Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Ten wrestlers sounds like a lot until you try and narrow them down. I primarily watch AEW content, so this list is limited in that regard.

1. Kenny Omega (37, AEW) Still the best bout machine.

2. Chuck Taylor (34, AEW) The most amusing member of The Best Friends, and has always been entertaining pre-AEW.

3. Ricky Starks (30, AEW) In the first Stroke Daddy match I ever saw, he took a bump through a flaming table for a broom. Been a fan ever since.

4. MJF (24, AEW) Every time he's on TV, I can't help be entertained.

5. Thunder Rosa (34, AEW/NWA) Can't wait to see more of her going forward, super fun character, superb worker.

6. Adam Page (29, AEW) Best character work in the company.

7. John Silver (29, AEW) Great in ring work, and fun segments on youtube.

8. Pac (34, AEW) His return was one of the few pops I've had all year.

9. Peter Avalon (31, AEW) PPA all day. Underrated worker, and very amusing character.

10. Tay Conti (25, AEW) Unique wrestling style, seems to get better every match.

HMs: Brodie Lee, Eddie Kingston, Evil Uno, Penta El Zero M, Danhausen

Edit: Corrected Starks age

Diplomat fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Diplomat posted:

Ten wrestlers sounds like a lot until you try and narrow them down.

Seriously, I had so many people who I thought,"Well I can't possibly NOT include them!" but then I also couldn't justify removing anybody else on my list. There's a LOT of great wrestlers out there, it rules.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
We're so spoiled for choice that I figured I'd just throw out whoever I could think of first and then after posting my list I realized I completely forgot about both Moxley and Naito.

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
1. Hangman Adam Page (29, AEW)

2. Ricky Starks (26, AEW)

3. Asuka (WWE, 39)

4. Sonya Deville (WWE, 27)

5. Hikaru Shida (AEW, 32)

6. Kenny Omega (37, AEW)

7. Britt Baker (AEW, 29)

8. Drew McIntyre (WWE, 35)

9. Brian Cage (AEW, 36)

10. Bayley (WWE, 31)

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

A note to everyone rightfully selecting Ricky Starks: Google is wrong about his age being 26, he’s actually 30 (or was at the time of recording of whatever podcast I listened to him on).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

A note to everyone rightfully selecting Ricky Starks: Google is wrong about his age being 26, he’s actually 30 (or was at the time of recording of whatever podcast I listened to him on).

Thank you, I've adjusted it on the spreadsheet :)

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I went with my gut and didn't think too hard about this!

1 - Hangman Adam Page, AEW
Hangman's story of "How strong can I be when my friends don't support me?" made him the number one pick for me. His constant struggle to live up to being a strong wrestler has probably been the best long running storyline of the year, and he probably has my MotY with Kenny vs The Bucks. Him being lost, realising how he doesn't actually belong with people he thought were his friends are such relatable storylines, especially when it's obvious to everyone but him that he's not just a good wrestler, but a good person. He edges out my number 2 pick for having the most consistently engaging story throughout wrestling. What a long way he's come since my first impression of him. Also the Buckshot Lariat makes no sense and I love it. Slingshot front flips makes everything stronger!

2 - Taichi, NJPW
Honestly, I find it difficult to separate my number 1 and number 2 for 2020. Both were absolutely incredible, even if they weren't really the top guys of their own promotions. In the past few years, Taichi has solidifed his character as "Strong wrestler that claims he's the best but probably deep down doesn't really believe it and so is quick to resort to shenanigans but at the same time, is secretly/blatantly hot blooded and wants to prove himself." He's the other side of the coin that Adam Page is, approaching it from a more desperate angle, and I love him all the more for it. He also had my favourite singles match of the year with Kota Ibushi, where he went gently caress You I Can Kick Just As Well You and the story of the match being Actually No I Can't, gently caress was incredible.

3 - Jon Moxley, AEW
AEW's rock solid heart of the main event proved to be an incredible champion, by being an unstoppable wrestler who was aware of his own mortality and planned for it. Yes, he can tank a lot of damage. Yes, he never gives up. That doesn't mean he can't be made to lose, or comes with no risks. Each of his championship matches had its own twists to it. Can't use finisher against a cheater? Outcheat him by using a finisher. Opponent is practically immune to damage? Gotta build up and practice how to choke people out? Fight a guy who is the embodiment of I Will Do Anything to Win? Give a choice between Lose or Just Flat Out Die.

