Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

gently caress, FINE! I'll watch Kwaidan! I'll stop putting it on my lists and taking it off because of that run time! I'll just watch it!

Its on HBO Max, FYI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Kwaidan is another one I've seen very recently. Beautiful movie.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Kwaidan is on my list for this year so maybe it is time to dive in.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Not that I'd recommend it, but Kwaidan is an anthology with no wraparound story so watching it over multiple sittings is an option.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

The Berzerker posted:

Kwaidan is on my list for this year so maybe it is time to dive in.

You should. As someone who let's run-times scare me into procrastinating, Kwaidan is a beautiful anthology film with breezy pacing. Sucks you right in.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Friend of the thread Fr0id is streaming Deep Red tonight, if you haven't had a chance to watch that one yet. Find out more in the horror discord

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Watched Invasion of the Body Snatchers because I mistakenly thought it was set in DC. Really that sums it up as even though I know I've seen this more than once its been so long that I remembered very little about it or had it confused with other movies. So great. So tense from the start to end and in different ways. Act 1 about one person's struggle worrying she might be losing it as she sees problems around her and feels like the world is going insane but no one will really listen to her. Act 2 as everyone realizes the world is going insane and is just struggling to get a handle of it and make any sense of it and get their bearings. And the last act where its justa desperate struggle to not drown in it and be taken down and become part of the madness even as it feels completely hopeless.

Great cast. I always kind of forget Jeff Goldblum is actually a good actor and not just a character actor. Veronica Cartwright is great in that role of the person both on the brink of completely losing it the whole time but also able to hold on and outwit just about everyone. And Brooke Adams is great and I think the MVP even though I totally thought she was Karen Allen the entire film.

I'm in too much pain to write more about it but I loved it and love that this thread got me to revisit it. I'm gonna definitely try and revisit the other to Body Snatcher films but I agree this is probably the best one. But I liked both of those from my memory so I want to double check. But first I gotta work my way through this. Next, my first viewing of Eyes Without A Face.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I always think the standout in that movie is Leonard Nimoy, but I'm a sucker for that kind of slightly sleazy "guy just hawking his books" kind of role.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Today's horror essential is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ftmr17M-a4

The Thing

There isn't much to say about this one that hasn't been said a million times in the horror thread and in countless video reviews. It's a triumph of practical effects, a dizzying display of all manner of slimy grossness, using every trick in the book to bring this ever-transforming creature to life in a way that looks realer than what CGI can accomplish to this day. It's a beautifully shot descent into paranoia and mistrust, a body horror spectacle, a film that redefines what it means for something to be "alien". It's a moody film that makes you feel isolated and cold even if you watch it in august with a group of friends. It's also one of the best lit films in movie history. And who can forget how one critic perfectly encapsulated the film:

If you've somehow never seen every horror nerd's favorite film, now is the perfect time to change that.

Available to rent on iTunes TV, Cineplex, Google Play Movies, and Youtube

And for those of you who have seen it, which I imagine is most of you, I recommend watching a Carpenter horror film you haven't seen. I particularly recommend Christine, which I think a lot of people put off because it has such a b-movie premise. The film rises well above its schlocky concept and is one of my personal favorites. Prince of Darkness, The Fog, In the Mouth of Madness and Body Bags are all excellent horror films as well. John Carpenter completely deserves the title of Master of Horror.

I'll be streaming Kwaidan at 8 PM EST tonight, join me here if you want a chance to tick a movie off your list. Don't forget to install this extension before tuning in.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 21, 2021

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm a day late and dollar short, but here's your horror essential:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuO26oJQLVs

Carrie (1976)

The very first film adaptation of a Stephen King book remains one of the very best. Brian De Palma's visual storytelling is flawless in this film, and Sissy Spacek is heartbreakingly believable as the shy, abused lead. This film has more in common with a greek tragedy than a traditional horror movie, and like a lot of King's work it focuses on the mundane cruelty of everyday people. You probably knew someone in your high school who would've treated Carrie like poo poo. While everyone knows the basic story of Carrie, and there is a campy element to just how obvious it is that none of the cast are actually teenagers, this film still completely holds up as the single best adaptation of this novel. Some of the scenes in this film will stay with you for years to come. If you've avoided it because it's from the 70s, you've been missing out on one of the best entries in the horror genre.

Available to stream on Starz, available to rent on Youtube, Google Play Videos, Microsoft Store, Apple iTunes TV, Prime Video, Vudu and Cineplex.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I've always liked Eyes Without a Face by Billy Idol.

Lurdiak posted:

And for those of you who have seen it, which I imagine is most of you, I recommend watching a Carpenter horror film you haven't seen.

Prince of Darkness...

I need to watch this one. It's been stuck on Very Long Wait on my Netflix queue for the last decade. It might be time to get it from the library.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Snow Day so I'm trying to burn through some of these.

