Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
call of juarez: gunslinger. couple hours long and it was free, kinda boring start to finish but has epic collectables hidden in the map that give wild west facts. whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dionysian
Dec 30, 2012

Scarface: The World Is Yours. Based as gently caress.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

29. Shin Megami Tensei 5 (neutral, hard mode)

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 18, 2021

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

I had played this on release and never again because I ultimately was left disappointed. After playing Skyward Sword HD with my wife (which kind of disappointed us both), I really wanted to re-experience this. Overall...I left with a better impression than what I remembered of it, so that was a huge success!

Some of the dungeons are still kinda rear end, and it's a crime that one of the best item selections in all of Zelda ends up not having any puzzles designed for them. RIP the Spinner, which is insanely fun for one room and one boss in total. It's also the only boss that is both a spectacle and actually fun to fight.
However, other dungeons are super fun, the combat in general is solid as hell, and all the in-between setpieces were as awesome, varied and cool to experience as I remembered them being (without remembering details).

And the game is gorgeous. I still have the GC disk and a Wii set up to play it, but it looked like rear end on the flatscreen, so I opted to emulate it instead, put the settings on Dolphin real high, and I strongly recommend anyone considering a replay or a first look to do it like this. Apart from very few FFVII Remake style texture fails, most of the graphics are insanely detailed in a way that you'd never have been able to see on real hardware. Really made the phenomenal art design pop.

i will play it as god intended, on original hardware through a crt

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Metroid Dread Normal 3:13. Just need to do it once again on hard for everything.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Oxenfree

got the most common ending

-Made up with Clarissa, who went to college
-Me and Jonas are tight
-Ren and Nona got together
-Convinced the ghosts to move on by finding all the notes

i thought it was pretty good. The walking at times gets annoying, especially when theres the rock wall climbing animation that takes forever. I got hit by a couple of responses that didnt exactly communicate what i had in mind from reading the prompts, which i feel is inevitable in a gamified dialogue system that doesnt just show you the entire line, but it was the exception rather than the rule, overall it got across exactly how i felt about situations. The dialogue though, while i think its good that it keeps a consistent tone most of the time, i feel they are waaaaaay too whedon quip happy when theyre supposed to be in this terrifying situation. Like it works for Ren most of the time but other times characters are about to do some scary poo poo and are still yakking about it like its business as usual.

after finishing I read about the game online a bit and saw that you get a very definitive ending if you replay on new game plus but for a game this slow paced idk if i feel like it, not even to see alternate story branches. I'll just pretend that extra lil bit happens anyway and leave it at that.

final thing which might sound stupid. the sound design is amazing, when it comes to music and ambiance, but the sound work is sloppy in a couple spots. music is sometimes too loud and drowns out dialogue, the transitions between tracks can be too long, having heavy percussion from one track carry on to a somber track ruining the mood, and Nona's voice actress sounded too monotone for some of her more intense scenes, and her recording setup sounded like it was worse. Which doesnt help because shes the most underwritten character (I even took her with me during the tower spat between jonas and ren)

other than that, the drones, synths and especially the number station sound aesthetic is insanely good, im glad i played this with good sennheisers, and i recommend everyone try this with the best sound system you got.

e:and also the visuals are rad. Watercolor style background being interrupted by harsh digital effects is super cool

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

smt4 - neutral ending
probably the best ending and routes of any smt game ive played, they really nailed the alignments. the battle system is amazeballs
i spent a half hour trying to see a single fiend (matador) and then mispressed 'leave the area' and didnt see it again. how did they gently caress up fiends this bad?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

https://twitter.com/good_faces_bot/status/1471752041126973442

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
DD Crew coop freeplay
absolutely terrible beat em up aka belt scroller aka search action with cool sample based music and good graphics. enemies kill you in 2 hits, theres friendly fire on, and every boss has several instakills, you only have 2 buttons, and you take forever to pick up a weapon so when you do you get hit and drop it. saving grace is that its 40 minutes long and has amazingly bad engrish pre boss battle voice samples

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
Nancy Drew: Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon
I'd say maybe a B-Tier Nancy Drew game. The train vibe is really good, and none of the puzzles were too hosed up. I don't feel like i learned an awful lot from this one, cause I already knew about crystals, but the needlepoint symbology and elemental symbols were kewl. Top-notch minigames in this one as well 👍

Cool zoom-in for this word
https://clips.twitch.tv/YummyRoundRaisinFeelsBadMan-i6c06z6tyqKg8ovu

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow. Hard to find flaws in this game. Fantastic.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

mbt posted:

smt4 - neutral ending
probably the best ending and routes of any smt game ive played, they really nailed the alignments. the battle system is amazeballs
i spent a half hour trying to see a single fiend (matador) and then mispressed 'leave the area' and didnt see it again. how did they gently caress up fiends this bad?

