Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sandman McMahon posted:

9. Stiiiiiiiiing (AEW, 61) - I’m a lifelong Sting mark and will fist fight anyone who doesn’t respect the Stinger.

Jerusalem posted:

• You must choose a wrestler who was ACTIVE in 2020. That means they have had at least one match between January 1st and December 31st, 2020.

Sandman, please update your list as Sting didn't have any matches in 2020. Otherwise I'll have to drop him off and push The Fiend up into your 9th place instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

1. John Silver (AEW): I've genuinely enjoyed watching his matches in the latter part of this year because he was able to display that he can put together such a good and unexpected combo of moves and he has such strength for his size. Who could have thunk that the beaver boys would be so over at the start of this year?

2. Yuna Mizmori aka Yunamon (ChocoPro): I feel like she's the hoss of Choco Pro and while that can be argued, I think that she consistently puts on the best match of the night whenever she is on the card because of the effort she puts into her moves or her effort in committing to working with whatever her opponent is all about.

3. Lulu Pencil (Choco Pro): You may question her wrestling ability and that's fair game but wrestling is more than moves, I believe. It's about being able to sell one's character to the audience and make them believe and that's what Pencil did this year. Watch her lose her hat earlier this year up to when she gets it back and tell me that you're not rooting for her at the end of her saga.

4. Angelico (AEW): I like his laidback attitude before he enters the ring and his lankiness, I think, really helps when he locks on submissoins.

5. Mei Suruga (Choco Pro)
6. Tomohiro Ishii (NJPW)
7.Orange Cassidy (AEW)
8.Rey Fenix (AEW)
9.Sareee
10. Yuka Sakazaki (TJPW)

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Just a note for future lists, two different wrestlers go by Asuka so make sure you denote which one you're selecting. On the first page, 3 of us chose Veny, 2 chose Kana, and EMF didn't specify but assuming they meant the WWE wrestler

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

RealFoxy posted:

1. Adam Page (29, AEW)
2. Adam Cole (31, NXT)
3. Kenny Omega (37, AEW)
4. Yuka Sakazaki (???, TJPW)
5. Kyle O'Reilly (33, NXT)
6. Chris Brookes (29, DDT/Choco Pro)
7. Hiromu Takahashi (31, NJPW)
8. Mei Suruga (21, Choco Pro)
9. Brodie Lee (41, AEW)
10. WALTER (33, NXT UK)
Here's part 1 of 2 of my top 10. All five are :files: but I've listed the dates of my favorite matches they've been in of the year. I know most of you are WWE or AEW fans, I encourage you to check out the non-mainstream wrestlers on my list like Yuka Sakazaki, Chris Brookes, and Mei Suruga, as well as checking out others from Japan, Mexico, & the indies. If you like someone from WWE or AEW, chances are there's someone pretty similar you haven't discovered yet that could be your new favorite.

"Hangman" Adam Page (AEW)
Page started out in AEW in 2019 as a post SHIELD Roman Reigns, we were supposed to like him despite having no reason to. I was there live for his "Cowboy poo poo" promo where he promised he was going to do his best and goddamn he did. His personal character arc in AEW during 2020 was one of the most relatable stories in wrestling period and part of arguably some of the best tag-team wrestling of all time. His story is still evolving and despite not having an audience for most of 2020, I think Adam Page was one of the absolute best at telling a story without a full live audience this year.

What to watch:
Adam Page & Kenny Omega vs. Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson (Fed 29th, AEW Dynamite)
Adam Page & The Beaver Boys vs The Inner Circle (December 30th, AEW Dynamite)
Stadium Stampede: The Elite vs The Inner Circle (May 23rd, AEW Dynamite)
Being the Elite

Adam Cole (baybay)
This was kind of unexpected, I felt like the Undisputed Era had run their course after years of being at the top of NXT as a heel faction, but Adam Cole showed up and put on some outstanding pure wrestling matches despite being kneecapped by being a WWE wrestler. He ended up turning what was a silly commentator feud into the biggest feud in NXT this year and he did it all with his charisma and wrestling ability.

What to Watch
The Undisputed Era vs Imperium (Jan 25th, War of the World NXT vs NXT UK)
Wargames: The Undisputed Era vs Pat McAfee, Danny Burch & Oney Lorcan & Pete Dunne (December 6th, NXT Takeover Wargames IV)
Adam Cole vs Tomasso Ciampa (February 16th, NXT Takeover: Portland)

Kenny Omega
We know that Kenny's the Best Bout Machine and can have a classic with nearly anyone, but even without an audience he continued to evolve and become a massive prick that everyone wants to beat while still managing to put over people on the undercard. His tags with Hangman are all-timers, but you could still see flashes of The Cleaner to come with matches against Alan Angles (Who is now super over in the Dark Order) along with putting on some great matches this year in AAA. Omega is THE guy you want to elevate the rest of your roster, and 2021 might be the year we see Kenny hit his peak as the top wrestler until his feud with Hangman.

What to Watch
Kenny Omega & Adam Page vs Lucha Bros (February 19th, AEW Dynamite)
Best of 3 Falls: Kenny Omega vs Pac (February 26th AEW Dynamite)
Kenny Omega vs Laredo Kid (December 12th, AAA: Triplemania XXVIII)

Yuka Sakazaki
TJPW might be on the smaller side, but her small appearances in AEW in 2019 really stepped her game up. I genuinely believe she's going to be one of the best Joshi wrestlers of all time. Her handful of appearances in 2019 made her an instant fan favorite but her work in her home promotion really seals the deal. I think she can be what Kenny Omega is to Joshi wrestling because she's so charismatic, hard working, able to work ANY style, and has this infinite cardio that puts her miles past her peers. She had a wardrobe malfunction in one of TJPW's biggest shows of the year and effortlessly transitioned the accident it into a submission move against her opponent without getting flustered or skipping a beat, and you'd barely know it happened at all because that's how crisp she was.

What to Watch
Yuka Sakazaki vs Mizuki (November 7th, TJPW Wrestle Princess)
Yuka Sakazaki vs Miyu Yamashita (January 4th, TJPW Tokyo Joshi Pro '20)
Yuka Sakazaki vs Yuki Aino (July 23rd, TJPW Brand New Wrestling 4)

Kyle O'Reilly
Outside of champions, Kyle is the Ace of 2020 in mainstream wrestling. I don't think he's dipped below a 4 star match all year, and he showed up out of nowhere to put on NXT's best match of 2020 against Finn Balor, first universal champ and reigning NXT champion. He isn't world title material, he won't carry a company, but O'Reilly is the guy every company needs to elevate the top of your card. He's in the class of Ishii and Daniel Bryan in the last decade as people who are guaranteed to push your main eventers to the best vanilla wrestling match of their careers.