4 - Minoru Suzuki, NJPW
He wasn't on my list and he texted me and so he's absolutely number 4 the number of death help please

5 - Brodie Lee, AEW
Always liked him in WWE, but he absolutely grew into his own in AEW. He's got an impressive moveset, he has impeccable character work, and he was charismatic enough to lead wrestling's most evilentertaining stable. Had three of the best singles championship matches of the year. If only he wasn't plagued by health issues. RIP Brodie Lee.

6 - Kenny Omega
Incredible worker. Great main eventer. Over the top ham.

7 - Orange Cassidy, AEW
One of my favourite gimmicks. I find it very amusing that to do his laziest wrestler alive schtick, he's got to be incredibly athlethic. He plays a great straight man to go against hysterical heels, while also being a great sight gag over and over and over again. I wish he had a bit more direction, as since the Jericho feud he feels like he's showing up just to show up.

8 - Hiromu Takahashi, NJPW
Probably the most consistently entertaining person in all of wrestling. Incredible charisma, death defying physicality, and amazing matches all throughout, with a particularly captivating performance vs Despy. I love his odd takes and off the wall character, and the only reason he's this low is that I feel like he's gone a little underused from the NJPW that I've managed to catch.

9 - Hikaru Shida, AEW
A fighting champion. She's got a moveset that I love in a personality that smashes through any language barriers. Like Hiromu, she'd probably be higher on the list if she was a bit more prominent in AEW. She gets great matches, and the little bits of promo material that she works with is entertaining, but she still feels a little second fiddle compared to the men's single and tag divisions. Like Moxley, I do enjoy her having to bring different approaches to different opponents too, and like her most at her cockiest.

10 - Eddie Kingston, AEW
I went from having no idea who he was into thinking he is must see television. An incredible promo, and a captivating character of someone that is so abrasive he alienates everyone naturally.

Looking through the list, I feel like I left off so many people I'm big fans of. Like a lot of AEW's lower card: Evil Uno and the Dark Order in general, Ricky Starks.
Or people who've been away for some reason or just couldn't fit onto the card, like PAC, Fenix, Pentagon
Or a side effect of my busy schedule and I couldn't catch enough of their stuff to care, like Shingo, Ishii, Naito, SANADA (how did SANADA not make my list)
Or South East Asian wrestlers that I managed to see live

Despite everything, wrestling is in a good place friends. There are so many options, and I only mainly watched AEW and NJPW, sometimes Gatoh Move when I can! I wish I could figure out TJPW because everything sounds wonderful from it too.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

1. Shoko Nakajima (TJPW/AEW, 29)
2. Mei Suruga (Gatoh Move/ChocoPro/TJPW, 21)
3. Yuka Sakazaki (TJPW/AEW, 29?)
4. Miyu Yamashita (TJPW, 25)
5. Maki Itoh (TJPW, 25)
6. Lulu Pencil (Gatoh Move/Chocopro, ???)
7. Kaori Yoneyama (YMZ/STARDOM/Gatoh Move, 39)
8. Hyper Misao (TJPW, 30)
9. Chie Koishikawa (Gatoh Move/ChocoPro), 22
10. Emi Sakura (Gatoh Move/AEW/ChocoPro, 44)

I watched a lot of ChocoPro during the pandemic and weird, I love everyone in the promotion

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Edit: how on earth did this post end up here

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jan 4, 2021

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Ooof, looking at my list from last year, A LOT has changed (not going to include any WWE wrestlers, and my final two were Luchasaurus and Gentleman Jervis :chloe: ).

edit: noted Jerusalem, updated
1) Kenny Omega
2) Penta el 0M
3) Rey Fenix
4) PAC
5) Hangman Page
6) Orange Cassidy
7) Jon Moxley
8) Lance Archer
9) Eddie Kingston
10) Dr. Britt Baker, DMD

HM: Brodie Lee, Nyla Rose, Best Friends, Proud and Powerful, Riho, Hikaru Shida

BodyMassageMachine fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 5, 2021

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

1. Eita (29, Dragon Gate)
Being an Eita fan is a roller-coaster ride, as he goes through long periods of ups and downs depending on how motivated he's feeling in that particular year. In 2016 he looked like one of the absolute best wrestlers in the world and one of the next big breakout stars, but in 2017 and 2018 he looked completely demotivated and was coasting completely on his natural charisma. Luckily in 2020 he seems to be fulfilling the promises of 2016 with the change in Dragon Gate management and he has been putting in a ton of hard work that's paid off big for him. Dude has essentially been the linchpin of an entire promotion this year. He's delivered in every big match they've put him in, and his Dream Gate match against Doi was not only the best performance of his career, but also one of the best performances of a singular wrestler I've seen all year.

