?

It was from a prior adventure, The Black Pearl. I don't know if it was posted on this site or not. What makes the story really work is the fact that Modesty and Willie don't realize that they have to get a bear out of Tibet until about two-thirds of the way into the story, they are only told that they have to retrieve the Black Pearl without being told what it is.

Edit: I just checked, the story was posted in these forums, you can read it here

The_Other fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 1, 2021

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Circus Windows

Edit/ Update: Allison is posting a comic on his twitter for Hourly Comic Day. Check it out if you want to see a glimpse of his life.

The_Other fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 1, 2021

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Circus Windows Down the Meat Toilet

From the website

John Allison posted:

Nighthawks at the diner. For Tackleford historians, Efe’s Kebab Shop (which previously appeared in Giant Days #49) was once Dorado’s restaurant (see Bobbins Dot Horse, early 2020), above which Ryan Beckwith lived until well into Scary Go Round. It has now been bisected into a shawarma spot and a minicab office. I know because I put the dividing wall in there myself in Sketchup.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

readingatwork posted:

I don't know what a Sootis is and I'm too proud to ask.

From an earlier Cul De Sac strip:

Evil Mastermind posted:

Cul De Sac is just a legend...OR IS IT?

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Circus Windows featuring the return of Lottie's puffer jacket

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Circus Windows Mildred Millie turns on the charm

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yeah, there are probably diabetic-friendly milkshakes and such, but they're generally not easily found. Also, some of the sugar free (using sugar substitutes) stuff doesn't get digested well and can give you the shits or farts. Ask me how I know. Sugar is a big problem, but easily available starches (potatoes, bread, grains like rice and wheat, pasta, etc) are a big problem too, they get converted over to complex sugars in your body during digestion, and that really throws your blood sugar out of whack.

What I thought of during this conversation.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Circus Windows

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Parahexavoctal posted:

In this installment of The Timid Soul (February 20, 1933), it's interesting to realize that typewriters were once seen as decadent and modern.

I wonder if this is specifically referring to the Technocracy Movement or just technocracy in general.

Circus Windows featuring a flashback to the Bad Machinery era

From the website

John Allison posted:

I hope you enjoy the period-accurate flashback in today’s comic, roughly contemporary to The Case of The Good Boy, in which Mildred takes on the fairground-industrial complex. If you read it on GoComics it has a lot of bonus pages.

Also I got my copy of the last Bad Machinery story, Case of the Severed Alliance in the mail yesterday!

I liked that picture of Mildred on the back cover.

Also, Allison gives an afterword in at the end of the book regarding the end of the series and what might happen to the Mystery Teens after their adventures:

John Allison posted:

When I started Bad Machinery, my idea was that there would be 21 cases, one for every term of the seven years of British secondary education. In the end there were ten, but I think that was enough. I covered such a lot of ground. As time went on I began to feel melancholy at watching the carefree 11-year-olds of the first story vanish, swallowed up by the weird angst, confusion, and adventure of the tween and teen years. Things started so happy-go-lucky, but the more aware one becomes of the world, the more perilous that world becomes. I had to balance the ups and the downs. These were always meant to be fun, silly stories, but there was always a wolf at the door that I never imaged being there until I started writing them.

Throughout its run, Bad Machinery has been blessed with readers of all ages. I have had delightful notes over the years from people aged seven, and 70. The younger readers were part of the reason that I felt the series had to end. As the mystery kids end this book – aged sixteen or thereabouts – I couldn't tell their stories and be as truthful as I wanted to be, without excluding smaller fans. It was one of the hardest decision I've had to make, and I could tell I was going to have to make it around the time of the 8th book. I blame the teen hormones (and you should too). Maybe books 9 and 10 went a little further than they should into the world of Teen Feelings, but if you don't tell anyone, neither will I.

The most important question, now that the casebook is closed, is what will happen to the mystery kids? Is this really their last case? I think for most of them, it is. But then, they're pretty weird kids. Jack is going to spend a lot of time trying to play his guitar and worrying about his hair. Maybe he'll record some terrible raps and never play them to anyone. Sonny goes with the flow. He deserves a rest from danger. Shauna has a lot of interests and a huge brain, and it's time she got a chance to explore more than what local ne'er do wells are up to. Mildred is a barely-corked bottle of trouble and I think the next few years are going to be quite naughty for her. Let's hope she stays out of jail (she probably will – just). Linton's future is foggy to me. He believes in justice. He believes in truth. I feel like he will be interested in mystery . But he is a handsome lad and and I have the sense that he may soon be distracted by some beautiful eyes.