Matches to watch
Kyle O'Reilly vs Finn Balor (October 4th, NXT: Takeover 31)
ReDragon vs Matt Riddle & Pete Dunne (February 16th, NXT: Takeover Portland)
Kyle O'Reilly vs Bronson Reed vs Kushida vs Camerson Grimes vs Timothy Thatcher (September 23rd, NXT TV)

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I can all but guarantee you I'll be the only one with multiple main roster WWE performers on his list, but whatever, eat me

1. Jon loving Moxley

Seriously, y'all expected me to put anyone else at #1? The best part is though, everyone is seeing now what I insisted for years: Mox is an Ace-level guy. Full tool player. Not as guaranteed to have masterclass matches as some of the rest on this list, but when you combine it with his promo work and overall presentation, no one else had a better year IMO. Truly incredible.

2. Kenny Omega

I had literally zero problem with him taking the title off Mox and I said that for months before it happened. What's that tell you?

3. Roman Reigns

This is going to be controversial as gently caress as a top 3 pick but seriously if WWE had done this with Roman after, say, he beat Taker, holy poo poo I can't imagine how much better shape the company would be in. Roman is honest to God doing incredible work right now and I understand people not watching WWE, but that's one thing y'all are seriously missing out on.

4. Hiromu Takahashi

This man is insane, terrifying, awesome to watch, and for me personally, more compelling to watch than pretty much anyone in NJPW's heavyweight division right now.

5. Hangman Adam Page

Seriously awesome, and I still kinda hope he took out Mox because I want to see that feud.

6. Drew McIntyre

Much like with Roman, if the rest of WWE was booked as well as Drew is, the company would be way, way better off. Really good top face champ, WWE or otherwise.

7. Orange Cassidy

Seriously, Orange loving owns. No two ways about it.

8. Finn Balor

Yep, I think all three of WWE's top champ picks are Very Good (well, four, WALTER owns too). It's the rest of the company that sucks poo poo.

9. Will Ospreay

I know he's a gigantic shitlord, but damned if I don't enjoy watching him wrestle a LOT.

10. "The Fiend" Bray Wyatt

I am alone in this but I unironically, unapologetically love the straight up over the top Wrestling poo poo that is The Fiend. Sorry not sorry!

Honorable Mentions:

SHO
Shingo Takagi
Minoru Suzuki
MJF
Jungle Boy
Keith Lee
WALTER
Adam Cole
Kyle O' Reilly
Kazuchika Okada
Jay White
Kota Ibushi
Kevin Owens
Sami Zayn

Standalone Honorary Spot for Brodie Da Gawd:

Brodie Lee

Feel free to tell me my list sucks poo poo I guess

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

SG Bamboo posted:

Just a note for future lists, two different wrestlers go by Asuka so make sure you denote which one you're selecting. On the first page, 3 of us chose Veny, 2 chose Kana, and EMF didn't specify but assuming they meant the WWE wrestler
That too, although both Asuka's rule. ASUKA/Veny (Japan) is a rookie on her way to being one of the best of the 2020's while Asuka/Kana (WWE) is in her twilight years shattering the glass ceiling in the WWE by being in a small group of non US/Canadians to ever reach the top of the card.

Asuka (WWE)'s peers are who, Eddie, Rey Mysterio, Kevin Owens, and Andre The Giant as people who's primary language wasn't English but were at the main event?

e: After years of everyone begging Foochs to watch anything but WWE for years, I'm so glad that he's become a wrestling fan all over again

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Thanlis posted:

I’m glad it’s favorites so that I don’t have to agonize about who’s best.

This was me too, outside of Nakajima i'm not sure who on my list would be a lock for a top 10 best wrestlers this year

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Feel free to tell me my list sucks poo poo I guess

imo your only miss is bray and that's just because he hasn't been allowed to be fun in matches outside of the cena wrestlemania fever dream.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've added in every list posted so far to the spreadsheet, some stats/updates coming soon.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Procrastinator posted:

imo your only miss is bray and that's just because he hasn't been allowed to be fun in matches outside of the cena wrestlemania fever dream.

I thought the Inferno Match was actually really good. They did cool stuff with the lack of crowd allowing for more spacing with the fire, and IDGAF what anyone says, an undeterred, LITERALLY ON FIRE Bray Wyatt charging into an RKO might be one of the coolest individual spots I've seen in wrestling in years, in any promotion.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
1. Mox. He's a cool badass who wins a lot. What's not to like.
2. Kenny Omega. See above except he's a bad guy! Still not gonna watch Impact though sorry.
3. ZSJ. For the promos alone, the great matches are a bonus.
4. Hiroshi Tanahashi. GO ACE
5. Hangman 'Adam' Page. For a tag-team wrestler he's pretty good.
6. Minoru Suzuki. One of the few guys who makes pro wrestling feel real.
7. Naito. I think he's done a great job as champ in trying times and his match at Jingu was a highlight of the year for me. I'm a Naitailure now and I love to wrap it up.
8. Eddie Kingston. Not the world's greatest worker but maybe the world's best promo right now. Very genuine in everything he does.
9. Cody Rhodes. Something something. I really liked his open challenge series and I think leaves it all out there whether its a match or a promo or anything.
10. Mr Brodie Lee. RIP. His squash and subsequent rematch with Cody were great not to mention all the BTE stuff.

It's a shame there's no women on this list. I wish AEW's women division was better (I think it will get better) and I don't watch WWE anymore.

Seams fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jan 2, 2021

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Sorry for the lack of NJPW. I only watched a couple of shows this year

1. Jon Moxley- Though he probably isn't the best in-ring guy, he plays incredibly well to his strengths as a brawler and indestructible tough guy. He's a tremendous character and the best promo in the world imo.