2. YAMATO (39, Dragon Gate)
Despite taking a back seat to the main event mostly in 2020, YAMATO's still my wrestling husbano, and he excels at every aspect of professional wrestling. World-class worker, insane charisma, great talker, and incredible look. He was a key part of the match that got me into Dragon Gate, and he's grown on me more and more over the years until one day I suddenly realized he was one of my all-time favorites.

3. Keisuke Okuda (29, Dragon Gate)
Okuda came into Dragon Gate in 2019 and immediately started mouthing off to Mochizuki and had some killer introductory matches with the old man that put him right on my map of guys to watch out for. He had a cool look and a hard-hitting pseudo-MMA style that made him stand out from the rest of the guys in Dragon Gate, and in 2020 he found a perfect counterpart in Kaito Ishida, with whom he had the best feud of year. Dude's put in a ton of work to meld himself with Dragon Gate and I think it's paid off well, as he's always one of the most interesting men whenever he shows up on camera.

4. Ben-K (29, Dragon Gate)
Dragon Gate's wunderkid, who paved the way for the company's current crop of seemingly-endless 20-something wrestling prodigies. Essentially what would happen if you combined Brock Lesnar with Goldberg and put him in a cruiserweight's body, Ben-K has a "big deal" aura around him that he backs up with excellent performances in the ring every time he's given a featured spot on the card. If he can lean back on his tendency to take really stupid bumps and also avoid situations like the unfortunate KO he received at Final Gate, he's probably going to be on my top ten list for many years to come.

5. BxB Hulk (40, Dragon Gate)
My boy BxB Hulk. The reason I started following Draon Gate. Even though he's a shadow of what he used to be and his shoulder is held together by duct tape and prayer at this point, he's still capable of pulling out decent matches and he's very clearly having a ton of fun as a heel teaming with KAI as giant shitheads. And hell, I'm having a ton of fun watching him have fun.

6. Susumu Yokosuka (42, Dragon Gate)
Dragon Gate's quite workhorse, he's secretly one of the best workers in the world, with the most dramatic lariat in the business. Even though 2020 was relatively quite for him, after a fantastic run as Brave Gate champ in 2019, his Dream Gate match with Doi right before the first COVID lock-down was a masterclass of two veteran workers going all in on an exciting psychological match, and his Twin Gate challenges against the Lee/Minoru team were two of the best tag matches in a year filled with great tag wrestling.

7. Riho (23, AEW)
Pretty much the only woman in AEW's women's division I really want to see, while she was here in the states she single-handedly made that division worth watching and her absence has been really felt. Incredible babyface fire, her ability to generate sympathy and support is pretty much unrivaled in the entire business. Hopefully 2021 will lead to more of her in AEW.

8. PAC (34, AEW)
The total package and most interesting person in AEW's men division. Coward Tony better give him the belt sooner rather than later.

9. MJF (24, AEW)
The young guy in AEW who feels like he has the highest ceiling. MJF is the best talker in the company and his matches against Jungle Boy and Mox show that he 100% can go in the ring. After PAC he's the guy I most want to see be successful in western wrestling. Sky's the limit for him.

