Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Golden Deer - 1/22
2. Yakuza: Like A Dragon - 1/31
3. Rune Factory 4S main story - 2/2
4. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Crimson Flower - 2/19
5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 2/20
6. Spider-Man: Miles Morales - 2/27
7. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - 3/2
8. Astro’s Playroom - 3/19
9. Sakura Wars - 4/3
10. Star Wars: Squadrons single-player campaign - 4/18
11. A Plague Tale: Innocence - 4/23
12. Resident Evil 3 remake - 4/27
13. Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride - 5/2
14. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard + Not a Hero and End of Zoe DLC campaigns - 5/4
15. Gears of War 4 - 5/8
16. Resident Evil: Village - 5/11
17. Nier Replicant (All Endings A-E) - 5/17
18. Mass Effect: Legendary Edition - 5/24
19. Nier Automata (Endings A-E) - 6/7
20. Mass Effect 2: Legendary Edition - 6/11
21. Mass Effect 3: Legendary Edition - 6/19
22. World's End Club (true ending) - 7/3
23. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (100%) - 7/18
24. Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne HD (True Demon Ending) - 7/27
25. Sniper Ghost Warrior: Contracts - 7/31
26. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - 8/1
27. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - 8/5
28. Shin Megami Tensei 4 (Law ending) - 8/24
29. Arietta of Spirits - 9/2
30. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice for All - 9/8
31. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations - 9/13
32. Lake - 9/14
33. Judgment - 9/17
34. Unavowed - 9/21
35. Shin Megami Tensei 4: Apocalypse (Bonds ending) - 10/2
36. Fire Emblem: Awakening - 10/20
37. Soma - 10/31
38. Metroid Dread - 11/11
39. Shin Megami Tensei V (Law ending) - 12/2
40. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - 12/5
41. Persona 5 Royal (true ending) - 12/26
42. Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney - 12/31
43. Alan Wake Remastered - 12/31

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

mycophobia posted:

i thought far cry 2 was pretty good

:hai:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

First game beaten of 2021 is my third run of Fire Emblem: Three Houses, this time as the Golden Deer. Married Marianne. With that I’ve played through as each of the houses. It’s hard to pick a favorite house because each one has great characters and the way you see bits of the plot in each route that you don’t in the others is really cool, but I think this one might be it if I were forced to choose, I liked the dynamic of nearly everyone being some kind of outcast or weirdo and it’s the only route that really gets into the church’s origins and all that. It was also kind of fun that everyone ends up stupidly overpowered, Lysithea turns into artillery that can one-shot almost anyone from halfway across the map and Ignatz can crit on every shot by the end.

All that I have left now is to redo Black Eagles but side with Edelgard this time. Kind of nervous about that, I really like Rhea, Flayn, Seteth and all the knights and will feel bad fighting against them but it will be cool seeing the story from that perspective.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yakuza: Like a Dragon. Extremely good, it manages to be a really good turn-based JRPG while still perfectly capturing the feeling of the Yakuza series. Ichiban was a cool protagonist, I like that at his core he has all the qualities that make Kiryu a good hero but is otherwise like a complete 180 from Kiryu in personality. The rest of the cast was also great, especially the core team of Saeko, Adachi, and Nanba, I can’t wait to see what the four of them get up to next.

There’s a few things that don’t quite come together, after a strong start the story feels kind of aimless for a long time and there are some mechanical issues that I chalk up to the team taking on a whole new, radically-different genre for the first time, but nothing that significantly drags the game down. Looking forward to whatever’s next for the series.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I beat the main story of Rune Factory 4S a few days ago. Pretty fun little Harvest Moon style game, the twist being that it’s set in a fantasy world with elves and dwarves and monsters, etc, and there’s a big overworld and dungeons to explore and you can tame monsters in them and stuff. The cast of characters is weird and likable, the story itself wasn’t anything particularly special but had some good feels moments, the game has a really goofy sense of humor that’s lame but endearing somehow, and the basic gameplay loop was fun and addicting, I’d recommend it to anyone who likes Harvest Moon style games.

I was holding out to do a few optional things like getting married and having a kid before adding it to the list but that stuff’s locked behind waiting for events to happen that are triggered at absolute random and even after several real-life days of doing nothing but the absolute minimum to tend my farm and then running around talking to everyone to trigger events I still can’t get the right ones. So gently caress it, I beat the main story, got a little trophy in my house for beating the game, it’s going on the list. I hope 5 has more actual triggers and less RNG, I’ll probably keep at it for a few more days before switching to the Friends of Mineral Town remake for my farming fix.

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 2, 2021

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Bolverkur posted:

Please report back on the remake, I played it to death on GBA and have spent considerable time on the ps1 version as well, but something made me hold off with this version. Probably just nostalgia for the other visual styles. The N64 visuals with the Mineral Town setup was just too perfect to me.

