Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
10. Angel Ortiz (29, AEW) - On the first day of AEW Dynamite I had heard that LAX were good wrestlers, but I knew nothing about them. Throughout 2019 and especially 2020 I became a massive fan of these two. The fact that I had to pick one is the only reason Ortiz is on the list and Santana is not.

9. Eddie Kingston (39, AEW) - Good promos make me interested in what they have to say. Great promos make me believe what they say. Eddie Kingston makes me believe that he believes every word he says.

8. Baliyan Akki (Gatoh Move/ChocoPro) - Honestly for the longest time he was my favorite of the Best Bros, but then Mei Saint-Michel...

7. Mei Suruga (21, Gatoh Move/ChocoPro/TJPW) - Fun fact, her first wrestling event she ever went to live was Okada/Omega 2.

6. Yuki Kamifuku (26, TJPW) - Best theme song in wrestling, bar none.

5. Mizuki (25, TJPW) - https://twitter.com/ddtpro_eng/status/1325166802658238467?s=21

4. Konami (24, Stardom) - She's always been my favorite member of TCS, but now she's teaming up with Bea Priestley and I'm sad.

3. Saki Akai (33, DDT/TJPW/She also plays Quetzalcoatl in Fate Stage Plays) - A highlight in every promotion she's in. I've literally used her to get friends into wrestling.

2. Maxwell Jacob Friedman (24, AEW) - Holy poo poo he's only 24.

1. Hyper Misao (TJPW) - She is a hero. On the best day for professional wrestling, November 7th, Hyper Misao had the second best match of the day (behind Yuka Sakazaki vs Mizuki). She then followed it up with a massively emotional main event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm glad you said completely "no edits" because it means I can't second guess my list a million times. I went with my gut and my gut said "I am a Hero"

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Hey Jru, you should post a tally of how many people apologized for only watching AEW/not watching NJPW/etc by the end of this too.

Not a callout post i just noticed it and laughed.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 2, 2021

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Imagine seeing a list with Kamiyu and calling Sammy Guevara the standout. :colbert:

e: Also, lmao @ "Surprisingly far down Sasha Banks (+22 places), Sami Zayn (+16 places), and Kevin Owens (+4 places)"

Senerio fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 25, 2021

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Saki Akai is good

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm just mentally dragging the TJPW roster up about 5-10 spots to account for the poor taste of the posters.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

frankenfreak posted:

Having to share a spot with WMOTYC machine Bray feels like is an insult.

Think of it in a positive way, she got 6x the votes of Will Ospreay.

That's the only way I won't spend this whole list grumbling tbh.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm honestly curious who the per capita best wrestler in the thread is, as in the wrestler who got the most points with the fewest eyes on them. If I cared I'd get the list and figure out a multiplicative factor based on promotion, so promotions like NJPW and AEW, forum favorites, would be .3, WWE, incredibly visible but not forum favorite, would be like .35, and promotions like TJPW or IMPACT, favorites of a much smaller portion of the forums would be like .5-.6 or something.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Senerio posted:

I'm honestly curious who the per capita best wrestler in the thread is, as in the wrestler who got the most points with the fewest eyes on them. If I cared I'd get the list and figure out a multiplicative factor based on promotion, so promotions like NJPW and AEW, forum favorites, would be .3, WWE, incredibly visible but not forum favorite, would be like .35, and promotions like TJPW or IMPACT, favorites of a much smaller portion of the forums would be like .5-.6 or something.

Nevermind, found her.

Jerusalem posted:

Asuka/Veny - 2019 Position: #46 (+18 places improvement) | Times Voted #1: 0

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Man, if I hadn't waffled on having too much joshi on my list, Asuka would've scored over Okada. Now I'm sad.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1HqlbgFffc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0FY2UHIhWc

HERO! HERO NI NARU TOKI AH HA SORE WA IMA!

Also, Watch the Fans make the rules match from Wrestle Princess. It was one of the top two matches of November 7th, behind the main event, Yuka Sakazaki vs Mizuki.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Serious question, though:

(t/n: No Kicks)

IS a Big Boot a kick?

Also while I was looking for that I found this:

(t/n: The wrestler must spin around a bat 10 times or a pinfall won't be counted, if they kick out you must spin around the bat again)

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Even ignoring any animosity that Hyper Misao has with a fuckin french wrestler who looks a lot like Saki Akai (that you can learn about in the second video I posted), the Hyper Misao vs Saki Akai match is probably the best comedy match of 2020. I would change a lot about my list, but Hyper Misao at #1 was 100% true and still not even close.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
If Kota Ibushi was slightly better at wrestling, he'd be the male Mayu Iwatani.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

frankenfreak posted:

(And/or made of rubber like Mayu)

I was being realistic. Kota Ibushi could theoretically improve his skills to Mayu's level. He can't reconstitute his entire body to be made of the same material as Mayu.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Lulupencil canonically 10x the wrestler that Will Ospreay is.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Maki was robbed. I say this as someone who took her off his list for Eddie Kingston.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Also Maki wrestled the best match in her career at the Jan 4 Kouraken show, against coolest wrestler in the world by a comfortable margin Miyu Yamashita. If you have DDT Universe absolutely go watch that match. Even if you already saw it live or later. Just go watch it again.

