Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

2021 League of Legends eSports: Mind the (Canyon) Gap

Welcome to Season 11. With another year comes another major change in the game, this time in the form of a near-total item overhaul - and with another major change in the game comes another year of strange meta shifts and strategies in the competitive LoL scene.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What are the implications for Spring Season?

Each region sends its champion to the Mid-Season Invitational. The Main Event's top 4 region get Pool 1 slots and the best-performing play-in region gets two slots in the World Championship later in the year compared to the others' single slots. The spring season also awards championship points for most of the major regions which can come in handy to secure a Worlds spot.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which regions are we talking about?
  • LPL - the LoL Pro League from Mainland China
  • LCK - League Champions Korea
  • LEC - the League European Championship
  • LCS - the North American LoL Championship Series
Followed by:
  • PCS - the Pacific Championship Series encompassing Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macao and a number of Southeast Asian countries
  • VCS - the Vietnam Championship Series, which seceded from the SEA league in 2018
  • CBLOL - the Brazilian league
  • LCL - the LoL Continental League, encompassing the Commonwealth of Independent States aka the former Soviet Union
  • LJL - the LoL Japan League
  • LLA - the Liga Latinoamérica, based in Mexico, Central and most of South America
  • TCL - the Turkish Champions League
  • Oceania will also be present at MSI and Worlds

Another noteworthy tournament is European Masters, which serves a quasi-feeder league/scouting system for LEC teams, featuring teams from all over Europe.

What has changed in the pro scene since the last thread?
  • Korea are no longer the undisputed kings of the hill, with the position being tug-of-warred between them, China, and Europe's G2 and Fnatic.
  • A number of Australian players left for NA at the end of 2019, and due to its low viewership and revenue, Riot have shut down the Oceanic league and their Sydney studios, and has given players from said region exemption from taking import slots in NA.
  • For the same reasons above, coupled with bad international performances since their big win eons ago, the LMS was merged back into the Southeast Asian region.
  • The old guard is slowly bowing out, including Doublelift, Bjergsen, GorillA, among others.
  • Most of the leagues are being franchised, some because of the profit potential, others because they are barren wastelands without any profit potential. Out of the aforementioned leagues, the only ones that have somewhat of a promotion-relegation system as of this writing are the PCS, the VCS and the LLA.
  • OGN has died. Long live OGN.

Previous threads:

Summer 2018-2020Summer 2016-2017Spring 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
This is gonna be Doublelift's year I just know it

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Do we have dates for when each region starts up again?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

We board the Excel pain train for another year.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Here’s to disappointment and a 15 character meta pool! Bring it on.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

Digital Jedi posted:

LCS lock in tourney is Jan 15 and LEC season should startJan 22. LCK/LPL haven't been announced yet I think.

KESPA Cup finals are on Saturday between DWG and RedForce (rebranded Team Dynamics featuring Rich/Peanut)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Digital Jedi posted:

I think a few are confirmed, LCS starts with the Lock-In tournament on the 15th, LEC is back on the 22nd, LCK and LPL still not confirmed with start dates yet.

And the real major region, the NLC starts on the 19th.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
It only took three years but someone finally made a new thread and the curse has been lifted :unsmith:

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
new thread

i am going to try and watch this garbage fire again this season. hopefully i get to post clown 9 more than once

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
NA will win worlds this year due to the superior BURGERMIND of, that's right, Team Solooooooooooooooooooooooo Mid

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Mmmm new thread

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I'm hoping the item changes means we see varied builds depending on player preference

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I hope NA teams learn you can do stuff before 15 minutes

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Apparently lying to and screwing over your entire staff makes it hard to field a team because Phelan are pulling out of the UKLC after getting kicked out of the NLC.
https://uklc.gg/top-news/phelan-gaming-withdraws-from-the-uklc/

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

njsykora posted:

Apparently lying to and screwing over your entire staff makes it hard to field a team because Phelan are pulling out of the UKLC after getting kicked out of the NLC.
https://uklc.gg/top-news/phelan-gaming-withdraws-from-the-uklc/

I still remember when Phelan were the bottom seed in a giant-rear end UK gauntlet and managed to go all the way to third. But after all this, I'm not going to miss them.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Jerkface posted:

NA will win worlds this year due to the superior BURGERMIND of, that's right, Team Solooooooooooooooooooooooo Mid

Jerkface im your ally in this season, its time for TSM to defeat the lucker dogs

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

with no bjerg or doublelift it might be nice to see TSM good again

might be

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Remember Bjerg is their head coach now, his stench will remain on the team for a long time yet.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

does it smell worse than maplestreet

also you know its kind of underrated that the dirtiest looking league professional was related to the one who gave himself scurvy. their parents really needed a talking to

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

LPL is loving starting this week. Not sure who else follows it here but just giving heads up since the schedule was nowhere to be found until today. https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/kpgx5g/lpl_spring_split_2021_schedule_released_starting/

It's starting this Saturday, it will basically be midnight Friday in Eastern US/Canada time.