I’ve actually never played the original, I didn’t really get into this genre until Stardew Valley (I’d kind of tried the original 3DS version of RF4 and Story of Seasons first but didn’t end up putting too much time into them). I’ll definitely share my thoughts on it as it’s own game but I won’t be able to compare to the original

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Crimson Flower route. With that, I've beaten all 4 routes in the game. I'll probably continue to replay for years to come (or at least until the next Fire Emblem if it's as good as this one) just for love of the gameplay, to find all the hidden bits of lore that you couldn't really understand without seeing having seen another path first, to see all the different character endings based on how you pair them, etc but it's still a nice feeling having seen the story from every possible angle.

Spoiler tagging my thoughts on this route specifically since you can't really discuss it without spoiling all the others too: It's interesting that you never really feel sure if you're doing the right thing, Edelgard's dream of ending the nobility and the Church's control of the land is a good one and feels like a good goal to work for, but Edelgard's just as ruthless as ever and it feels like this route is especially a bloodbath in forcing you to kill all your friends from the academy (I think Marianne and Raphael are the only characters that I didn't either recruit before the war or have to kill during it) so you never really feel good about it. Having to kill your friends in a war that was forced on all of you definitely feels different than killing your friends in a war that your other friend started and you decided to help her with lol.

It's also interesting that they basically just came out and said that whoever you side with are the good guys specifically because you sided with them, Rhea's descent into madness and cruelty only happens as a direct result of you betraying her and spoiling her plans to revive her mother, while Edelgard has a line where she says that she feels like your friendship helps her keep things in perspective and that without you she thinks she'd become a harsh, coldhearted leader--which is exactly who she is in the other three paths.

I really like Edelgard as a character, so it was nice to be a friend to her and see all her support conversations and her side of the story, and I thought the conversation you have if you choose to marry her like I did was a nice end to the game that takes some of the sting out of spending the last several hours murdering all your friends. But at the end of the day I think I like her better as a tragic, sympathetic villain than as a flawed hero so I don't know if I'll be doing this route again. It also leaves a bad taste in my mouth having Hubert alive at the end of the game lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

In Training posted:

The details of my life are quite inconsequential. I played this game on a display SNES at Sears while my family was waiting to get out family portrait taken. Even at 12 years old something about the way it looked troubled me. It looked like plastic where the preceding two games looked like clay. It stank of the worst type of appalachian Americana. Who invited the Country Bear Jamboree?
                                                                                                                                                                              /

Lmfao

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Had dreams… Two of ’em. Both had Diddy Kong in ’em. It's peculiar. I'm older now then he ever was by twenty years. So in a sense he's the younger Kong. Anyway, first one I don't remember too well but it was about meeting him in town somewhere, he's gonna give me some bananas. I think I lost it. The second one, it was like we was both back in older times and I was on Rambi goin' through the mountains of a night. Goin' through this pass in the mountains. It was cold and there was snow on the ground and he rode past me and kept on goin'. Never said nothin' goin' by. He just rode on past... and he had his t-shirt wrapped around him and his head down and when he rode past I seen he was carryin' fire in a horn the way people used to do and I could see the horn from the light inside of it. 'Bout the color of the moon. And in the dream I knew that he was goin' on ahead and he was fixin' to make a fire somewhere out there in all that dark and all that cold, and I knew that whenever I got there I would find a DK coin. And then I woke up.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I finished The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild last night. It was the first game I bought when I got my Switch just over two years ago and I’m only just now beating it because the world is so vibrant and beautiful and fun to explore that I’d spend most of my time playing it just running towards any random thing on the overworld that caught my attention.

The way all the gameplay and physics systems work together and let you do pretty much any stupid idea that enters your head and have it work was incredible. I’m thinking of stuff like how metal weapons conduct electricity, which is mostly something that forces you to switch to non-metal gear in a thunderstorm or when fighting lightning enemies but you can also use it to do things like throw a metal sword at an enemy just before a lightning strike so the enemy gets hit by both the weapon and the lightning strike simultaneously, or doing puzzles where you’re supposed to push electrical blocks around to complete a circuit by just dropping your metal gear in a line from one end of the circuit to another, and that’s just a couple examples from someone not particularly creative.

I did miss traditional Zelda dungeons but the shrines were a good replacement, smaller puzzles that make you make use of all these systems was a good idea for this game but it would be nice if 2 had a mix of both. Otherwise most of my complaints were minor, it’s one of the best games of all time imo

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 21, 2021

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I beat Spider-Man: Miles Morales last night. It was basically the same as the first game, which was good enough but not great. The new powers were kind of lame and they replaced the boring Miles and MJ stealth sections with 800 objectives where you look for a generator and then press L1+square to charge it up, which they apparently thought was really exciting because they made you do it every 3 minutes. I was also extremely tired of hearing the main guy’s voice by the end, he never shuts the gently caress up to the point that I had several occasions where the game was playing two of his voice lines at once because I’d hit two dialogue triggers at the same time.