10. Kzy (34, Dragon Gate)
The last two years have really solidified Kzy's position in Dragon Gate and he fills a giant Akira Tozawa-sized hole in my heart. One day his long-suffering fans will see him win the Dream Gate but until then we'll have to be content with one of the best babyfaces in the business operating at a high level consistently.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I went back to my last list to see how things have changed

HM: Chris Jericho - developed crazy boomer brain
HM: EVIL - left LIJ for BC, match quality tanked
10: Andrade - stuck in catering
9: Asuka - held the Raw Women's title for almost a year, has had one proper feud
8: Finn Balor - current NXT champ so good for him I guess
7: Will Ospreay - :fuckoff:
6: Cody - vital part of AEW but has been surpassed now I know the roster
5: Ember Moon - still alive in NXT apparently?
4: Daniel Bryan - has somehow become Just A Guy
3: Zack Sabre Jr. - still my #3
2: Taichi - still my #2
1: SANADA - still my #1

My loyalties are strong :hai:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lucha Bros are two people, if you don't adjust this list before midnight tonight I'll count your picks as Pentagon first and Rey Fenix second, and drop Nyla Rose off the #10 spot.

Edit: And sorted, thanks BMM :)

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 5, 2021

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
1. Deonna Purazzo
2. Chris Bey
3. Willie Mack
4. Rich Swann
5. Jordynne Grace
6. Chris Sabin
7. Josh Alexander
8. Rohit Raju
9. Alex Shelly
10. Karl Anderson

HM: Kenny Omega

don't @ me

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A few stats after 4 days of lists:

- 51 goons have posted their lists.
- 159 wrestlers have been submitted so far.
- The breakdown by gender is 112 male wrestlers, 47 female.
- The average age of the wrestlers selected so far is 32 - wrestlers picked so far who are at that age are: Hikaru Shida, Katsuhiko Nakajima, Ryo Mizunami and SANADA.
- I do not have ages for: Abadon, Cara Noir, Danhausen, Leyla Hirsch, Lulu Pencil, THE HOODFOOT or Viktor Tykki.
- 24 promotions have been specified so far, with a 25th catch-all "other" for those with no clear/apparent "home" promotion.
- With 44 distinct wrestlers, AEW is the most selected promotion so far. Next is New Japan, then WWE (excluding NXT), and the addition of Impact in 4th place thanks purely to the list of Edward Mass!
- Three wrestlers have topped 100 points in the tally so far, with three other wrestlers right on the cusp. The lead wrestler has cleared 200 points so far.
- There are now only 3 female wrestlers in the Top 20, with Hikaru Shida dropping down to 23rd place.
- The highest ranked female wrestler remains Yuka Sakazaki, in 11th place on 57 points.
- The breakdown by promotion for the Top 20 is: AEW: 10 | NJPW: 7 | TJPW: 1 | Gatoh Move: 1 | NWA: 1
- Of last year's top ten, four of the finalists remain in the current top ten. Only 1 wrestler from the 2019 top 10 has so far received NO votes this year, and it's 2019's Favorite Active Wrestler Kazuchika Okada! :psyduck:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Yuka Sakazaki's age is just a rumor, it's not public info anywhere iirc and she's probably a lot older than 24 :v:

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
I really only watch AEW and NJPW, so here we go:

1. Tomohiro Ishii, NJPW: Every time I watch him in a match, it's pure joy. He hits all the right spots for me even if every single one of his matches is pretty much the same psychology. He's the best, been my favorite for a few years now.
2. Jon Moxley, AEW/NJPW: Probably the best all around talent. Loved his matches with Suzuki, Brodie Lee, MJF, Kingston, and Omega. I can't think of too many people that can stand face to face with Suzuki while also being able to equal Eddie Kingston in a promo. He rules, and he did such a great job of carrying AEW through the pandemic.
3. Shingo Takagi, NJPW: Similar to Ishii. His program with Suzuki was awesome, and he's the perfect face for the NEVER division. I know at some point he'll spin off that and challenge for one of the big 2 belts, and I can't wait.
4. Adam Page, AEW: Most sympathetic character of the year. Someday he'll win the big one and it'll be so great. Probably the most improved of 2020.
5. Minoru Suzuki, NJPW: If I don't rank him, he may come and elbow me in the face until I'm dead, so let's not have that happen.
6. Zack Sabre Jr., NJPW: I think my favorite thing in all of wrestling is ZSJ trying to get in a strike off with someone and immediately getting murdered. I love his style. He's hilarious when he's cocky and arrogant when he has the advantage, and when he's melting down after getting his comeuppance. His run last year with Taichi was the best.
7. Kota Ibushi, NJPW: Had a legendary match at the start of the year. Loved his tag team work with Tanahashi. His G1 run was amazing. I have nothing negative to say about Ibushi other than that he's completely crazy.
8. Kenny Omega, AEW: It's amazing how quick he went from great tag team act, but out of the main event scene to the biggest deal. Given where he's at now, I can't imagine he'll be this low this time next year.
9. Hikaru Shida, AEW: Fantastic overall performer. She can have some brutal matches, the one with Nyla Rose at Double or Nothing being the highlight. I think her promo work has improved over the year as well.
10. Hiroshi Tanahashi, NJPW: GO ACE

