Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foG8zLMWJ_Y

Happy new year, horror fans!

Everyone has gaps in their movie viewing experience. In fact, we have a long-running thread meant to motivate people to watch classics they've been putting off. But many horror fans tend to watch an ungodly amount of films every year. Dozens of bootleg tapes of italian knockoffs per month, hundreds of no-budget direct to streaming atrocities per year. So how come so many of us horror goons still haven't seen some of the most important films in the genre?

This thread is meant as a remedial course for those omitted classic. Every other day, for all of January, I will post a new classic horror film to watch. The films will be selected by their essential horror qualities and by polling the horror thread regulars on the most common missing films from the big names out there.

If you remember the 2019 version of this thread, you might remember it had a challenge format, complete with prizes, and that a new classic was assigned each day. I feel that was maybe a little intense and not really in the spirit of things. This thread isn't meant to push people to marathon these classics as some kind of endurance test, it's simply an invitation to watch some great, historically important, influential entries in a genre we love. That said, you are invited to review/discuss the films if you do end up watching them. If you do intend on treating the thread more as a personal challenge, people had fun last time coming up with thematically appropriate replacement films to watch for those who had already seen a selected film, and I may post my suggestions to that effect. You are also encouraged to make your own list of horror films you have been meaning to watch in your first post in this thread, to further help curate the selection and as a personal reminder.

We will be listing where each film is available for streaming when applicable. The fun fellows in the goon horror discord will be streaming some of the films to help the thread along, especially when it comes to certain films that are caught in legal limbo.

Now, without further ado, our first Horror Essential:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mOn4h0lgKQ

Hellraiser

Clive Barker's first foray into directing (likely motivated by how badly his work was previously adapted with Rawhead Rex) is a psychosexual body horror triumph. While everyone's familiar with Pinhead, this movie is about so much more than just the iconic cenobites, intertwining violence, horror and sexuality in a way that would make David Cronenberg proud. The effects work in this film is impressive, and it becomes astounding when you realize this was made on a mere 1 million dollar budget. For one movie to contain so many iconic horrifying visuals would be worthy of an award even if it wasn't also a thrilling story full of terrifying imagination and the birth of one of horror's most iconic villains. You owe it to yourself to see this film if you haven't.

Available for streaming on Prime video, Hoopla, the Criterion channel, and Shudder. Also available to rent on Apple TV, Google Play and Youtube.

For those of you who have seen Hellraiser, I heartily recommend Hellraiser 2: Hellbound as a substitute watch. While its story is a bit less focused and it gets a bit corny near the end, it makes up for it with vivid imagination and visuals that, in my view, surpass the original, including the mattress scene, which I consider to be one of the most grisly scenes in all of horror.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I guess you could just watch the other Hellraiser movies. Clearly "essential."

Never do this, even as a joke.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Our second horror essential is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD_EN0JVnKk

Deep Red

If Suspiria was Argento's masterpiece, this is his defining work. The quintessential Giallo, this film is replete with bizarre imagery that serves no purpose but to escalate tension beyond what's reasonable. The leadup to the violence in this film is 100 times more impactful than the violence itself, and this film often borders on a psychedelic mood piece, not least because of the amazing score by (who else?) Goblin. The late, great Daria Nicolodi is completely captivating as the love interest and costar, bringing a surprising amount of levity to what's otherwise a very grim experience. Much like Suspiria, this must be watched in the highest resolution possible to appreciate the sheer artistry and beauty packed into every frame. And do make sure to watch the 126-127 minute cut! You're being robbed of the true film if you don't.

The correct cut is available to rent on Youtube and Google Play

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 3, 2021

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Today's horror essential is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tZIsNSToYI

Poltergeist

Tobe Hooper's second biggest film, often misattributed to Spielberg, paints a picture of idyllic 80s suburbia shattered by fantastical intrusions from the realm of the dead. While the social commentary might seem dated at this point, the film remains an amazing showcase of pre CGI special effects and a thoroughly imaginative take on the classic haunted house story. Almost every scene in this film is iconic and memorable and has been either parodied or ripped off by other works over time, and there's a reason for that. You owe it to yourself to watch this time capsule of a film.

Available for streaming on Crave Starz (???), available for rental on Youtube, Amazon Video, Microsoft Store, Google Play, Cineplex and Apple iTunes

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQTy554ojoM

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

This remake of the 1956 classic ditches the Cold War analogy to portray a much more isolating and creeping sense of paranoia. With creature effects to rival any 80s monster flick and themes of modern alienation and sexism, this movie has some career best performances from some great actors as well as setpieces that will haunt you for years to come.

Available to stream on Hoopla, available to rent on Cineplex, Apple iTunes and the Microsoft Store

If you've already seen this film, might I recommend the 1956 original or the less ambitious 1993 remake?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

Is the 1993 adaptation less ambitious? It's my favorite of the three, and it feels the most relevant to our current times in a lot of ways. What makes it lesser for you?

