Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Intruder posted:

This thread is already going to sick places

Mayo in and of itself is bad, but it's absurdly versatile and serves as a base for a lot of really good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
It's also the base for a bunch of great aiolis

And you can use it in place of butter on the outsides of your grilled cheese to great effect

Also: Season the poo poo out of it and use it to coat chicken breasts. Works surprisingly well.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

seiferguy posted:

A few months ago we had the mayo on grilled cheese discussion and it was... controversial to say the least.

I am pro mayo on grilled cheese for the record. Provided you mix in some garlic into it.

I've done it plenty, but still prefer butter. I'm just saying the stuff is crazy versatile, so it's worth having around. I don't think I've willingly put just straight-up meant-to-be-consumed-as-is mayo on anything in ... years.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Grittybeard posted:

This is basically alabama white sauce isn't it?

Sort of, but I'm talking about using it pre-cooking. You season the mayo (garlic/salt/pepper/rosemary is nice), then coat the chicken breasts, then grill 'em. It's a really effective way to keep the seasoning on the chicken and keep the chicken from sticking.

Also works if you're looking to bread something. Mayo can help make some bomb rear end chicken tenders.

Edit: This is totally unrelated but after almost fourteen years of using these loving forums I just found out that highlighting text and hitting Ctrl+P creates spoiler tags automatically. game changer, imo

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 1, 2021

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Florida's sitting on limestone, you can't tunnel through it without everything collapsing immediately inward

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Angel had a great final season capped with an incredible series finale. Buffy had a great series finale and then decided to make two more seasons over on UPN (which, I mean, gave us the musical and "Conversations with Dead People," so).

anyway I'll see myself out

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
The Hitchhiker's Guide series is among my favorites. Can't even tell you how many times I've read through it.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

god drat i cackled at this

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Braksgirl posted:

I made it through Season 1 of Schitt's Creek. It gets good now, right? Please tell me it does.

I actively hated the first 2+ seasons, but somewhere around mid-season three something just kinda clicked and I ended up really liking everything after that. I have no idea why it worked out that way.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I've gotta watch Fleabag, I've heard some really spectacular things

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Qwijib0 posted:

Schitts creek is great because starting mid-run at the end of every episode, even those with uncomfortable humor or dark points, you end on an uplift and all the characters are genuinely good.

Counter point: Moira is absolutely intolerable. She actively brings the whole show down for me, and it only very slightly improves even in the seasons I genuinely enjoy. O'Hara does an incredible job, but oh my GOD do I loving hate her character. And I get she's meant to be that kind of character, to some extent, but still.

Everybody else is wonderful, though. Even Roland, after a while. ❤️ Twyla ❤️

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
This time last year I was about four months removed from open heart surgery and dealing with a lot of just ... general malaise? It's a pretty normal thing for heart surgery patients to feel depressed after their operations, and some form of it hit me without my realizing it. I was okay, but just sort of going through the motions. Once the pandemic started and we all began working from home, it flipped everything on its head enough for me to snap out of it a bit and become more productive and enjoy my hobbies and such. My job is such that some days are 12 hours long and some days are 20 minutes long, but it's all very easily done from home and I consider it a pretty fair trade.

The past year has been way harder on my partner than it has on me. I've been just fine with quarantine, because I was very much an introverted, not-very-social person before this all started. She's the opposite, and—combined with her job as a mental health care provider—it has been pretty brutal. We're making it work, which is made easier by the fact that we very much love being around one another.

One thing I'm trying to do this year is get my weight under control. The combination of two months of postoperative recovery, depression, the holiday season, and then the quarantine meant I went from 192 (already not great) to 217 (straight-up Real Bad). I've fiddled with my diet and exercise schedule to the point where I think I'm losing weight at a steady, sustainable pace. I started a week into January, and weighed in at 209 as of this morning.

Between that, my podcast, and fiddling with TMM again here and there, I'm realizing that goals and creative endeavors are just kinda what keeps me satisfied.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Silly Burrito posted:

Don't hold out, post that whale tail.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

BlindSite posted:

You don't think there were some politically motivated reactions to current events that maybe got a little out of hand on the other side in the last twelve months?

oh cool this bullshit again

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Leperflesh posted:

My new t-shirt arrived

that's a drat fine shirt

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I could give or take MCU stuff (like, I enjoy it, but I also don't care a ton about it), but Logan is absolutely fantastic. It strips away all the flashiness and power fantasy bullshit and gives you something much more grounded and gritty and "real" than nearly anything else in the realm of superhero movies. What does living for several hundred years in a nearly indestructible body mean when things start to break down? What does being the most powerful psychic on the planet mean if you're suffering from Alzheimer's? What is the greatest possible distance we can draw between a person's highest highs and lowest lows?

Great movie even if you couldn't care less about X-Men or superheroes in general. Sort of like how you didn't even remotely have to like or know about professional wrestling to enjoy (or appreciate, I guess, because I dunno if 'enjoy' is the right word) The Wrestler.

