Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

OK, I'm going to take this entirely in the sense of favourites, so this isn't who I think had the best matches this year. This is who made me the most happy when they were on screen. Ten is a tough ask, even in a year this weird, ESPECIALLY in a year this weird. But here goes.

1. Adam Page (AEW)

In the ring and outside of it, 2020 in AEW has been the story of Adam Page's fall. I already loved him as a wrestler, but this was the year I really saw his potential as a character. His portrayal of Hangman - an anxious, self-sabotaging mess of a man trying to be a good person and terrified he isn't, someone who loves his friends so much he pushes them away in case he poisons them, someone who turns to alcohol because it's a safe and understandable oblivion - is the best character portrayal in wrestling today. And he more than backs it up in the ring. Basically, he's my favourite, in so many ways and for so many reasons.

2. Yuka Sakazaki (TJPW / AEW)

Put simply, magical. Yuka's astonishing ring work is only the start of the story of why her character is so absolutely charming. She's incredibly funny, incredibly animated, has some of the best emotional storytelling in wrestling, and has an accessible vicious streak that's a joy to watch. Her home promotion doesn't do English language commentary, but she tells her story so flawlessly through her ring work and her interactions that you don't need to know Japanese to be speaking the same language as her.

3. Hiromu Takahashi (NJPW)

God, this was a weird year for New Japan. Great shows then no shows then weird shows then great shows again. And one constant throughout it all. New Japan's Perfect Boy. I got into New Japan in May of 2018, which meant that I had about two months of him as an active wrestler before his injury, but it was enough to make him one of my favourites. And since his return he has been the shining light of New Japan for me. So innovative, so funny, so willing to do ludicrous things to make a match better. Just a glorious performer.

4. Mr Brodie Lee (AEW)

Oh god, this one loving hurts. He's been a favourite of mine since Chikara, which made his misuse or lack of use by WWE even more inexplicable. When he got to WWE, in the weird early lockdown days of 2020 it could have been a disaster. He debuted before no crowd, had his early matches in a gym, and was put in charge of a group that weren't really going anywhere. And he made them the most enjoyable part of the most enjoyable wrestling show. Because he was great: great in the ring, great as a character, great as a person. And it is so loving unfair that we don't get to see him flourishing and enjoying his success. I miss you already, Brodie.

5. Mei Suruga (Gatoh Move / TJPW)

When the world was falling apart, I took comfort in the little things. Fresh ground coffee at home. High quality instant ramen from the Asian supermarket near where I work. Tiny bespoke pro wrestling from ChocoPro. ChocoPro was a lifesaver for me this year. It showed that it was possible to be funny, to be charming, and to be genuinely great in a tiny format. And there was nobody as funny, as charming, as great, or as tiny as Mei Suruga. From her tag matches as part of BestBros to her excellent showings as a singles competitor, watching her is like experiencing joy. This would have been a much worse year without the delights of ChocoPro. And Mei was the best part of that. And that's before we even discuss the feral maid spotted at Tokyo Joshi shows...

6. Nyla Rose (AEW)

Ferocious. Funny. Skillful. Shitposter. Nyla would be pretty high up in my list of favourite people of 2020, let alone my list of favourite wrestlers. She's a monster in the ring, and outside of it she's one of the most animated performers in wrestling. Her social media presence alone would earn her a place on this list.

7. John Silver (AEW)

From low level jobber at the end of 2019 to one of the most compelling guys on the roster at the end of 2020, it's been a hell of a year for the Meat Man. His performances on Being The Elite showed how much personality he has, but what makes him more than a novelty is how well he performs in the ring. There's nothing like a John Silver hot streak, just cannonballing through three or four opponents without stopping. Wrestling should be fun to watch, and he's one of the most fun people wrestling today.

8. Kris Statlander (AEW)

Injury put my weird alien on the sidelines too early in 2020, and I am eagerly awaiting her return. A great in-ring competitor, and a remarkable goof outside of the ring, the potential for Kris Stat to return in 2021 is one of the places I'm putting my hope for the year.

9. Cara Noir (Progress / Riptide / WXW)

I'm a big believer in the idea that wrestling can be anything. Comedy, action, horror, sci fi, even ballet. Cara Noir is an exceptional performer who treats wrestling as a performance art. This should have been a breakout year for him as Progress champion and a mainstay of the British scene, and we saw glimmers of how great he could be. His Resurgence match with Spike Trivet is absolute gold. Lockdown meant he hasn't got to perform as much as he could have, and I still need to find a way to see his performance in the WXW Catch Grand Prix, but what I saw of him this year was some of the best stuff I saw this year.

10. Leyla Hirsch (AEW)

Wrestling is as much about celebrating the future as the past, and Leyla Hirsch is the future of women's wrestling. She brings a flavour to her AEW matches quite unlike any other part of their current brand. She's an incredible grappler, a powerhouse, and her moonsault is a joy to watch. I can't wait to see the stories she'll get to tell

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

honestly what this is suggesting to me is that AEW brought a shitload of people back to wrestling. Which is actually pretty awesome.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more Carbell.