It's mostly the setting, lack of locations and some frankly terrible early digital effects that overall make it feel like a smaller film to me. It's got this... tv movie quality to it? I don't want to demean it or anything, but it doesn't feel as large scale as the other two films. And, to get into spoilers, despite ending ambiguously, it does end with the protagonists essentially defeating the body snatchers and getting away, which is much tidier than how the previous two films end.

Plus anytime something is set on a military base I get "the director got tax breaks for filming here" vibes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Not a lot of reviews in this thread so far, is there some kind of thing happening outside of internet forums that's distracting everyone or something? Anyway.

Today's horror essential is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BY6syEApk8

Les Yeux Sans Visage

While not as fundamentally terrifying and bloody as his documentary Blood of the Beasts, Eyes Without A Face remains Franju's most iconic work. A stripped down, atmospheric, visually haunting story with only a few characters, this film is profoundly affecting in the way few works of art can be. The horror, isolation, tragedy and helplessness of these characters aren't shown to you so much as you are forced to feel them yourself, like a psychic intrusion. While the dialogue in this film is pointed and clever and layered with meaning, Franju knows better than any director that a picture is worth a thousand words, and few can match his mastery of visual language, which is on full display here. You owe it to yourself to watch this melancholy masterpiece.

Available for streaming on the Criterion Channel

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The part that always stuck with me when I watched it on a free HBO weekend when I was 12 is when the kid goes to wake up his mother and her face collapses right as he reaches out to touch her. That hits some deep childhood anxieties. I also remember being disappointed that there wasn’t more nudity, but that was how I felt about most movies then.

The movie's plenty horny as it is, and you definitely get the feeling Ferrara would've crammed in more nudity if the producers had let him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Today's Horror Essential is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjiyV8mtXiU

Child's Play

https://twitter.com/JayBauman1/status/880545634301820929

Much like the previous Big Franchise entries, this time I'm asking you to watch any entry in the Child's Play series you haven't seen. The original Chld's Play is a masterfully creepy execution of a simple horror concept, but the sequels are never content to recreate the original, and veer off into increasingly unpredictable directions. This series is certainly an underdog compared to the massive success of Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th and Halloween, but there's a creativity, artistry and practical effects prowess in these films that rivals any bigger budget horror series. Brad Dourif is an amazing and underrated performer and the highlight of every single entry in this strange series who's tone changes every film, and his and Don Mancini's dedication to the character and his universe over the decades are admirable. If you've only seen one or two entries in the little horror franchise that could, you owe it to yourself to check more out.

Oh and there's a remake I guess.

Most of the franchise is available to rent on Youtube, Google Play Movies, Apple TV Store, and the Microsoft Store

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMYIvtiTtD8

The Exorcist 3

To call this film underrated is akin to calling the original Exorcist 'influential'. Writer William Peter Blatty's second and last directorial outing is tonally completely different from the original Exorcist, even going so far as recasting some central characters, and yet it is a masterpiece of tension, mood, discomfort, despair, and terror. Brad Dourif gives the performance of a lifetime as the central antagonist, which is especially remarkable since the studio made Blatty reshoot every single scene involving his character. This film explores the dissolution of faith in all its forms, the banality of evil, the bitterness of life, and the existential terror what lies beyond. The greatest shame in the world is that this film is sandwiched between very terrible Exorcist sequels, when it's the only film worthy of the title.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Apologies for missing my deadline.

Your next horror essential is....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UCJz617E8s

Dead of Night (1945)

One of the very first horror anthology films, with 4 directors presenting 6 frightening tales, this film is extremely ahead of its time. While not every single tale is a classic, the overall quality of the production belies its simple presentation and its obviously dated dialogue. With a simple framing device of people telling each other spooky stories, this film manages to dance between comedy, terror, drama, the surreal, the mystical and more. The movie's last tale and ending are particularly memorable, but the entire ride is a masterpiece worth taking the time to watch.

Available for streaming on Kanopy

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Today's Horror Essential is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H-3ObsUEfo

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Perhaps the single most important proto-slasher ever made, and one of the most famous films in horror history. Tobe Hooper's masterpiece is gritty, unflinching, unrelenting, and unforgettable. Infamously, despite having very little gore and violence shown on screen, the film is brutal and unnerving, leaving several critics shaken to their core after seeing it. This movie is so good and the name is so iconic that they just won't stop making terrible sequels, prequels and remakes of it, but nothing compares to the simple and realistic style horror of the original. If you've never seen this one because it's from the 70s or because you basically know all the beats from reading reviews and seeing references, now's your chance to see the movie that forever associated chainsaws with horror.

