Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liffrea
Jun 16, 2013

Your gacha-bragging struck a nerve and accidentally set off my self-defense instincts. Sorry about that.

riderchop posted:

yeah definitely, i want the op descriptions as well

no way, theres a hand on his right and the man on his left is passing a bowl around

maybe meals used to be bigger??? post-depression mealtime is different?? why's there so many steaks on one plate

I think this might be a reference to service a la francaise which was a Victorian style of dining that was eventually overtaken by service a la russe, which is pretty much the same as modern restaurant style dining today.

quote:

Guests served themselves and their neighbors; the men were generally supposed to help the ladies next to them...Service à la française sometimes required so much food to be set out that it was the custom of some hosts to have a second dinner party the following day, using what was left over for a slightly smaller number of less-important guests. William Makepeace Thackeray's character Major Pendennis (1850) is "indignant at being invited to a 'second-day dinner'".[13]

(from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_%C3%A0_la_fran%C3%A7aise)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU