Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
:siren: HAPPY PUBLIC DOMAIN DAY 2021 :siren:

(Charles Dana Gibson)

The New Year means that printed and filmed works from 1925 have been sprung from US copyright jail, and the intellectual property therein is now available. Want to write a book about Gatsby's kitchen help grousing about him behind his back? Go nuts. But for our purposes, that throws open the first six months of Bill Conselman and Charles Plumb's Ella Cinders, Ferd Johnson's Texas Slim, and the final installments of Winsor McCay's Dream of the Rarebit Fiend.

Meanwhile, thread favorite Dok Hager had just retired due to failing eyesight, so George Hager and his sister Mary Hager Dearborn retooled the Kid and his community of wiseasses as The Adventures of Waddles, which also began in '25. And really, good for them for keeping the family tradition going, but after a few years of the sometimes-feral Dok ducks, George and Mary's version seems a little domesticated for my tastes.

Anyway, let's join the comics parade.

(Esplinade)

Sally Forth (Francesco Marciuliano and Jim Keefe) was one of the first strips to adjust to the brave new world of social distancing, mask wearing, and school-age kids struggling with the stress of living in interesting times. It's often :words:, but I'm on board as long as they're good :words:.

Ces also lived up to the 2020 challenge in other important ways.

https://twitter.com/fmarciuliano/status/1277773256372686848

I also returned to Pearls Before Swine (Stephan Pastis), and somehow the Everything On Fire aesthetic of the previous twelve months has found the strip in its element...to the point where you're tempted to do a wellness check on Pastis. Case in point:

Skippy (Percy Crosby) was created for the first version of Life Magazine (which we pull from for Skippy on Sunday). As summed up by Don Markstein: "Once, the name "Skippy" was associated in the public consciousness with an extremely popular comic strip about a little boy and his small town adventures. Comics historian and critic Coulton Waugh (whose cartooning credentials included having taken over Dickie Dare from Milton Caniff) said it "was no routine, ordinarily good job". It's no exaggeration to call it the Peanuts of its time. Now, the name only refers to a brand of peanut butter. There's a connection between the two, and the story behind it appears even more sordid than what's been going on between Disney and the licensor of Winnie the Pooh." (June 21, 1933)

There are two flavors of Peanuts (Charles Schulz) in rotation right now: the early days, before the kids developed a webwork of neuroses and Snoopy developed an active fantasy life, and the stuff I grew up with. It's two decades after the end of the line, so we get to read both, which can't be a bad thing. (January 4, 1974)

Funky WInkerbean (Tom "Goddam" Batiuk and Chuck "You're Killing Me With This poo poo, Pal" Ayers) runs with a two year buffer, which means that the strip takes place in a no-COVID AU that's even more disconnected from The Way We Live Now than in recent years. That's before we get to the supremely insulting Important Story of 2020, about ICE and deportations which was abruptly wrapped up with a "white privilege saves the day!" bow. All so the Pizza Box Golem could make an unwanted second appearance.

Crankshaft (Tom "Goddamn" Batiuk and Dan "You Brought This On Yourself, Buddy" Davis), the story of a grumpy malaprop-spouting school bus driver, takes place ten years before Funky Winkerbean, but they both still take place in the modern day. None of this is necessary to know to roll your eyes at either one of them, or (more likely) both.

9 Chickweed Lane (Brooke "History's Greatest Monster" McEldowney) is defined as much by the things the artist/writer refuses to do (acknowledging the past 50 years of the outside world, for instance) as what he does. In that spirit, the big 9CL story of 2020 was the birth of Edda's twins, a set of girls who were promptly swept off the stage for months at a time until McEldowney was ready to reintroduce them as nasty little trolls who speak to each other in the type of snippy, pretentious dialogue that makes Peanuts 1973 read like Peanuts 1953. The upside to that is that we weren't forced to see hothouse flowers Edda and Amos attempt parenting. We were forced to see them attempt foreplay in front of the kids, though.

Rip Haywire (Dan Thompson) was working his usual square-jawed, two-fisted, retro action hero groove until Dan went and Great Gazooed us for the last months of the year with a reality warping space alien. We seem to be back in the "real" world now, but you'll have to forgive me for being a little bit twitchy.

Thimble Theater (Elzie Segar) the beloved tale of a mutant sailor and his many hangers-on. Our current storyline is titled "A Sock For Susan's Sake". (August 3, 1937)

Out Our Way (J.R. Williams): cowboys, machine shop workers, turn-of-the-century small town nostalgia, sibling rivalry, high-strung mothers, and (of course) BOYZENDORGS. (November 18-20, 1935)

Ick is the only recurring POC character in OOW, but considering the way he's written and drawn, his appearances go behind the spoiler curtain. I've gone back and forth on that over the years, but last summer kind of sealed the deal.

We're closing on the end of year two of Toonerville Folks (Fontaine Fox), and the long-term cast is gradually falling into place. Small town characters, powerful nursemaids, and a world-famous form of public transport. (December 27-29, 1916, as published in the New Orleans Times-Picayune, which didn't seem to give a drat about keeping a six-a-week, Monday-Friday schedule, so they still have a lot of Christmas panels to burn through.)

Regardless of what Dok Hager's heirs did with his property later on, for our purposes The Duck, By Dok (later "Dok's Dippy Duck") is still the story of a smartass Seattle-based duck hanging out on a street corner. Sometimes he picks fights. Sometimes fights pick him. Created by a dentist who took up cartooning in middle age and became a regional legend.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

rannum posted:

This is a joke, right

please tell me this is a joke and im falling for it

I double checked in case I was remembering it wrong, and I stand corrected, because Funky and Crankshaft have only been a year ahead of publication date for a long, long time. TomBat claims that gives him better flexibility for planning and plotting his big events, but only that means he really, really doesn't have any excuse for how the ICE story sputtered out like a wet fart.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (January 5, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 "Oh, Please Don't Toy With My Emotions Like This" Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater, in which we wait for dawn to break over Marblehead. (August 4, 1937)

Out Our Way (November 21-23, 1935)

Toonerville Folks (December 30-31, 1916 and (checks notes) January 5, 1917. My source may be skipping a lot of panels at this point.)

Dok's "A Squirt Squirted" Duck (May 28, 1913)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts is a little more abstract than usual.

HAHAHAHAnope...

(January 6, 1974...the best I could do on short notice.)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane, featuring that form-fitting, figure-flattering snow gear you're all familiar with.

Life (With Skippy), launching into our Favorite Not-A-Peanut-Butter-Mascot's third year of pre-newspaper adventures. (January 1, 1925)

Elsewhere In The Issue:

Don Herold goes on a crossword jag, as had the rest of the country:

And yes, I've seen this one on Twitter, thank you very much...
https://twitter.com/yesterdaysprint/status/1345252064058753024

Meanwhile, Charles Henry Sykes reminds us that "2020 energy" wasn't exactly invented in 2020.

(T.S. Sullivant)

And because there are words in the magazine, too...

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 3, 2021

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (June 22, 1933)

Peanuts (January 7, 1974...and no color smear this time. I know you're disappointed.)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 5, 1937)

Out Our Way (November 25-27, 1935)

Toonerville Folks, in which Tomboy Taylor assumes her final form in a shocking rapid time. (January 6-8, 1917)

Dok's "Here's An Angle The Lumières Never Figured Out" Duck (May 29, 1913)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (June 23-24, 1933)

Peanuts (January 8-9, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (June 6-7, 1937)

Today took a little gas out of my tank, so I think I'll leave it there for now.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (June 26, 1933)

Peanuts (January 10, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 9, 1937)

Out Our Way (November 28-30, 1935)

Toonerville Folks (January 9-11, 1917; spoiler for background racial caricature)

Dok's "Merrily, Merrily, Merrily, Merrily..." Duck (May 30, 1913)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (June 27, 1933)

Peanuts (January 11, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 10, 1937)

Out Our Way (December 2-4, 1935)

Toonerville Folks (January 12-14, 1917)

Dok's "...Life Is But A Dream" Duck (May 31, 1913)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 9, 2021

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Exhausted as hell, so here's my minimum RDA of comic strips...

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (January 12, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 11, 1937)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (January 13, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane in "Excuse Me, SIr, But You've Got PP On Your Cartoon."

Life (With Skippy) (January 8, 1925)

Elsewhere In The Issue:

(Charles Dana Gibson)

(Rube Goldberg)

(Ellison Hoover)

(Jack Farr)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

davidspackage posted:

This is definitely going to see some use!

As always, it's an honor to be of service. :patriot:

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (June 28-29, 1933)

Peanuts (January 14-15, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywiire

Thimble Theater (August 12-13, 1937)

Out Our Way (December 5-7, 1935)

Dok's "Bughouse" Duck (June 1, 1913)

Toonerville will be back tomorrow, I'm pretty sure.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Johnny Walker posted:

Also Pearls before Swine strips that coincidently are about a attempted coup during the inauguration week are being pulled.

https://twitter.com/stephanpastis/status/1349405632281993216

Weird situation, but totally understandable.

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Censorship

Skippy (June 30, 1933)

Peanuts (January 16, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 "Oh God, This poo poo Again" Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 14, 1937)

Out Our Way (December 9-11, 1935)

Toonerville Folks, featuring TOMBOYZENDORGZ. (January 15-17, 1917)

Dok's "Flipping The Bird' Duck (June 3, 1913)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (July 1 and 3, 1933)

Peanuts (January 17-18, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Antagonizing medical professionals is entirely plausible for decrepit olds, but usually they wait until after retirement to pour it on.

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 16-17, 1937)

Out Our Way (December 12-14, 1935)

Toonerville Folks (January 18, 20-21, 1917)

Dok's "SNEAKY SNEK!" Duck (June 4, 1913)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 15, 2021

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Pearls Before The One Pastis Had To Pull Because REALITY

Peanuts (January 19-20, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Thimble Theater (August 18, 1937)

Life (With Skippy) (January 15, 1925)

Elsewhere In The Issue: Well, the theme of this week's issue was "The Dixie Issue", which for some reason gave them the green light for a lot of racial stereotype stuff, because 1925. So instead, here's another crossword cartoon from Don Herold.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Aw crap, I knew I was forgetting something. The quick and dirty version, then...

Sally Forth prepares us for another week of nervous laughter.

Pearls Before Last Minute Substitutions

Skippy (July 4, 1933)

Peanuts (January 21, 1974)

Funky WInkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 19, 1937)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth isn't trying to break your heart. Honest.

Pearls Before Mid-Season Repeats

Skippy (July 5-6, 1933)

Peanuts (January 22-23, 1974)

Funky's Dad: A Study In Advanced States Of Human Decay

Crankshaft

9 Public Exhibitionism Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 20-21, 1937)

Out Our Way (December 16-18, 1935)

(Another one where Ick is uncomfortably close to being the butt of the joke.)

I'm tuckered out, so Toonerville and ducks will have to wait again.

e: because I forgot the beginning of this story and could've sworn Funky wasn't old enough to have cataracts.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 24, 2021

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (July 7, 1933)

Peanuts (January 24, 1974)

Funky WInkerbean

Crankshaft

9 "This Pepsi Tastes Like Tinactin" Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 23, 1937)

Out Our Way (December 19-21, 1935)

Dok's "Support Your Local Small Businesses" Duck (June 5, 1913)

My Toonerville source choked before I got the full three for today. Trying again for tomorrow...

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (July 8, 1933)

Peanuts (January 25-26, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 24-25, 1937)

Out Our Way (December 23-25, 1935; spoiler bar for racial stereotype)

Toonerville Folks (January 22-24, 1917)

Dok's "Mutiny In The T-Zone" Duck (June 6, 1913)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (January 27, 1974)

Funky WInkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Life (With Skippy) (January 22, 1925)

Elsewhere in the issue:

(Don Herold Jr.)

(Charles Forbell, the guy who did the ad designs for Mr. Peanut and a nice 1913 Sunday strip called Naughty Pete. At least I think so. These signatures are gonna be the death of me.)

And yeah, this is where the thing you might've seen on the socials came from:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Pearls Before More Reruns

The riot really did a number on Stephan's release schedule, didn't it...

Skippy (July 10, 1933)

Peanuts (January 28, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 26, 1937)

Out Our Way (December 26-28, 1935)

Toonerville Folks (January 25-27, 1917)

Dok's FAKE NEWS Duck (June 7, 1913)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 26, 2021

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (July 11-12, 1933)

Peanuts (January 29-30, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft catches up with the times without really catching up with the times.

9 Chickweed Legs

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 27-28, 1937)

Out Our Way (December 30, 1935-January 1, 1936)

Toonerville Folks (January 28, 30-31, 1917; spoiler for racial stereotyping.)

Dok's "SuperQUACK" Duck (June 8, 1913)

Today our hero is banging on about the Revenue Act of 1913. For decades after the Civil War, protectionist policies held the Republican coalition together, but by the Wilson administration the Democrats viewed them as an unfair tax on consumers, and the Revenue Act of 1913 cut them drastically.

The Act also established a permanent federal income tax in the wake of the 16th Amendment made that a thing the feds could do without fearing a court challenge. It was believed that would shift the tax burden onto the wealthier population. "Yeah, we'll see about that," generations of accountants replied.

Anyway, that makes the Kid an advocate for home-grown quiet. Imported silence isn't enough to make America hush again.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

Wait is Rerun supposed to be Linus' twin brother or had Schulz just completely given up on attempting to make characters look distinct?

Rerun is Linus's baby brother, but he also happens to be a dead ringer for Linus, which is why everyone calls him that.

So...the second one, maybe. :shrug:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (July 13-14, 1933)

Peanuts (January 31-February 1, 1974)

Smirky Smirkerbean

Plagueshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater starts a new story. (August 30-31, 1933)

Out Our Way (January 2-4, 1936)

Toonerville Folks (February 1-3, 1917)

Dok's "Really Gonna Hate the 18th Amendment" Duck (June 9, 1913)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (February 2, 1974)

Funky Reading-signs-erbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 1, 1937)

Out Our Way (January 6-8, 1936)

Toonerville Folks (February 4 and 6, 1917 (with a gap that needs some explaining))

The New Orleans paper did publish a Fontaine Fox panel on February 5th, but in the interest of full disclosure, it's another Col. Henry Clay Medders cartoon. His gimmick was a bad enough combination of themes the last time I pulled the shades down on him, but this go-round was extra enough that I'm not going to touch it with a 104 year-long pole.

Instead, here's a Toonerville from much later that doesn't make my head throb.

Speaking of gags that didn't age well, that Katrinka one was printed three days after Woodrow Wilson and Congress broke off official relations with Germany. The American leg of the European war was just a few months away. The revelations about the Zimmerman Telegram probably loaded a new subtext into the kids' Pancho Villa games, too.

Dok's "Greetings, Music Lovers" Duck (June 10, 1913)

Let's not end this one on a down note. Hit it, Joe!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWVFEVWJMz8

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Kavak posted:

Out of grim curiosity, what was it about?

Description spoilered for people who don't have a grim curiosity.

The gag is that a Kentucky colonel is settling a neighbor family's dispute with the kitchen help by firing off his gun to trigger a comedy about-face, which makes it sound like a standard TV/movie cliche gag. What escalates its radiation level is that the help is a woman of color and the Colonel is an old white dude who could've plausibly been a still-living Confederate vet in 1917 (with everything that implies). And there he is, standing on a hill puffing out his chest and holding a smoking gun while she's sprinting back to the house, leaving a trail of "yes sirs" and mid-air sweat drops in her wake.

Leaving it out was a no-brainer...and that I pointed out it was missing shows that I'm a different kind of "no-brainer".

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm always curious to know what's going on in these old comics, the bad and the good alike. And with the amount of historic comics this thread posts, I've come to see it as an account of history at least as much as my light entertainment. If I'm reading a historical account, I prefer a full account. In fact, someone could probably do actual academic research based on the kind of stuff you all are meticulously digging up, but that hypothetical someone would need everything, or at the very least need to know where there are gaps. Please don't make yourselves the arbiter of "you don't need to see this".

(No kidding by the way: if a student came up to me in the library and asked for material about comic strips, I'd recommend them a few books but I'd have no qualms to add that there's also this one interesting forums thread.)

Plus if it distresses you personally this much to come across 100 year old racism, maybe you shouldn't be digging through 100 year old comics. This one seems to have thrown you for quite a loop. Please also don't legitimately hurt yourself mentally or emotionally on account of the light entertainment/historic account thread.

The most concise way I can put it (and concise is where I usually get into trouble, so fingers crossed): A large chunk of it is there's some parts of the past that don't feel like they're past enough.

The other sliver of it is the slapdash way I drill down through the archives means this is legitimately the first time I'd run across this particular collision of themes that stink on ice in something I post on a regular basis. Anyway, if I've got sadbrains, it's not because of anything posted in or prepped for the comic strip thread, but I appreciate the wellness check.

Enough about my hangups, though. Click the thumbnail for the missing 2/5/1917, because I'm still not the least bit tempted to put it up without a blast barrier.

So anyway...

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (February 3, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Still trying to remember how old Funky is supposed to be that he's getting an operation for glaucoma.

Crankshaft

9 OH MY GOD THAT GAPING MAW AGAIN!

(Zoom zoom zoom....)

This is where I usually call for some cloud gazing, but it just occurred to me that Brooke's laughing mouths remind me of the thylacine. So instead: what other animals do Edda's open mouth remind you of? Because if your answer's "human", you're lying.

Life (With Skippy) (January 29, 1925)

Elsewhere in the issue: BOOBS!

(John Held Jr.)

(Ellison Hoover shares some between-the-wars energy.)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine, in which the dailies have made it back to 2021.

Skippy (July 15, 1933)

Peanuts (February 4, 1974)

Funky Eyesightbean

Cataracts do start developing in your late 40s to early 50s, but don't usually affect your eyesight until hit your 60s. Which again makes me wonder how old the Westview geezers are supposed to be, since the 1992 time jump retconned them into Gen Xers, but the second time jump is ten years later, but still in a version of the present where everything is an off-brand generic and at least a year out of step.

And now some wiki editor claims that Crankshaft might be as much as twenty years behind because Cayla showed up as a college student in a 2011 strip, and definitely not as the mother of a teenage daughter. Which poses a whole other question: how old is Oxygen Tank Ed supposed to be in the Funky crossovers?

My brain hurts.

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 2, 1937)

Out Our Way (January 9-11, 1936)

Toonerville Folks (February 7-9, 1917)

Dok's "Does His Best Work In His Sleep" Duck (June 11, 1913)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 1, 2021

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (July 17-18, 1933)

Peanuts (February 5-6, 1974)

Big-rear end surprise: Funky Winkerbean on goof gas is exactly like Funky Winkerbean off of it.

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane gives us "Mock self-awareness that never reads like the real thing." And yet...

HE DARED DRAW A NEGRO. And yet, my indifference is profound.

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater, in which Poopdeck Pappy buys off a jury. (September 3-4, 1937)

Out Our Way (January 13-15, 1936)

Toonerville Folks (February 10-12, 1917)

Time is tight, so ducks are grounded again.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (July 19, 1933)

Peanuts (February 7, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed BALD SPOT

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 6, 1937)

Out Our Way (January 16-18, 1936)

Toonerville Folks (February 13-15, 1917)

I always scale these panels to fit into a browser window, but this one deserves a zoom in...

Such innocent joy at dropping an ice knife on the lady. :allears:

Dok's "Nigerian Prince Scam Of The Telegraph Age" Duck (June 12, 1913)

Wiki, in case you missed the background the last time this came up.

His Victrola mocks him at every turn. The Kid needs a better record collection.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 5, 2021

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (July 20, 1933)

Peanuts (February 8-9, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 "Indecipherable Gibberish That Apparently Turns Some People On" Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater, in which there's more than one way to beat a lie detector. (September 7-8, 1937)

Out Our Way (January 20-22, 1936)

It's a double-trolley Saturday on Toonerville Folks (February 16-18, 1917)

And dammit, I just can't help myself...

Seriously, she's a slightly less sinister Little My.

Dok's "Vengeance of the Spanish Prisoner's Prisoner" Duck (June 13, 1913)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (February 10, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Live Nude Chickweed

Life (With Skippy) (February 5, 1925)

Elsewhere in the issue: Mr. Gibson does a palette swap.

(Nate Collier)

(Dorothy Hope Smith, and yes, you absolutely do know her work. It's usually on tiny jars, though.)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Another hastily-cobbled-together day, so let's bump the "fun" part straight to the top. :unsmigghh:

:siren:9 Fetishweed Lane:siren: presents a fully grown woman who, even after giving birth to twins, can fit into the Catholic school uniform that she wore when she was 13 years old...snugly. And she just decides to wear it around town, because reasons. And that's what's we're doing this week! HA! HA!

I'm trying to figure out how big a growth spurt would take a skirt from a third of the way down the calf, the way McE has always drawn them, to a block away from the demilitarized zone. I'm also trying to figure out the bad life choices that led me to asking that particular question.

