Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The first one was a big starter to filling my very wide gaps in horror and I look forward to once again filling more gaps this year.

Even if I have way too much stuff to watch already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You could watch something else Clive Barker. Lord of Illusions, Nightbreed, Midnight Meat Train, I'm sure there's others?

Yeah, Baskin would have been my first idea of "Hellraiser like".

I guess you could just watch the other Hellraiser movies. Clearly "essential."

edit:
https://letterboxd.com/writer/clive-barker/
https://letterboxd.com/director/clive-barker/

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 2, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its fun, even if its basically 2 different films clumsily squeezed together. But its two films I like.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm running out of big Argento films to first experience. I might watch Mother of Tears.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It feels like a gross conversation (and I think she's plenty attractive) but I don't think any part of the story relies on Julia being some kind of special beauty. She's seducing men but she's clearly kind of uncomfortable with it at first and they're clearly not the hardest targets in the world. And Frank is drawn to her because he's a scumbag who uses women and wants to gently caress his brother's wife, and then needs her to live.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I've been blown away by Hooper's catalogue. He's easily the most versatile and ambidextrous of the "Masters of Horror". TCM2 is entirely different from TCM. Even the TCM and Eaten Alive only kind of feel like distant cousins. Eaten Alive is sleazier and almost a character study of one crazy guy's total break down. TCM's comparatively more self reserved and methodical with what it does.

So yeah, I see no reason at all to assume Hooper made Poltergeist and its just another thng he did really, really well.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've owed that one a rewatch for quite some time. Yay!

I did watch Hellraiser the other day as well as Books of Blood. Books is whatever. Its apparently very loosely based on anything Barker. The basic idea is kind of interesting and I enjoyed the Britt Robertson story but I think the rest of it kind of doesn't come together and it works too hard to sell the last act that just doesn't quite make it.

But Hellraiser is just a great drat film. In paper its not at all something I'd like. The story is thin and loose and the characters are basically one dimensional with no stand out performances. Its overly reliant on style over substance and gore and sex. I don't mind those things at all but they don't work as draws for me either. So its really impressive how much it all just clicks perfectly for me. Good is good and Hellraiser is just a masterpiece of gore and goop and weird eroticism. There may be no better werewolf transformation scene on film than the scene of Frank pulling himself back together early in the film. Its just incredible to watch decades later. And him going through the various stages of developing his layers like a health textbook or something. And the way everything he touch just ends up all goopy and all his clothes and even skin. Its great. Its so gross. The Cenobite stuff is really just that second half cherry on the cake that elevates it and keeps it from running cold. I wore out a VHS copy of Hellraiser when I was young, I've seen it so many times, and I imagine I'll see it plenty times more.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its also on HBO Max.

Finally one I haven't seen. Definitely gonna make time for that one.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I swear I intend to watch these or substitutes for them. Just time.

I have however seen every singly Child's Play movie including the remake. And every Mancini film. And every Holland film. So maybe I'll save myself some time and skip this entry.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think they're all up on Showtime at the moment if you have it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Exorcist II is.... certainly not worth labeling the worst film ever :argh:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dead of Night's great. I rewatched it over Christmas and its just the complete bar for wraparound anthologies.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

gently caress, FINE! I'll watch Kwaidan! I'll stop putting it on my lists and taking it off because of that run time! I'll just watch it!

Its on HBO Max, FYI.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Watched Invasion of the Body Snatchers because I mistakenly thought it was set in DC. Really that sums it up as even though I know I've seen this more than once its been so long that I remembered very little about it or had it confused with other movies. So great. So tense from the start to end and in different ways. Act 1 about one person's struggle worrying she might be losing it as she sees problems around her and feels like the world is going insane but no one will really listen to her. Act 2 as everyone realizes the world is going insane and is just struggling to get a handle of it and make any sense of it and get their bearings. And the last act where its justa desperate struggle to not drown in it and be taken down and become part of the madness even as it feels completely hopeless.

Great cast. I always kind of forget Jeff Goldblum is actually a good actor and not just a character actor. Veronica Cartwright is great in that role of the person both on the brink of completely losing it the whole time but also able to hold on and outwit just about everyone. And Brooke Adams is great and I think the MVP even though I totally thought she was Karen Allen the entire film.

I'm in too much pain to write more about it but I loved it and love that this thread got me to revisit it. I'm gonna definitely try and revisit the other to Body Snatcher films but I agree this is probably the best one. But I liked both of those from my memory so I want to double check. But first I gotta work my way through this. Next, my first viewing of Eyes Without A Face.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Snow Day so I'm trying to burn through some of these.

Child's Play remains great. I think its funny that whenever I go awhile without seeing it I always go back to the default false assumption that they hide Chucky and really play the angle that it could be Andy. But they really don't. The viewer knows its Chucky really early and by the half way point of the film all the key players know its Chucky. And from that point it its just in your face killer doll running around slashing fuckers and 90% of it looks great. I also love the way the characters play it. They're rational people. They don't believe the doll killed anyone. But you know... you gotta look just to make sure, right? The battery scene is absolutely classic and I love how those initial Chucky vs Human Adult scenes play all about the complete and total shock of what's happening giving Chucky a frenzied advantage. Sure, if you squared up with a doll they'd have no chance. But HOLY gently caress A DOLL IS TRYING TO KILL ME?!?!?! Its played perfectly.

"You believe me now?"
"Yeah. But who's gonna believe me?"

Its a great film and now I'm gonna have to go and rewatch the whole series because I really think the Chucky franchise is one of the strongest top to bottom one and most interesting for is shard creator and constant evolution.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I been avoiding that one...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I didn't really have the time to dive into this but I still plan to rewatch a lot of the films and watch the 3 films I've never seen - Eyes Without A Face, Kwaidan, and Maniac. I just never found myself in the right place for them either because of subtitles, length, or me being burned out on stuff like Maniac. But they're on my list and I plan to get to them in the next couple of weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Speaking for myself it was just a time crunch. I had already started the Bracketology and signed up for a Letterboxd scavenger hunt for the month so I was trying to watch these movies but they kept being on the back of the list.

But it did get me to revisit a couple of classics I loved and I'm still gonna watch the movies I haven't seen. I might for Eyes Without A Face tonight. I think this is great and I really appreciated it.

And I'd nominate Ganja & Hess for next year's list. Its such a unique and interesting film that has such significance with black directors, cast, and themes. There's a lot of story to it from Duane Jones' two iconic performances in horror and virtually no other roles or Tony Gunn's status as one of the first black directors and his war with the studio over what this film would be. There's two cuts out there - one a very difficult to follow art piece by Gunn and one a more linear story using Gunn's own footage he chose to delete. And so many themes of addiction, religion, upward movement, etc. It feels very worth of "essential" in a genre that has so few black films widely considered "essential."