Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

manero posted:

The internet seems convinced that Jon tortured Lyman in a basement dungeon and then murdered him.

That's what I'm going to believe
There used to be old point-and-click adventure games on the Garfield site and one of them was set on Halloween where Garfield is exploring a haunted mansion. Lyman's found in the basement dungeon held to the walls with shackles and had an item for beating the game.

For a while Davis used to joke that Lyman was in Jon's basement but would later say he joined the Peace Corp and went overseas and a later Garfield property had Lyman become a wildlife photographer that had gotten lost looking for a cryptid and then later got a job as the cryptid scaring poachers off.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

riderchop posted:

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Bahahahaha.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Crankshaft? Repeat the same trite "youngsters and their gizmos don't understand good ol' technology!" poo poo? Nooooo, clearly not.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Mr. Boop really lost me at the beginning of Book 4 but I kind of came around after the whole "descent into obsession" thing. I've got mixed feelings about the ending and the whole project but it was something to check up on regularly in 2020.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Mm. No.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

What's Flyin' Jenny?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyin%27_Jenny

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Zereth posted:

Is this the earliest example of holbrook doing a metaphor, and then taking it literally? Except this happened over like 3 strips instead of gradually forgetting it was a metaphor. :staredog:
Computers are magic, a wizard did it.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

9 Chickweed Lane, proudly defending catcalling and harassing women.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Shut up Crankshaft.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

The barbarian family from Wen-Tack is something that needs to return. It'd be a good fit for Steeple.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Her final message...save da world...

Professor Wayne posted:

I hate to even ask this, but Kevin and Kell always makes a huge deal about hybrids, and I don't think you ever see an adult who's part elk and part penguin or whatever. Were species only having kids with themselves before the protagonists casually broke barriers and started making magic babies?
Don't think about it, Holbrook sure didn't.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

:hmmyes:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

amigolupus posted:

I hate everything about this conversation.

catlord posted:

What in the goddamn gently caress.
They are gods who still desperately cling to the notion that they are mortal because they believe it to be endearing or relatable rather than insulting.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

I know she's going to turn out to be correct about the statue being of that bird woman but I still can't get over the ridiculous leap in logic. If I saw a guy who looked like Abraham Lincoln walking down the street, I shouldn't immediately jump to "Abraham Lincoln never actually died in the theater and also he's immortal!"
"She looks like our teacher!"
"So am I dating a racist or could you phrase this better."

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

JethroMcB posted:

Thanks for meeting me here at Wowee, y'know it's Howgeefest this month
God I love their "macaroni and also cheez is added to it" and their Pretzel Halves and Pretzel Wholes...gently caress now I really want to go to Wawa.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Jeremy no don't name the cat after a talented racist.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

How Wonderful! posted:

Next to that she appears to be reading a Tintin album-- I can't make out the lettering on the bottom of the cover so I don't know if it's a real Tintin or a pastiche. Bechdel has written in various interviews about the influence Herge had on her art-- I think the thumbprint is pretty obvious.
Looks like it says "Tintin Meets The Amazons" which makes it a pastiche.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Huxley posted:

Also, notably, Jan 26 and Jan 28 were both, "The Cat Burglar strikes again."

I think the gag may have gone double meta on us.

Monday: Let's talk about robots.
Tuesday: The cat burglar strikes again. (swinging rope)
Wednesday: Let's talk about chihuahuas.
Thursday: The can burglar strikes again. (helicopter escape)
Friday: Let's talk about ham.
Saturday: ???
A Serious Heathcliff on Serious Earth.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

I don't know what to do with the fact that I now find the dumb joke character in Kevin and Kell the most tragic and sympathetic character in the strip, and somehow those birds are fawning over these other assholes as the saviors of the world when Ralph is the only one who's developed what's necessary for a functional society.

