Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

1. Control
2. Hitman 3
3. Frostpunk
4. Outer Worlds
5. Song of Farca
6. Psychonauts 2
7. 12 Minutes
8. Myst
9: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
10. The Forgotten City
11. Deathloop
12. Inscryption

Aston fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

2. Hitman 3

I'm not sure when I count this as properly finished, but I've completed all the missions at least once and finished the story so I guess it counts. I'm not done with it by a long way.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

EmmyOk posted:

It's the best one I've played for sure and would def listen to anyone who has recs of similar stuff as opposed to the myst style you pulled a lever, good for you.

I played Her Story straight after it and while it's not exactly the same, it does have the ideas of pulling information from lots of sources together to make deductions.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

3. Frostpunk

It's June already and I've only beaten three games? Weird.

Anyway Frostpunk was free on Epic so I gave it a try, I beat the main story mode but i don't think i'm going back for the extra scenarios. It was worth a playthrough but I found it too stressful to go back again and again.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

4. The Outer Worlds

I was playing through this last year some time and sort of petered out, it turns out I was only about a mission and a half from the end so I finished it. It was alright, although even at about 20 hours start to finish it felt like it outstayed its welcome and was getting a bit samey. Probably worth it if you really love Fallout and wish that it was in space.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

STONE COLD 64 posted:

dragon quest 3

nothing special. you get to the prison planet and its just a bunch of really long corridors with lots of guards to fight. you fight a large robot as a boss battle, it has lots of hp but garbage ai and is only difficult in that it just takes forever to put away. then its an escape the planet runback and thats it.

i like the game overall though. it probably would have been better if they tried to vary things out and made the planets truly feel different and each have their own exclusive flora and fauna but as a first game it was ok. sequel should be good.

I also found that the different planet set-up meant that one of the things I like doing most in Fallout style games - seeing something in the distance that looks interesting and going to investigate - basically never came up, as every planet only had a few points of interest and most were highlighted for you by quests. From what I remember, the first planet was the best section, and I did enjoy that part, but after that it was only alright.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

5. Song of Farca

I liked the story, and the presentation and style were cool, but I think I've been spoiled by detective games like Obra Dinn and Outer Wilds because the "click on everything to progress the plot" gameplay did basically nothing for me.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

6. Psychonauts 2

I liked parts of it but man it felt like there were cutscenes every couple of minutes, it was so hard to get any momentum going. It's been a long time since I played the first one, but I don't think this quite holds up - I don't feel like any of the worlds were as memorable as the best parts of Psychonauts 1, except maybe the cooking show section. The amount of cutscenes really got under my skin by the end.

I guess I also finished 12 Minutes although I'm not sure I got the "best" ending. I had a better reaction to it than I've seen from some people, although I agree the ending was kind of stupid it didn't really take away from the rest of it for me.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

8. Myst

I assumed I had already played this at some point, but going through nothing was familiar. I was playing the new (ish?) remaster, I'm not sure if there were any real changes other than the free 3D movement and updated graphics. I liked it, some of the puzzles were a bit oldfashioned and I did look up a couple of hints, but overall most of it made sense which isn't always the case with the old point and click adventure games. It felt like a precursor to something like The Witness.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

9. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

I really liked it, it's not perfect or anything but I dug the aesthetic, I thought it was very atmospheric, and the combat was really fun when it clicked, which was most of the time. Probably not for everyone but if the trailer looks interesting then I'd suggest checking it out for sure.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

b_d posted:

ah also An Untitled Story. one of the really old games by Maddy Thorson of towerfall and celeste fame. very rough around the edges but well worth a look.

I know this is from a couple pages back but I never knew that game was by Maddy Thorson, that's so cool.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

10. The Forgotten City

I liked it, it's not the best timeloopy game out there but it was still a fun ride.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

10. Deathloop

I thought it was...alright. It was definitely more Dishonored with a timeloop backstory than having the clockwork feeling of other timeloop games, and the fact you were handheld through the whole puzzle was very frustrating.

I did like that you were basically given free reign to use your powers and rampage as much as you like, in Dishonored I always felt like you were "supposed" to take the stealthy approach and ended up not really interacting with combat, and in Prey you're weaker enough than the usual enemies that you have to take each engagement a bit more carefully. I was mowing down people left and right in Deathloop when things went wrong, which was a cool change of pace.

Overall it didn't really live up to its potential, but I had fun with it anyway.

Edit: Just looking at my list again, apparently it was the year of time loop games - 12 Minutes, Deathloop, The Forgotten City, and also some Hitman which I feel semi-counts.

Aston fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

12. Inscryption

Spoiling all my comments because everyone says it's best to go in blind but i'm not really talking about anything specific

The story stuff was cool but the actual card game play really didn't grab me, i'm glad I finished it but it was beginning to drag for me by about the halfway mark.