Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Yakuza 0 - 100% completion

It's cruel to lock the gold gun behind catfights, outrun, roulette, bowling, and the bad hobo games, and then not let you use it on legend difficulty, but at least I got to play disco, fantasy zone, karaoke, fishing, and the good hobo games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

welcome posted:

Yakuza 0 - 100% completion

It's cruel to lock the gold gun behind catfights, outrun, roulette, bowling, and the bad hobo games, and then not let you use it on legend difficulty, but at least I got to play disco, fantasy zone, karaoke, fishing, and the good hobo games.

the bad hobo games tend to go quickly, at least. congrats! I think the hardest thing about 100 percenting 0 is the pool and the baseball but that the most ttediousone is the weapons. it takes an ocean of money for very little reward. did you buy the 10 billion yen statue? Yakuza 0 is an absolutely godly game. I might have to play it again when I finally finish the series

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Bicyclops posted:

the bad hobo games tend to go quickly, at least. congrats! I think the hardest thing about 100 percenting 0 is the pool and the baseball but that the most ttediousone is the weapons. it takes an ocean of money for very little reward. did you buy the 10 billion yen statue? Yakuza 0 is an absolutely godly game. I might have to play it again when I finally finish the series

I got so tired of the lifetime winnings screen after every gambling event so they felt a lot more tedious to me than the weapons. Hobo Yahtzee with all the unskippable dice rolls in particular really wore me down. Bowling was the worst for me, it took like a month to do the split games.

I did buy the statue. Definitely going to try a legendary run if I ever finish 5/6/7. What a game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

What a game. My only personal pet peeve is that I'd love for it to have a better distribution of warp rooms, especially next to save points.

Other than that, near flawless. My favorite thing is that it's not hard enough to require you to get The Best Souls, or rather that a "suboptimal" one is perfectly sufficient to win. So I actually like the drop rates, they're high enough to guarantee a good selection each playthrough, but if you don't farm, the selection will always be different.

This time, I lucked into a Shadow Knight drop first try and completely shredded the final boss. Also, Triton for strength.

Finally, Julius is the first time in the whole series they managed to get a "rival" fight right, and how drat right they got it. What an awesome boss!!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Metro 2033. Kick rear end game, might be my last game beat for the year unless I can finish Last Light quick

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Beat Despot's Game, kinda, technically. I could certainly play more of it and I probably will, but I also scored at the top of my bracket during the post-game pvp, so like, uh, I guess I did pretty well.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
finished Reign of Chaos and just watched the end credits. They're cute. It's hard to imagine I ever really had problems with it but I am a lot stronger player of pretty much everything at this point. That era of blizz games really were so much improved by their expacs it's unreal cf brood war. A total lack of early and mid-game non-hero healing for at least 2 races is bullshit imo. and the stealth levels were godawful. It's a great mechanic if you're playing a game built around it but when its just shoehorned in it always feels like it

e: oh also did the bohemian campaign in age2 de. Super fun if you like gunpowder and archers

Simply Simon posted:

Finally, Julius is the first time in the whole series they managed to get a "rival" fight right, and how drat right they got it. What an awesome boss!!

you didnt like the one in cotm? Julius is better but that one isn't bad

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

you didnt like the one in cotm? Julius is better but that one isn't bad
I think CotM's movement is just a little too clunky for a fight like that to really sing. Because it's well designed, Hugh is not a bad fight, but he's every bit as slow and deliberate as you are (or rather, he has to "turn on" sprinting like Nathan), and that means the best tactic is to wait for him to stroll up slowly. Thsn you literally walk away from his tiny dagger, turn around and hit him.

He has a lot of cool moves, but they're p rare unless you run around like a maniac to provoke him, and that just makes the fight needlessly hard.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Just 100% the Maneater original content. Gonna do that DLC.

Good stuff. I enjoy it a lot but the 7/10 rating it gets in a lot of places is about right. Concept is interesting and silly and the gameplay loop can be fun. But most of it is a pretty shallow collectathon with some very mild upgrade/level up mechanics. Still plenty of fun though if you wanna blow about 8-10 hours on being a bad rear end shark.

