Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Pyosik :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
HECARIM VICTORY LAP

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

pyogsik

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pyosik is forgiven for all his smite flubs lmaio

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

how the gently caress am i supposed to fall asleep now

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I lost the fight against sleep midway through game 4 :negative:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Vermain posted:

how the gently caress am i supposed to fall asleep now

The sun is coming up for me, what the gently caress are you talking about

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
No aatrox ban mvp

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Jeesun's translation from Deft's last comment just legit made me burst out a couple of tears

man's a loving god-tier humble treasure

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Jeesun's translation from Deft's last comment just legit made me burst out a couple of tears

man's a loving god-tier humble treasure

truly one of the all time greats, and now he has his name etched in silver to prove it

Caros
May 14, 2008

Macksy posted:

No aatrox ban mvp

Nuts that they let that slide after he dunked them in game 4

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Stux posted:

picked viktor instead of aatrox or yone in the first rotation: gg

yeah literally waht the gently caress

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it's gotta be armageddon on the T1 fansites right now over that karma first pick

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

lmao 3 points shy of a Top 5000 pick'em. gently caress you, mad lions, this is specifically your fault.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

5 points short, would've got it if I'd picked DRX in either quarterfinal or semifinal.

E: Lol looking through my pickems, I didn't have DRX getting out of groups and didn't pick them in any of the knockout stages until the final. And I didn't change that until 20 minutes before picks locked.

Even better, the top of the leaderboard made one wrong pick and it was Mad Lions beating EG in play-in knockouts.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 6, 2022

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

EU really just had it out for my pickems this year between MAD and RGE

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Vermain posted:

it's gotta be armageddon on the T1 fansites right now over that karma first pick

the only sane reaction after seeing keria after the game is thus: they tried their best and did well get em next year. ganbatte t1.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

This finals was honestly more than I could have hoped for, and I do not say that lightly. I had emotionally written off the entirety of Worlds once I learned of the TZ-difference in the broadcasting-schedule.
I've missed nearly the entirety of the matches this Worlds live and was only able to catch up to them on the day after via VODs and still got enough enjoyment out of them tbh. But I still expected to be massively bummed because I wouldn't be able to watch the conclusion if it ended up "meaning something".

When the KO-stages started resolving as they did and we started seeing this absolutely insane arc, I started to be even more bummed, and I cannot put into words how loving thankful I am for the arc ending up in this way.
Going into this, it was a win-win for me. I was rooting for Faker to solidify his legacy, but was equally comfortable with DRX and Deft completing their miracle run. I was solidly behind T1 emotionally in the final game, but even as it dawned on me that they were not going to make it, the level of despair for them did not outweigh my joy for Deft, Beryl, Pyosik & co. as they cleaned out the base.

To my great surprise, the moment that my heart broke wasn't seeing Faker come to terms with the loss, but seeing Keria break down, especially when he hugged Pyosik on the final handshakes. That was legit emotional as all hell.

I'm so goddamn happy for Deft and DRX as a whole, and as I sleep off these 10 beers between 11:30PM / 6:30AM local time, I'm sure I'll start thinking about watching this dumb and amazing series again via VODs.

Tournament owns, thread owns, you all own. :3:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Ey yo, this Ikea nightstand is so drat sexy and spacious, I'm never going to accidentally knock my alarm clock off it again

Best worlds ever

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

By the way, dunno if anyone has posted about it but DRX's Youtube has a load of mini-documentary/team diary type stuff with English subtitles, including stuff from the free agency period of last year when they were building the team. Pretty decent insight into their journey over this year.

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
how do you ban that support heimer over aatrox in multiple games lol

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I believe in some interview or maybe just perception, but Zeus has been known to allow the aatrox through because he feels comfortable playing against him. Past results show this to be somewhat the case?

Zeus is also kinda bad with aatrox so maybe it's just a hubris/perception thing.

While I was rooting for DRX the whole way through, I'm kinda mad it ended there with a Gwen pick instead of his comfort Jayce.

edit:
https://lol.fandom.com/wiki/Special...pl%5D=Yes&_run=
Not counting the finals, he has gone 2-1 against Aatrox so maybe he just didn't feel the pressure and considered game 4 just an "off game"

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 6, 2022

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Aatrox went 2-2

i thought the p2 viktor was the really strange thing, shoulda been Yone...