The combat and movement are identical to the first game which I liked, it’s probably my favorite of all the Arkham style games (at least when fighting regular enemies, though the special enemies didn’t feel as annoying this time around) and swinging around the city is still really fun. So I’d still recommend it despite the annoyances if you liked the first game or haven’t played it yet. If you didn’t like the first one nothing in this will change your mind

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

ArfJason posted:

Those generators are fire. Based oscorp transducer capacitors. Octopus phd is sus

I need everyone to understand that this isn’t a joke or exaggeration—early on in the game Miles and his friend are reminiscing about an old science project and Miles says “man that energy converter was fire.” The writer is about the same age as my parents.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. Wanted to knock out a shorter game or two while I have access to a PS5 for a few days. Some clever puzzles (and some lame ones), fun characters, and better combat than the last couple games since it creates difficulty with enemy AI and challenging level design and stuff instead of just throwing 20 armored guys with grenade launchers and snipers at you in every combat encounter like 3 and 4. I always love a game with an Indian setting too.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

trying to jack off posted:

congrats on noticing i typed soemthing a little weird. you just got promoted to a 2012 era grey forums mod

lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

The only imp zone pioneer is the Naruto: Road to Boruto poster

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

The last time someone posted about a game in here without having recently beat it. NSFL.

https://streamable.com/0bpr9d

lmfao

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Astro’s Playroom. A cute fun little platformer in its own right even though at the end of the day it’s really a tech demo for all the DualShock 5’s new features.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

original dq is almost all grind, but it's just so charming. i don't know how it would hold up if you didn't play it as a kid, i like to return to it every now and then just to beat up a few goldmen.

I played it for the first time last year and loved it, it definitely holds up. It’s very simple now compared to how RPGs have evolved since but that gives it its own charm, the 1-on-1 fights make for a more chill experience and it’s cool how every level-up and equipment upgrade makes an extremely noticeable difference

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

elf help book posted:

you use what feels correct to you theres not some magic finish line thats why your poo poo sucks this has always been the rule

This. But you have to be prepared for flames if you call it too early...

It varies by game and I don’t think there will ever be a single rule to cover the whole thread.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I like fadam, partly genuinely because he’s such a character, and partly because if he weren’t here I’d easily be the Imp with the worst taste in games

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Sakura Wars 2019 - started this because I thought it would be a short JRPG I could knock out without getting into all the 60+ hour ones I’ve got and I guess I should have done more research because it’s got absolutely no RPG elements at all—I knew they made it into an action game instead of a tactical RPG like the other games but didn’t realize that it was pure action with no stats or level ups or anything, or that the game is like 90% visual novel where you’re selecting dialogue options and the combat is a pretty minor part of the game.

But hell I still had a pretty good time. The main story wasn’t anything special and a phrase that pog coined when talking about Xenoblade Chronicles 2, “anime bastard poo poo,” kept running through my mind a lot, but I liked the characters, both major and minor, so I enjoyed going through their storylines and side quests. The combat could get repetitive in the longer sections but was fun in shorter bursts, it’s like musou-style combat but without the musou format of capturing outposts etc. Pretty solid game.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

That guy doesn't look that rad.

He’s reasonably rad imo.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Star Wars: Squadrons campaign. Pretty fun, it’s kind of in between an arcade game like the old Rogue Squadron games and an actual flight sim (leaning more towards the former but you can mess around with power settings and your ship’s shield distribution, etc) which was a nice balance. The story’s standard Star Wars stuff, nothing special but some of the setpieces were fun and the visuals and sound design were great. I’m going to give the multiplayer a try, I usually don’t like playing games that are as heavily teamwork-focused as it presents itself as with random people but a lot of these games end up not requiring as much coordination as they claim so who knows. But even if I don’t stick with multiplayer it’s a pretty solid single-player experience.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

A Plague Tale: Innocence. A nice little game, kind of a mix of a walking sim style story game, a stealth game, and a puzzle game. It's set in France in the middle of the Hundred Years' War and the black plague, and you play as a teenager trying to take care of her younger brother after their parents are killed and they're left with nowhere to go (the early game reminded me so much of Grave of the Fireflies that I looked it up and found that sure enough the developers listed that movie as their main influence). There are sections where you have to sneak past human enemies like Inquisition or English soldiers and sections where you have to solve puzzles based around light to avoid swarms of plague rats that will devour anyone caught in the darkness, and sections where you do both at once. It started to lose me towards the end once things start getting more fantastical but I still had a good time with it, the first half or so of the game in particular when it's just a grounded survival story and hasn't introduced a million different tools yet