I also think the difficulty curve is weird as you're basically powerless against predators for the first 1/4th or so of the game and then you very quickly become an unstoppable killing machine. I think only 2 or 3 encounters gave me any real issue at all after I hit the "adult" stage of life. I'm not usually good at games either so it could possibly be even easier for a lot of you folks.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

OoE does it twice, and back to back too

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I beat the grand campaign of total warhammer 2 using the high elves. Great game

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Monster Bash (episode 1)

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Smt if - reiko route

Not a fan, but at least it's short. You go into the final dungeon at level 40 and exit at like 70 lol. The last zone has half the roster of the game as random encounters

Cubone posted:

Monster Bash (episode 1)

Apogee games own.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 100% museum, no reddit/discord/time traveling

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018

herculon posted:

They've added Reddit to the game?

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Oh wait. Imp Zone Pioneer

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

The Legend of Zelda, First Quest. I will not be doing second quest this time. Moving on to Zelda 2.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
cleared my zelda 1 rando seed. got all but one heart container and didn't have to explore the entire world, looks like there's 16 squares i didn't touch. died 8 times. will roll a new one tomorrow

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Kongming posted:

The Legend of Zelda, First Quest. I will not be doing second quest this time. Moving on to Zelda 2.

Zelda 2 ftw

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Oxenfree

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Harmony of Dissonance - Maxim Mode

I wasn't too sure about this one because Harmony is not the greatest game, so why revisit it with all the exploration taken out? But this was actually very fun. Maxim is incredibly fun to move around with, especially compared to Juste who just cannot compare. Maxim is twice as fast, slides much farther, has a triple jump AND a screw attack that makes him invincible, and attacks super quickly with insane range. He's a glass cannon, but that just makes it more exciting. I blasted through the two castles super quick and obliterated all the bosses, it was a blast. Case in point:

https://twitter.com/SimonSimplex/status/1475574609210593283?s=20

https://twitter.com/SimonSimplex/status/1475575192621486082?s=20

He can also fully heal himself with a button combo I couldn't really get consistent, but mashing helps; and he has a super attack that's even less consistent, and honestly you don't need it, he shreds.

Also, this time I kept my eyes open for even more awesome looking backgrounds and boy does this game deliver.

https://twitter.com/SimonSimplex/status/1476315626285137921

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
24+ Battlefield 5 (Platinum Trophy)

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

1. Amid Evil
2. Link's Awakening Remake
3. Deus Ex Human Revolution
4. Castlevania (NES)
5. Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest
6. Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse
7. Super Castlevania 4
8. Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
9. Monster Hunter Rise
10. Dragon Quest IV
11. Dragon Quest V
12. Chrono Trigger
13. The World Ends With You (DS)
14. Final Fantasy 7 (PS1)
15. Dragon Quest VI
16. Diablo 1 (Sorcerer)
17. Diablo 2 (Paladin/Sorceress)
18. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
19. Mega Man X3
20. Ghost Trick
21. Mega Man Battle Network 3: Blue
22. Metroid Zero Mission
23. Another Metroid 2 Remake
24. Earthbound
25. Shin Megami Tensei (Neutral)
26. Shin Megami Tensei 2 (Law)
27. Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne (True Demon)
28. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (Law, Bonus Ending)
29. Shin Megami Tensei 4 (Neutral)
30. Barkley Shut Up And Jam: Gaiden
31. Shin Megami Tensei if... (Reiko)
32. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor (Law)

I made it my goal to hit a lot of my 'bucket list' games this year and I think I managed it. of this list i've only beaten deus ex and diablo 2 before.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

1. Final Fantasy VII Remake
2. Mega Man 7
3. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening HD
4. Yakuza: Like a Dragon
5. Katamari Damacy: Reroll
6. Crosscode
7. Control
8. Ghost of Tsushima
9. Ape Escape 3
10. Yakuza 3
11. Shantae and the Seven Sirens
12. Ys Seven
13. Disco Elysium
14. Timespinner
15. Catherine: Full Body
16. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
17. Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
18. Ys IX: Monstrum Nox
19. Aggelos
20. Psychonauts 2
21. Cyberpunk 2077
22. Chrono Trigger
23. Gleylancer
24. No More Heroes
25. Ape Escape 2
26. Metroid Dread
27. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD
28. Suikoden

Not bad, but I wanted to get in more RPGs this year, but I just haven't had the time or motivation to power through as many as I wanted this year. I feel like a lot of the stuff I finished this year were short games. My backlogged is clogged right now with longer games.
2022 will be the year of the RPG for me.