And on Feb 11, she will be taking on the fuckin French with her teammate... ALSO the coolest wrestler in the world by a comfortable margin Miyu Yamashita.

https://twitter.com/miyu_tjp/status/1350362148245893120

Senerio fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 25, 2021

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
A lot of these writeups miss out on the actual highlights of each wrestler's year tbh

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Jerusalem posted:

Feel free to bring up anything that doesn't get mentioned! Remind people of things they might have missed or forgotten about in 2020... hell, I honestly 100% thought that the Cody/MJF lashes stuff was in 2019, it feels so long ago.

This whole results show has gone very far without mentioning the best wrestling show of 2020, Wrestle Princess, once, despite it being the biggest show in TJPW history, and also the biggest show of the year, supplanting the Jan 4 Kouraken shows (which also has only gotten one aside, in Hyper Misao's writeup)

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yep.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Also you didn't mention Hyper Misao's retirement and unretirement and marriage.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

TV Zombie posted:

Lulu's saga regarding her hat was one of my favorite wrestling storylines of the year.

+1. Chris Brookes is an excellent heel as well.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Hyper Misao announced her retirement at the end of 2020, and had a dramatic retirement ceremony/final match/etc, and then decided at the end that she couldn't retire and instead would be wrestling as TJPW's first married wrestler. She got married at the end of 2020.

I'm gonna go in depth on her match with Saki Akai instead though, because it was great and I love talking about it. This requires a lot of backstory because Hyper Misao puts every part of herself into her matches. It's why she's one of my favorites.

To start with, you need to go deep in the Hyper Misao lore, the excellent documentary here will cover basically everything in this paragraph (the backstory to her chocolate deathmatch with Jun Kasai) and the next (Misao) in much greater detail, so I won't labor too much, but basically: Before she joined TJPW, she was a shut-in with no real ambition or goal in life. She ate nothing but chocolate cream puffs, for the ease of eating combined with the high calorie count. One day, she went to a craft fair with her mother, and discovered DDT, in the form of a death match featuring, among the competitors, death match legend Jun Kasai. This led to her acclaimed Chocolate Death Match against Kasai, where the two competitors had to eat a bag of Chocolate Cream Puffs before their pins would be counted. She emulated stunts she was in the match at the craft fair, and the match was considered by many to be one of her best matches.

Later, down the line, Hyper Misao faced a returning from injury Rika Tatsumi, and lost. Feeling disheartened, at the end of the night, when French Aristocrat Sakisama (who looks a lot like Saki Akai) was beating down Rika, Hyper Misao grabbed a chair, and ran to make the save... for Sakisama, turning on Rika. Discarding her mask and Superhero persona, Hyper Misao was no more, she was just Misao. She adopted a new finishing move, the Vanitas, and joined Sakisama's faction, NEO Biishiki-gun. The two would run roughshod over the promotion, until Rika, having tried to bring back her friend, won the tag titles off of Biishiki-gun, and drove a wedge between the two. Misao would go on to challenge Sakisama for her freedom, and got as close as anyone would get to a blessing from Sakisama, despite ultimately losing the match. Sakisama even kicked out of Misao's Vanitas. None of this matters for the 2020 poll, it's just backstory for the match.

Fast forward to November 7th, 2020, one of the best days in professional wrestling that isn't a January 4th or a Wrestlemania Weekend. Saki Akai is having a special guest match in TJPW with Hyper Misao. The two have a little bit of history, as after discovering DDT, Saki Akai was the first Joshi wrestler that Hyper Misao had watched. The match is a "Fans Bring the Rules" match, meaning that there are special rules that must be followed. When a competitor pushes the button, the rules will change. The match begins.

Current Rule: NO KICKING

The match starts, and Saki hits Misao with a big boot. She makes the cover, but the ref argues that the Big Boot was, in fact, a kick, and thus she had broken the rules. Misao attempts to roll Akai up, but the ref catches her feet on the ropes. The button is pushed.

Current Rule: PUT YOUR FOREHEAD ON THE BAT AND SPIN 5 TIMES OR YOUR PIN WON'T BE COUNTED. IF THE PIN IS UNSUCCESSFUL, YOU MUST SPIN AGAIN

The ref counts the spins, the two try to wrestle but are so dizzy that they agree to a truce and scramble to push the button.