Taichi is probably 11th. So many people I had to leave out that I enjoy. Nyla Rose, Hiromu, El Desperado, the entire Dark Order, Yugi Nagata had the awesome matches with Suzuki, Orange Cassidy, the list goes on.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

Yuka Sakazaki's age is just a rumor, it's not public info anywhere iirc and she's probably a lot older than 24 :v:

Yeah, Yuka needs to be in the formula as an ∞, as a djinn she's eternal.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
1. Bray Wyatt (WWE)
2. Bayley (WWE)
3. Jon Moxley (AEW)
4. Kenny Omega (AEW)
5. Mr. Brodie Lee (AEW / Requiescat in pace)
6. Asuka (WWE)
7. Becky Lynch (WWE—she was active at the start of the year after all!)
8. Keith Lee (WWE)
9. Adam Cole (WWE/NXT)
10. Drew McIntyre (WWE)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

please do not make up rumors about yuka

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ShadowedFlames posted:

7. Becky Lynch (WWE—she was active at the start of the year after all!)

Holy poo poo I had forgotten just how much she actually did wrestle this year. It feels like forever ago.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

RealFoxy posted:

Given that she broke in with Rika and Shoko, she is PROBABLY 28 or 29, but as a djinn, obviously eternal.

Miyu started in TJPW at 18!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Yuka was a comedian pre-TJPW so she might be a little older than the others too. Mizuki Watase from DDT was also taken from a comedy background but still does his stand up act.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

1. toru yano
2. kenny omega
3. trent
4. cody rhodes
5. kota ibushi
6. jeff cobb
7. jon moxley
8. yuka sakazaki
9. riho
10. goldberg

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
1. Drew McIntyre

that's it, that's the list. my toxx isn't over yet

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Another update to bump this back to page 1, and remind anybody who hasn't put in their list yet there is still plenty of time, but you don't have to wait till the last minute!

- 55 goons have posted their lists.
- 162 wrestlers have been submitted so far.
- The breakdown by gender is 114 male wrestlers, 48 female.
- The average age of the wrestlers selected so far remains 32 though is right on the cusp of 33. Wrestlers picked so far who are at that age are: Hikaru Shida, Katsuhiko Nakajima, Ryo Mizunami and SANADA.
- I do not have ages for: Abadon, Cara Noir, Danhausen, Leyla Hirsch, Lulu Pencil, THE HOODFOOT or Viktor Tykki.
- 24 promotions have been specified so far, with a 25th catch-all "other" for those with no clear/apparent "home" promotion.
- With 45 distinct wrestlers, AEW is the most selected promotion so far. Next is New Japan which rather surprisingly only has one more person on their list WWE (who actually have more if you include NXT as a catch-all). Edward Mass' list still keeps Impact in a surprise 4th place over Stardom.
- Four wrestlers have now surpassed 100 points in the tally so far, with two other wrestlers right on the cusp. The top two wrestlers have both cleared 200 points.
- Hikaru Shida has managed to rise up to 21st position, but that still leaves only 3 women in the Top 20.
- The highest ranked female wrestler remains Yuka Sakazaki, in 11th place on 60 points.
- The breakdown by promotion for the Top 20 is: AEW: 10 | NJPW: 7 | TJPW: 1 | Gatoh Move: 1 | NWA: 1
- 1 wrestler has managed to get a vote in postions 2-10 so far. Even one #1 vote would propel him into 4th place in the rankings.
- 2019's Favorite Active Wrestler Kazuchika Okada still has ZERO votes!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 7, 2021

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

1. Kota Ibushi
  2. Kenny Omega
  3. Jon Moxley
  4. Shun Skywalker
  5. Taichi
  6. Dragon Kid
  7. Fenix
  8. Eddie Kingston
  9. Nyla Rose
  10. Keisuke Okuda

I Before E fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 7, 2021

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

okada has no votes because he is not a wrestler, he is a god.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

JOHN CENA posted:

okada has no votes because he is not a wrestler, he is a god.

