Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Let's kick the year off with some Fingerpori, won't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Vargo posted:

The "grand finale" of Mr. Boop was put up about an hour ago and hey, it's stupid garbage! Like the rest of the strip!

I know it's a favorite around here but I really loving hate Mr Boop.

Mr. Boop was real fun when it was in the cartoon insanity phase. Then it jumped up its own butt.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori is a Finnish daily web comic by Pertti Jarla. It relies heavily on puns and absurdist humor, which have made it at the same time incomprehensible to non-Finns and a thread favourite.

The original festival was called "Tuli ja leimaus", which basically means "Fire and blaze", but the Finnish word for "leimaus" is also a conjugated form of "leimata", which means "the place where something is stamped". So hopefully this works.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

catlord posted:

I wish it was easier to get the Sam and Max comics. Unless the price dropped suddenly recently, poo poo's 'spensive.

I think I have a spare copy of Surfin' the Highway which I bought after playing the CD-ROM game in the early 90s. I of course bought the Anniversary Edition when that came out, so I could let the older copy go to a good home at a very reasonable price.

Send me a PM if you're interested.

Today's Fingerpori:

"And there!"
"No spam, no advertisements"

(people in Finland slap those stickers on their doors in hopes of stopping th endless stream of kebab menus and pillow advertisements from clogging our mailboxes)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The_Other posted:

(again if the thread thinks it's not appropriate for me to post a webcomic here, just tell me and I'll stop.)

What monster would prevent you from posting this?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Your feet can't even reach the pedals, kid!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Finlayson, a fabric manufacturer in my town, have been selling Moomin things for some time now, but they are normally quite expensive. Yesterday they were having a 60% off sale. So I am now a bit more Moomin-minded.

(that's a duvet cover, a table cloth and an oven mitt, which is what I originally went in to buy)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

EasyEW posted:

Dok's "...Life Is But A Dream" Duck (May 31, 1913)

Wow, people used to take boat races a lot more seriously.

Today's Fingerpori:

In the second panel Jesus' lower comment is a quote from the bible, from Apocalypse 22:20. I didn't know it by heart, but the phrasing was so archaic in Finnish that I googled it and sure enough, it's a bible quote. So I used the English version of that quote here.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

Ah yes, my CAREER as a sports mascot.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

I think the joke translates across pretty well on its own, but it's worth stressing that "humpuuki" is an old Finnish word for humbug, and is used to indicate all kinds of nonsense, pseudoscience etc. So this might as well be "Doctor Flimflamstein's sensational method for winning the lottery".

E: Fingerpori reaches for the low hanging fruit but I like the details, like that one cat eating cartoonish dead fish :3:

As long time readers might remember, for reasons that probably made sense at the time, some old movie theaters are called "BIO" somethings in many parts of Europe*.

(* German inventors Max and Emil Skladanowsky invented and popularized the Bioscop projector system in the late 19th century, which is probably why you still find Bioscoops and Bio Reginas and whatnot throughout Europe)

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jan 17, 2021

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

You are both high-paid professionals. You can afford a 600 dollar table if you want it. gently caress you and your biking shorts that probably cost more, Ed.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Maus is amazing.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I feel this to my bones. I was a Kevin in middle and high school and got dismal grades in most subjects. My grades didn't necessarily reflect my grasp of the material or intelligence.

I cruised through elementary school and high school with my "half listen to the teacher, don't bother with homework or studying for exams" approach purely by being a moderately smart guy, which got me what would probably be a C/C+ average in the USA.

When I went into university and had to learn how to actually study (and was eventually diagnosed with ADHD) it was like running into a god drat brick wall. But it paid off with a graduating average of 4.42/5.

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

Everyone in Finland knows one of these guys. My brother is one of them! He's a carpenter so he actually has a job, but all of his spare time and spare money go into repairing an endless stream of cheap lovely cars he buys. When he gets one into working condition it doesn't interest him anymore and he sells it off, buying "a great deal" from one of his shady friends for a song, and the cycle begins again.

And I'm not talking about classic cars or anything, but like "I bought a '92 Volvo, it's OK except the windows don't work and it kind of doesn't steer to the right and the engine only starts if it's between 17 and 23 degrees and not too humid, and there's only one seat, but it was a good deal at 200 euros".

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jan 24, 2021

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

My Lovely Horse posted:

I mean, I automatically assumed My Summer Car didn't come from nowhere.

Yeah, that's a good call.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

My Lovely Horse posted:

Oh poo poo I just realized I've never read this one.

also that it's really loving dark hundreds of dead birds what the gently caress moomin this isn't curl up with a cup of tea material

Hey life in Finland is rough.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

Back when I was a kid, my great grandmother clipped out Modesty Blaise from the newspapers every day and stored the comics in big photo albums, the kind with sticky pages and those weird transparent cover flaps on every page.

