Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Today a watch standard got called an insubordination frog over the radio by a (allegedly) retired coast guard cwo.

It's a case that's on one hour and they have yet told us where they at, they need fuel and their taxes pay us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

ElMaligno posted:

insubordination frog

Mods, name change please.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

FrozenVent posted:

Mods, name change please.

please

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I called it first.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

FrozenVent posted:

I called it first.

i'll have you know im a warrant officer, do you copy you insubordinate frog?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Got a call from Base Boston today about installing a radio on a 110'. This would be cool and make me feel important except I don't know poo poo about radios, cutters, installing radios on cutters, or why Base Boston would think I know. Like how did they even get my number. I have never been there.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Eason the Fifth posted:

Got a call from Base Boston today about installing a radio on a 110'. This would be cool and make me feel important except I don't know poo poo about radios, cutters, installing radios on cutters, or why Base Boston would think I know. Like how did they even get my number. I have never been there.

The 110 grift continues, you should have told em it would cost 5 million and you'd use all shielded cabling.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Elendil004 posted:

The 110 grift continues, you should have told em it would cost 5 million and you'd use all shielded cabling.

If the IDS Program hadn't been shitcanned I coulda asked for 10M easy 🤔

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

nwin posted:

Not having fun with the scavenger hunt for signatures?

Are you making your hat box or buying it?

I didn’t see too much helping out when I was a JO but holy poo poo I felt for those guys when we were helping cook for the other chiefs. Jesus gently caress it was like they were all getting bitched at as non-rates all over again.

Making it. It's a crab trap for crabby Chiefs. I told them they were a bunch of asshats and they got mad. Whatever. I call it as I see it. One dude got a concussion cause they picked a poo poo spot for breakfast and he slipped on the ice. loving twat waffles were more concerned about donuts and their burritos.

Melthir fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Apr 12, 2022

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Melthir posted:

twat waffles

That's gonna be a nope from me.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

just call them mutinous frogs

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I DO NOT WANT A NEW CARRISA II: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

McNally posted:

That's gonna be a nope from me.

Got it, not trying to offend. Is that a slur. Would sister fisters be accepted? Dick slammer. Need something about as absurd as a parachute on the space shuttle that flows well to replace it with.

Melthir fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 18, 2022

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Melthir posted:

absurd as a parachute on the space shuttle

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Melthir posted:

Got it, not trying to offend. Is that a slur. Would sister fisters be accepted? Dick slammer. Need something about as absurd as a parachute on the space shuttle that flows well to replace it with.

loving White People works wonders for me.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Honestly I ment for the astronauts but I had no idea the shuttle had a parachute. That's pretty cool.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Melthir posted:

Honestly I ment for the astronauts but I had no idea the shuttle had a parachute. That's pretty cool.

I think they had individual parachutes, actually.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Oh hey D13 put a pause on scheduling HHG....

I still haven't done mine LMAO

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Because covid? Maybe lack of available movers?

I’ve got mine scheduled for early June…hoping since I’m in DC and there’s tons of military I don’t get hosed too hard, but it’s my last PCS so it’s kinda guaranteed, right?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

nwin posted:

Because covid? Maybe lack of available movers?

I’ve got mine scheduled for early June…hoping since I’m in DC and there’s tons of military I don’t get hosed too hard, but it’s my last PCS so it’s kinda guaranteed, right?

Yep. I am routing to get authorized to do a PPM or maybe even a full DITTY move.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ElMaligno posted:

Yep. I am routing to get authorized to do a PPM or maybe even a full DITTY move.

Yep, that’s the way to handle it if you’re able. That or a POD if they’ll reimburse you-Portland to buffalo is a long way to drive.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

nwin posted:

Yep, that’s the way to handle it if you’re able. That or a POD if they’ll reimburse you-Portland to buffalo is a long way to drive.

They did send out an email that they would reimburse the full amount on a PPM move so I'm all for it.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Also the wife is on board for a full ditty move, and because we are getting rid of most of our furniture I think it might be our best option

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Got approved for an apartment a little below my BAH rate, 7 minute ride to work, in a nice walkable and bikable area, and with a Puerto Rican Restaurant/Dance club/nightclub minutes away.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

Got approved for an apartment a little below my BAH rate, 7 minute ride to work, in a nice walkable and bikable area, and with a Puerto Rican Restaurant/Dance club/nightclub minutes away.