Sorry that's Kota Ibushi now

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
loving cowards, y'all disgust me

1. Kazuchika Okada (33, NJPW)
2. Jon Moxley (35, AEW)
3. Kenny Omega (37, AEW)
4. Hiromu Takahashi (31, NJPW)
5. Shingo Takagi (38, NJPW)
6. El Hijo del Vikingo (23, AAA)
7. Black Taurus (33, AAA)
8. Rey Fenix (30, AEW/AAA)
9. Eddie Kingston (39, AEW)
10. Thunder Rosa (34, NWA/AEW)

Benne fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 7, 2021

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
1. Daniel Bryan (39, WWE): go to hell. I don't have to explain myself!
2. Kota Ibushi (38, NJPW): god's perfect idiot and now he is god.
3. Adam Page (29, AEW): god's imperfect idiot and one day he will be god.
4. Kazuchika Okada (33, NJPW): he's the best wrestler in the dang world!
5. Chuck Taylor (34, AEW): this guy's very funny.
6. Orange Cassidy (36, AEW): this one too. stopping descriptions now in honor of him.
7. Zack Sabre Jr. (33, NJPW)
8. Nick Gage (40, independents)
9. Tomohiro Ishii (45, NJPW)
10. Ricky Starks (???, AEW)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I only watch puro so lol

1. Kota Ibushi (38, NJPW) - Superbly-talented wrestler with very unique matches, adapting his style to his opponent and making sure they both come out strong in the end
2. Tomohiro Ishii (45, NJPW) - Still one of the best workers in the world. Tough and hard.
3. Shingo Takagi (38, NJPW) - Toughest spirit in the business. Worked in some jaw-dropping matches
4. Minoru Suzuki (52, NJPW) - Murder grandpa still delivers
5. Jay White (28, NJPW) - The worst ever (but I love him for it). Such a good heel that anyone who wrestles him instantly becomes a face (Taichi, Suzuki, Yujiro)
6. Masaaki Mochizuki (50, DG, NOAH) - This guy is 50 and has amazing strikes. Became an instant fan after watching his N1 match with Kaito Kiyomiya
7. Kenoh (36, NOAH) - Meanest, angriest mofo ever. Has an amazing relationship with Kaito Kiyomiya
8. Yoshinari Ogawa (54, NOAH) - Might be my favorite junior from last year. Slippery rat boy with the meanest submissions
9. Taiji Ishimori (37, NJPW) - In contrast to Ogawa, super hard-hitting with an intensity that only few could match
10. Mei Suruga (21, Gatoh Move, TJPW) - incredibly likable, great character work as either face or heel, and her enthusiasm is infectious

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 8, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A week+ into the thread, some more stats. Remember, lists will be accepted through to midnight EST on January 22nd.

- 59 goons have posted their lists.
- 170 wrestlers have been submitted so far.
- The breakdown by gender is 122 male wrestlers, 48 female.
- The average age of the wrestlers selected so far is once again 33. Wrestlers picked so far who are at that age are: Angelico, Becky Lynch, Black Taurus, Brandon Cutler, Bray Wyatt, Chris Dickinson, Evil Uno, Jeff Cobb, Josh Alexander, Kazuchika Okada, Saki Akai, Trent?, Willie Mack & Zack Sabre Jr.
- Yes, that means Punchsport Pagoda's favorite active wrestler for 2019 - Kazuchika Okada - has FINALLY gotten some votes, over a week into the thread.
- With 45 distinct wrestlers, AEW remains the most selected promotion so far. New Japan is in second place while WWE still holds surprisingly onto 3rd place (if you count NXT wrestlers as overall WWE, they actually surpass NJPW's tally). Impact is in joint 4th place now with Dragon Gate.
- Six wrestlers have surpassed 100 points in the tally so far. The top two wrestlers have both cleared 200 points with 2nd place well within reach of 1st place.
- There are now only 2 women in the Top 20, with the highest ranked female wrestler remaining Yuka Sakazaki who has now dropped to 14th place.
- The breakdown by promotion for the Top 20 is: AEW: 11 | NJPW: 7 | TJPW: 1 | NWA: 1
- The highest ranked WWE wrestler is in 25th place.
- So far, there is still only one wrestler who has managed to garner votes in 9 out of the 10 possible ranks, and they still have not been picked anybody's #1 pick.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

