Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I haven't seen Hellraiser in years but it's stuck with me well. More recently I watched The Beyond (1981) and Black Sunday (1960) and saw elements from those.

e.g. These guys reminded me of the cenobites:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSJHO6_eJMM

Jezebel posted:

The only part of this movie I didn't like was when she ends up in the "hospital", because it felt unfinished- is she in a psych ward? Are the doctors agents of the cenobites? How does boyfriend show up?

I like the part where the IV bag explodes. I thought she was in a hospital and he was a permitted visitor.

Jezebel posted:

My only other issue is EXTREMELY PETTY: was Julia/Claire Higgins actually extremely attractive in the eyes of the 80s? I'm honestly curious, because I found her offputtingly unattractive- which is fine and she was great and I feel like a shallow rear end in a top hat- but it was weird to me that she was supposed to be gorgeous? Was there like...a shift in the cultural aesthetic zeitgeist between then and now? Was it just movie logic? Am I just blind and an rear end? (will accept "por que no los dos" as an answer)

She has style but I never got the feeling that she's supposed to be a runway model or something. She's even more stylish in the sequel.

Part of the story is that Frank is a huge womanizer and that he has to take advantage of every woman no matter the time: "It's never enough."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

If you remember the 2019 version of this thread, you might remember it had a challenge format, complete with prizes, and that a new classic was assigned each day. I feel that was maybe a little intense and not really in the spirit of things. This thread isn't meant to push people to marathon these classics as some kind of endurance test, it's simply an invitation to watch some great, historically important, influential entries in a genre we love.

I forgot to say that I enjoyed the last thread. I just lurked but it had a good ratio of films I'd seen/hadn't seen so I watched about one per week and liked them all:

-The 'Burbs
-Cat People
-The Haunting
-Candyman
-Bram Stoker's Dracula
-Possession

Actually I still need to see:

-Onibaba
-Maniac Cop 2

https://letterboxd.com/smitster/list/horror-thread-january-horror-essentials-2019/

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I've always liked Eyes Without a Face by Billy Idol.

Lurdiak posted:

And for those of you who have seen it, which I imagine is most of you, I recommend watching a Carpenter horror film you haven't seen.

Prince of Darkness...

I need to watch this one. It's been stuck on Very Long Wait on my Netflix queue for the last decade. It might be time to get it from the library.