Child's Play remains great. I think its funny that whenever I go awhile without seeing it I always go back to the default false assumption that they hide Chucky and really play the angle that it could be Andy. But they really don't. The viewer knows its Chucky really early and by the half way point of the film all the key players know its Chucky. And from that point it its just in your face killer doll running around slashing fuckers and 90% of it looks great. I also love the way the characters play it. They're rational people. They don't believe the doll killed anyone. But you know... you gotta look just to make sure, right? The battery scene is absolutely classic and I love how those initial Chucky vs Human Adult scenes play all about the complete and total shock of what's happening giving Chucky a frenzied advantage. Sure, if you squared up with a doll they'd have no chance. But HOLY gently caress A DOLL IS TRYING TO KILL ME?!?!?! Its played perfectly.

"You believe me now?"
"Yeah. But who's gonna believe me?"

Its a great film and now I'm gonna have to go and rewatch the whole series because I really think the Chucky franchise is one of the strongest top to bottom one and most interesting for is shard creator and constant evolution.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Today's horror essential is....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btGEvamuaA4

Maniac (1980)

A deeply grimy and unpleasant look into the activities of a serial killer living in New York City. This is not a fun tense spooky movie or an enjoyably violent gore showcase, despite some amazing effects by Tom Savini. It's an unflinching look into a deeply gross person's deeply gross behavior, where the only humanizing moments are when we see how pathetic and empty he truly is. Joe Spinell feels far too believable in the lead role, and there's not a single second he's on screen that isn't simultaneously captivating and seriously offputting. Despite some elements of surrealism, this film feels like a documentary at times, which just makes all the violence hit that much harder. Watch this to experience horror of a very different kind.

Available to stream on Shudder, Tubi and Prime Video

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Lurdiak posted:

Today's horror essential is....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btGEvamuaA4

Maniac (1980)

A deeply grimy and unpleasant look into the activities of a serial killer living in New York City. This is not a fun tense spooky movie or an enjoyably violent gore showcase, despite some amazing effects by Tom Savini. It's an unflinching look into a deeply gross person's deeply gross behavior, where the only humanizing moments are when we see how pathetic and empty he truly is. Joe Spinell feels far too believable in the lead role, and there's not a single second he's on screen that isn't simultaneously captivating and seriously offputting. Despite some elements of surrealism, this film feels like a documentary at times, which just makes all the violence hit that much harder. Watch this to experience horror of a very different kind.

Available to stream on Shudder, Tubi and Prime Video

gently caress yeah, I love this movie. I think the remake is better, and one of the best things Elijah Wood has done, but they're both great.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I been avoiding that one...

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Maniac (2012) is every bit as good as the original. A rare feat.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

1980 Maniac was so unsettling, Spinell is much too convincing like the op said. The scene where he peeks in a car window creeped me out so bad.

I have the 2012 Maniac but haven't watched it. I'll try to get to that and Kwaidan this week.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Note: I'm helping Lurdiak finish the thread up since he's probated. He let me know to write about this movie, but it's otherwise my own posting, not his.

Gojira

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNDH2mX8wf4

Most people already know that this is a movie made in reaction to the nuclear bombing of Japan at the end of World War II and the subsequent atomic testing conducted by the United States in the Pacific. Japan remains the only nation in history to have ever suffered a deliberate nuclear attack. In addition, Japan was targeted by the US in a massive campaign of firebombing of cities, affecting both civilian and military/industrial targets. Gojira is a film that evokes imagery of those events, be it the burning of cities or of the piles of people inflicted with radiation burns. There are many iconic shots in Gojira depicting both the scale of Gojira itself and the scale of the destruction caused by it. The human story in the film is a simple, but moving one, involving love, duty, and proliferation of super weapons. The core of any kaiju film is its human story, and this one presents the themes of the film through character actions while being engaging in its own right.

The Gojira/Godzilla franchise has lead to 36 different films, over the course of nearly 70 years. It is one of the first and most prominent examples of the Japanese kaiju/giant monster genre. Godzilla films have commented on World War 2, nuclear weapons, Japanese bureaucracy, Japanese nationalism, and Japan's place in the world. Gojira remains as one of the few singular films in the franchise, and likely still the best one. I'd personally recommend that anyone wanting to "know" about Gojira/Godzilla should watch it and Shin Godzilla, the latter being a great alternative if you have already seen Gojira.

Available to stream on HBO max, The Criterion Channel, Kanopy, and Watch TCM. Available to rent on Amazon, Fandango Now, and Apple TV.