01. Jon Moxley (35, AEW)
02. Hangman Adam Page (29, AEW)
03. Asuka (39, WWE)
04. Kenny Omega (37, AEW)
05. Brodie Lee (41, AEW) (The guy was finally, finally showing his true potential, and then... :sigh: )
06. Orange Cassidy (36, AEW)
07. Kevin Owens (36, WWE)
08. PAC (34, AEW)
09. Eddie Kingston (39, AEW)
10. MJF (24, AEW) (Almost left him off because of how unbelievably much I hate him, but then it's a tribute to his craft how infinitely hate-able he really is.)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bumping this with a reminder there are still roughly 10 days to get your submission in, the more people who put in a list the better!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Diplomat posted:

3. Ricky Starks (30, AEW) In the first Stroke Daddy

Since I had no idea who he was before AEW, I apprehensively googled Ricky Starks Stroke Daddy, and I wasn't burned by this decision!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbdY6mdbHmI

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

1. Hiromu Takahashi - The world most perfect ball of chaos.

2. Rey Fenix - Gravity defying, breathtaking wrestler. Half of the things he does I don't believe are possible even after I've seen them, yet he's still not a spot monkey!

3. Shingo Takagi - Absolute standout, seems incapable of having a bad match. I deeply deeply would love to see him wrestle Pentagon el Zero M

4. PAC - He's a bastard, and an unbelievably complete wrestler to boot.

5. Thunder Rosa - Standout of the AEW womens division, and she's not even in AEW.

6. Tomohiro Ishii - Would you like to have a 5* match? Big Time Tomo can take you there.

7. Mr Brodie Lee (RIP) - Aside from his own fantastic matches, elevated the Dark Order and everyone in it

8 + 9. Dangerous Tekkers. NJPW hasn't tradiationally booked tag well at all, but these two perfect friends have made the division fun for the first time in a long time.

10. Eddie Kingston - The best on the mic, period.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bumping with a reminder there's roughly a week left to put in your list.

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven
I'm throwing this top 10 off the top of my head, so I will probably forget some of my favourites.

Disclaimer: WALTER and Daniel Bryan would be my top two picks, but the other wrestles on a show that doesn't exist and the other only has one match I was bothered to check out during the past year (DBD vs Gulak @EC).

HMs: Chuck Taylor, Shun Skywalker, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Shingo Takagi, Tomohiro Ishii, Jon Moxley, Eddie Kingston, Toru Yano, Masato Yoshino, Chuck Mambo

10. Stark Adder (FCF Wrestling, ??)
The obligatory local Finnish guy. Adder is one of the few veterans of the Finnish scene, debuting in 2004 (being the second most experienced Finn in the wrestling business) and probably the best technical wrestler this country has produced. Has really been on a great run the past few years delivering every time he steps in the ring. He might possess a negative amount of mic skills, but the crowd adores him anyways, as the shouts of "Nylje se!" (loosely translated to "Skin him/her!") rally him on. For some reasons there's really no info about the ages of our wrestlers, so sorry about that.

9. Go Shiozaki (NOAH, 38)
Let's be honest, his GHC Heavyweight run this year has made me a fan and his every big match is a must watch, even if I don't have the time to watch NOAH shows in their entirety. Best wrestler of the year 2020, don't let any awards tell you otherwise.

8. Brian Cage (AEW, 36)
The first PWG show I ever watched was Threemendous III in 2012 and that was the first time I saw Brian Cage. His Discus Lariat immediately made me a fan and I've followed most of his major work ever since as his reputation (and muscle mass) has grown. He was great in PWG, awesome in Lucha Underground, good in Impact and a great pairing with Taz in AEW. Just a big ball of beef who knows next to nothing about in-ring psychology, but man, he can pull of some moves and sequences.

7. Don Fujii (Dragon Gate, 50)
I've always enjoyed the trope of the old, grumpy wrestler beating the figurative shite out of young wrestlers. I'd argue there are few better at this than the great Don Fujii. I've probably missed the peak of his career (as I started to check out Dragon Gate in around 2014/15 and the old DG material is tough to find) but that hasn't really mattered.

