Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

amid evil - bad final level, really good design in the rest of it though. i like having no hitscan enemies so you can strafe around. probably going to play dusk soon
links awakening remake - an absolute delight from start to end. never played the original but this is one of the most fun games ive played. nintendo can't be stopped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

lmao

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

deus ex human revolution
the graphics still look really good. the powerups are a bit underwhelming (hoping mankind divided improves this) but the gameplay is really fun for a while. i went full stealth, but I probably should have learned my lesson from dishonored and not cared about meticulously reloading if I get discovered and just fought it out.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

quote:

1. amid evil
2. links awakening remake
3. deus ex human revolution
4. castlevania (nes)
save state only once at the start of each stage. now this is nintendo hard. i had to fight death without holy water and i feel like i earned that kill. onto simons quest :)

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Kull the Conqueror posted:

congrats, that's an achievement. I've gotten to the screen right before Death and it kinda melts my brain right before i die in two seconds
definitely one i will put on my asus brand bulletin board. a lot of this ends up just being dumb luck. you try the same level 20 times and its the one where you take damage immediately from dumb mistakes that ends up being the winner.

quote:

1. amid evil
4. castlevania 1
5. castlevania 2: simon's quest

the puzzles are about as complex as pushwalls in wolfenstein. if you talk to every single npc and throw holy water at every tile you'll figure it out eventually (except the two parts you have to kneel). the game itself is very very easy. there's only three bosses and all of them die without doing much. i enjoy the semi-open world and rpg elements, this is castlevania's zelda 2. thank you Brian P. Sulpher from gamefaqs

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

quote:

1. amid evil
4. castlevania 1
6. castlevania 3: dracula's curse

the first half of the game is pretty much perfect, solid difficulty and cool selectable characters (i went grant/alucard). the last half gets pretty nuts with the difficulty, especially when its the block stacking zones or the final fight with dracula. if you lose during dracula you're sent back to the middle of the stage which is pretty terrible. apparently the japanese version put you at the boss, so in solidarity with my japanese brothers i put a savestate there. still hands down the most fun classic castlevania game. very excited for castlavania 4 and rondo, never played either of them.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

quote:

1. amid evil
4. castlevania 1
7. super castlevania 4
8. castlevania: rondo of blood

first time playing either of them.
castlevania 4 loving rules, 10/10 game, the best classic castlevania ever. rondo of blood was great but losing the directional whip feels like a huge step backwards. rondo leading into sotn is really cool, and it having multi-stage pathing like 3 was a great return to form after the linear castlevania 4. castlevania 4 though....

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Look at that neck thickness, no imp is getting through that... for now

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

7) Monster Hunter Rise

All quests currently in the game cleared, many of them several times. Going to be playing a whole lot more but I can't wait for the updates.

Post your weapon usage chart

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

mycophobia posted:

[in tears] they could escape again!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

quote:

1. amid evil
4. castlevania 1
7. super castlevania 4
9. Dragon Quest IV ds

Loved it. Psaro owns. Wasnt sold on the chapter system at first but by the time I got to chapter 3 and had to become the best trader I was having a blast. Not as good as 3 but that's a high bar. Onto 5 now

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

dragon quest v
its the ultimate dad rpg and its amazing. running around and capturing monsters is awesome, metal slimes ftw

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Chrono trigger ds, original and secret ending
It owns very hard and before you know it it's over. Most of the new 3ds content is terrible

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

If you cut encounters in half and doubled xp would it be good? Idk how much of the issues are the endless battles and how much are the game just being uninteresting

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

quote:

1. amid evil
4. castlevania 1
7. super castlevania 4
9. dragon quest IV
10. dragon quest V
11. chrono trigger
12. the world ends with you (ds)
13. final fantasy 7 (original)

im livin in jrpg bliss. idk how world ends with you works on switch but the light puck is fun, and when you finally "get" the combat its so good
ff7 rules, glad i got around to playing it. i have no idea how sephiroth 'overpowered jenova' and turns this space demon into a punching bag for cloud but whatever, i like ff8 a lot and this is much more coherent

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Dragon quest 6
Played 4 5 and 6 close together and all of the hype from 5 died about 4 hours in. I had to turn off random encounters with a cheat in order to finish. I dont think I'll be playing 7 as its apparently the same devs and I don't think they understand why dragon quest is fun

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Average Bear posted:

Lonesome Road for FNV. I didn't know the whole DLC was going to be Chris Avellone's self-insert dabbing on you for 5000 lines of dialogue.

its trash, wb :cheers:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sudden Javelin posted:

Seymour on the mountain always used to be my big roadblock

This. But the song there is great so I didnt mind walking around to grind more

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fungah! posted:

ty garlic bread

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

In Training posted:

30b. DQVI Nokturnus defeated. Real nail biter of a battle, first time I had to swap between all the wagon freeloaders to pull off a victory. Pretty sweet stuff, the best of the super bosses since III IMO.