Baxate fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 30, 2021

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

herculon posted:

Badass.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
pb'd on tgm1 by about 5 seconds just now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrq5kLZoApI

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
Nothing but respect for tgm players
, grats

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

mycophobia posted:

pb'd on tgm1 by about 5 seconds just now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrq5kLZoApI

sick, congrats dude

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mycophobia posted:

Nice dude

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

mycophobia posted:

Badass

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mycophobia posted:

gently caress yeah, thats sick

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
ty ty

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mycophobia posted:

high level tetris play is unreal to me

also squeaked in one last win before new years by finishing my replay of the frozen throne. campaign's mostly a breeze but that last mission is tough as hell

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

SMT3: Nocturne. great game. does not give a poo poo about you or your time. but it owns

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

mycophobia posted:

so fast 😳

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney. Pretty good. Reminds me of the second Phoenix Wright game in quality, not quite as good as 1 or 3 but still good. I liked the new characters and it was fun to see some older returning ones, I especially liked Ema returning as a jaded, cranky adult detective who turns back into her old self as soon as forensic science comes up. Looking forward to seeing where the series goes from here.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

link's awakening on the game and watch. wonderful game. definitely th last one i beat this year so i'll post my list in a bit

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

1. dragon quest builders 2
2. ai: the somnium files
3. romancing saga 3 - ellen route
4. yakuza 3
5. la-mulana 2
6. dragon quest
7. monster hunter rise (village, guild)
8. bravely default 2
9. SaGa frontier (asellus, blue, riki, lute)
10. yakuza 4
11. dragon quest 3
12. disco elysium
13. rayman legends
14. super mario 3d world + bowser's fury (100 shines)
15. yakuza 5
16. spanky's quest
17. legend of zelda: link to the past (100%)
18. legend of mana (dragoon path)
19. gnosia
20. yakuza 6
21. shovel knight: shovel of hope
22. turltes in tjme snes
23. warioware: get it together
24. yakuza: like a dragon
25. castlevania: aria of sorrow. 100% map, all but one soul
26. prey 2017
27. metroid dread
28. star fox 64 - hard route
29. shin megami tensei 3: nocturne - true demon ending
30. ocarina of time
31. a short hike
32. bloodstained (platinum)
33. link's awakening

good fuckin year

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney. Pretty good. Reminds me of the second Phoenix Wright game in quality, not quite as good as 1 or 3 but still good. I liked the new characters and it was fun to see some older returning ones, I especially liked Ema returning as a jaded, cranky adult detective who turns back into her old self as soon as forensic science comes up. Looking forward to seeing where the series goes from here.

another way apollo justice and aa2 are similar is they both have final cases that revolve around clowns and the circus and take abou3 hours longer than they need to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

1/10 - Final Fantasy VII Remake
1/19 - Castlevania - NES
1/23 - Castlevania 2
1/26 - Castlevania 3
1/27 - Super Castlevania 4
1/27 - The Castlevania Adventure (Game Boy)
1/28 - Castlevania 2: Belmont's Revenge (Game Boy)
1/28 - Castlevania: Bloodlines
3/1 - Untitled Goose Game (co-op)
3/13 - Super Mario 64
4/15 - Monster Hunter Rise
5/22 - SaGa Frontier Remastered
7/7 - Mario Golf: Super Rush
7/10 - Dragon Quest XI
7/22 - Dragon Quest IV
7/29 - The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
8/3 - Hotel Dusk: Room 215
9/6 - The Legend of Zelda
9/12 - The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening (Switch)
9/17 - Warioware: Get It Together
9/30 - Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
10/3 - Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
10/7 - Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
10/8 - Castlevania: Dracula X
10/26 - Metroid Dread
12/21 - Halo: Infinite
12/28 - Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 100% museum

I didn't plan on this being the year of Castlevania. Gaming in 2021 kicked rear end and I'm looking forward to 2022