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (July 21-22, 1933)

Peanuts, in which maybe he is Joe Term Paper Mill after all. (February 11-12, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Plagueshaft

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 9-10, 1937)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth slams on the brakes.

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (July 24, 1933)

Peanuts (February 13, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Fetishweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 11, 1937 (never forget (that the Jeep can be bought off)))

Out Our Way (January 23-25, 1936)

Dok's "Maintain The Peace At All Costs" Duck (June 14, 1913)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 11, 2021

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

Batiuk has really written himself into a corner on this. With his usual determination to not do any research on anything, he probably didn't realize that people exist who don't take COVID-19 seriously and are interpreting Crankshaft's obvious overreaction as being a vindication of their beliefs. It wouldn't surprise me to learn he's been getting complaints. It also wouldn't surprise me to learn that Batiuk somehow isn't even aware that COVID-19 exists at all and that this entire storyline really is just about the flu.

edit: proofreading grrr

TomBat has worked a full year ahead since before Lisa's Story was a thing, so almost definitely the last one. In interviews, he was very proud of that, because he claimed it helped him with his plotting. Of course, that makes this even more inexcusable, because they had at least ten months of living in COVID World to rework this sequence or just drop it altogether and just didn't bother.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 11, 2021

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (July 25, 1933)

Peanuts, in which she who lies down with the dogs wakes up with fleas. (February 14, 1974)

Funky WInkerbean

The punchline: "My life still sucks, and now I can see why."

Plagueshaft

9 Fetishweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 13, 1937)

Out Our Way (January 27-29, 1936)

Toonerville Folks (February 19, 22-23, 1917)

Dok's "Bull poo poo" Duck (February 23, 1917)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 12, 2021

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (July 26, 1933)

Peanuts (February 15, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Plagueshaft

9 "Not Actual Porn, But It Makes Me Feel Dirty" Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 14, 1937)[/b]

Out Our Way (January 30-February 1, 1936)

FDR's forgotten man was roughly the early Depression equivalent of "we are the 99%", the bottom of the economic pyramid that needed the New Deal programs the most. As you can see, though, the turn of phrase kind of got away from him.

Toonerville Folks (February 25-27, 1917)

A little bit of future vision about compulsory service...

The Selective Service Act passed into law on May 18, 1917, six weeks after America formally entered the First World War, which gave the US president the power to draft soldiers. At the outset of America's entry into the war, America's army was 100,000 volunteers who weren't necessarily trained or equipped for what the Europeans had been dishing out and taking. That increased dramatically over the next year, but it took some time.

Needless to say, we're well past "I Didn't Raise My Boy To Be A Soldier" by now.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (February 16, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 15, 1937)

Out Our Way (February 3-5, 1936)

Today's installment of Toonerville Folks represents what the New Orleans paper published on March 4, 6 and 8, 1917. There was nothing between February 27th and March 4th, because apparently some editor thought that the inevitability of war was more important than the trolley that meets all the trains. So I blame the spotty coverage on military priorities.

The absence of ducks, however, I blame on technical difficulties. It's been a fun day for connectivity on this end.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

(Clare Briggs, Feburary 14, 1917)

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (February 17, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Life (With Skippy) (February 12, 1925)

Elsewhere In The Issue: The cover date's just before Valentine's Day, so of course the theme is...commuters. :shrug:

(Rea Irvin)

(James Montgomery Flagg)

(Don Herold)

And while the forgotten man is fresh on our minds, here's one of them as drawn seven years ahead of schedule by Art Young.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (July 27, 1933)

Peanuts (February 18, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 16, 1937)

Out Our Way (February 6-8, 1936)

Toonerville Folks, March 11, 17-18, 1917.

More long stretches with no daily comics in the NOLA newspaper. The whole world is blowing up at once. On top of the wars in Mexico and Europe (American entry just being a matter of when at this point), the February Revolution launched in Russia. The 200 year-old Romanov dynasty, and by extension the Russian Empire, ended in the space between those first two panels when Nicholas II abdicated the throne and his brother declined to succeed him. Nicholas was reunited with his family under "protective custody" at the Alexander Palace in Tsarskoye Selo. What could possibly go wrong?

Lots of sabre-rattling on the front page throughout the month, and not even comic strip superstars Mutt and Jeff were safe from being preempted in the Crescent City.

My source is crapping the bed again, so ducks are on hold.