Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
How do you get food poisoning from donuts? Unless someone wipes a gross hand on it or something... grats on eating minute amounts of poop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Freaquency posted:

Isn’t it all bullshit about fetal stem cells from aborted fetuses getting used in the production of the vaccines? They heard it somewhere and they’re never going to let it go because it gives them a “valid” reason to not get it, even if it’s blatantly false.

I have not worked in vaccine development, but there is an extremely common cell line used for a lot of scientific work including vaccine development derived from embryonic cells... that was made something like 50 years ago. It is not like they need a constant stream of aborted fetuses, just one from 50 years ago who was not even American and there is no record whether it was from an abortion or miscarriage or whatever.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

hifi posted:

thats a fascinating bit of trivia too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HeLa, although by the "not even american" line you're probably talking about something else.

And HeLa cells are from an adult, not a fetus. HEK293s and derivatives are what I was referring to (and likely what people are referring to when complaining about fetuses in antibodies or vaccines or whatever, but I guess it could be something else), the HEK stands for human embryonic kidney. A few months ago I made them pump out a ton of virus carrying a gene and I can then use the virus to infect other cells, introducing the gene into cells that do not normally have it. Hopefully not my cells.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Both my wife and I have 99 degree fevers. I guess it is time to get Covid tested again, even though we have both had Covid and been vaccinated. Kids seem fine but might as well make a family trip out of it. Started feeling flushed/feverish at work and the forehead infrared thermometer there read 97.8, got home and was 99.3. When I got vaccinated I got up to 104 and the work thermometer read ... 97.8. Somehow I don't think that thermometer is helping much. Under normal circumstances it always reads as 97.7.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Nick Jr. Face posted:

I found an apartment in Pittsburgh via Padmapper that I am interested in applying for. In addition to the application fee, they want a security deposit as well, just so they can hold the apartment for me and speed up the application process. I won't be able to tour it anytime soon, but based on the pictures and video alone I am still very interested in applying for it.

Anyways, when the leasing manager initially contacted me to go over the application process, I asked if I would get my security deposit back in the event that my application gets rejected; a simple yes/no question right? The response I get back is a lecture on how a security deposit is a sign of my commitment to rent the apartment and not to expect a refund if I am approved and change my mind about renting the apartment. I replied as politely as possible without saying "no loving poo poo, I know how the process works and was just asking a simple question". They reply saying that if I am sure about renting the apartment then I should apply and pay the fee and deposit.

I have the means necessary to apply for the apartment, but that email exchange left a sour taste in my mouth. They also want the fee and deposit paid via Venmo. It's been ages since I applied for an apartment, so Venmo transactions may be the norm now for all I know, but that still seems pretty shady to me.

Ask to see the place in person to confirm they actually have a key for it. It is a super common scam in high cost of living areas where a house/apartment is posted under market rate but you need to pay some sort of deposit quickly or they will give it to someone else. It is not too hard for someone to go on zillow or whatever and just post some pictures of a place they do not actually own.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

I assume the purpose is to make drivers lose income, and infractions for things that are not the drivers fault are a perk, not a bug.

Also, what size woman wears size 6 shoes for the tinder or whatever creep? Outside of foot binding I am picturing someone under 5 feet tall.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Braksgirl posted:

My MIL has a size 6.5 foot and she's 5'5". She just has tiny feet and she's very proud of that. I'm a couple inches shorter than her and my feet are like a size 8 and she thinks my feet are absolutely massive. It's just genetics, man. Who cares what size shoe someone wears?

Well, not me, mainly that guy from the weirdo dating profile from a few pages back. I was just wondering because my mom is 5'2" and wears size 8s, and it is not like her feet look abnormally big or anything and figured there was some correlation between height and shoe size. To go against this theory, my dad and I are exactly the same height and build but I wear size 12 shoes and he is in like 8.5s :iiam:.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I would watch a 10 part documentary on the people this convinces to get the shot.

Probably significant overlap between those people and the person who learned the holocaust was bad by superimposing a my little pony thing on top of it.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
My mom is 70 and scheduled her booster shot for this week and she started ranting about how she wishes Covid was deadlier to kill more anti-vax people because for the most part they and their anti-vax politicians are not being punished enough for being dumb and keeping the pandemic around forever. I wonder what her username is.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 22, 2021

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

BlindSite posted:

I'm speaking to lenders today about refinancing my home loan and that poo poo is kind of exhausting but maaan there's some money to be saved if you're willing to go through the gauntlet. I only have a small (relatively) loan but I could end up lowering my repayment by about a hundred dollars a week and saving 25k over the course of the loan if the figures all break right.

We just refinanced 6 or so months ago, and while it was kind of a pain to get moving we are saving something like 25% of our initial mortgage a month (though since we were 7 or so years into our old mortgage it will actually cost slightly more over the full 30 years, but I would rather have the cash in hand now).

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 24, 2021

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
I heard Californians will be welcomed as liberators true/false?

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

SundayMoney posted:

The way I look at it is if I was going for a 6 figure job then sure I would buy a suit but anything else a pair of dress pants/slacks and a polo or button down full arm length dress shirt should be fine.

