Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

hoping to beat my score of less than a game a month this year

reserved unless I'm on page 2 an then I twas a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

elf help book posted:

"not reserving - i will make an individual post for every game that i beat." says man who missed posting on page 1

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I need to stop playing almost exclusively JRPGs or i'll be posting a 5 game list again

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

que sera sera posted:

Even tho the same thing happend to me, god willing I will play even more jrpgs this year :getin: :thaoldme:

The first two games im playing are P4G and FFXIII lol :negative:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

stil not close to finishing anything, dunno how peopel are doing this.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

the dam is going to break for me once i finish cyberpunk.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Jenny Agutter posted:

Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, 95 shrines. I burned myself out when it first came out getting all four ancients and like 90 shrines and completing tarry town. Glad I finally finished it, what a great game

One of those games I return to for a few hours every few weeks and fill out my journal with improved pics or track down a few more shrines or quests.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

1. No More Heroes (Mild, True Ending, All T-Shirts): As a teenager I couldn't get passed Holly Summers in the Wii version so I've finally had my revenge. Amazing game overall and I think they tweaked it a bit since the Wii version. There's a tutorial in the first mission that explains the combat pretty in-depth that helps a lot, and having the high/low sword/melee attacks be button specific instead of based on WiiMote orientation was a lot easier.

Most of the bosses were amazing but ones like Shinobu and Bad Girl despite being really hard in a cool way just took way too long because they were so passive and Bad Girl in particular had like three separate moves where you just had to stand still and not approach her. Just absolutely class the whole way through. I really liked he dumb part time jobs they were so stupid I wish they paid more than the assassinations which were kind of lame to just do again and again to grind. I didn't find the grind that bad over all even though I bought all available items but I wish they'd made the part time jobs worth more or that you could quickly redo assassinations. As soon as you unlock the one right beside the assassination centre there's no reason to do anything else. It's worth the most and closest.

Almost certainly going to break my no new games policy to buy NMH2 and TSB before 3 later this year.

e: Also I remember a guy on a forum I posted on a lot in the 2000s saying that Letz Shake was insanely hard and his hands nearly fell off from flailing the wiimote and I couldn't even get past Holly summers so lol now that I played that fight

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

1. No More Heroes (Mild, True Ending, All T-Shirts)
3. Abe's Oddysee New n' Tasty (Hard Mode all 299 Mudokons saved): I had this as a kid and started it so many times but could never beat it, it was so hard. To be honest i proabably wouldn't have beaten it this time if they hadn't added Quicksave and load. They had that in Abe's Exxodus though so clearly they realised even back then the original should have had it. Mostly i found it tonnes of fun but the game doesn't control super precisely so it was at it's best when the rooms were just focused on figuring out the puzzles rather than both that and really tight platforming that it wasn't really equipped for. There was also a handful of areas where the timing of a few things seemed broken and i wish they'd tuned those parts of it. Not sure if they were an issue in the original. There were some rooms I thought were total BS then when i figured out the best order to do things they were easily reproducible. The end game also got too fond of soft locking you out of saving Mudokons for arbitrary reasons. In the final level theres two separate puzzles rooms but if you do the first one first you make it impossible to do the second due to a very absurd reason lol. Despite all this i liked it a lot and might even do the speedrun at some point.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Arrhythmia posted:

Advanced list inflation techniques.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

AdmiralViscen posted:

What platform did you play Oddworld on? I beat it on PS4 years ago, and then I double dipped on switch and hit what I believe is a game breaking bug.