2. Kenny Omega- The best in-ring in my opinion though I say that as someone who hasn't consumed much outside of AEW this year. It's rare for me to remember moments in matches months afterwards but Kenny has a way of making it happen

3. Adam Page- The main character in AEW's most impressive story over the last year. Excellent character work and matches and was the highlight of the Stadium Stampede

4. Rey Fenix- Absolutely jaw-dropping offense. It feels like every time I watch a match of his, there are 5 things I've never seen before

5. Thunder Rosa- Standout female wrestler this year for me. Great offensive moveset and seems a step ahead of pretty much all of her opponents except for maybe Deeb.

6. Brodie Lee- Absolutely the best character this year and his passing is a huge loss for everybody. Performed a miracle by elevating the Dark Order from their 2019 doldrums and was the centrepiece of the greatest segment in Dynamite history. Also had some brilliant matches including the best world title match in AEW so far against Mox.

7. John Silver- Probably the most enjoyable wrestler to watch because of his crazy combo attacks. Also coming into his own as a great character across both Dynamite and BTE

8. Dax Harwood- Love watching this guy a ton. Everything he does has a great snap to it. The better half (not by much mind you) of the best tag team in the world

9. Ricky Starks- The real breakout star of the company imo. Amazing promo and character work and good in the ring as well

10. AZM- Probably nobody else will nominate her but I've been watching a bunch of her matches recently with my newly acquired Stardom subscription and I think she's fantastic.

Edit: It was probably intuitive but I added numbers for clarity

Crapple! fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jan 2, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A few stats for the first day (not counting Seams and Crapple!'s entries):

- 35 goons have posted their lists.
- 128 wrestlers have been submitted so far.
- The breakdown by gender is 90 male wrestlers, 38 female.
- The average age of the wrestlers selected so far is 33 - wrestlers picked so far who are at that age are: Angelico, Brandon Cutler, Bray Wyatt, Chris Dickinson, Evil Uno, Jeff Cobb, Saki Akai, Trent? and Zack Sabre Jr.
- I do not have ages for: Abadon, Cara Noir, Danhausen, Leyla Hirsch, Lulu Pencil, THE HOODFOOT or Viktor Tykki.
- 22 promotions have been specified so far, with a 23rd catch-all "other" for those with no clear/apparent "home" promotion.
- With 37 distinct wrestlers, AEW is the most selected promotion so far. Next is New Japan, then WWE (excluding NXT), with TJPW and Stardom both sharing 4th place (not counting "Other").
- So far only two wrestlers have topped 100 points in the list, with the third place position on 87 points.
- There are 4 female wrestlers in the Top 20.
- The highest ranked female wrestler so far is Yuka Sakazaki, in 12th place on 41 points.
- The breakdown by promotion for the Top 20 is: AEW: 11 | NJPW: 6 | TJPW: 1 | Gatoh Move: 1 | NWA: 1
- Mr. Brodie Lee and John Silver are both in the Top 10, and appropriately enough, on equal points :3:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 2, 2021

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alright maybe I'll do write-ups for everybody later maybe I won't. I just wanted to get these in.
(I watch AEW exclusively just to clarify)

1) Kenny Omega
2) Adam Page
3) Nick Jackson
4) Matt Jackson (I'm an Elite mark. Fite me)
5) Jungle Boy: "Ricky Steamboat" is Jungle Boy's floor. If he can cultivate a personality his ceiling is unimaginable. The only thing stopping him will be the limits of human endeavor.
6) Hikaru Shida
7) Nyla Rose
8) Orange Cassidy
9) John Silver: Horrifically miscast as a heel. Almost unprecedented babyface fire.
10) Cody Rhodes: I still love this self-aware, self-indulgent nerd in a 3 piece suit (even if I still think he doesn't need to be on every drat Dynamite). HHH has better taste in music though.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 2, 2021

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Big caveat to my list is that I only watch AEW with the occasional indie match on YouTube. From when I had a NJPW sub, I know guys like Shingo and Ishii would be high on my list if I watched them, but ah well. My list is based on who I am most excited to see on a show right now.

1. Kenny Omega. He’s the best bout machine, and every time he’s in the ring he puts on ridiculous performances. I don’t think he’s had anything approaching a bad match since AEW started, and since Dynamite started he’s been amazing. He does comedy spots, crazy hardcore matches with Joey and Moxley, put on one of the best tag matches I’ve seen, and is currently doing a weird territory wrestler champion thing that I am here for. My only issue with Kenny is that I’m never really going to root against him.

2. Adam Page. When Dynamite started who would have guessed that we’d all become invested in the most boring overpushed babyface in the company? Pre-covid the beer drinking in the crowds bit was just so relatable. Post covid the spiral into alcoholism was sadly also relatable, and it was genuinely good storytelling as his partnership with Omega collapsed. The tournament and their first meeting was sooner than I expected but I’m very excited to see where they take Hangman next, and how he eventually overcomes his demons (hopefully with the help of some creepy friends).

3. Nick Jackson. Best hot tag in the business, and with his brother part of the best tag matches in AEW. The ladder match, the bout with Cowboy Bebop, and the FTR match which ended up being just amazing in-ring storytelling. The way the young bucks seem to now be using their championship to put the shine on younger teams is also really great, and I’m sure it’ll lead to some incredible matches. Nick gets the top nod of the two bucks because unlike his brother, who was only in one of the best singles matches since dynamite started (the BTE brothers match), Nick also had an absolute banger against Fenix.

4. MJF. My problem with Kenny as a heel is that he’s just so good that I never want him to be anywhere but at the top. MJF, despite proving in his match with Jungle Boy at DoN20 that he is also a really good wrestler, does not present that problem to me. As he proved with -1, MJF is just the worst. Between never breaking kayfabe, bringing the heeling into his wrestling in a major way (why do moves the crowd wants?), and just constantly pushing the envelope with his attitude while also always getting his comeuppance, he just makes me want to watch.

5. Matt Jackson. Everything I said about Nick except he didn’t have the singles match with Fenix. I think I like Matt’s wrestling a tiny bit more though. He plays the rear end in a top hat in-ring very well.

6. Nyla Rose. Women doing power moves loving rules. Like Kenny and the Bucks, Nyla has been in all the best women’s matches. Her matches with Riho were superb and her no rules match with Shida was one of the best on a very good card. The only issue with Nyla is the booking keeping her off my tv, and Vicky. I was open to Vicky being with her but it’s been months and nothing has come of it, Nyla has just faded more into the background. It sucks, because she didn’t really need a manager anyway, her promos were great.