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I’m imagining it.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Resident Evil 3 remake. I don’t think it was quite as good as the 2 remake but I really loved RE2R so I still loved this one a lot. It feels like it loses some depth since it’s mostly focused on moment-to-moment action with less exploration than 2, but the more action-oriented gameplay was a nice change of pace and I really loved Jill who was a very fun lead character.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Dragon Quest V. I've been playing them in order from the first and have commented before that each game has been better than the one before it, and I think this one continues the streak. It's hard to say for sure because 4 was also incredible and it's hard to pick one of the two as being better but I think I have to slightly give the edge to 5. I married Bianca and my team for the last dungeon was the hero, Bianca, and the kids, but I swapped out Bianca for the Sabrecat for the final boss. The multi-generational time-skipping story was really cool and I liked that you could talk to your party members at any time and they'd have huge amounts of dialogue based on your location, how far you are in the story, responses to random NPCs you just talked to, etc. The hero, the marriage candidates, and the children are also some of my favorite Toriyama designs. The gameplay's great like every Dragon Quest game but the writing and presentation are incredible on top of that. It's too late to start anything new tonight but I might jump into 6 first thing tomorrow.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard + Not a Hero and End of Zoe DLC campaigns. The main campaign was great, the house was extremely well-designed and gave off a super creepy atmosphere that made it really fun to explore. It could also be genuinely scary and nerve-wracking at times, I think Alien: Isolation is the only other horror game I can think of that could get me on the edge of my seat like that. The DLC campaigns were fine, they had good stories that tied up some loose ends from the main campaign and the different, more action-oriented gameplay was a nice change of pace after beating the main game but I don't think they were near as good as Biohazard. I'm really excited for RE8 in a few days.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Gears of War 4. I was feeling a little out of it today and decided to just play a couple of the dumber action-focused games I had installed but never finished and apparently the last time I played this I stopped like a mission and a half from the end. Gameplay was pretty solid, I haven’t played Gears since back when 3 was new but it played about the same as I remember the old ones. The story was kind of dumb and ended abruptly but I guess no one plays Gears games for the story. Pretty okay overall

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Resident Evil: Village. Absolutely fantastic. Combat was a lot smoother than 7, I loved exploring everything and discovering all the hidden secrets, and it could be pretty scary when it wanted to as well. Having areas and bosses themed after a bunch of different horror tropes was cool, especially after how samey all the enemies in 7 were. I’m excited to see what’s next for the series

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Nier Replicant, all endings (A, B, C, D, E) Incredible game. Really fun gameplay with an interesting story and a great cast of characters. I was worried that it would get old running the game over and over again for the endings but it never did really, the gameplay was fun enough that I didn't mind redoing sections and the new twists and perspectives on the story kept it fresh. Kainé and Weiss are probably two of my favorite characters in gaming now. I really can't recommend the game enough. On to Automata now, which I'd played a bit of in the past but never got very far into.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I'm thinking of replaying Automata now that I've beaten Replicant so I can fully grasp the Lore. It's so good

I went into Automata right after posting that last night and it plays just differently enough from Replicant that my muscle memory is getting my rear end kicked lol. Might switch over to something else until the Replicant reflexes fade and I stop trying to dodge through projectiles in Automata, something you apparently can’t do or at least the i-frames are way less forgiving

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

lmao

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Mass Effect 1 Legendary Edition. Paragon, most side quests done (you don't get a point of no return warning and I blundered past it before finishing a single quest). I had a good time with it, the QOL changes to gameplay made a world of difference. It's cool that the two moralities are tracked separately instead of on a binary scale so you have more flexibility shaping your character's personality than in a lot of games with morality systems, I maxed out paragon but still got enough renegade points to unlock dialogue options for both paths. The story was pretty standard space opera stuff but there were some cool moments along the way. I'm looking forward to continuing in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Nier Automata. Endings A-E, plus a couple of the joke endings, sacrificed my save file. Mostly really good, I preferred Replicant by a pretty good margin but it's still a lot of fun in its own right. I think it had a more interesting story than Replicant and I liked that the themes this game explored kind of neatly pick up from questions that were just sort of implied by Replicant's ending despite the 8,000 year time difference, but I didn't like the characters in Automata anywhere near as much as the Replicant cast. The gameplay with two of the player characters was a lot of fun but playing as the third, 9S is significantly worse and you spend like half the game as them, making B route a total slog that I didn't enjoy at all. But the rest of the game was good enough that that didn't lower my opinion of the game overall too much, the fun fast-paced combat of the other characters, great visuals and audio (especially the soundtrack), and the number of options to customize your playstyle with the pod programs and plug-in chips etc were too good to be brought down by a few crummy hours in the middle.