Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

Manoueverable posted:

I finally finished the Blue Lions route in Three Houses, and wow there is so much I still don't understand about the plot, what the hell is going on :psyduck:

e: I should add it's the first one I completed and I have no idea which one to do next, in part because I forgot about the DLC until like halfway through this route.

For what it's worth the Golden Deer route seemed like it had a ton of world-building plot and background

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
https://twitter.com/AlphabetWorkers/status/1346050124544233473?s=19

Hell yeah. Obviously it's not like Google developers are oppressed or anything, but it'll be good to have an organization that can try to keep management in line with regards to social justice, treatment of contractors, and suchlike.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

Laughing my rear end off at Rogen replying

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Can you computer touchers explain to me how the balance of outsourcing works?

In terms of software development, I can partially answer with an anecdote from college. In our "ethics in computer science" class (the existence of which can be left as an exercise for a future time) there was a question asking basically whether one should hire a United States-based developer or one in India, if production is the same but the one in India costs half as much. The answer then was "hire both" because in any viable software company, at the moment, the margins are high enough that it is always profitable and desirable to hire more developers if you can.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
No ending can compare to GOT. It took a show that might be the closest thing we've had as a country (world?) in the last decade or two to a universal media experience, and turned it into something so awful and toxic that it has disappeared entirely from the public consciousness.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

Spoeank posted:

magic, got it!

In addition to the memes and Reddit inflating a relatively small cap stock, there was some reasonable reasons why a short squeeze would happen eventually. A ridiculously high percentage of GME shares were being shorted and since short positions have infinite downside (because you owe the stock price and stocks can theoretically go up infinitely) people holding short positions generally have to close out and buy the shares once the price gets high enough, as a sort of stop loss to make sure they don't lose infinite money. That's what created the feedback loop if I'm understanding it correctly

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

a neat cape posted:

THANKS BIDEN

You get two dogs into the white house and immediately look what happens!

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
Isn't Yang sick with COVID? Could just be a sick meal, though maybe don't post pictures of those on twitter dude (I don't like Yang for other reasons)

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
I started watching The Expanse after a few people recommended it in this thread and I'm enjoying it so far, part way through season 2. I'm curious how an entirely separate culture and language would have developed in the Belt given that there was only 130-something years since the development of the powerful engine that allowed them to go past Mars

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
Laughing my rear end off at the Season 5 finale of The Expanse where they Poochie Alex out of nowhere due to the whole sex pest stuff. I knew something like that was coming but it was hilariously out of nowhere.

Good show, even though I didn't think seasons 4-5 were quite as good as 2-3.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

Freaquency posted:

I heard that there’s absolutely no new information in it so they just try to paint like 2 or 3 different people as “possible killers” even though she likely drowned by accident/suicide. I’ve never been one for the true crime stuff but that seems pretty gross even for that genre.

It's poorly designed. The point of the documentary is "people on the internet trying to solve crimes can be incredibly dumb and harmful, and you shouldn't take them seriously" but it gets there by presenting the opposite viewpoint for the first >50% of the series, just to show where that gets you.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

Athanatos posted:

"at least one shock"

Is there data on the people who did more?

Haha one guy shocked himself 190 times.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

that's a sousaphone you philistine

In marching band we would refer to them interchangeably since they're the same mechanically and in tone (not timbre though).

Trap sprung.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

Janice isn't that bad compared literally every other character on the show in terms of morality.

She's probably top half morality-wise but man, she was just tough to watch.

e: ok maybe not top half, but maybe top 2/3 if you only count adults

opposable thumbs.db fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 2, 2021

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

FizFashizzle posted:

apparently ethereum right now is super expensive because of gas prices?

love to tie my useless commodity to something most of the western world is trying to get rid of

"Gas" in this context does not mean gasoline. It has something to do with the cost of transactions and computing power, but I don't really know beyond that

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
Y'all weren't kidding about Banshee being the most violent and Horny show.

In the first two episodes: 
- three in-world sex scenes
- at least a couple sex scene flashbacks
- random motorcyclist shot 
- two gangsters and a sheriff killed in a bar fight 
- protagonist fighting four guys at once that were beating up some amish guys
- 1.5 gangsters exploded by a bomb
- gangster getting shot after hitting protagonist with a pipe 
- two drug dealers getting shot
- teenager ODs on tainted drugs, dies
- drug dealer has finger fed to boss's attack dog (onscreen) then killed by dog (offscreen)

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
So, some idiot 19-year-old sneakerhead reseller did an interview with Bloomberg where he discussed how he and others bot various sites to get limited-edition Nike sneakers which they then resell at large markups since there is limited stock. He apparently knows which ones will be in high demand just due to growing up in Portland and "knowing the right people"

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2021-sneaker-investment or https://archive.is/1nNug if you can't see it

He also discusses how he botted a couple dozen PS5s for resale, though he "only" got 24 (to be fair, I know the botting / reselling community decently well and 24 is small potatoes).

Turns out, if you read to the end of the article, his mom is a Nike exec and he has a credit card in her name for his reselling business. Oops!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-01/nike-executive-abruptly-leaves-after-report-about-son-s-business or https://archive.is/PQvbt if you can't see it.

She got fired within a day.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

Thaddius the Large posted:

Managing to tank your parent’s career with your blatant scam is some SSJ failson

Yep, when all he had to do was "not talk to the media". There are people out there doing just as much volume as he is, or much more -- with items like the PS5s as well, but you don't hear about them because they keep their mouths shut.