Current Rule: CHOCOLATE DEATHMATCH

The two immediately get to eating, but Misao throws Saki out of the ring, and (behind the ref's back) empties her bag of cream puffs into Saki's bag. Misao shows the ref her empty bag, but Saki was watching the whole thing and with an awesome look of disgust on her face, just smashes the button.

Current Rule: EACH WRESTLER GETS A HELPER IN THE MATCH

Saki Akai's helper is Eruption stablemate Yukio Sakaguchi, and Hyper Misao's helper is DDT President Sanshiro Takagi. The two brawl a little and then Sakaguchi chases Takagi off as they hit the button again.

Current Rule: LAST WOMAN STANDING

Saki Akai goes for her finisher, the Quetzal Coatl (in the live action dramas taking place in the Fate/ universe, Saki Akai plays their incarnation of Quetzalcoatl, who is a wrestler) , but Misao reverses it into the Vanitas, the first time since returning to her Superhero roots that she's used this finisher. Despite this, the match would end with Misao down for the 10 count.

Afterwards, it was announced that Takagi had managed to smuggle Sakisama into Japan from France, and she would be appearing again, but that's a story for another day.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Neodoomium posted:

Just to be clear, Maki Itoh did not have a draw with Miyu. Miyu knocked her out and she couldn't get up for the ten count.

It was very visually striking because she was screaming in rage at her own body failing her.

No, that was the 1/4 show, they did have a draw to lead up to it.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Jerusalem posted:

Senerio thank you so much, that write-up rules :)

Honestly for most of that you have to thank both JoShizzle, the guy who does those amazing TJPW documentaries, and DDT English Update, which provided me the english translations of the rules. I'd recommend watching them, so then you can join us in the TJPW thread watching the new shows whenever they happen.

Anyway, Chuck Taylor and Mei Suruga are both great, and PAC is also great.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Also because I glossed over it, here's Hyper Misao's combat bicycle.

Also here's Sakisama and her current feral maid Mei Saint-Michel (no relation to Mei Suruga)

Just more TJPW things.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
It can't be underlined enough, she was Kobra Moon. There's hope for everyone.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Rarity posted:

I feel like I'm alone in not thinking Thunder Rosa is really that great. Like, she's fine but I think she gets overhyped cause of how light AEW's women's roster was when she came in

Watch her International Princess Title match with Maki Itoh. She's a natural heel and I think her face run in AEW isn't showing the best of her.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Senerio posted:

Watch her International Princess Title match with Maki Itoh. She's a natural heel and I think her face run in AEW isn't showing the best of her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHxnTfOdMFU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
That's fair, some wrestlers just don't do it for ya. I feel the same way about a few of the people still to come on this list, and a few people who have been posted on this list reasonably recently. They're good and I can see why they place as high as they do, but I honestly could take or leave them.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm super tired so I'm not gonna do a full writeup on Yuka vs Mizuki like I did with Saki Akai vs Hyper Misao but it was my legit Match of the Year, it's the match where the Whirling Candy gif is from, and much more importantly is the connection between the two wrestlers.

Yuka Sakazaki and Mizuki are the Magical Sugar Rabbits, the second-longest reigning Princess Tag Team Champions, having held the title from August 25, 2018 to June 8, 2019, dropping them to Neo Biishiki-gun (Misao and Sakisama). The friendship between the two was so strong, that in order to psych herself up to fight Yuka, Mizuki covered her ears so she wouldn't get excited at her friend's theme song. The two are tagging at the next big TJPW show on the 11th, against Suzume and Arisu Endo.

Just pointing out that that match was a pretty huge deal, as was Yuka's defense against Miyu at the Jan 4th show. Yuka and Miyu have been on-and-off rivals throughout the entirety of Yuka's wrestling career which is most of TJPW's history. That is covered in the documentary on Yuka and Miyu by the dude who did the Misao one I keep pushing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdxJr0r4gKU

Senerio fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 25, 2021

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Also yes, watch Wrestle Princess it was phenomenal and every match was at the very least "great"

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
ok I'm a little comforted by the fact that it didn't matter that I neglected to put Yuka on my top 10. If #10 was like 8 points away I'd feel sad about it.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I genuinely didn't expect anyone outside the TJPW contingent to put literally anybody I would put onto the list which is why I took some of the big names off for some AEW names.

Forgetting Miyu, though, was 100% on me.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Thanks for this, I was joking around with the early part of the list, but yeah this is a ton of work, and I didn't realize that you weren't just staggering the results until the top 25 lmao.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
More people need to watch TJPW, if only to see Kamiyu's theme, the greatest theme song in Professional Wrestling.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I did like that I am now able to determine how much better a wrestler is than Ospreay by dividing their score by 2, instead of some more complex algorithm.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Since we've been posting about it a lot, it's only fair to post Kamiyu's theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqpg9wjPGUQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I did learn my lesson, next year I will vote 100% Joshi in lockstep with the TJPW contingent.