I always felt bad for the people that would come in and interview with me in full suits and it's like dude this is a $12/he job I appreciate it but it's overkill.

It always seems like the opposite in the bay area, where 6 figure jobs are tech people or scientists dressed like a 90's middle schooler in a printed t-shirt and jorts, while someone wearing a button up shirt and khakis probably works at best buy or something.

I always heard to wear 1 level above expected, so if it is just permanently casual, wear slacks and a nice button up shirt, but a tie/jacket is overkill.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 25, 2021

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

General Dog posted:

An episode and a half into Midnight Mass, I’m noticing a lot of the townspeople seem to be younger actors in old age makeup. Does this telegraph the twist that’s coming?

I noticed the same thing. I think I have seen 3.5 or so episodes and I can kind of assume where it is going but it has not been confirmed to me yet. Good show.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Recalling when Feinstein was primaried from the left in 2018 but then the guy did not campaign at all, yet still almost won because all of the Republican areas voted for him because at least he was not that lib Feinstein. Horseshoe theory where the right are the ones stack overflowing to the left for once.

Also, electric cars are good. I have a Volt and with about a 35 mile round trip to work I get home with 20 miles of battery left, and it can be fully recharged overnight using just a 120v outlet. Every few months it will automatically override the battery and run the gas engine just to move stuff through it in maintenance mode, but I pretty much put gas in it maybe 1-2 times a year.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 28, 2021

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is the new followup to the Hill House/Bly Manor series any good?

I don't think it is a follow-up in the same sense that Bly Manor was for Hill House, outside of being Mike Flanagan and having a few similar actors. It is good though, out of those series I would rank them Hill House > Midnight Mass >>>>> Bly Manor. There is lots of talking but it did not bother me at all, apparently I like that.

I had never heard of the show, just randomly opened Netflix the day it came out, watched 3.5 episodes one day and the rest the next day.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Hot Diggity! posted:

I wish I told teenage through early-20s me to wear earplugs to shows because mid-30s me is not a fan of the tinnitus that I now have as a result

Same, but instead of tinnitus it just feels like I can't hear poo poo. Wouldn't want to look like a dork at some concert though! I always remember a friend telling me that if a concert was too loud, you just need to break in your ears. Also remember the morning after a show shower where you cannot hear any high sounds and the water sounds hollow. I don't actually know if I have hearing loss, but I would be unsurprised if I did.

Also, for coyote talk, half of my Nextdoor (once you remove the saw a minority walking to the train station and called the police posts) is people spotting coyotes (often eating a cat) and the other half is people looking for their cat, we should make an app to link these people up. I even had a coyote walk past my house in the middle of the day and it would have had to go through miles of urban space to even get there.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Oh no, now someone who lives in Placer County will threaten to move to Idaho.

Please, stop, don't go.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

The Wild Man of YOLO posted:

My wife says to remember that they're ordinary people who poop

Speak for yourself.

Also, only people with a newly minted PhD tend to be very uptight about it, most of the time they just have a drinking problem and don't really care. If someone with a PhD tells you to call them Dr they either just graduated a week ago or they are a massive prick.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
I have 0 interest in pod casts and only listen to music. Screw learning and bettering yourself.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
I am looking for a game that I can play a few minutes at a time with no dumb story to deal with and figured Diablo 2 remaster would work, but then realized that I could probably do the same thing with the Diablo 3 that I already own and not spend $40 on a game that I already bought 21 years ago. Just picking up shiny objects to kill time.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

Slay the Spire

That is what I have been using. Getting kind of tired of it though.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Seems like a Tim Robinson bit.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Freaquency posted:

Didn’t someone here go to UC Santa Barbara? I guess pull your alumni donations or whatever: https://www.independent.com/2021/10/28/architect-resigns-in-protest-over-ucsb-mega-dorm/

I went there like 20 years ago and there was only university housing for something like 10% of students. Not sure a jail / fire death trap is what is needed though.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Car got crushed by a spooky tree branch for halloween. OOOOooooOOOooo. I was wondering why a fireman was ringing the doorbell at 7am.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Was a juror in a DUI trial right before covid and they did not care about clothes at all. Every time I have had to sit in the courthouse for jury selection there has always been 1-2 people who are clearly incompetent/nuts, but they all got dismissed by the judge, which is somewhat reassuring.

My dad has wanted to be a juror forever after retiring, and he never has. Maybe they can smell who wants to be there and who doesn't, like cats.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
It took 10 minutes during deliberation to convince a juror that math is actually something that exists and it is not just guessing at numbers because apparently their math skills were so weak it might as well be wizardry. Also another juror (during deliberation for a DUI trial) started talking about all the times they drunk drove (a lot) and all of the car accidents they had been in (a lot). I am sure the prosecution would have loved to know that ahead of time! We also got hung up for 2 days in deliberation because the judge would not define an ambiguously worded charge enhancement to us and we were not allowed to look it up. We also did not know what the penalty for it was, so we were unsure if we were spending all that time arguing for a $500 fine or 20 years in jail.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Pretty sure we get like $15 a day or something insanely tiny that was probably last updated in 1920 or something. I think for a full week + of jury duty I got ~ $140.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Tulalip Tulips posted:

My grandpa got off jury duty repeatedly by talking about how much he hates cops. I have only ever been summoned never made it past the holding room at the county court for potential jurors. I read a 1/3 of the Tale of Genji over the three days since I had nothing better to do.