7. Sammy Guevara. Amazing flippy wrestler with some cool power spots (that absurd mid match squat), Sammy is up here mainly because the vlog lets him really show his personality, and it makes me want to see more. His match with Darby at Revolution was wrestling on speed, and the whole run up to DoN20 in the summer was crazy. Since his well warranted time off with the company in the summer he’s really cooled down, but I circle his matches to pay close attention to.

8. Eddie Kingston. Eddie was the standout in the very limited NWA I watched when that show first hit YouTube. But he’s an overweight guy in his late 30s who can’t really do the cool things I associate with AEW so he doesn’t fit there. Or so I thought. I love Eddie. Like MJF, his wrestling fits his personality, which elevates a style that would otherwise not really interest me, but unlike MJF Eddie seems genuine. Every promo is “in character” but feels like it’s also got a core of truth to it, and it’s just really cool to see and so easy to become invested in the story as a result. His feud with Mox was the brightest burning story on Dynamite.

9. Brandon Cutler. I knew that I didn’t understand wrestling booking when I saw an early AEW match between Brandon and Shawn Spears, and Brandon was presented as the jobber. Amazing shape, great flippy moves, has actual personality in the ring, and deceptively big. His feud with Peter Avalon was must watch tv and my favorite AEW feud of the year. I want him to succeed on tv. He needs to lose the rpg gimmick though.

The tenth spot could be just about anyone, but I’m going to give it to someone who would have probably been a lot higher if they hadn’t been injured this year.

10. Kris Statlander. Kris is my favorite female wrestler, it really sucks that she injured her knee. I don’t care about her alien gimmick, I just think she’s an awesome wrestler. Hopefully she comes back strong in the new year.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Sandman, please update your list as Sting didn't have any matches in 2020. Otherwise I'll have to drop him off and push The Fiend up into your 9th place instead.

Well if it was anyone else I’d now have to fist fight them, but since I respect you Booker Man (and assuming it’s not too late) I will change my 9th place pick to... Otis (WWE, 29)

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I don't feel like I've seen enough NJPW or WWE stuff to really add them to this list so apologies for an all AEW list.

1) Kenny Omega - When I think back on most of my favourite matches from this year pretty much all of them involved Kenny Omega in some way shape or form and he's also a key part of stories that I am excited to see pay off in 2021. The man seems physically incapable of having a bad match and whilst I fully admit to being a massive mark Kenny is also one of the key things that got me back into wrestling and this year hasn't hurt my perception of The Best Bout Machine at all. He seemed like the only real option to dethrone Moxley.

2) Jon Moxley - His title reign really helped to steady the ship during an awkward year and managing to spin compelling rivalries from thin air as and when it was needed managed to keep AEW ticking over whilst some key performers were unable to attend. One of the few wrestlers I just really like to hear talk, he has a gift for making me laugh whilst also being concerned that he's about to brutally murder absolutely everyone. A great champion and whatever they have him do next will almost certainly be compelling because it's Mox.

3) Hangman Adam Page - The Anxious Millennial Cowboy is the most relatable character I've seen in wrestling, honestly he's more relatable than a lot of characters I see in other forms of media as well. The story build throughout 2020 is going to lead to an outrageous payoff in 2021 and hopefully by then we can have crowds back because some stadium or other is going to erupt. An excellent performer who has put early stumbles well and truly behind them.

4) Trent - I feel bad leaving sexy Chuckie T off the list because the Best Friends worked their collective rear end off during the early pandemic shows. Trent is just the absolute man though and I am probably going to move him around a bunch before I hit "post" because he in general, and the street fight in particular, was superb. (He got moved up twice for people who are curious)

5) Orange Cassidy - I think he's great. The Jericho thing helped to elevate him as a performer and whilst I understand the talk of him becoming over exposed I think AEW has done a good job of working him really well. He's almost certainly getting fed into the Kenny Omega shaped wood chipper sometime soon as well and I can't believe that the guy I saw dive off the top rope with his hands in his pockets is a headline level talent, but here we are.

6) Brodie Lee - He would've made the list anyway because from the second he signed he felt like a major player and a huge deal. A great big man with a terrifying aura that helped to do a lot of the heavy lifting when it came to course correcting the Dark Order.

7) MJF - There is so much potential here, and with some promo refinement could be an absolute world beating heel. There is so much to hate about him and he plays the role perfectly. Looking forward to seeing his career progression.

8) Britt Baker - Despite the injury I think Britt has been a stand out. Her in ring work is fine but her characterisation is something else. I've enjoyed pretty much every angle she has been a part of and I kind of hope they give her the belt sooner rather than later. No offence Shida, please don't knee my face off.

9) Cody Rhodes - Gets a lot of complaints and negativity but his TNT run really helped to elevate the belt, he put on some amazing matches and brought some interesting new talent into AEW.

10) Nick Jackson - Another entry that's a single person from a tag team and to be honest this could've gone either way. Nick Jackson is just so smooth in everything he does in the ring that I had to go with him.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Hey Jru, you should post a tally of how many people apologized for only watching AEW/not watching NJPW/etc by the end of this too.

Not a callout post i just noticed it and laughed.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 2, 2021

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

honestly what this is suggesting to me is that AEW brought a shitload of people back to wrestling. Which is actually pretty awesome.

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

SamuraiFoochs posted:

3. Roman Reigns

This is going to be controversial as gently caress as a top 3 pick but seriously if WWE had done this with Roman after, say, he beat Taker, holy poo poo I can't imagine how much better shape the company would be in. Roman is honest to God doing incredible work right now and I understand people not watching WWE, but that's one thing y'all are seriously missing out on.

I stopped watching WWE after WM so I haven't seen a TON of his recent heel work but what I have seen makes him actually seem like a scary heel. So good on him for finally getting a role he can kick rear end in in the post-SHIELD world.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

SamuraiFoochs posted:

3. Roman Reigns

Roman hasn't had a bad segment since returning. He's turned his cousins into another must-see act. He's a breath of fresh air for Owens, and will do the same for Bryan. WWE main roster is loving atrocious 95 percent of the time lately, but Roman and Paul are crushing it. If they started this version of the character years ago, a lot of things might be different. Plenty of jumping off points for it, too. Could have started it the day after mania in Dallas. Could have started it during the build, or after the taker match at 33. He'd be a substantially bigger star now than he ever was after the fans turned him babyface again.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
1. Moxley
2. Eddie Kingston
3. Roman Reigns
4. Hiromu
5. Ibushi
6. Ishii
7. Adam Page
8. SANADA
9. MJF
10. Cody

HM - Jericho, Kenny, Okada, Naito, Tanahashi - good years, but all really underwhelmed me compared to their ceilings

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Cutting this list down to just ten wrestlers was incredibly hard and meant having to take out a bunch of people who really deserve credit so before I get into the main list I'm going to throw out a quite frankly ridiculous number of HMs because every time I think I'm done I think of three more people I want to talk about.

