Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

The more you delve into Hooper's filmography the more you understand that the narrative about Spielberg/Poltergeist is like 90% horseshit. The 10% that's true involves the fact that yes, Spielberg was involved and was often on set. Being involved doesn't mean you directed the film, as Spielberg has proven many times over the years with his producing work. There's a difference.

A big part of the issue comes down to the fact that Hooper is "The Texas Chainsaw guy" in the minds of so many people, and so they have a hard time with the idea that he'd make something like Poltergeist. But Hooper was versatile, and I think he proved to be absolutely capable of doing something with a lighter, more Spielbergian slant to it without having to give up the reigns completely to someone else.

If anything, TCM is such an outlier in Hooper's filmography, with the the closest thing like it being Eaten Alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Today's horror essential is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQTy554ojoM

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

This remake of the 1956 classic ditches the Cold War analogy to portray a much more isolating and creeping sense of paranoia. With creature effects to rival any 80s monster flick and themes of modern alienation and sexism, this movie has some career best performances from some great actors as well as setpieces that will haunt you for years to come.

Available to stream on Hoopla, available to rent on Cineplex, Apple iTunes and the Microsoft Store

If you've already seen this film, might I recommend the 1956 original or the less ambitious 1993 remake?

Is the 1993 adaptation less ambitious? It's my favorite of the three, and it feels the most relevant to our current times in a lot of ways. What makes it lesser for you?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Berzerker posted:

Kwaidan is on my list for this year so maybe it is time to dive in.

You should. As someone who let's run-times scare me into procrastinating, Kwaidan is a beautiful anthology film with breezy pacing. Sucks you right in.