Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I spent much of last year filling in my gaps in horror essentials so I'm going to follow along with this thread and dip in and out. The first two Hellraisers are a great time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

There is some animal cruelty in Deep Red in case that is something you would like to be aware of in advance. It is otherwise a great film that I watched for the first time just last year

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

She is and it is. Hellraiser 2 is very solid. Just don't go past 2 because the quality falls off a cliff.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

There's a guy on letterboxd who does nothing but argue with people who suggest Spielberg was more involved than credits indicate. I don't think it's meant to be a funny gimmick account but it is one, to me.

Poltergeist is the first horror movie I ever bought merch for (a shirt), I think it's really excellent. It would be the horror movie I'd show someone young who wanted to see something "scary"

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The 93 version is the only one I haven't seen so I'll try to track it down and post some thoughts

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I like Dead of Night a lot! I watched it last year. It's really cool to see an old anthology and how they set up the format with the wrap-around story. Wouldn't say it's incredible but the last story in the group (ventriloquist dummy shenanigans) is great fun.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Kwaidan is on my list for this year so maybe it is time to dive in.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

1980 Maniac was so unsettling, Spinell is much too convincing like the op said. The scene where he peeks in a car window creeped me out so bad.

I have the 2012 Maniac but haven't watched it. I'll try to get to that and Kwaidan this week.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Spatulater bro! posted:

Maniac (2012) is every bit as good as the original. A rare feat.

So I did get around to watching it this week (Kwaidan probably tomorrow), and I have to agree. I really love the grimy sleaze of 1980's Maniac and Joe Spinell is so unsettling, but the 2012 Maniac is really excellent. The updates all feel reasonable and it manages to feel like a new movie while still following the same beats of the original, plus the soundtrack was great. Glad I finally made a point to watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I watched Kwaidan, and it was really fantastic. The sets are beautiful and haunting, the sound is excellent, the stories are all fine. I feel like the third story is the strongest and by the time you hit the fourth you're a little burnt out (likely due to a combo of the runtime, and the third story being so good). The beginning of the second story trudging through the snow with the eye in the sky watching, was really effective and I'll probably try to make a desktop background out of it. I am glad I finally watched it.

I also still plan to watch Eyes Without a Face but I had had enough of subtitles for one sitting so I watched Psycho Goreman instead.