Available for streaming on the Criterion channel and Shudder. Available to rent on Youtube, Google Play, iTunes and the Microsoft store.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YadApPG8W7Q

Kwaidan

Director Masaki Kobayashi is best known for his dramas and war films, films that examine Japan's shifting culture in the wake of WW2 and the poisonous effect that warfare has on the human condition. So it's very interesting that he made such a visually striking and fantastical anthology of ghost stories. Retelling a series of very old folk tales, this film is more captivating than it is frightening, blending stage-like visuals with modern cinematic techniques and dynamic camera movements to create a dreamlike effect. The colors in this film are as vivid as Suspiria, and each tale creates an entirely different mood with its color palette. The film is 3 hours long, and the standout tale, Oichi the Earless, could very well be its own feature, but the entire thing is worth sitting through. Make some time and put on your reading glasses to watch this phenomenal feature. This is another one you'll want to watch in the highest definition available.

Available for streaming on the Criterion channel, available to rent on iTunes tv, Google Play and Youtube

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Friend of the thread Fr0id is streaming Deep Red tonight, if you haven't had a chance to watch that one yet. Find out more in the horror discord

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ftmr17M-a4

The Thing

There isn't much to say about this one that hasn't been said a million times in the horror thread and in countless video reviews. It's a triumph of practical effects, a dizzying display of all manner of slimy grossness, using every trick in the book to bring this ever-transforming creature to life in a way that looks realer than what CGI can accomplish to this day. It's a beautifully shot descent into paranoia and mistrust, a body horror spectacle, a film that redefines what it means for something to be "alien". It's a moody film that makes you feel isolated and cold even if you watch it in august with a group of friends. It's also one of the best lit films in movie history. And who can forget how one critic perfectly encapsulated the film:

If you've somehow never seen every horror nerd's favorite film, now is the perfect time to change that.

Available to rent on iTunes TV, Cineplex, Google Play Movies, and Youtube

And for those of you who have seen it, which I imagine is most of you, I recommend watching a Carpenter horror film you haven't seen. I particularly recommend Christine, which I think a lot of people put off because it has such a b-movie premise. The film rises well above its schlocky concept and is one of my personal favorites. Prince of Darkness, The Fog, In the Mouth of Madness and Body Bags are all excellent horror films as well. John Carpenter completely deserves the title of Master of Horror.

I'll be streaming Kwaidan at 8 PM EST tonight, join me here if you want a chance to tick a movie off your list. Don't forget to install this extension before tuning in.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 21, 2021

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm a day late and dollar short, but here's your horror essential:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuO26oJQLVs

Carrie (1976)

The very first film adaptation of a Stephen King book remains one of the very best. Brian De Palma's visual storytelling is flawless in this film, and Sissy Spacek is heartbreakingly believable as the shy, abused lead. This film has more in common with a greek tragedy than a traditional horror movie, and like a lot of King's work it focuses on the mundane cruelty of everyday people. You probably knew someone in your high school who would've treated Carrie like poo poo. While everyone knows the basic story of Carrie, and there is a campy element to just how obvious it is that none of the cast are actually teenagers, this film still completely holds up as the single best adaptation of this novel. Some of the scenes in this film will stay with you for years to come. If you've avoided it because it's from the 70s, you've been missing out on one of the best entries in the horror genre.

Available to stream on Starz, available to rent on Youtube, Google Play Videos, Microsoft Store, Apple iTunes TV, Prime Video, Vudu and Cineplex.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Today's horror essential is....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btGEvamuaA4

Maniac (1980)

A deeply grimy and unpleasant look into the activities of a serial killer living in New York City. This is not a fun tense spooky movie or an enjoyably violent gore showcase, despite some amazing effects by Tom Savini. It's an unflinching look into a deeply gross person's deeply gross behavior, where the only humanizing moments are when we see how pathetic and empty he truly is. Joe Spinell feels far too believable in the lead role, and there's not a single second he's on screen that isn't simultaneously captivating and seriously offputting. Despite some elements of surrealism, this film feels like a documentary at times, which just makes all the violence hit that much harder. Watch this to experience horror of a very different kind.

Available to stream on Shudder, Tubi and Prime Video

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Thank you to everyone who participated in this thread. There were certainly a lot fewer posts this time around, and no one made lists, but I still think it was a worthwhile endeavor. Hopefully it was nothing I did that led to this diminished enthusiasm, and some of you still got to expand your horror pedigree. I'll be streaming a 3-movie marathon tomorrow chosen from this year's list at 6 PM EST tomorrow. I'm having patrons of the Scream Stream vote on it over on patreon and they're being slowbies, so I unfortunately can't quite tell you the lineup with certainty yet. :sweatdrop:

Regardless, it will be hosted here.

Special thanks to fr0id for picking up the slack after I got incapacitated by my own bad posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The votes are in, and the lineup will be:

Gojira, The Thing, and Martin.

Tune in if you haven't seen them. Martin is Romero's most emotional and intimate film, and it's really something special.