Saw the opposite happen where someone got released by talking about how much they love cops and how their whole family are cops and they really want to be a cop and they would never rule against or doubt anything a cop ever said.

Also the DUI case I was on was pretty slam dunk where there was video of the cop following the guy swerving all over the place until they plowed into the back of a big rig, then video of the driver on the roadside talking about how drunk they were.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Got up to 104 with the first Moderna, second was only 100. Thought I was going to have a smooth go of it, but just did not get any side effects until 28 hours later.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Qwijib0 posted:

Y'all should stop doing it. Not changing clocks, highly recommended

We voted on it a few years ago and I think keeping daylight savings time year round won, but then it just disappeared into the ether :shrug:.

Edit: https://ballotpedia.org/California_Proposition_7,_Legislative_Power_to_Change_Daylight_Saving_Time_Measure_(2018)

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
My wife is from the east coast and it used to be a novelty when visiting to get Dunkin Donuts, but their coffee and donuts are both bad, not really sure what they have going for them. Now there are some on the west coast including less than a mile from my house. Tim Hortons is better for cheap east coast coffee.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 10, 2021

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
I think I might have found SA from Seanbaby, but I am not entirely sure. I recall the first SA article I read was about Airports and I am guessing it was either late 1999 or early 2000. I took an HTML class senior year of high school and it was basically an hour of playing GTA 1 or Quake 2, browsing Seanbaby, SA (frontpage), or some other equally edgy late 90's/early 2000 site. I think I finally bought an account for the P-P-P-Powerbook saga, but that also might just be when I first got a credit card.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 12, 2021

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Used to do local goon meets and went to bars and such with cool people but then got a GF and stopped showing up like all flakey goons do and now I have not talked to or seen a goon in like 13 years because I am terrible at keeping in touch with people.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
There is an In and Out two blocks from my house and it has a long line almost all day. I have lived here 8 years and gone maybe 3 times. The burgers are decent, but the other things on the menu are pretty average. One thing that is lost in description is that In and Out is cheap, it is cheaper than McDonalds at this point, other "gourmet fast food" burgs like The Habit or 5 guys tend to be like 3x or more the price. For quality/$ it is great, but it is not like the best burger you will ever have.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 16, 2021

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
My kids both ate fine until about 2.5 at which point they got strong opinions on what to eat, usually waiting until you buy some Costco sized package of something they love before deciding they will never eat it again.

Also, just heard a rat trap snap in the attic and now there is a bunch of thumping... I don't want an animal to suffer, but I don't really want to go up there and have to try and humanely end some rat? with a precision instrument (a hammer?).

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Got a booster and have had a massive headache all day, but trying to avoid taking tylenol. I like to think I am maximally protected from Covid, with my dosing regimen being Covid -> Moderna -> Moderna -> Moderna.

The problem with Vegas for me is that once you have been there for a day, you have seen everything that there is to see, especially since I am not a big gambler or drinker. I did see a live show that had boobs so Las Vegas might be a land of contrasts.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 15, 2021

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
I have a feeling covid is wayyyyy more prevalent than we know right now. Look at all the football players getting asymptomatic covid that is only detected because they have mandatory weekly covid testing, and extrapolate to the rest of the population that does not have mandatory testing. At some point vaccines will be less needed just because everyone will have had exposure to covid independent of vaccination status.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Took about 2 hours to open presents because we had to bargain with the 5 year old to open a new present instead of playing with each one as it is opened and from both kids fighting over the same cheap toy rather than just playing with a new one.

Also, my MIL has been talking about my FIL not feeling well and losing some weight, but she sent a picture and he looks like he has lost 100 pounds (unintentionally) since we last visited 5 months ago. He has always been heavy and now he looks almost skeletal.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Amy Pole Her posted:

Good lord just heard about a law school friend who went through some insane side effects from his second dose. Paralyzed and after time + physical therapy, he’s now walking again. I’m shook as hell.

Doctor folk it was some sort of 3 letter disease ending in S, and it was his immune system attacking itself. Any idea? I can ask again, i just kinda blanked when he dropped the bomb on me when we were catching up

:gb2gbs:?

Edit - Also, a day late to Hades chat, but how different are runs, and how long are runs? I am thinking about grabbing it even though I have not paid that much for a game in years ($16 whole dollars, that is like a Rainbow Roll). I think part of what makes Slay the Spire so good is that runs can be completely different from each other based on the cards and items you get. On the other hand, something like Enter the Gungeon was fun, but ultimately the runs play out about the same and the main difference is whether it is easier or harder depending on what you get and I don't see how it is possible to sink the same hours into it as StS.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Putting on the east coast feed so the kids will go to bed at 9 while thinking they stayed up until Midnight.