I'm so sorry, everyone.

Honourable Mentions

Jon Moxley: He absolutely proved this year that he can be and is a company Ace. He delivered on the mic, he delivered in the ring and he did every single thing that could have been asked from him and more. He's winning this poll and it's completely deserved. If I was voting on the ten best wrestlers of 2020 he'd be right up at the top, it's just that I have emotional attachments that I cannot cast aside. Sorry Mox.

Kenny Omega: One of the incredible things about AEW is they have three guys who can make legit claims to being the company Ace. Despite accusations of under delivering on expectations Kenny still had an incredible year in 2020. His tag team with Hangman Page was a consistent highlight in the ring and Kenny played his role in the messy interpersonal dynamics in the Elite to perfection. He was also the key lynchpin in maintaining Dynamite during the worst parts of the COVID lockdown and while those matches have faded from memory in the grand scheme of things they were vital at the time in keeping things going. With the AEW title in hand, a new heel persona and a presence spanning multiple companies I fully expect that by the end of 2021 he will have restablished himself as the best in the world today.

Orange Cassidy: There were points during this year where OC would have been a contender for my top 5. At the heights of the PAC match and the Jericho feud I was in love with the guy and don't get me wrong, just because he's not in my top 10 this doesn't mean I've gone off him by any means. The thing is OC is an incredibly tricky character to get the balance right with and while I wouldn't say he's been overexposed exactly I do think AEW haven't quite been sure how to fit him into things following the end of the Jericho feud. Even so if we were going beyond top 10 lists he'd be a lock for one of my next spots and all it would take to push him back up there is the right story at the right time.

Mr. Brodie Lee: Yeah, I feel guilty about this exclusion. I never saw any Brodie's work on the indies before signing with WWE. My first experience of him was his main roster debut with the Wyatt Family and while it was clear that he had potential to be more than WWE were making of him I didn't quite buy in to the idea that Brodie could be a legit top guy. Then he came to AEW and proved me completely wrong. The destruction of Cody Rhodes is going to be one of the most memorable moments in AEW history and in the weeks that followed Brodie proved that he was undeniably main event calibre. Also Jon Huber was by all accounts the kindest man behind the curtain as well. That we were only just starting to see him reach the limits of his potential makes it all the sadder that he was taken from us so soon. The reason he's not in my top 10 is because he was never “my guy” but I absolutely recognise what he achieved in 2020. Oh, and he also played a major role in establishing his stable as a major force. In fact...

The Dark Order: I had already #JoinedDarkOrder following their adverts on Dynamite in 2019 but there's no denying that the entire faction picked up once Brodie joined them. Every single member has come on in leaps and bounds over the last 12 months with the exception of Stu but that's because he was always great. Uno's tweaked his look really well and is so good at that middle manager role, Silver and Reynolds have proven to be a great tandem both in the ring and in skits, Colt's connection to the group has given his character the bite it needed since joining AEW and then in Vance, Angels and Anna they've picked up a trio of top notch rookies with bags of potential. I love all of them, I love that they all come out together for any member's matches because they are good group of friends that support and love each other, they're great in any combination and they've been the highlight of BTE as well. Now if they could just help get 10 off the powdered sugar...

Tay Conti: Like everyone I wrote Tay off when she was in NXT. She never looked comfortable in the ring, she never showed much character and she was never given a chance to be more than a jobber. But from the moment she stepped into AEW in the women's tag team cup she has felt like a star in the making. Yes, she is still incredibly raw and has a lot to work on but we're already seeing her improve and she brings a unique style to the women's division. Plus her friendship with Anna Jay feels so genuine and heartfelt that it is a joy to see them on screen together. I was delighted when AEW announced she was signed and I look forward to watching her growth in a company that will actually nurture her talent.

Britt Baker: What a difference a year makes. After AEW tried so hard to make her work as a face last year with zero success they then turned her heel and helped her unleash the Karen energies within. Britt is just a fantastic natural heel that gets to straddle the line between comedic laughs and vicious aggression to the point she's just as believable screaming at Reba (never Rebel, always Reba) to move the Roll Model as she is tearing out the tooth of a Japanese genie. While she's not the best in the ring she has improved this year and even if she never becomes a great worker she has the personality to be a star in the division. Even when she was out for months from injury she still remained a vital part of the show.

Ricky Starks: Speaking of people with personality, Ricky Starks just oozes it out of every pore. When he came into AEW for that match with Cody I thought he was perfectly fine but I wasn't wowed and I didn't quite get him as a top prospect. However turning him heel and pairing him up with Taz has been the perfect fit for him. Ricky just carries himself like a star, he's got the looks and he's got the swagger that just makes him pop off the screen. Also the way Taz gives him lots of speaking time despite already being a great mouthpiece makes all of Ricky's words more important. I can't wait to see where this guy goes next.

Tomohiro Ishii: Gonna switch gears now and head across the ocean to Japan. There is no denying Ishii's ability as a wrestler. He is the most reliable in-ring performer in all of New Japan and every time he steps between the ropes you know he's going to deliver. In 2020 once again he had a fantastic year delivering MOTYC after MOTYC with a wide variety of opponents. Unfortunately his whole gruff stoic warrior personality does nothing for me so while I love Ishii matches I find it very hard to love Ishii as a whole. That G1 match with Taichi slapped though.

Shingo Takagi: Take everything I just said about Ishii and you can apply all of that to Shingo as well. The guy is just a phenomenal wrestler and in a year where New Japan's booking has at times felt listless his work in the NEVER division has been a rock providing guaranteed match quality all year long. After years of the belt being hotshot around from pillar to post he has had a defining championship reign and given the belt a level of prestige it has never had before. In a lot of ways he's turned into a midcard version of Okada where he's virtually unbeatable and a lot of wrestlers are defined by their ongoing quest to beat him. I will always look forward to his matches even if I'm not necessarily going to be cheering for him in them.

