Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
This is what I've got off the top of my head, so no regrets :justpost:

1: Tomohiro Ishii (NJPW) - TOUGH AND HARD STONE PITBULL is once again the MOTYC machine and the MVP of the G1 against some very stiff competition. Seriously, I went and checked and the guy's got like 11 MOTYC noms from this very subforum, which means that not only does he have more than any promotion except AEW and New Japan itself, he's also responsible for 1/6 of the NJPW nominations. And New Japan didn't even run shows for about a third of the year. So if this man is not on your list then what are you even doing?

2: Kenny Omega (AEW) - Dude has had a great year with his run as tag team champ and is not rounding it out by capturing the big one and transforming into a modern day Ric Flair. Also a MOTYC machine and the perfect guy for every angle he's been in throughout the year.

3: Minoru Suzuki (NJPW) - Not only is this man over 50 years old, but he also had one of the best feuds over the summer and keept delivering fantastic matches over the G1. It was tight between him and the next person on my list, but I figured that if I didn't include him in my top 3 it would raise the probability of me being murdered by MiSu from almost certain to definitely happening. While other wrestlers may be younger and more flashy there is no one that makes you believe like Suzuki does. Persistent source of my nightmares.

4: Hiromu Takahashi (NJPW) - Has been the MVP of the Jr division in New Japan and has kept delivering fantastic matches all year. Just outstanding work on every level in a division filled with some of the greatest talent in the world.

5: Hangman Page (AEW) - Hangman has always been great in the ring but it's his character work where he has really taken it to the next level. The fall of Hangman has pretty much been the most emotional story in AEW and he ends the year poised for great things in the future along with his new group of best buddies. And speaking of.

6: Brodie Lee (AEW) - Despite what ended up happening Brodie proved to the world that he was a legit main eventer and not only took the Dark Order from directionless midcard act to one of the most over groups in the business, but also clearly made the promotion and everybody he worked with better for his presence. RIP Big Rig.

7: Hikaru Shida (AEW) - The AEW women's division has had a lot of problems, but you can always count on Shida to deliver. She's had good matches all year and has had a good run as champ. Despite not cutting a lot of promos and given criminally little time she still comes off as a big deal and as a natural champion.

8: MJF (AEW) - Jesus Christ what a loving megaprick. He's perfect. About on the same level of rear end in a top hat as my next entry, but better in the ring so he gets the higher spot.

9: Britt Baker (AEW) - She's been uneven in her in-ring work, but her character work since her heel turn in early 2020 more than makes up for it. Just one of the best heels in the business.

10: Shingo Takagi (NJPW) - Beefy boys doing beefy things is always good, and barring Big Tom Ishii Shingo is just the best in the business. Has had a bunch of absolute bangers all year including that spectacular and brutal series against Suzuki.

Honorable mentions, Kota Ibushi, Despy, Jay White, Lucha Bros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Just realized that I totally forgot about Moxley, but that's the way it goes sometimes I guess.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Okada has had, what, four or five legitimately great matches this year. And two of those were at WK, and as such might as well have taken place in some forgotten antediluvian age.

So given the competition I absolutely understand why he isn't rated very highly this year.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
We're so spoiled for choice that I figured I'd just throw out whoever I could think of first and then after posting my list I realized I completely forgot about both Moxley and Naito.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Once again STONE PITBULL TOUGH AND HARD has been criminally underrated.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm here for the Four Pillars of AEW.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Big Yeehaw

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Man, here I thought that Hangmin would just barely edge out Mox, but that's not even close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

Steady on.

I'm looking forward to when the forum "never any good"s AEW so I can feel mildly less alienated

You could also start watching the good promotion that makes the good shows instead.