Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Seriously though make sure you watch the proper cut. Especially this year that we lost Daria, gotta make sure you get the full Daria experience.

STAC Goat posted:

I'm running out of big Argento films to first experience. I might watch Mother of Tears.

I liked Mother of Tears more than I was expecting. Probably because I had my bar of expectations set at "Argento's Dracula" and it wasn't nearly as bad as that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Rewatched Deep Red and saw Tenebre for the first time today, and I definitely enjoyed Tenebre more.

They're definitely very different giallo(gialli?), at least if you watched the Daria cut of Deep Red. Tenebre is much more of a straight ahead, but very intense and very effective giallo. Deep Red is more meandering and has a lighter tone in certain parts.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The more you delve into Hooper's filmography the more you understand that the narrative about Spielberg/Poltergeist is like 90% horseshit. The 10% that's true involves the fact that yes, Spielberg was involved and was often on set. Being involved doesn't mean you directed the film, as Spielberg has proven many times over the years with his producing work. There's a difference.

A big part of the issue comes down to the fact that Hooper is "The Texas Chainsaw guy" in the minds of so many people, and so they have a hard time with the idea that he'd make something like Poltergeist. But Hooper was versatile, and I think he proved to be absolutely capable of doing something with a lighter, more Spielbergian slant to it without having to give up the reigns completely to someone else.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Scott's "I Believe" speech at the end is pretty great.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Exorcist II is good :argh:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's just funny that they got Boorman to do this highly anticipated sequel and then everyone was like "wait a second, this is kinda weird!" as if he hadn't just made Zardoz a few years before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Not that I'd recommend it, but Kwaidan is an anthology with no wraparound story so watching it over multiple sittings is an option.