Hiromu Takahashi: Man, I wish I loved Hiromu more than I do. Which isn't to say that I don't love him at all because the dude is just a bundle of joy to watch and also just happens to be one of the best wrestlers in the world. Whether it's five minute slap exchanges with Ryu Lee, running away from Toru Yano with scissors or screaming in time with EVIL's theme everything Hiromu does is just so watchable. I think the problem is much like with Moxley and Omega where I'm more drawn to wrestlers who are still fighting to reach the top rather than the ones who are already there.

Hiroshi Tanahashi: The Ace is dead. Long live the Ace. 2020 has not been kind to Tanahashi who spent about 75% of it getting his knees ripped off. It's clear that after twenty years of giving his all for New Japan that his body is finally failing him both in and out of kayfabe but the story of his downfall has been so compelling and emotionally devastating that I have to acknowledge it. There was the repeated bouts of insecurity in his tag team with Kota Ibushi, the underwhelming run of G1 results culminating in the shocking elimination by Hirooki Goto and then his complete failure to leave a mark in World Tag League. Tanahashi is having to confront the fact he's only human and so are the rest of us.

Jay White: This was the year where I felt like Jay really settled into his role as an established main eventer in New Japan. His absence during the first few months of COVID shows left a massive hole at the top of the card and EVIL's failed title run just made him look all the better in comparison. It helps that sometime around the end of 2019 Jay tightened up his ringwork and fleshed out his moveset to make him a match for anyone in the company but what really makes him stand out is the rampant douchebaggery which has just got all the worse under COVID conditions. Whether it's mocking the crowd's inability to chant for their heroes or laughing at them as he gets them to clap like performing seals he's just so watchable and so hateable and he's so great at showing rear end yet somehow coming out ahead in the long run. He's the perfect heel.

Toa Henare: Don't sleep on Toa Henare. The dude was all set for a breakout year in 2020 until COVID hit and he was gone from our screens for the next nine months but as soon as he returned for World Tag League where he was the standout worker it was clear that he had not missed a beat in the time away. Henare is the definition of intensity and just electric to watch in the ring. He's young, he's hungry and night after night he's giving his all to prove that he can be more than just a multiman tag guy. Here's hoping COVID doesn't derail his career for the second year in a row because all being well everyone will be talking about Henare by the end of 2021.

Go Shiozaki: The amount he's been talked up on the forum this year makes me wish I had the time to take on a third regular promotion and also the time to take on a fourth regular promotion because the third would be joshi.

Maki Itoh: My favourite wrestler who I have never seen wrestle a match.

Yuka Sakazaki: AYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY

Hana Kimura: If losing Brodie Lee at the age of 41 to lung disease was unfair then losing Hana Kimura at the age of 22 to suicide because she was cyberbullied by a bunch of shitheads was downright cruel. As I just mentioned I don't really have the time to commit to another wrestling promotion but if I did it would be STARDOM and I have dabbled with a couple of shows. And on the shows I have watched there was one woman that stood out instantly as a star and that was Hana. Coming in as someone with no knowledge of the roster she instantly connected with me with an energy that just leapt off the screen. To lose so much potential from this world because reality TV producers wanted to create manufactured drama is a crime and just the cherry on the sundae of poo poo that has been 2020.

Welp, that was way more writing than I intended to do. Oh well, now I can finally start talking about my top 10. It's ok, I'm sure I'll be able to keep it brief.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FElUJgMcaw
10. PAC
(AEW, 34)

It was Joni Mitchell who first sang 'you don't know what you got till it's gone'. That's a fair summary of where my head was at with PAC before COVID hit. He was very clearly one of the best on the AEW roster and a vital part of their shows but I didn't have him on a list of people that I absolutely needed to see on my television. Sure, the matches with Kenny Omega and Orange Cassidy were fantastic and the formation of TRIÁNGULO DE LA MUERTE was amazing but I didn't realise how much I needed him in my life. Then COVID hit and all of a sudden there was a Bastard-shaped hole in my favourite wrestling show that no one else could fill. Fast forward nine months and PAC's surprise return at the end of the post-PPV Dynamite was hands down my biggest single markout moment of the year and one that caught even me by surprise. So even though he's barely been around in 2020 I still have to include him in my top 10 because he's a bastard and deep in my heart so am I.

Top Match: vs. Kenny Omega (AEW Dynamite, 26/02)

---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUSfSEb2hxs
9. EL DESPERADO
(NJPW, 37)

Suzuki-gun is Ichiban. I am naturally disposed to love all of these good dirtbags who enjoy beating the piss out of others together so I've always had a base level of affection for Despy but this is the year where he really won me over. Up till now he's always been a bit stifled by being stuck in the tag division with Kanemaru but this year thanks to COVID he had to step up as a singles guy and he showed up in a major way. The heavyweight matches with Ishii and Shingo were a great sign of things to come but it was the Best of Super Juniors tournament where he really got to shine culminating in one of the best matches of the year against Hiromu in the final including that loving spot. And seriously, Despy is just the coolest dude alive. Just look at him, just loving look at him. He's just so loving cool.

Top Match: vs. Hiromu Takahashi (NJPW World Tag League/Best of Super Juniors Final, 11/12)

---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPw3SZjmdJw
8. RIHO
(AEW/STARDOM, 22)

Ok look, I've not actually seen a Riho match in like ten months now but like hell was I not including a woman in my top ten and she's still been working STARDOM all year so screw you, I do what I want. But there's a reason Riho gets this spot despite being off my screen for so long and that's because even with all the development of AEW's women's division since COVID hit there is still no woman on the roster that can measure up to the impact Riho made while she was there. Despite her age she was a general in the ring and despite not speaking a word of English she forged an instant connection with the fans. Riho can convey more emotion and language in one expression than most can in a five minute promo. She's also a natural underdog and a warm personality that makes the world feel like a better place. She's still the biggest female star AEW has and whenever it is she's able to make her return the roof is going to explode.

