Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

lets beat games this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

’ll probably keep at it for a few more days before switching to the Friends of Mineral Town remake for my farming fix.

Please report back on the remake, I played it to death on GBA and have spent considerable time on the ps1 version as well, but something made me hold off with this version. Probably just nostalgia for the other visual styles. The N64 visuals with the Mineral Town setup was just too perfect to me.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I’ve actually never played the original, I didn’t really get into this genre until Stardew Valley (I’d kind of tried the original 3DS version of RF4 and Story of Seasons first but didn’t end up putting too much time into them). I’ll definitely share my thoughts on it as it’s own game but I won’t be able to compare to the original

Even better, as far as I'm concerned. You'll see it even clearer for what it is instead of comparing it to older versions.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i reinstalled return to castle wolfenstein a few months ago after not playing it since multiplayer was active years ago and it's still really good. such a good atmosphere in that game and still tons of fun.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i know it's a few pages back but lmfao every time

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

Nice, TTJO! And yeah, clear's the best. (Sadly my GBA is the standard purple as it was a gift. Still a great colour and platform though - being able to play GBC and GBP games on it was a real boon, too)

not to sound like a certain uncle, but i swapped out the shell and it was really easy. tons of cool stuff available online for cheap. i also switched out the screen, which was more hassle, but the payoff is incredible and turns it into one of the best handheld gaming systems known to mankind.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

Oh wow! I hadn't heard that you could swap out the screen for a better one! Do you have any photos, by any chance? That sounds great

I got an IPS screen like Pablo, make sure to get the latest one (V2 I think). I got mine off ebay along with the shell. When you order a new shell and you're putting in a screen as well, I recommend buying a pre-cut one. Otherwise you have to do some cutting of your own to fit it. You can just install the screen as-is, but if you do some very simple soldering you can use Select + L/R to adjust the brightness. I always preferred the regular GBA to the GBA SP, and with a new screen it's unbeatable. There's tons of cool shells out there, some really nice clear ones I want to get later on.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

trying to jack off posted:

original ds is my epic GBA option btw

this is good. i like it when people turn a ds with a broken hinge into a gba machine and let it live on.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Persona 4 summer. SMT Nocturne autumn. Persona 3 winter. fantastic pairing.