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Nautilus wasn't the most deaths :(

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Yeah I didn't get to livepost much but what an amazing series, just amazing and back and forth. Agree that it will be so hard to top

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
How did DRX go through the gauntlet of EDG with the best adc on earth into GenG with Chovy and crew preordained and having crushed them every game into defeating Faker's team of developed Gods

How

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
300 crystal ball points :c00l:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Savage Cracker posted:

300 crystal ball points :c00l:

i got a mere 100 points on crystal ball, but my unwavering faith in DRX managed to barely push me over the line into top 5000 for pick 'ems

the real tragedy of the leaderboards is that "unlimit master" almost, almost got perfect pick 'ems... except that he thought MAD would defeat EG

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i think zeus was probably feeling the nerves of the huge stage as well, he was getting caught out way more than usual, taking odd 1v1s etc. understandable considering hes so new

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Finals owned. Deft and Pyosik were so happy, hard not to cheer for that no matter what.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

180 crystal ball points. How the gently caress did Caitlyn beat out Yuumi for most banned, or Yone end up with highest winrate, or loving Upset manage highest KDA? I did nail EG playing the most unique champs though, even if they did tie with DRX by the end.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anyone done a breakdown of what the hell T1 was thinking with that game 5 draft? Blue side with a 100% win rate in the series and they threw it away for a first pick Karma with Aatrox and Caitlyn up?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

they believed the karma was the important part of the lane pushing so hard and that varus, which had won every single game, was a good answer to match the caitlyn shove. adn tbf they had the botlane push and put deft way behind on cs. priority picking viktor when aatrox was unbanned and not grabbing yone instead, much more questionable.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone done a breakdown of what the hell T1 was thinking with that game 5 draft? Blue side with a 100% win rate in the series and they threw it away for a first pick Karma with Aatrox and Caitlyn up?
Lux (the best Cait support) was banned and Karma smashes Morgana, who is the 2nd best Cait support. They were hoping to either scare DRX off the pick entirely (like banning Nami removed the Lucian option earlier in the tournament) or like Stux said just use Karma/Varus to beat Cait in lane. Which they did, you don't pick Cait to go 15 cs down at 15 minutes and get no plates.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Right, but that only solved 1 lane at the expense of the rest of the map as others said. It really felt like DRX had won halfway through draft and that T1 walked right into a trap of bad choices that DRX had set to throw off the blue side advantage. I think they made T1 overthink everything and tunnel vision on bot lane.

I mean, they clearly almost won despite the draft but that's down to execution and nerves on both sides I think.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

bengi said in the post-match media interview that they were genuinely bamboozled by the lux ban, because the redside cait ban -> varus tradeoff had become such a standard point in the meta that having that disrupted meant that it threw all their subsequent drafting off. if you first rotate karma to prevent a cait/karma lane - the logical assumption by that point in the draft - then you have to pick varus second rotation, meaning you have a single pick to wiggle with. if you go aatrox, then DRX can pinch sylas/viktor on the next round of bans, meaning faker's forced onto some awful poo poo like liss or taliyah, and i think T1's impression by that point in the series was that zeus wasn't going to be the carry threat they needed (remember how loving good kingen was on camille), so they prioritized viktor and gave zeus and oner scraps

it was an expertly calculated gamble by DRX's coaches. note how they specifically made it their very last ban and how it took basically all of T1's first pick time before they decided on karma. they got their world completely flipped on its head in game 5 of the world finals and it degraded their ability to choose in the heat of the moment

Vermain fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 6, 2022

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
80 crystal ball points.
I got 2 things right :lol:
Reverse sweeps and 1st in group B

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah you could tell they didnt know wtf. it was a smart draft from drx. i think, strangely, the karma first pick into varus was probably the correct response to the situation, but ironically the t1 masterstroke (unironic, the yone pick letting them counter aatrox had been really strong for them) drafting that lead to aatrox not being something they had to ban got turned around on them

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

also the caster reaction to the game 5 steal is absolutely hilarious, kobe picks up and hurls his water bottle randomly and then glances behind to make sure he didn't nail someone. i didn't even hear caedrel screaming "WHAT THE gently caress" on air. what a truly insane moment

Stux posted:

yeah you could tell they didnt know wtf. it was a smart draft from drx. i think, strangely, the karma first pick into varus was probably the correct response to the situation, but ironically the t1 masterstroke (unironic, the yone pick letting them counter aatrox had been really strong for them) drafting that lead to aatrox not being something they had to ban got turned around on them

full credit to beryl, the LoL whiz himself, for having managed to draw a pocket pick ban that completely upended the draft, like imagine what that game looks like if T1 were able to take camille or aatrox away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i still think they shouldve just taken the aatrox or yone instead of the viktor. even having the camile in the game wouldnt have been such an extreme power point as the aatrox without the yone to go against it, and i think faker getting pushed to taliyah or liss or even ahri wouldnt have been as big as an issue. but kingen earned the mvp with it, he was a nightmare in those last two games just constantly tearing apart the backline 1v3.