I always assumed it was just a very milquetoast old people's comic but turns out great grandma was a god drat sex maniac.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Slammy posted:

And He Did! (March 24, 1918)

True story: back when I was in the Finnish Defence Forces (II/03 represent) everyone knew that the absolute best way to get a tent stove going was to take two pieces of army crispbread, apply a generous dose of army boot polish between them and then burn the unholy sandwich.

Gets your stove going in any weather, even if it's somehow completely soaked.

(if that doesn't work for whatever reason, putting some Mandrake the Magician* on the shoe polish will definitely get the job done, and also everyone yelled at if anyone above the rank of tired sergeant happens to be around)

* in Finnish army lingo paraffin is known as Taika-Jim (lit. "Magic Jim"), the Finnish name for Mandrake the Magician. See, I got it back on topic by the end!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

SubNat posted:

Moomin Goes Wild West

Moomin ancestor totem pole!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

What the hell is a vagánia.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bumper pack of Fingerpori.

(I know it's the Steam Engine in English, but in Finnish it's Steam Machine both ways so play along)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oof, that cuts deep. Growing up the only kids my age that lived anywhere near us were girls, and we were good friends until all the adults started that same poo poo and made it weird. We were still so young there wasn't anything even remotely romantic in our friendships, and we didn't understand the jokes, but we understood that adults were making fun of us so the friendships just kinda died.

Great job, adults.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I see Pertti Jarla of Fingerpori is familiar with Teslas.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Doomykins posted:

"Jucika uses the Telephone"

Ah yes. Ultra Instinct Jucika!

Hit play on this when you get to the second panel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrJLsNo9sCU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Apparently this is a picture Tove Jansson drew when she was tired of doing Moomin comics. Tove no :ohdear:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Samovar posted:

Arlo & Janice manages to thread the needle between lovely and pure with horny on main and I love it for it.

Yeah it's such a good comic. I can't believe I didn't like it at first.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Kennel posted:

Comet's tail doesn't tell its direction, Little My, you idiot, you moron.

Maybe it does in Moomin-World!!!!!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Poil posted:

:allears:
Did you know that Leonardo da Vinci invented the helicopter?

"According to this, da Vinci invented among other things the helicopter."

(I'd never noticed the smaller helicopter circle in the Vitruvian Man :v:)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (February 8, 1992)

It's early 1992, and Lauri Ala-Mämmilä is worried about Finland's future and independence as part of the EU. He refers to UKK, Urho Kaleva Kekkonen, a longtime Finnish president who famously invited foreign dignitaries to sauna, where political matters were discussed and decided. YYA was Ystävyys-, yhteistyö- ja avunantosopimus, a 1948 treaty that formed the basis of Finno-Soviet relations until 1992. As for EU, a referendum on joining was held in October of 1994 with 56.9% of the voters supporting membership.

The thing I love most about this comic is that all the big-talking turbo-patriot Finns flee from the too hot sauna, while Mukku just calmly stays there to carry on the conversation.

Believe it or not, but "I can sit in a hotter sauna than you" is a big thing in dumb Finnish dick waving contests.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

His Divine Shadow posted:

I think it's too simplistic to say this is patriotism or nationalism.

Oh I wasn't referring to their dialogue in this comic specifically, although you do make a good point. I was more talking of how every time they're around Mukku it's 24/7 Winter War references and comments about how some guy from a "camelshit coast" can't understand Finland or being Finnish.

And then he out-saunas them all casually. That's got to sting.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

"Leg make-up"?

Is it that stuff people used to create a stocking-like effect on their legs during World War II when stockings were impossible to find?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Brutalist architecture 100% is underrated, loving love it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Selachian posted:

And you know what that means.

Hell yes!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The_Other posted:

Here is a comic John Allison posted on his twitter yesterday. It's an old one he drew back in 2018. I'm not exactly sure what Shelley means in the 4th panel. Am I better off not knowing?

As Hwurmp says, it means sex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V8KdGqUfek&t=116s

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

His Divine Shadow posted:

Holy poo poo chasing someone with an axe, I can't believe how well Muku has assimilated into finnish culture.

For full style points it needs to be chasing someone into the snow, preferably during Christmas.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori is a high brow comic for smart people.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Selachian posted:

How does a bird, or anyone else, pronounce "klxn"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QVMDnSZ5Wk&t=94s

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Doomykins posted:

"Jucika and the Train"

In case someone wants a Jucika avatar.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

SubNat posted:

Moomin and the Golden Tail

e: fullsize of the newspaper:

I love that in the tiny newspaper picture you can see Moominpappa dancing on the table and another Moomin doing the "I've got my hand up blocking my vision, I do not see or know this person" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Some Guy TT posted:

Help, I don't know anything about cars so I don't have any idea what they're trying to do.

I think the only car knowledge you need here is that car wheels go around, and the kid's got the handle of that ... lemonade maker (they've got a melting block of ice and what looks like a bag of sugar as well as some lemony looking things in the bucket) or whatever attached to the wheel, so when the wheel spins the crank turns as well.

Work smart, not hard.