Nice.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Eve nicer, there is a nice balcony and a little patio on the back for Juniper. My wife is so excited for that part lmao

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

As I sit here watching my poo poo get thrown in a truck, I’m extremely loving hyped that this should be my last PCS.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Man I hope the new MKs are as good as the two that just left cause some unit in Florida just won the lottery.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Finally got my ceremonial advancement to E6, sad that my brother wasnt able to attend. Also last night watch and a few more days before I move to Buffalo.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

Finally got my ceremonial advancement to E6, sad that my brother wasnt able to attend. Also last night watch and a few more days before I move to Buffalo.

Congratulations man. Honestly looking forward to having you in Buffalo hopefully you can help the sector guys out.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Holy gently caress. There is a bounty on recruitment. Massive bonuses, all the crusty bastards are dropping retirement letters....things are looking good.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Melthir posted:

Holy gently caress. There is a bounty on recruitment. Massive bonuses, all the crusty bastards are dropping retirement letters....things are looking good.

What do you mean? I know the $1000 bonus or whatever for signing someone up and there’s probably some SRB’s out there…

I didn’t realize all the retirements though. Super curious how things are going to look in 5-10 years. I’ve got 3 left until I drop my letter.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
United States Coast Guard Ready Workforce 2030: $1000 bounty per head

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Eason the Fifth posted:

United States Coast Guard Ready Workforce 2030: $1000 bounty per head

Tomorrow looks different and so will we. Yes, because we won’t have enough bodies to do our 11 statutory missions. We’ll staff every unit with auxiliarists and pray they don’t die on watch.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Our auxiliary is terrible because we don't enable them and encourage them when they do good poo poo. Dieing on watch is a good way to go better then the toilet.

Edit: on a reread the sarcasm doesn't come across very well. Dieing on watch would be a horrible way to go.

Melthir fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 8, 2022

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

In a world of massive bonuses and personal shortages how many years do you guys think it's going to be before this poo poo gets really bad? We got told not to expect a non rate for a couple of years.

Melthir fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 6, 2023

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Things are going good in buffalo, also buying a house

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

By things going good in buffalo i mean with me, my sector is going to be in deep poo poo coming summer. We are loosing 4 OUs, our most experienced guy will have one summer under his belt. We are also loosing two OS2 selects.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Melthir posted:

In a world of massive bonuses and personal shortages how many years do you guys think it's going to be before this poo poo gets really bad? We got told not to expect a non rate for a couple of years.

I dunno man. I have yet to see a decent carrot on a stick to retain anyone. They started doing bonuses for department heads on cutters and even investigation officers for prevention, but those jobs are miserable.

It’s probably the same as it always has been to some degree. Our top people are leaving in favor of better prospects outside the coast guard where they don’t have to move all the time or be treated like a kid. Zukufnt (sp?) promised more geostability but the only thing I saw out of that was MST’s getting 5 year tours at feeder ports, and that’s not enough to make a splash.

So when the top people leave, we’re left with a few who want to be in the coast guard, another handful whom are stuck (hi, I have 17 years in and I’m riding this out until 20 for the pension), and some others that don’t have other options.

That’s definitely a pessimistic take on it and I’m generalizing, but I’m curious how this place will look in 5-10 years if we continue to be unable to
Hit our numbers. They started throwing more 3rd class cadets to cutters during the summer so at least the cutters have some grunts around to do some deck work due to lack of non rates. What’s next? Throw some more to the sector to mow lawns?

Future is bleak. I’m curious what Fagan says at the state of the coast guard and how much of it is attainable. I think we definitely need more money at least towards junior enlisted. The fact that people are relying on food banks to make ends meet is not ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

By things going good in buffalo i mean with me, my sector is going to be in deep poo poo coming summer. We are loosing 4 OUs, our most experienced guy will have one summer under his belt. We are also loosing two OS2 selects.

Come hang out at A-bay for some "area fam"