PS4. What bug brother? And by soft locks I mean they lock you out of rescuing all mudokons rather than stopping you proceeding! So probably a misuse by me

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

2. Abe's Oddysee New n' Tasty (Hard Mode all 299 Mudokons saved):
3. Return of the Obra-Dinn: Amazing game an easy 5/5. Just was so much fun to wake up each morning and work out some new fates and piece new parts of the story together. Feel I did a pretty good job of solving any 2 arrow and some 3 arrow unblurred faces when I got them instead of just trying to unlock as many memories as I could to make it easy. Got all the fates and the secret chapter though I can't imagine most people would give up before that. I did almost do it accidentally thinking 2 of the fates wouldn't finish but I had a slight error on one. I didn't really have to rely on guesswork other than the 4 Chinese top men and the last two random seamen who were both from England. If id' gone through all their memories I'd probably have got them eventually but plugging in a limited amount of names when you had two rock solid solves didn't feel too cheesy imo. I am reading the wiki now to see how some of the three arrows were supposed to be identified super early and despite feeling like I found a lot of subtle stuff there is so much other stuff I missed. A must play.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hey Chief posted:

Is Obra Dinn the best puzzle game? If there's anything even close to it, I want to play it.

2. Stacking.
Cute, has some of that Double Fine writing and visual design that makes Psychonauts a classic, but the puzzles are kid's fare. Most likely literally for kids?
3. Armored Warriors (co-op)
This is a blast. Every pick-up is fun. Definitely play this together with someone (or -two) else.

It's the best one I've played for sure and would def listen to anyone who has recs of similar stuff as opposed to the myst style you pulled a lever, good for you.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dongicus posted:

Pathologic 2 - Incredible game. Reminds me a lot of morrowind in that you're exploring a completely alien culture and have to piece together a lot of things by yourself through dialogue and context clues. Good poo poo, get the feeling I've missed a lot of content though, so I'll replay it pretty soon.

I really hope they get to make the other 2 characters

What did you play on? I have it on PC and PS4 Pro because I thought the latter would help with the loading but it's like 10 seconds moving between each part of town on PS4. My PC is worse but maybe if I drop the graphics way down. Dropped it for other stuff at the time

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

3. Return of the Obra-Dinn
4. Dark Souls Remastered (Platinum Trophy): Beat this for the first time last year or the year before and continued my NG+ but got to OS easily and then got obliterated without doing anything lol because my insanely bad newbie build had like 20 bit and 45 faith and never cast miracles. So I just got the final miracles I was missing from Nito and Gwyndolin and restarted. Tore though the game in like 12 hours compared to my first 101 hour play through lol. Had so much fun now that I know what a build for melee should be like as well as knowing how to handle bs areas like BoC or the area outside the forest covenant. Beat every boss first try mostly except OS. Man this game rules os hard when you know what you're doing. did a dodge only run until I got to Gwynn. H'es a super fun fight but really hard to roll agains and didn't feel like boringly parrying 5 BKs every time I wanted to try so after the first try or two parried him to death mercilessly. Dark Lord ending and Kaathe Covenant ftw

e: Though after having to try any boss more than once I'm glad Sekiro effectively removed all boss runs and just have an idol right beside them. They're not fun or interesting just laborious even when you sprint so slowly past all the enemies on the way.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 18, 2021

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gonna beat Sekiro next for sure lol. But will probably plat DAS2 after finishing it first, my pal has platted them all and said Sekiro took ages due to the skill points taking multiple playthroughs to grind up.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My friend didn't have too much trouble getting the summons for the convent stuff (she platted all the games) but yeah 3 is def the one I'm most avoiding for that lol. So many covenants needing so many PvP wins lol. DS2 I don't have that many trophies but need to play 1.5 more times to get all the spells from that dude at Drangleic and finish Bernhart and Lucatiel quests. Annoying that 1 and 2 both have some random small thing in an NG++ midpoint you have to go and get an just that. Same as making Sif's soul 3 possible items so you have to go to AL a third time.

e: 2 took me ages to get all the sunlight medals on by doing Nashandra a tonne, such BS if the host did Watcher and Stabber, Nashandra, and Aldia all back to back and you only got one medal or potentially none when they loving healed right beside Aldia's super obvious AOE

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That’s crazy

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In Training posted:

The details of my life are quite inconsequential. I played this game on a display SNES at Sears while my family was waiting to get out family portrait taken. Even at 12 years old something about the way it looked troubled me. It looked like plastic where the preceding two games looked like clay. It stank of the worst type of appalachian Americana. Who invited the Country Bear Jamboree?
                                                                                                                                                                              /

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

4. Dark Souls Remastered (Platinum Trophy):
5. Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin NG+: Completed NG+ and now I just need to get to Chancellor Wellager in Drangleic Castle to buy the last two spells I need and I'll have my plat. Overall a mixed bag, the game has some really cool ideas like powerstancing and the Estus chards and travel from the start. But then they brought back the death punishments and stupid dodge roll stat lol. Mechanically after all that I like it quite a bit, I think the combat works pretty well and the super slow cautious healing is high pressure but really makes you take care of how you create safety in fights. Generally I think it suffers from super dull bosses in the base game bar one imo and every single area I found myself in on the replay I either thought "oh gently caress not here again" or I didn't think about the area. I think 1 is like this also but has a bunch of really good areas and the worst areas you can skip when you know your stuff. Amana is still an out bastard between those final bonfires.

I love that it adds new stuff on NG+ though, really cool and imo I wish they'd done this in 1 and 3 (don't think they did). Again some of these were a mixed bag like adding really annoying ranged spam to lost sinner but other ones were cool challenges or really funny trolls for an experienced player. Having enough fun to finish my plat run but also can't see myself returning to this over any other from game basically.

e: also my hot take is that Watcher and Defender are better than O&S

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Klowner posted:

Velstadt?

many of the boss fights are actually really cool in concept but when I think about fighting them or playing the game at all I just get sick

Excluding DLC ofc but no it's the Watche and Defender who I think might do the OS thing as good or better lol. Vestaldt is fine most bosses are but they're all just the same fight p much. Even 1 doesn't have that many good bosses but it has them where it counts. Like first time taking on the bell gargoyles, meeting OS, the Four Kings, Sif, Gwynn is cool too. though ofc this is all predicated on not turtling behind a shield lol. Even the midtier bosses of 1 at least are more varied.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

mysterious loyall X posted:

we all beat persona 5 strikers while living at the same orphanage but forgot about it due to retrograde amnesia caused by a time travelling witch's curse

lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The only imp zone pioneer is the Naruto: Road to Boruto poster

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ArfJason posted:

dishonored: knife of dunwall

in the final mission it says i killed a dude even though i didnt. this is bullshit, man. anyway it was pretty good

2 finally includes the ability to see how many alerts and kills you’ve done mid mission

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

hot babe with humungous cans: "fadam baby pleases comeback to bed"

fadam, hunched over his laptop routing his signal to a shell corp in the Seychelles so his copy of Mad About You The Video Game: Remastered (with real Paul Reiser voice over) unlocks 45 mins sooner, is silent

HBWHC: Oh it's that awful imp zone pioneer isn't it

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

The last time someone posted about a game in here without having recently beat it. NSFL.

https://streamable.com/0bpr9d

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In Training posted:

POV 35 minutes after you asked the Boys to defend their FF tier lists

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Also lmfao when halfway through the camera spins around and one of the identical topless dudes is just slamming something against a wal

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

American McGay posted:

Alucard is Dracula spelled backwards.

I don’t think that’s true

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

MrMidnight posted:

Hades.

Great game but jfc I couldn't stand Meg and her vocal fry as gently caress voice

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Look at that neck thickness, no imp is getting through that... for now

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

5. Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin NG+:
6. Sekiro: Shadow Dies Twice: I still have to play half the from games but I've played part of them all and beaten DAS 1 and 2 anyway I can't imagine any of them other than Bloodborne approaching the god like levels of sekiro. The parry system is the perfect level of simple/complex without any stupid stance stuff or equipment or anything. All the mainline bosses are better than most bosses in other games and the final three big boys are godly. The skills could have been capped way sooner though because you get most of the good ones early and the weapon arts aren't that crazy good anyway imo. Once you have mortal draw and shuriken I didn't get much use out of most other stuff but oh well! Just about to wrap up NG+ then gonna take a long break and do the gauntlets in a few weeks.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

4pe Escape is right there...