Top Match: vs. Nyla Rose (AEW Dynamite, 12/02)

---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9nuECbekx4
7. SAMMY GUEVARA
(AEW, 27)

Ugh, ok this one's a complicated one. If you'd asked me during the first six months of the year I would have said Sammy is my #1 fave in all of wrestling. He is so very talented both as a wrestler in the ring and as an entertainer outside of it and he's got that reckless tendency to take all the dumb bumps that he can find. Then out came the comments on Sasha Banks and the #SpeakingOut allegation and obviously he dropped in my estimation like a stone. To his credit his handling of the Sasha Banks comments set an example to the industry at a time when lots of lovely people were giving really lovely responses and it felt like there was a legitimate desire to change and grow as a person. Then he came back from his suspension a bit sooner than I would have liked (not his fault) all so he could have long feud with Matt Hardy that was pretty much cursed (also not his fault) and it almost felt like he was stalling out. Luckily for him things have turned around in the last couple of months with the slow-burning MJF storyline that has allowed him to spark up as babyface and looks like it's going to properly establish him as a big deal which has done enough to bring him back into my favour. Even so I'm still really conflicted about Sammy, I so want to love the guy but I still fear things are going to turn sour. He has the potential to my fave for years and years but right now I can't put him any higher than this.

Top Match: vs. Darby Allin (AEW Revolution, 29/02)

---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRtv1efE2Gs
6. EDDIE KINGSTON
(AEW, 39)

I've been aware of Eddie Kingston since pretty much when I first started posting in PSP back in 2011 but this year was the first time I ever actually saw him on my screen and after just a few months he already feels like such an essential part of the wrestling universe. Eddie is just so great and I can't believe that this guy was left to hustle it in the indies for sixteen years but then that's such a vital facet of his character that I can't imagine things going any other way. This is someone who has given his all to this business and wears those scars on his sleeve for all to see. He is the greatest talker in this industry bar none, definitely in 2020 and perhaps maybe ever. That one promo segment with Mox (you know the one) was good enough to be cut from a prestige TV show like the Wire or the Shield. Every word he speaks carries a level of authenticity that I've never seen before and his ability to instantly switch from face to heel is exceptional. There is nothing I want from wrestling more than to see Eddie get a gold watch run with the AEW title belt, I already know I would cry buckets.

Top Match: vs. Jon Moxley (AEW Full Gear, 07/11)

---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHmAv3FVHbU
5. MINORU SUZUKI
(NJPW, 52)

Suzuki-gun Is Ichiban. I cherish my first 32 years on this earth because those are the years that I lived in ignorance of the fact that one day my life would end when Minoru Suzuki tracked me down and murdered me. Ever since learning this fact I have been a hollow shell of my former self but I have also been able to enjoy Minoru Suzuki murder a whole bunch of other people and for that I am blessed. After looking like he was ready to wind down in 2019 MiSu came back in a major way this year with one of the best match resumés of anyone. It is goddam ridiculous how this man is able to still be so good in his 50s while men ten years younger than him are already winding down. The only explanation is that Minoru Suzuki is a murder golem powered by hate and I doubt that he would argue with this premise. I still think about how he managed to make taking off a tracksuit look like the coolest thing in the world at Wrestle Kingdom. Did I mention that Suzuki-gun are just really loving cool? The only thing that could have made Suzuki's 2020 better is if crowds had been able to sing KAZE NI NARE.

Top Match: vs. Jon Moxley (NJPW The New Beginning in Osaka, 09/02)

---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WHx_ZRK5xQ
4. HANGMAN PAGE
(AEW, 29)

Jesus, I don't know if I even have the words to sum up Adam Page's journey over the last year. Pro wrestling has always existed as a spectacle, a larger than life form of entertainment filled with muscly action heroes and gravity-defying aerialists and supernatural zombies. What Hangman has done over the course of Dynamite's short run is taken wrestling somewhere never seen before, he has made it real. Depressingly, heartbreakingly real. Hangman's long-running struggles with anxiety, alcoholism and his own insecurities have hit home hard in ways that make my heart hurt. There are things he has said and conversations he has had which have echoed word for word things I've said to my friends or my friends have said to me. Hangman has done what no one has done since Steve Austin which is speak to an entire generation but where Austin tapped into Gen X's 'gently caress everything and gently caress you' nihilism Hangman has captured the feeling of failure and abandonment that is so common to us Millenials. I don't even care about whether he wins matches or becomes AEW champion even though I trust that these things will happen in time. I just want Hangman to be happy and to have friends that love him. I really hope that in the Dark Order he has found that. Please give Adam a hug.

Top Match: w/ Kenny Omega vs. The Young Bucks (AEW Revolution, 29/12)

---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfqULGgp_Ds
3. ZACK SABRE JR.
(NJPW, 33)

Suzuki-gun IS Ichiban. I've been in love with Zack Sabre Jr. aka. Submission Master aka. ZSJ aka. The Windy Man aka. The Long Mover from the moment I first heard him take the piss out of Boris Johnson in a backstage interview and my love has not wavered ever since. 2020 has been a quiet year for ZSJ which is weird to say when he's been a champion for over six months, played a major role in revitalising New Japan's tag scene and still found time to score 10 points in the G1 but that's just the level he's playing at. Even though he's taken the backseat role to his partner in Dangerous Tekkers he's still delivered a bunch of really good matches and continues to be a must-watch promo. Backstage highlights this year include calling Jon Moxley 'darling' and marvelling at YOSHI-HASHI pulling his finger out thanks to a global pandemic. He's also had a chance to veer a bit more tweener this year which has been great because I just can't root against my socialist octopus boy. The direction Tekkers are going in has me so excited to see what 2021 has in store for him.

Top Match: vs. Will Ospreay (RevPro High Stakes, 14/02)

---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sztoAtX3pjs
2. TAICHI
(NJPW, 40)

SUZUKI-GUN IS ICHIBAN. As one of the early Taichi adopters I've always been a believer in the Holy Emperor as a good worker but holy poo poo in 2020 Taichi stepped things up a gear to a level even I didn't see coming. It seems like for every bit of trust New Japan puts in him he works a little more harder earning even more trust so he works even more harder and just creating this positive feedback loop which resulted in him being the standout worker in the company this year. You can stick your Shingos and your Ishiis, no one had a better run in 2020 than Taichi. He had a banger of a feud with Okada pre-COVID, he destroyed Tanahashi and Ibushi back to back in the New Japan Cup, he turned the tag division into appointment viewing over the summer and then he put in the best G1 out of anyone with nothing but MOTYCs (ok except Yujiro but he doesn't count). At the age of 40 Taichi has established himself as a credible force in New Japan and one of the company's most important upper-midcarders. With huge potential circling around his faction's direction in 2021 it seems like things are just getting better and better for Taichi and that's for one reason and one reason only. Because...