6. Zack Sabre Jr. (NJPW, 33)
The man who has a made a deal with the devil: knows every possible submission hold to exist, can't keep one locked in for more than 10 seconds. I kid, he has gotten a lot better with that since he joined NJPW. Stylistically a welcome pallet cleanser in NJPW, where his submission style has the room to stand out. His great promos are just a cherry on top.

5. Matt Sydal (AEW, 37)
When I started watching wrestling in 2008 (I know), I had few guys that kept me watching WWE most weeks. When I found a way to watch WWECW the next year, I saw Matt Sydal, then Evan Bourne, for the first time. And he became my favourite wrestler. I kept watching Raw FOR YEARS just to see Matt Sydal have a match... and usually job to The Miz or Jack Swagger. There were highs (PPV match with Jericho, great MITB performances, Air Boom) and lows (lower card jobber for 85% of his run). After smoking just a bit too much weed and getting shown the door, Sydal has stayed consistently great in the subsequent years.

4. Hangman Page (AEW, 29)
While THE star of AEW is Jon Moxley, Hangman Page IS AEW. This is the cornerstone, this is the most crucial building block the company has. If everything goes right, he's THE star for the next ten years. Charismatic, great in the ring and has a good sense of humor.

3. Minoru Suzuki (NJPW, 52)
He might be 52, but he is still just the best.

2. Masaaki Mochizuki (Dragon Gate, 50)
He's turning 51 this weekend, but that hasn't really slowed down the iron man of Dragon Gate. Despite not being part of the major storyline of the year, Mochi is still a delight every time he steps in the ring.

1. Kaito Ishida (Dragon Gate, 25)
The Kick Boy is my boy. When I got into Dragon Gate, Ishida and Takehiro Yamamura (rip) we're their current young boys. I quickly took a liking to them and Ishida has been a favourite since. His heel run has really shown the world that he's a DG main eventer in the making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There's not much of an update as new submissions are coming much slower now, but a reminder that entries close at midnight EST on January 22nd. Next year maybe I should make the voting window 2 weeks instead of three?

- 62 goons have posted their lists. We're well short of the 114 who submitted in 2019, so I hope there are still plenty more to come.
- 174 wrestlers have been submitted so far. This actually compares favorably with the 202 individual wrestlers submitted in 2019.
- The breakdown by gender is 126 male wrestlers, 48 female. That puts us ahead of the 2019 total for women wrestlers, which was 46.
- The average age of the wrestlers selected so far remains 33, very slightly higher than the 32.8 average age in 2019. Wrestlers picked so far who are 33 are: Angelico, Becky Lynch, Black Taurus, Brandon Cutler, Bray Wyatt, Chris Dickinson, Evil Uno, Jeff Cobb, Josh Alexander, Kazuchika Okada, Saki Akai, Trent?, Willie Mack & Zack Sabre Jr.
- I do not have ages for: Abadon, Cara Noir, Danhausen, Leyla Hirsch, Lulu Pencil, THE HOODFOOT, Stark Adder or Viktor Tykki.
- 24 promotions have been specified so far, with a 25th catch-all "other" for those with no clear/apparent "home" promotion. This is one more promotion than was selected in 2019.
- With 45 distinct wrestlers, AEW remains the most selected promotion so far. New Japan and WWE hold their 2nd and 3rd places respectively. However, 4th place is now held by Dragon Gate, which has a single wrestler advantage over IMPACT.
- There are still only six wrestlers who have surpassed 100 points in the tally. The top two wrestlers have both cleared 200 points with 2nd place well within reach of 1st place.
- There remains only 2 women in the Top 20, and none in the top ten.
- The breakdown by promotion for the Top 20 is: AEW: 11 | NJPW: 7 | TJPW: 1 | NWA: 1
- The breakdown of ages in the top 10 is 2 wrestlers in their 20s, 5 in their 30s, and 3 in their 40s. This makes the average age of Punchsport Pagoda's Pro-Wrestling Top 10 wrestlers 36, slightly older than the average for all wrestlers listed so far.
- The highest ranked WWE wrestler is in 25th place, and probably isn't who you think.