Those who saw Demacia cup already got a taste, looks like JDG/TES looking like top teams again + possibly WE who got huge upgrade in top/mid. IG didn't play with their full line up so will be interested in seeing them, also Nuguri debuts for FPX in the 3rd gameday although they looked pretty crappy despite their sub top looking really good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
https://twitter.com/c9perkz/status/1346127240220721152?s=21

Oh no

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

sidebar but its very funny to me that after perkz left EU because of how much he hates playing ADC he has been saying its the most overpowered role again

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I completely forgot he left LEC.

LCS is going to be so weird this year with so many new faces.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

sidebar but its very funny to me that after perkz left EU because of how much he hates playing ADC he has been saying its the most overpowered role again

Haha I literally never seen any other role complain about adc being bad other than adc players themselves. Like when Jungle was gimped earlier this year every player in every role knew it was weak until Riot buffed jungle xp so much it became the best role.

When does the LCS tournament start?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Ulio posted:

LPL is loving starting this week. Not sure who else follows it here but just giving heads up since the schedule was nowhere to be found until today. https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/kpgx5g/lpl_spring_split_2021_schedule_released_starting/

It's starting this Saturday, it will basically be midnight Friday in Eastern US/Canada time.

Those who saw Demacia cup already got a taste, looks like JDG/TES looking like top teams again + possibly WE who got huge upgrade in top/mid. IG didn't play with their full line up so will be interested in seeing them, also Nuguri debuts for FPX in the 3rd gameday although they looked pretty crappy despite their sub top looking really good.

hell yeah. hyped

that's interesting about adc, which of the new items have made them the most op?

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Galeforce

Editing to expand on that: yes, the dash is nice but I reckon the true power of it is the missile which does something like 600 damage at max level and correct me if I'm wrong but 50% more to low hp targets. Dont ignore the move speed bonus too, movespeed lets you reposition easier and therefore stay alive longer. Attack speed is nice and all but doesnt mean much if you're dead

el dingo fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 5, 2021

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
the galeforce active could deal no damage and it'd still be busted, but yes the damage is nuts

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Korea is finally ditching the gauntlet playoffs format, now they're going with what LCS used when they started.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That's a good format, hope it catches on.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Dig is BACK

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Max Coveri posted:

Dig is BACK

I can't see how a roster with Dardoch and Aphromoo could possibly fail

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Going from the logo no-one really cared about to the logo people actually recognise is alright as a first step. The keys in the image are all WASD and not QWER though so 0/10 for game relevancy.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
should've been mousepads to complete the dignitas throwback

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

njsykora posted:

That's a good format, hope it catches on.

Ya the Gauntlet format was loving trash.

Anyway LCK doesn't look that interesting to me. I feel like it still has the most talent but the talent is too spread out. There was a rumor early in the season that Afreeca Freecs would be Kiin/Chovy/Deft now that would have been a banger team. As it is every team has some glaring weakness. T1/DWG look like the best rounded.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Max Coveri posted:

Korea is finally ditching the gauntlet playoffs format, now they're going with what LCS used when they started.

awesome. that was one of the few weak points to the lck imo. which reminds me, is LS still casting?

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I’m ready for suffering and to watch Korea/China win worlds while EU pretends it has a chance and for NA to just generally exist.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CODChimera posted:

awesome. that was one of the few weak points to the lck imo. which reminds me, is LS still casting?

According to Leaguepedia it's Wolf and Chronicler listed as colour casters, so nope. I presume with Valdes and Atlus on PBP. This is also apparently the year of terrible new logos because the cool LCK star logo is being replaced by this zero effort thing.

And the LCS shield is changing to this which looks like someone compressed it too far horizontally.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
That LCS logo looks like it belongs to an insurance company

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

njsykora posted:

looks like someone compressed it too far horizontally.

I felt the exact same thing when I first saw it.

In other news AHQ are pulling out of the SEA league. Wonder if the rumors that they're buying into the LPL are true.

e: I just remembered Flash Wolves announced they'd be coming back, so...

Max Coveri fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

jimmydalad posted:

I’m ready for suffering and to watch Korea/China win worlds while EU pretends it has a chance and for NA to just generally exist.

Don't need to pretend, I think EU doesn't have a chance but G2 does. It depends how well they mesh with Rekkles, he just seems not the same type of personality as the rest of the team and Perkz was a leader in/out of the game.