I even made a ton of money over the last couple years reselling items that aren't even particularly hard to get, e.g. iPads (wholesale, usually shipped abroad). My margins were much smaller since I wasn't doing things like PS5s, but it was a lot easier to get the items, I could wholesale them in bulk, and I didn't feel bad about jacking up the market on limited goods like the PS5s.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
After hearing of the book Ordinary Men I went down a bit of a Wikipedia rabbit hole and I saw this:

There's a somewhat well-known English holocaust-denier-"historian" / Nazi sympathizer named David Irving who had a daughter with schizophrenia who lost both her legs in a car accident, and later killed herself.

At her funeral, someone sent flowers with a card that said "Truly a merciful death, Philipp Bouhler and friends" .

Bouhler was the nazi that led the euthanasia of disabled people.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

FizFashizzle posted:

the catered lunches are a trap

As someone who has had both food and unlimited PTO, both are a trap on the whole. However, unlimited PTO can be great if

1. You don't feel awkward about using it heavily (you should not feel awkward)
2. Your manager (or whoever) is willing to approve heavy usage.

If both of these are true it's great, however most of the time one or both fails.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/apr/06/new-york-penn-15-skyscraper-andrew-cuomo

Whoever wrote this headline knew what they were doing

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
Got my second shot about 25 hours ago (I'm a Pfizer Pfellow) and my body and mind feel as if they were moving through molasses

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
It has to be Davis's tweet, no other way would it still be up and even pinned

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
Welp, I showed my SO The Expanse and she watched all of the first three seasons in three days. I guess she likes it.

In her defense she's still recovering from cochlear implant surgery so she's supposed to rest

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
They do champagne in F1 as well so I think it's just Indy being weird here (just started watching the Netflix F1 docuseries and it's entertaining).

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
Kona is basically the size of a cat

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
Politics-wise, the way to go is to choose Illinois, Iowa, SD, and ND. I haven't done the math but I think Illinois would dominate the rest population-wise (meaning the result would still be more left leaning) and while the country would lose 14 Democratic House reps and only 11 Republican house reps, the Senate 6-2 skew would more than make up for it.

e: yeah, if you combine those four states Biden still wins by 700k votes. There might be a better combination of states but I think this is the right track. Maybe something like IL, IA, MO, and AR.

opposable thumbs.db fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 3, 2021

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

Braksgirl posted:

I would die. I can’t live in a house that’s over like 75 degrees.

I was also in an 80-82 house growing up but that was in Phoenix (I think Qwijib0 is also in AZ) and the humidity difference between AZ and LA is.... notable.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
Dog is at my place tonight because I have much thicker windows and a quieter neighborhood in general. At my SO's place it seemed like there were fireworks every 3 minutes, and every time the little 12-pound Maltipoo wants to go out on the balcony and bark / yowl ferociously at them. Poor girl.

Quieter here, though she has still been set off once or twice.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
It's a shame that Ohtani's benefit to the team is basically just "you have a good pitcher, a great batter, and they only take up one roster spot". I feel like having a pitcher hit so well should convey some sort of additional bonus beyond the roster spot.

opposable thumbs.db fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 8, 2021

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
I am hoping that the NBA rigs game 6 so that game 7 happens. If not, at least this time when the Suns lose the finals in six games to a generational NBA talent, said talent is very likable

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

Just saying Giannis is much more likeable than Jordan

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm the 9% who got vaccinated and think they got a chip implanted

Maybe some people are just tired of having to think / make decisions for themselves

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
Isn't it like that to prevent toilet water from splashing your butt? I think the Germans use that too

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
Wow, I didn't know that cryptocurrency had been such a big deal for so many years!

Looks like a great trip though, for real.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

At first I thought the new name was kind of lame, but after seeing this it seems pretty neat

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

Intruder posted:

it's fun how biden took on a more leftist platform for the election with things like m4a, a $15 minimum wage and student loan forgiveness then immediately dropped all that poo poo once in office and liberals started crowing about bernie bro losers anytime someone objected

Also fun how this was entirely predictable, and all the leftists I know just assumed this would happen (don't forget the $2k, er, $1.4k checks)

Unrelated, also in the "predictable" category but more amusing:

https://twitter.com/deesix/status/1420172102326374402?s=19

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug
Yeah it might not have all of the details, but there are definitely always strange nerds who will mindlessly defend anything Musk. That being said, it does seem unlikely that it was as simple as the original story claims, though I am inclined to believe that the OP is not lying given that he is a team lead at Google with something like 10-15 employees under him.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Post 9/11 was the first time in my life I felt like people were staring a hole right through me wherever I went, even if at the end of the day no one personally gave me poo poo.

I'm assuming you have brown skin, that people were being racist toward you?

I was in middle school at the time and my friend's uncle was shot and killed in a hate crime a few days after 9/11 (he was Sikh). So awful for so many reasons, and a big reason why middle school me didn't fall for the American patriotism post-9/11 schtick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
Pillbug

Bird in a Blender posted:

Do-Rite Donuts in Chicago makes a very good old fashioned donut, but they are expensive as gently caress.

Visited Chicago recently and can confirm; they were amazing. Expensive enough to keep them from being more than an occasional treat (if I lived there) which is probably for the best.