Go back and fight the final boss again after that, you get a much different fight

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Diablo 1 - sorcerer

bounced off this game lots of times as warrior/rogue, magic in this game rules. as soon as you get mana shield you're invincible. chain lightning feels great and just sweeps entire maps clean.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

diablo 2 hell + uber tristram

they did a good job, thank you vicarious visions

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

smiter paladin + blizzard sorc

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Plebian Parasite posted:

She's a homeless person living under a bridge, and you can console her about her chronic fatigue.

Lol

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

there's a potential duck hunt kill screen coming up, if anybody wants to watch

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
waited about 3 months between case 4 and case 5 and im glad i came back. what a loving case, this game rules.

gonna try Ghost Trick + Etrian Odyssey 1 remake next

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

mega man x3 - buster only

I don't like any of the subweapons in this game, i dislike how they made most of them do nothing if the enemy wasn't vulnerable to them. mega man x is still the best

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

mysterious loyall X posted:

The shump genre did noy get good until tyrian 2000 and raptor call.of the shadow.

this and also stargunner

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

heehee posted:

this. ive played that rear end a million times and it's still one of the sickest games

epic claim to fame is being on the couch for the agdq 14 score attack run. please ignore banjo kazooie rapist stivitybobo also on the couch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvYwDotkoTk
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

mycophobia posted:

say what you will about the design choice but youre supposed to be able to get to death with 2-3x cross or holy water to beat him without extraordinary luck. thats just how they wanted it to be. you're supposed to re-do all of ninja gaiden stage 6 when you die against a boss

like its some kind of show of respect to not savescum ALL of a "good game", only gutting the life/checkpoint structure thats integral to its pacing to some degree lol. get real. dicking around with old games using savestates is whatever but you're not beating these games by a long shot

this, but if your goal is to beat every nes game in order then youre allowed to do whatever or else suffer through silver surfer for weeks

also dont fear castlevania 2, its not as good as 1 but as far as nes games go its not bad if you have a gamefaq pulled up to save you the extra bullshit

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ghost trick

everyone needs to play this game immediately

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mega Man Battle Network 3 Blue
End+serenade+bass gs

Love the battle system and deck building in this game/series, hate the monotony of the story.

The cool parts are where you jack into a tank and fight viruses, the bad parts are where you're sent back and forth between two npcs, and this happens a lot. Lmao at the part when you're being threatened and rather than battle you throw your net navi like a brick and knock them out

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Roth posted:

25. Metroid: Zero Mission

you have to post your clear time and %, those are the rules.

just beat it as well, 2:29:40 55%

the zero-suit parts were much easier than I remember

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

am2r 100%

incredible. what theyve done for a free fangame is insane. getting some of these shinesparks off is the highlight of my day

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

i have absolutely no idea what the hell i'm doing in Mighty Bomb Jack, but i thought i was doing okay anyways until like four levels in this suddenly happened, lol:

Lmao

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

lmao, I think we might need this to appear for Jeff Bezos :D

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

earthbound

i loved it. what an absolute joy to play.

my favorite part was the brickroad saga, i didn't see that coming at all lmao.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Shin Megami Tensei 1 - neutral

very awesome game. i didnt have the orden patch or the map shortcut patch which i found out about halfway through lol. i highly recommend those so you dont have broken quests or broken summoning animations. about halfway through the game I stopped dealing with fusions, sleep bullets on heroine + sword attacks on main hero just beats everything if you max speed. the encounter rate is insane at the end.

reading what the later entries change, i'm excited to see the progression. inheriting skills sounds like ill actually have a reason to engage with the monster fusion a bit more

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

shin megami tensei 2 - law ending

very cool story, lol at the law path having your friend say oh I remember now, I'm actually satan! then he transforms and joins your team. I didn't like this nearly as much as smt1. 1 felt a lot more 'open world' while this is a mostly linear path with lots of backtracking.

memorize this (path from center to factory) youre going to run from 1 to 6 and back from 6 to 1 like 20 times. and this is just one of 5-6 maps you will do this in. i ended up switching from 3ds to pc emulator just to have frameskipping lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

shin megami tensei: nocturne - true demon ending (normal difficulty)

after playing 1 and 2, 3 is an incredible jrpg. press turn rules extremely hard. I don't like how there aren't many choices to be made, does siding with someone get you anything special? avoiding a fight and a different ending maybe? in 1/2 your alignment would get you unique demons and send you on different paths.