I admit, I read that strip, didn't think much of it, and when someone called it out for transphobia I went "Wait, there's transphobia there?" and went back and immediately noticed it. I think part of it is that it's also sort of subtly presented as "kids say the darndest things" and appears wholesome that made me not even realize it was there. It's not like Pat Cross or Branco who are incapable of hiding or being subtle about their transphobia, even if in their comics they were to present it as a kid saying it it would be immediately noticeable how awful and hateful it was being.

That said I do remember goons mostly liking OBH a couple of years ago before I fell out of following the thread, aside from how bad the characters' mouths looked when they were drawn in a side profile, so it does seem like the strip has started to slowly change a bit from just being silly "kids don't understand things" jokes.

Also every time I see the Ninja Kitty saying "RARE" my brain tries to make one of Reuben Bolling's Super-Fun-Pak comics about the guy walking into the bar going "I bet you fifty bucks this animal can answer this question." All I can come up with is either a Pokemon/card game rarity joke, or something about steak.
"I bet you this cat knows the top level of item drop quality in World of Warcraft."
"You're on."
"RARE!"
"Nope, it's Artifact."
"I told you to buy me Shadowlands."

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Very very very good.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Ha ha holy poo poo that Dark Laughter.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Cherry knows how to count cards, huh. She's some kind of gamblechamp.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Catholic Ants.

Cants.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

April Foob is a fabricated entity, yeah. She exists to be the daughter the family didn't have which is weird because they don't like her.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

lmao those titles on the kid comics in that Peanuts.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

Who's the couple thinking about adding ageplay to their bedroom in chickweed lane?
Their names are Fluffy and Nachotime; he's the high priest of Hecate and is later temporarily killed by Hellboy which only hastens her rebirth and the inevitable return of the Ogdru Jahad, she's a retired netrunner who got half of her brain replaced with cloned meat after her old neuralrig was bricked by a Mi-Go paracausal multi-state virus and had a seizure as a result. Back in 2002 there was a well-received plotline where the two of them had a heart-to-heart about her struggle with physical rehab and him worrying that he thought less of her for her disability and uphill fight with learning to walk again. They would later fade into the background for a period of time as a pair of janitors who walk around cleaning up other character's public sex messes before making a killing in the stock market and living comfortably.

Also Tinkermom's first name is Tiff.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

howe_sam posted:

I've always interpreted that strip as it being an actual renaissance painter selling his art on the street.
Yeah that's literally DaVinci.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

The Bloop posted:

Omg Connie get away from that Van

Where does she get these things anyway!?
Heathcliff rents stuff to free up space.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

(it's Italian for "abandon all hope, ye who enter" as per The Inferno)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Is this snail soliciting a sex worker and then haggling over the price of service.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

A: I hate this and B: I scrolled down to look at the comments that all generally amount to "god this is awful"...including a familiar face.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I would legit enjoy if the rest of the week was just Oldman Doghugger being like "wait what the gently caress?" and helping her realize just how hosed up it is because sometimes folks don't realize the magnitude of trauma in a moment.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I can't wait for Luann to ruin Ben for being my favorite character in that strip.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

manero posted:

Nancy 1946

:haw:
Yo I just want to say: holy poo poo you're doing a great job cleaning up these old cartoons' quality.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Yeah Family Circus has been getting more and more dark as time goes on, the parents just look exhausted and the kids just keep looking ungrateful when they're not being precocious/misunderstanding words.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

They are gods, gods I tell you! They have cracked the secret of the gene and the atom and the particles between space and time to become more than human, and they insult us by walking among us and pretending to be us still when they could be making the world a better place or doing anything at all!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Johnny Aztec posted:

" Here, I brought you your DNA in a cup"

" Oh nice, thank you. I'll just sip on my steaming cup of DNA"
Congratulations, Mr. Arbuckle. You are going to give birth to a fine, healthy litter of puppies.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I perenially appreciate the fact that it's not just that Arlo and Janice gently caress, it's that it's good and they both enjoy it and are still playful and friendly. It's healthy and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

goatface posted:

The octopus lady is coping remarkably well for gaining 8 sub brains and a beak where her cooch used to be.
\