Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Hi Newspaper comics thread! I've been lurking in this thread for a while and posting over in the webcomics thread, and thought I might share the love a bit / get the word out about a comic we've been enjoying over there.

For the past 6 months or so I've been translating a Japanese web / print comic by a guy named Maruoka Kuzo called Uramachi Sakaba - it translates to something like "Backstreet Pub" but I couldn't think of a way to translate that that didn't sound kind of dumb so I've left just the title in Japanese. People have described it as "Cyberpunk Cheers" and that's about as perfect a description as you could get, really. Here's the first chapter:

(I'm lazy about translating sound effects and non-plot-critical signage, but I did at least switch to a more-readable font before too very long.)

I've also translated a lot of stuff by Q-Rais of Nekonoughey fame - most of the run of Chako, as well as a couple of longer-form narrative comics he's done / is doing recently, and if people over here are interested I could share those as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Ardeem posted:

I'm bad at Kanji, but I'm pretty sure the cyborg in the last panel is wearing Heikichi's jacket.
The jacket is a uniform top with the name of the construction company on it (everybody working there would have one), but you may be on to something!

Giant Ethicist fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 17, 2021

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Haifisch posted:

These are cool, but is there some reason you're timging all of them?
Habit from the other thread, I suppose. I'll stop!

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

riderchop posted:

Chako's scary.....
Chako is literally (spoilers for ChaCha Chako, the narrative spin-off / origins comic I may share later) a fickle, amnesiac child god living in a world created entirely and expressly for her own amusement, so yeah.

Arrow-catching cloak

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

gleebster posted:

And you didn't think this was something the reader would want to know?
Well, the reason I spoilered it is that it hasn't been revealed yet, and it never comes up directly in "main-line" Chako, just the side comic I mentioned. Chako itself is mostly just surreal weirdness with little or no connecting story.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Crab Dad posted:

what is this nightmare fuel?
Q-Rais (best known probably for Nekonoughey and Sad Bear and Suki Usagi, the comic where the author is tormented by his cute but insufferable pink bunny muse) published this comic alongside them until the end of 2019. He said a few times that it was his favorite comic to draw, but since it didn't sell nearly as well as the fat cat and sad bear, he quit drawing it. Not surprising, but still. Very surreal, sometimes kind of dark, often explores the logical consequences of "a fantasy world inhabited by cute food people".

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

(Apologies for the ugly font and cropping on some of the older Chakos - these were my first shot at doing translations, and I hadn't figured out how to make the images look nice (the fact that it's watercolors on textured paper doesn't help either). I fixed a few borderline-unreadable ones, like the previous few, but it'd be a whole lot of :effort: to make them all look not-as-lovely.)

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

The "scary Nekonaughey" series are fantastic.

Doomykins posted:

I love this comic. Are you translating it as you go and if so thanks, I love you too. Is it in English anywhere, particularly for sale? I was looking to buy some Nekonaughey books last year and I bounced off it pretty fast unfortunately.
Thanks for the love! I've been translating as I go over in the webcomics thread, yeah - I'm starting over at the beginning here to get some new eyes on it as I agree it's really good and worth sharing. There's no official (or, indeed, other, as far as I know) English translation, sadly, which is mostly why I'm doing it. If you want to read ahead, there's a link to the imgur album - along with some other comics I've been translating - in my sig.

Also the first print volume is currently free on Kindle on amazon Japan, if anyone wants to throw Maruoka some downloads / look at the pictures.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Doomykins posted:

I feel like I'm missing something very obvious as my troubleshooting isn't working but I can't see signatures on SA. Option enabled and everything. Could you link me directly?
Yeah, I never have them on and can never see them, I basically just filled in some stuff in the appropriate field in the User Control Panel and hoped for the best.

The Uramachi Sakaba imgur album starts here, at any rate: (imgur.com) /a/wD25NnB

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

Slimy foods like okra or taro are considered to be good for your constitution, in a "Japanese folk remedy" way.

Chako

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

Spoilered for non-explicit-but-clearly-a-sexbot implications including robot boobs. The weird statue is a Billiken statue, a little bit of well-loved traditional Osaka kitsch.

Chako

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

A rare case of diagetic slapstick over-reaction.

Chako

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

Yes, it's weird that they have literally every other kind of food we eat in contemporary Japan but edamame has been memory-holed, just roll with it.

Chako

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

Giant Ethicist fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 27, 2021

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

There's something deeply melancholy about that Nekonaughey.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

Spoilers / not-spoilers for the "twist" at the end of the chapter ("not-spoilers" and "twist" in quotes because it's utterly baked-in cultural knowledge to any Japanese reader that they'd be picking up on immediately), but the cucumber decoration is for O-Bon, the yearly holiday when the spirits of the dead return to the land of the living to visit their families.

Chako

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

Fava beans are literally called "sky beans" in Japanese.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

Konoha monkeys are folk art from southern Japan:

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Crab Dad posted:

Man I just don’t get Japanese humor.
Q-Rais humor, and especially Chako humor, is very much its own surreal niche thing even in Japan. (Chako was not very popular at all during its run.)

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

This is probably my single favorite Chako.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Kid Fenris posted:

I'm really enjoying Uramachi Sakaba. It gives off hints of Yokohama Kaidashi Kiko and Battle Angel, but it's still very much itself. Is it serialized in print anywhere?

The only actual physical prints are basically just zines straight from the author, but there is a kindle edition too. (The only English translation is mine, though.)

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

davidspackage posted:

Uramachi Sakaba is growing on me too, though I don't quite have a handle on its world yet.
It's really just modern / late-20th-century working class Japan with cyberpunk-y set dressing. The sci-fi stuff that comes up is always purely in service of a given gag or story, and there's very little overarching setting per se beyond "there was a big apocalyptic war a couple hundred years ago, the environment is hosed, the country is in a more or less constant state of civil war, and it's basically lawless outside the cities". (There are some side comics that focus more on the post-apocalyptic bits of the setting, but Uramachi Sakaba pretty much sticks to cyberpunk.)

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

I remember with the same number of letters trick too.

Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

Here I ran afoul of the Japanese language's general lack of distinction between singular and plural. Literally she wished he got "a handsome leg[s]" and got exactly what she asked for.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

This one refers to and introduces ChaCha Chako, the long-form narrative spin-off comic that ran alongside Chako from this point until they both ended together. ChaCha Chako involves Chako's origin story, an army of teddy bears, and a racist avocado, and I might start sharing it too at some point since I've got it all translated and everything.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

RoboRodent posted:

I have a very important question. Is she bored of the eggs in the room, or has her boredom caused eggs to spontaneously form here?

Because frankly, with this comic, it could be either.
Grammatically, it’s the latter. Naturally.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

LvK posted:

Uramachi Sakaba rules and I can't believe I haven't seen anyone else talk about it online, just some rad art and fun little stories in an interesting setting.
Glad you like it! Maruoka really is a pretty good storyteller - tropey as it is (or maybe because it's so tropey), he can craft a tight little story in four pages or so. But it's a very minor comic all told, just self-published zines really, and AFAIK I'm the only person who's given a shot at translating it into English.

Speaking of Uramachi Sakaba: a couple days ago someone mentioned Ghost in the Shell:

Chako