Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I live in a poor neighborhood in Texas. It sounds like several Pakistani weddings got into a fight outside.

Lot of negligent gunfire going on where you live? Tell me about it! I'm bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

My neighbors around me have been lighting off fireworks since about 8

Vakal
May 11, 2008
If you wanted to murder someone now would be a good time I guess.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Pretty good officer, how about you?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Loud enough that my ancient great dane needed the tv to be on very loud to fall asleep comfortably. I think the neighbors installed proper firework tubes.

E: Still going on. blasting music, too. It's 1:40 am. Come on y'all.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 1, 2021

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I think what makes it more irritating this year is that it's just too sporadic.

In 2016 they were organized. 12:00:00, and all those motherfuckers let loose. It was impressive. Every dog in the neighborhood lost their poo poo.

Tonight I swear it's the same 20 frustrated chuds sullenly reloading in between mag dumps. It's 20 after, and they're still going.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

it's a nice constant reminder that 2020 might be over but you'll never stop sharing the world with these people

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010
it's nyc so... pretty good?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

https://twitter.com/jmmesserschmidt/status/1344784103426707456

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
NYE is the one time I can be almost certain that there won't be firearms discharged around here.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I don't have a gun so i tried to kill the air with a shovel. I did hit it but not much happened. Need to work on my technique.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
Ultra Carp
I'm shooting my gun in the air but I got blanks for safety

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
There were some fireworks in Baltimore. Nothing else where I am.

Edit: Justin Fenton has nothing new, which is a good measure for here.

gleebster fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jan 1, 2021

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

There are strange things done in the midnight gun

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

super sweet best pal posted:

There are strange things done in the midnight gun

Actually, I do feel cold.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Have you considered firing a gun into the air to scare away the criminals, op?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Hold on, do people actually shoot guns into the air on New Year's Eve or is this a joke that fireworks sound like gunfire?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I shot my great load (25 blasts and some smaller ones then a big stream) at 12.00 as was prophesied

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
sounds like you're envious op

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Clitch posted:

I live in a poor neighborhood in Texas. It sounds like several Pakistani weddings got into a fight outside.

Lot of negligent gunfire going on where you live? Tell me about it! I'm bored.

I think it's wild the people that say poo poo like "I don't want America to be like the middle east" will spend hundreds of dollars to make a whole night of war noise for those of us with real PTSD.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Next Christmas give all your neighbors silencers

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

Hold on, do people actually shoot guns into the air on New Year's Eve or is this a joke that fireworks sound like gunfire?

One of my neighbors has an actual working cannon and blew up their property for a while last night until 2:45-3:00 am.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

There's been like 10 gun murders in the local underworld war at a town 50km from here, which hardly had been noticed by the media.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I think that the local availability of fireworks cuts down on the firearms usage. much cheaper and more visually interesting.

people are constantly firing guns around here, but not generally for purposes of murder or accidental murder

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Shadow0 posted:

Actual gun fire on new years is somewhat traditional yeah.

I mean, fireworks is more common but going out into a field and tossing beer cans into the air to blast wouldn't get you a second look.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
In the olden days we would shoot guns into the sky on easter and/or Walpurgis night to shoot down all the witches flying about but apparently americans do it for fun and in the current year

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Wouldn't it be cheaper to use blanks if you're literally just firing wildly into the air to make noise?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You're the expert on shooting blanks you tell me

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If you can't wantonly murder someone with a falling bullet what's even the point of shooting a gun. They crave blood y'know

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Sunswipe posted:

Wouldn't it be cheaper to use blanks if you're literally just firing wildly into the air to make noise?

No man wants to be shooting blanks.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

No man wants to be shooting blanks.

on the contrary... some people pay for the privilege

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i like to cut out the middleman and just toss a bunch of lead and other heavy metals around outside

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

I think it's wild the people that say poo poo like "I don't want America to be like the middle east" will spend hundreds of dollars to make a whole night of war noise for those of us with real PTSD.

(they want america to be like the middle east.)

(but with jesus/christianity written in place of every muhammed/islam. no content change, just swap the label.)

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Specifically the worst parts of the Middle East, those wackos want an ISIS style caliphate.

Not An Arsonist
May 5, 2014

It was on fire when I got here
My family grew up on an apple orchard forever ago and we came into possession of a whole bunch of 12 gauge flares to help with deer. They are bright red and make noise, don't go too far into the wild blue yonder, and are a great compromise between wanting fireworks and loud gun noises. I'll be sad when they are gone since i'm not sure where you could get more, and even if they do still exist i doubt they are cheap.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

America.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Growing up we had a strict rule about staying inside after 10:30 on NYE because of our dipshit redneck neighbors shooting their stupid guns in the air. We'd hear the bullets bounce off the roof randomly all night, mostly shotgun pellets and poo poo.

Now where I live I can't tell if it's gunshots or fireworks, so movin on up!

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

Empty Sandwich posted:

on the contrary... some people pay for the privilege

Worth every last penny.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/bestofnextdoor/status/1344821347906592769?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

And we are certain that a gun crime is incoming? I can't even imagine horses hoarding guns and ammunition, much less fortifying a small compound.