I'm guessing a lot of people have already seen Gojira and Shin Gojira, so I would also recommend Bombs on Bikini Atoll, a documentary about the United States' nuclear testing. Gojira is not just about the original nuclear attack by the United States, but also its continued nuclear testing and its possible effects on the environment.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

I want to add that the cinematography of gojira is really amazing. There’s a scene where a group of dozens of villagers are all climbing up a. The shot is angled up to show high high this hill is, the villagers stream up it like ants. Suddenly, this massive demonic head looms up over the hill. Not the body, just this nightmarish head from a monster taller than the hill itself. One of the greatest monster reveals of all time, straight out of folklore.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Martin (1977)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNIGTSdKPl0

So, I've actually never seen this film myself. Like Romero's Dawn of the Dead, it is in a streaming rights hell that makes it pretty inaccessible for your average viewer. This is a vampire film, but an atypical one, with that kind of magical realism that Romero films exude. Romero's films tend to ground their fantastical elements with the griminess of their human characters. None of us are likely to experience zombie or vampire attacks, but we can all understand human prejudice, greed, and pettiness. Romero's films involve flawed people attempting to face the supernatural with the utmost effort and creativity. People fail due to either their own flaws or the flaws of others who impose upon them.

Martin is available to stream or rent from no American services! Find your own way to watch this classic!

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Our final horror essential is...

Braindead (1992)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puvjr9kDQuU

As is Horror Essentials tradition, Lurdiak chose a movie that is not so much an essential as a weird movie that he likes. This is definitely a weirder one. You’ll find Braindead (or Dead Alive) on a lot of lists of grossest/goriest movies, and I imagine that it alone floated the New Zealand goop manufacturing industry for the whole year of 1992. Dead Alive is a movie of pure excess. Southern gothic through a New Zealand lens: polite society is inverted by introduction of the grotesque, and we find that the most grotesque scenes of all are those in which repression fails.

Braindead is also unavailable to stream or rent on any US services. Find a way to watch it and enjoy the goop!

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Here’s a list of this year’s horror essentials to help folks keep track!

https://letterboxd.com/lurdiak/list/january-horror-essentials-2021/

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Spatulater bro! posted:

Maniac (2012) is every bit as good as the original. A rare feat.

So I did get around to watching it this week (Kwaidan probably tomorrow), and I have to agree. I really love the grimy sleaze of 1980's Maniac and Joe Spinell is so unsettling, but the 2012 Maniac is really excellent. The updates all feel reasonable and it manages to feel like a new movie while still following the same beats of the original, plus the soundtrack was great. Glad I finally made a point to watch it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

You know how I said TCM is my favorite horror? I lied, it's Braindead. It absolutely blew my mind when I was 16 and I've loved it ever since.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I didn't really have the time to dive into this but I still plan to rewatch a lot of the films and watch the 3 films I've never seen - Eyes Without A Face, Kwaidan, and Maniac. I just never found myself in the right place for them either because of subtitles, length, or me being burned out on stuff like Maniac. But they're on my list and I plan to get to them in the next couple of weeks.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I watched Kwaidan, and it was really fantastic. The sets are beautiful and haunting, the sound is excellent, the stories are all fine. I feel like the third story is the strongest and by the time you hit the fourth you're a little burnt out (likely due to a combo of the runtime, and the third story being so good). The beginning of the second story trudging through the snow with the eye in the sky watching, was really effective and I'll probably try to make a desktop background out of it. I am glad I finally watched it.

I also still plan to watch Eyes Without a Face but I had had enough of subtitles for one sitting so I watched Psycho Goreman instead.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Thank you to everyone who participated in this thread. There were certainly a lot fewer posts this time around, and no one made lists, but I still think it was a worthwhile endeavor. Hopefully it was nothing I did that led to this diminished enthusiasm, and some of you still got to expand your horror pedigree. I'll be streaming a 3-movie marathon tomorrow chosen from this year's list at 6 PM EST tomorrow. I'm having patrons of the Scream Stream vote on it over on patreon and they're being slowbies, so I unfortunately can't quite tell you the lineup with certainty yet. :sweatdrop:

Regardless, it will be hosted here.

Special thanks to fr0id for picking up the slack after I got incapacitated by my own bad posting.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Speaking for myself it was just a time crunch. I had already started the Bracketology and signed up for a Letterboxd scavenger hunt for the month so I was trying to watch these movies but they kept being on the back of the list.

But it did get me to revisit a couple of classics I loved and I'm still gonna watch the movies I haven't seen. I might for Eyes Without A Face tonight. I think this is great and I really appreciated it.

And I'd nominate Ganja & Hess for next year's list. Its such a unique and interesting film that has such significance with black directors, cast, and themes. There's a lot of story to it from Duane Jones' two iconic performances in horror and virtually no other roles or Tony Gunn's status as one of the first black directors and his war with the studio over what this film would be. There's two cuts out there - one a very difficult to follow art piece by Gunn and one a more linear story using Gunn's own footage he chose to delete. And so many themes of addiction, religion, upward movement, etc. It feels very worth of "essential" in a genre that has so few black films widely considered "essential."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The votes are in, and the lineup will be:

Gojira, The Thing, and Martin.

Tune in if you haven't seen them. Martin is Romero's most emotional and intimate film, and it's really something special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I really appreciate this thread - like others, a time crunch prevented me from rewatching many, *but* I was surprised and happy that I had seen all of them already except 2, Dead Of Night and Kwaidan! I watched Dead Of Night a week ago, which was new to me, and I have Kwaidan queued up for this month when I'll have time.