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 7, 2021

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Yeah you have to go pretty far down the ladder on MCU movies before you get to stuff that isn't enjoyable on any level.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Kalli posted:

I'm just saying, if we're gonna get pandered to 90's style, then bring back Daria

They're doing this. Jodie's getting her own series, which is being run by some talented folks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jodie_(TV_series)

Supposedly it's the first of several spinoffs being kicked around right now? I'll believe it when I see it, I guess.

Edit: Also, Daria's still extremely relevant and worth watching. It hasn't aged poorly by any stretch.

i make a podcast about it and only regret my decision once every few months

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 8, 2021

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Someone relatively recently painted a huge portrait on a canvas that was on the ground during her performance. I was impressed by that.

That was Halsey, who is awesome

Also Phoebe Bridgers (the aforementioned guitar smasher) owns, she appeals directly to the 17-year-old "this music just gets me" emo shitbird forever within and I love it

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Intruder posted:

The juiced ball favors turning warning track power into homeruns. Judge or Bellinger hitting one 480 feet instead of 440 isn't changing homerun totals much

Although yes they do probably get some extra homeruns out of it, but not enough to break records

Also more players are just straight-up trying to hit home runs, now. Launch angle statistics and all that.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
My cat absolutely knows how to meowl loudly, and he will when we have to drive him somewhere, but mostly he just chirps and squeaks. He rules.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Could you in theory just run out the entire quarter in one play as Bo just running around the field?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Every person I’ve known in my adult life who owned and rode a motorcycle either suffered a serious accident or had multiple “very close call” situations.

Granted that’s only like 13 people but that still seems like a high batting average.

I desperately want the experience of riding a motorcycle but I don't trust other drivers enough to not kill me

Edit: also I'm a heart patient on blood thinners now, so

Also unrelated but the second dose of the vaccine is kicking my fuckin rear end

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
300 is big dumb bullshit and that's okay

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Bird in a Blender posted:

Getting out of the shower and then realizing that your wife threw the towel in the hamper is fun.

that's when you walk right up to her and shake yourself dry like a dog

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

GD_American posted:

Pfuck Pfizer Pfonies, Make Yourself a Moderna Man

you have made a powerful enemy on this day

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
McElroy content ranges from meh to outstanding. They've produced some of the funniest poo poo I've ever seen or listened to over the past 10+ years, but they've also got a lot of content you can just not bother with. And like all things popular on the Internet, they have a largely intolerable fanbase. It's weird because it used to be one of the most chill and positive fanbases around, but then it just started eating itself.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Intruder posted:

Well I definitely got the creeping arm soreness. Didn't start for a couple hours but pretty achy now. Anyone else who got that, how long did it take to go away?

Mine was sore for a day or two. It was only a problem (which is to say limiting) for the first day, though. After that it was just annoying.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

General Dog posted:

Show me where it says in the Constitution where a dog can't vote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt40yL31mdc

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

fartknocker posted:

And then there’s hockey :gritin:

Obligatory classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYjhaTG49Ws

Excuse me, sir, but it's not a proper Brawl unless the teams have just barely enough people to finish the loving game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py5a999-rqA

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I love Skittles so much but they make my weak-rear end teeth hurt for like three days :c

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
IIRC Johnson and Diesel legitimately hate each other. I can very much see them getting into a pissing contest over nobody getting to look bigger in more shots.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Leperflesh posted:

Most of the time when a cat gets out they're within 100 feet of the home. THeir instinct in an unfamiliar place is to hide. Best way to get them back is leave the front door standing open with their favorite food just inside, where they can probably smell it from outside.

This can be quite inconvenient if it's cold out, you have other pets, small children, etc. but I've seen and had it work repeatedly.

Yup, exactly this. They generally don't go far if they're not used to the outside. It's why so many of these stories end with "I looked everywhere and the little poo poo just showed up at the door the next morning." They're not Homeward Bound-ing it out there, they're just loving around thirty feet out of sight.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Silly Burrito posted:

Yeah, we play a lot of Champ'd Up (drawing game) and Quiplash 3 from it. My only concern with it is if you want to share with people over the internet, not sure how you'd do that with a Switch (does it allow Twitch or Discord streaming from it?)

You can do it through an Elgato, but that's a pretty complex setup for Tuesday night chicanery

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Its Rinaldo posted:

Why are there not staff swarming the tank?

the last guy who went near it got knocked the gently caress out

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I liked Tron: Legacy.

It's not, like, great or anything, but I had a lot of fun with it and the soundtrack is stellar.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Independence Day is an absolutely terrible movie, but it's a lovely kind of terrible and a whole lot of big dumb fun.

Speculation: People in their mid-30s (like me) love it because it harkens back to a simpler, pre-9/11 time when we didn't have a very real cataclysmic world-changing event to which we could compare our big crazy action movie setpieces. Before 9/11, we got Independence Day. After 9/11, we got Spielberg's War of the Worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
My favorite terrible movie is Southland Tales, or "What if Someone Gave the Donnie Darko Guy a Budget and He Made Something Even More Inscrutable and Visionary with an Absolutely Insane Cast List"

Edit: Like seriously, Richard Kelly still hasn't crawled out from under the failure of Southland Tales and it's a loving bummer