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

American McGay posted:

5/20 - Hateboard 2145 (Any%)

i played it and i dont think the gameplay concept was fully developed op, its more style over substance here. only in the final boss does it start to make sense with the concept for sustaining yourself in the air with timed bursts to maintain a combo but that makes doing tricks completely unnecessary outside of initially building meter for that first attack, worst of all all the levels before dont encourage ro provide much of a means for this playstyle until the end anyway. momentum isn't utilised in a way that makes it feel like skateboarding and ramps are more of a nuisance than an opportunity to build score and meter, if there was a more developed trick system and height buildup with the skateboarding aspect emphasized it would give more to do when not hitting the burst button

Me reading this earlier out of context: :dumb:

me reading this now: :dudsmile:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I only ever played ME2 and I took the bald girls side in an arguemnt against the hot evil babe I was at full sex score with and she Never forgave me despite her being wrong even when I did a tonne of missions to finally repair the rep. Then when the sex scene was supposed to happen he just pawed at a picture of the blue bird I clicked that I rode in the last game when setting up my shepherd without a previous save

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

5. Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin NG+:
6. Sekiro: Shadow Dies Twice:
7. Dark Souls 3 (Platinum): Mechanically the best souls game I think and probably the one id be most likely to play again in the future, probably the best bosses in the series too. Lots of really great fights. Felt the most unengaged by the world though despite how good it looked. The DLC then was a big letdown, the enemy locations and maps themselves were total dogs hit to end the series on. Friede and Gael were really cool fights though, all timers for sure.

8. Demon's Souls Remaster (Platinum): Was a weird one because it looks so good (drastically improved visuals so you can really see how it should always have looked) but handled so awkwardly compared to older games. Also stuff like damage type being hugely effective caught me out as well as doing the hub world out of order and being bodied by skeletons in world 4 after Tower Knight. After that it was fun but easier than the other games and the bosses all tended to die quiet fast except that loving man-eater. Overall though despite being pretty easy with bad bosses it was probably my favourite souls world to spend time in so far, really liked that part about it and chatting to everyone. Except that Stockpile Thomas. They changed his VA or got him to do a much younger voice and he always sounded like a DM creep when you came back to the nexus.

9. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle: Fairly similar to the first but with some good and bad changes. They removed the sandbox and just did area select which probably was better but also lame that they didn't just improve the stuff you could do in the sandbox, I liked it tbh. The new mini games for jobs were a lot more fun and involved and each one was viable for making all the money you needed which was cool. They also made the training mini games scale to be harder instead of static which was nice but the attack power mini game was really bad and got incredibly difficult by the end with a way too high cost for every attempt and lots of menu clicking between tries. The late bosses were all series best ones apart from the final boss which might be the worst of the series for me. The combat also seems much less involved and it was already fairly simple but fun, but they removed having to attack enemies high or low depending on guards and a bunch of other fun stuff. Over all left it feeling letdown after 1, feels like the stuff they removed isn't outweighs by the good stuff they added. Still excited for TSA and 3 though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Arrhythmia posted:

Control

Insanely cool. It wasn't quite what I expected; I was going in thinking the combat would be more like Prey's, where you fight one or two big beefy bitches at a time, and the weirdness would be more like Antichamber's with shifting perspective and such nonsense. What I got left me way happier than what I was expecting to get though.

The middle third of the game kind of dragged, and the Alan Wake dlc was strangely out of place and frankly not very good, but the last portion of the game from the ash tray maze onwards had me absolutely glued to my seat. Absolutely worth the $20 I spent on it.

I need to get back to it but I found the midsection after you find your bother that there were so many insanely tacky dudes who smashed you to like 10% hp from across the map where all the other enemies are so healing was a pain. Though I was doing foundation stuff when I dropped it.