Hopefully the eyes will be in a face and not just floating around.

It seems to me, Lottie Grote will always have mystery in her heart. Nothing is going to stop her looking for it. And in Little Claire she has a friend who is not only loyal, but also somewhat of a mystery too. Does Lottie know Claire is a firestarter? My guess is she always has. She likes her anyway. And who wouldn't? Claire is a total sweetheart. That twosome is a friendship with legs.

Anyway here were are. The end of the series. Thank you for sharing these adventures with me. I hope to see you back in Tackleford one day.

Sorry for the long post.

The_Other fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 12, 2021

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Circus Windows

Note that we will have an extra page this week, as Allison finishes up part one of this story.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Circus Windows Bonus Tuesday page!

Note the initials on the tree in the first panel "SW :love: JF", probably carved their by Shauna and Jack when they were dating in Case of the Simple Soul

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Circus Windows I mean, they're not wrong

Reminds me of how Lottie got banned from every pool in Britain in The Case of the Fire Inside

davidspackage posted:

I'm amused that there seemed to be no reason for Axa to lose her top again. It just seemed to be gone when she was thrown into the arena, like the artist got bored of not dotting nipples.

From the introduction to the Modesty Blaise book The Puppet Masters

Rob van der Nol posted:

A lot of readers will have been overjoyed with the third frame of panel 2596, but it also created a little stir. Modesty standing there, naked breasts, hands on her hips, proud and feminine as ever. Nowdays on can't understand why, but in 1971, not everybody was a liberal as O'Donnell had hoped for. A semi-naked woman in a 'respectable' newspaper just wouldn't do. Several people complained, and the Sunday Times even ran a short article on the affair. O'Donnell got a small reprimand from the Evening Standard, but thankfully nothing too serious.

From then on, Modesty kept her bra on in the comics, but a few years later Romero got his fair share of drawing nudes when he started drawing his own comic strip, the sci-fi saga Axa. One of the ingredients for this Donne Avenell-scripted series, which often recalled the playful sexuality of the 1940's Jane series, was how to get Axa out of her upper clothing, and in just about every story they found a way.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Cathy - Feb 27+28 1977

Looked this up, apparently this was a real thing

From the link

quote:

Ever since 1975's killing frost in Brazil devastated world coffee supplies, the price of a caffeine fix has climbed steadily. It's become so bad that a consumers' group in New York City has organized a boycott against the bean. On CBC-TV's Take 30, Barbara Shand of the Consumers' Association of Canada says a coffee boycott isn't necessary in Canada. Coffee, as Shand points out, is not a nutritious part of any diet. And she doesn't believe anyone is deliberately ripping off Canadians. If Canadians decide that $3.75 a pound - the projected price in three months - is too much to pay, they should just stop buying coffee. That's why the consumers' association will not organize or support a mass boycott to try to drive down the price. Still, there's talk that a 30-cent cup in a restaurant could soon cost 50 cents.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

who is Gomez talking to? it doesn’t look like uncle fester

That is the the male half of husband and wife Addams drew that he called the "wall-eyed couple". Presumably they are either relatives or friends of the family. From The Addams Family: An Evilution

quote:

During the fifties and sixties Addams was devoted to the original odd couple he called the "wall-eyed couple," referring to the husband; the wife was childlike, with a flat head and chopped hair. In 1964 Addams went so far as to give them a two-headed toddler, regarding whom Granny Frump naturally observed, "I think he looks a little like both of you."

Here is the comic mentioned:

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Circus Windows

That is the end of part one, part two starts next Monday.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I never got if Lottie was messing him with him or just being really into it.

I'm guessing it's a little of both.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

So like I said yesterday, the next part of Circus Windows doesn't start until Monday (and if you join Allison's patreon at the $3 level you get the complete comic as a pdf). However he did post this sketch on his twitter.

In Case of the Unwelcome Visitor we saw in a flashback that Lottie's father died in some sort of accident when she was about four years old, but the specifics were never discussed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Circus Windows part 2 starts today! With a guest cover by Max Sarin!

Lottie experiences the wonders of the car wash! I like how Allison has "the next day" written in suds on the car.