It was a throwback to how fiends work in SMT and SMTII. The fiends get their own dungeon in SMTIV Apocalypse, thankfully

I probably spent like 2 hours trying to find Chemtrail in SMTIV and never saw it once

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

It was a throwback to how fiends work in SMT and SMTII. The fiends get their own dungeon in SMTIV Apocalypse, thankfully

I probably spent like 2 hours trying to find Chemtrail in SMTIV and never saw it once

I know, but I wonder why they thought that was a good idea lol. In 2 they had a room that guaranteed a fiend spawn at the end.

3s fiend system was awesome, 5s looks awesome. Hopefully iva is more like those

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

V's definitely isn't awesome because it costs extra. Penny pinching motherfuckers.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Worth every cent at the going rate of $1 per hour. Based on how long I fought the Demi-fiend.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ok I lied

40. Dragon Warrior VII. Disc 2 wasn't as long as I thought it would be, now to grind 2000+
battles to make a team full of heroes for one crappy post game dungeon.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

mbt posted:

Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KHR26h8K1s

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
Control. cool game i never got completely into. even as i progressed and improved in the game, i would still have occasional baffling and unpredictable death. combined with some pretty long loading times (like one or two minutes) on my pc made the game even more anxiety inducing than the developers probably intended. the setting grew on me and as usual remedy's writing and setting are cool as hell. got me very hype for alan wake 2

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

:rock::megadeath:

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

at least two times i've seen people who seemed to be under the impression that the blue dragon boss song with ian gilliam was original to shut up and jam gaiden. like they saw the mp3 tag "jesus christ the guy from deep purple sang this" and thought that he was contracted by cboyardee or sometihng.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

b_d posted:

at least two times i've seen people who seemed to be under the impression that the blue dragon boss song with ian gilliam was original to shut up and jam gaiden. like they saw the mp3 tag "jesus christ the guy from deep purple sang this" and thought that he was contracted by cboyardee or sometihng.

Cboyardee is ian gilliam

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

oh gently caress.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

mbt posted:

Cboyardee is ian gilliam

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mbt posted:

Cboyardee is ian gilliam

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

cboyardaee, if youre reading this your secret is out. make a game for imp zone or suffer the consequences

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Fungah! posted:

cboyardaee, if youre reading this your secret is out. make a game for imp zone or suffer the consequences
He did the music for Hateboard. That's not a joke btw.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fungah! posted:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fungah! posted:

cboyardaee, make a game

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Polybius - Normal Mode.

while i liked space giraffe well enough i dont think im really that into tempest. i really really really like the entire thing jeff minter goes for in his games, so to have a very enjoyable game underneath all that makes for something that appeals to me on basically every level. one hell of a time, wish i had vr. good god this game rules

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
took me 17 days and a sick amount of hours but i finally finished all 25 campaigns that came with AoE2 DE so I'd definitely count it as finishing the game. i haven't bothered with the expansion pac ones yet but I think of them as their own separate thing and one of which I just straight up don't have. this might be the most single minded ive ever played any game without getting sidetracked.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

1. Final Fantasy XIV - Shadowbringers simply epic.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Halo: Infinite

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

b_d posted:

lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

b_d posted:

Lmfao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

b_d posted:

It owns.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

b_d posted:

lmao

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

b_d posted:

lol

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

b_d posted:

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Grand Prix ALL CUPS IN 50CC, 100CC, 150CC, MIRROR AND 200CC 3 STARS)
2. Sonic Advance (Sonic)
3. Alien Syndrome (US version, 1-ALL 1CC no death, reached 2-6) - video
4. Sonic 3 Complete (Knuckles, Tails)
5. Super Mario World (96 exits)
6. Super Mario All-Stars: Super Mario Bros. (no warps, no continues)
7. Truxton II (1-ALL, 1CC) - video
8. Bonk's Adventure (NES)
9. Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu (NES, no death)
10. Persona 4 (Normal ending)
11. Castlevania (NES, 1-ALL, no death, game over at 2-4) - video
12. Yakuza Kiwami
13. Super Mario Galaxy (3D All-Stars version, 120 stars)
14. Suikoden
15. Donpachi (Japan, 1-ALL, dead at 2-2) - video
16. Super Metroid (Control Freak hack, 4:00, 60%, saved the animals)
17. Doom (E1, E2 on UV, E3 on HMP, no mid-level saving, pistol start on death)
18. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
19. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
20. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice For All
21. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations
22. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch)
23. Super Mario Odyssey
24. Sonic Colors Ultimate
25. WarioWare: Get it Together!
26. Super Mario 3D World (Switch)
27. Metroid Dread
28. Star Fox 64
29. Kirby's Adventure
30. Mega Man 9
31. Rockman (no death, no pause glitch) - video
32. Rockman 5 (no continues)

of the megmans ive spent a significant amount of time with (1, 2, 5, 9) this is definitely the easiest. clearing it without continuing is a cinch cuz the game gives you tons of E tanks, M tanks and lives, and im certain the rng chance for lives and big health refills is greater than previous games. there's not a lot of instadeath traps and the bosses are pretty easy. its a lot of fun, will be going for no deaths.

this is almost definitely my final list. of the year.