SUZUKI-GUN

IS

ICHIBAN

:hai::hai::hai:

Top Match: vs. Tomohiro Ishii (NJPW G1 Climax Night 13, 10/10)

---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEFL_IrCLhM
1. SANADA
(NJPW, 32)

Ok look, I know that the forum has flipped hard on SANADA in the last year and honestly? For a lot of 2020 I thought I'd soured on him too but as soon as the G1 cards were announced and it was clear that SANADA was having a big tournament I was hooked right back in. Is the Skull End kinda lovely? Yes. Is he a vacuous himbo who spends way too much time on his hair? Also yes. But at the end of the day I don't care about the criticisms. SANADA was my guy from almost the moment I started watching New Japan and he's still my guy today. I love his fluidity in the ring, I love his ability to do the most amazingly athletic things while looking like he's on afternoon stroll, it, I love how he no-sells the backstage interviews, I love that for all his attempts to be aloof and mysterious that he's a big doofy babyface on the inside and he can't really hide it, I love that his show-closing firefly thing is now a gift that he's giving to the fans, I love that he showed up to support his LIJ bro at Power Struggle when he wasn't even booked, I love that he's finally had enough of his ex-friend's bullshit and snapped, I love everything about this man and I have every faith that he will succeed. For all that we joke about him being a choke artist SANADA's career trajectory is way closer to a Tanahashi than a Goto and with the Ace rapidly falling down the card there's going to be a big babyface hole that SANADA has been primed to step into. And if you doubt then you don't realise how over this dude is in Japan cause er, dude is really loving over.

Top Match: vs. Kota Ibushi (NJPW G1 Climax Final, 18/10)

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

10. Go Shiozaki

I had no idea who he was until this year, but apparently I was really missing out!

9. Nick Gage

The nuclear heat generated during his match with RSP was really something to see. I want to see what AEW could do with him even in just one program.

8. Yuka Sakazaki

What can I say about Yuka Sakazaki?

7. Mr. Brodie Lee

I was sold on Brodie Lee as soon as he entered as the exalted one but I had no idea how great he and the rest of the dark order would become in such a short time.

6. Riho

Saw my first live Stardom show in Osaka this past January and got to do a meet and greet with Riho following the show. It was one of the most pleasant interactions I've ever had with a wrestler. Possibly because I was wearing her merch at the time!

I would also like to take this opportunity to break kayfabe and report that her English skills are pretty darn good!

5. Cody Rhodes

I'll just say it, the HHH comparisons are bullshit. Cody is awesome and the one misstep I think he had this year was the Lance Archer match not living up to its potential.

I also feel like his MJF feud has been a little forgotten these days even though it was amazing.

4. Hangman Page

Anxious millennial cowboy? Sign me up partner!

3. Kota Ibushi

His 2020 has been up and down since I did not like the booking of his tag team adventures with Tanahashi at all. As a singles wrestler he has been off the charts as usual however and in 2021 I truly hope he achieves his dream of becoming IWGP champ.

2. Jon Moxley

Nobody had a better all around 2020. On the mic and in the ring Moxley has been on fire.

1. Kenny Omega

The best bout machine may have taken his pedal off the gas a tiny bit in 2020 in-ring wise but the stories told were still top notch. Frankly the in-ring was fantastic as well just slightly below what we were used to.

That's all I got!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
loving wild considering where he was 6 months ago that not a single person has voted for Keith Lee

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
His cratering has been limitless.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity I love the gifs you included, I don't know why I'm always shocked at just how loving smooth ZSJ's transitions are.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

loving wild considering where he was 6 months ago that not a single person has voted for Keith Lee

Even though not listed as such, Keith was my top HM.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

Even wilder, not a single person has voted for last year's winner, Kazuchika Okada, yet :stare:

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

wait. was okada really that forgettable this year?

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

past wrestlekingdom he had no good feuds (mostly yujiro) and forgettable nj cup and g1 runs trying to get over a move lots of people dont care about. wrestlekingdom alone isnt enough to make these lists as far as I can see from people's explanations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TV Zombie posted:

wait. was okada really that forgettable this year?

He really struggled in the no-crowd shows, without the fans there he seemed surprisingly lost - it was actually kind of nice to see that somebody as otherwise perfect as him actually does have a "weakness", albeit one that would never be a factor in pro-wrestling 999/1000 times.

Once crowds started coming back he got better, but he was also super-focused on getting a really bad submission hold over which meant even his matches that were going well would suddenly crash to a screeching halt when he would put on the World Famous Money Clip. One of the only exceptions was his match against Hiromu Takahashi, where he added in a backbreaker element to the hold that made it look a lot more brutal. It didn't help that he had a seemingly endless series of matches against Yujiro Takahashi of all people.

I'm hoping once things get relatively back to normal he'll go back to excelling at the highest level once more - his match against Ospreay at Wrestle Kingdom is probably gonna be insanely good.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Mid-Life Crisis Okada seems like entirely my poo poo, but I just sort of fell off New Japan super hard.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Big Match Yuj said in a promo he couldn’t rise to Okada’s level but he could drag Okada down to his and hell, he was right

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

He deservedly took the year off.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
This was incredibly difficult

1. Adam Page - The best at doing emotions quietly

2. Eddie Kingston - The best at doing emotions loudly

3. Brodie Lee - The best hoss

4. ZSJ - The best at being a bastard (nobody tell the goblin I said that)

5. PAC - The best abs

6. Yuka Sakazaki - The best happy

7. Ricky Starks - The best all-rounder

8. Shingo Takagi - The best intensity

9. John Silver - The best hot sequences WOW what a white meat babyface this kid is

10. Marko Stunt - The best smol

HM: Miro - The best man

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Rarity posted:

SUZUKI-GUN

IS

ICHIBAN

:hai::hai::hai:

I reckon this is the one thing the entire forum can get behind. Best stable in the world, just a bunch of dickheads that love and support each other.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Penguin Patrol posted:

This was incredibly difficult

But in the end it was...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5Gnkv9RVdU&t=16s

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Okada has had, what, four or five legitimately great matches this year. And two of those were at WK, and as such might as well have taken place in some forgotten antediluvian age.

So given the competition I absolutely understand why he isn't rated very highly this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I can all but guarantee you I'll be the only one with multiple main roster WWE performers on his list, but whatever, eat me

If I watched WWE I think I'd agree with you on at least a couple of those.