Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/Hi5ame/status/1345728524271972353?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I rewatched the BoSJ final this morning and I had forgotten the horrible welts on Despy's back immediately after the corner turnbuckle spot. Ouch!

I want Ishii to win KoPW and defend it in lariat-only matches.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I started with Day 13 of the G1 and all these matches bang. Ishii vs. Cobb gave me the vapours.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Wrestle Kingdom is in 12 hourssss

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok so this is my first time looking at Great O Khan. He looks Master Wato levels of silly. Is he Master Wato levels of silly?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok so this is my first time looking at Great O Khan. He looks Master Wato levels of silly. Is he Master Wato levels of silly?

Yes, insofar that he's really cool and good.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ChrisBTY posted:

Ultimately the difference is confidence. O Khan sells it, Wato looks like he's permanently on the verge of a panic attack. (Also presence & ability but confidence to sell the gimmick is the most important thing in this context imo) Which, while relatable, does kind of limit his ceiling in pro wrestling. The gimmick is slightly odd but then again, remember Knife Pervert Jay White coming in? He sold it.

Anyway, to be self-indulgent, I have no loving idea what I am doing tomorrow. Obviously Wrestle Kingdom is Wrestle Kingdom, but NOAH starts 90 minutes later which means that I get to sleep 90 minutes longer.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

o-khan's good and is portrayed as a serious threat with flamboyant entrance gear which is a combo that works in wrestling

bartok
May 10, 2006

Wato impressed me at the BOSJ and I loved his match against Despy. I think having Tenzan in his corner and teaming him with Taguchi was smart. Give him a year or two to tweak the gimmick and he'll be fine.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Way to the GrandMaster Master Wato is a perfect precious boy and in this house we love and support :wato:

TheJunkyardGod
Sep 19, 2004

Do not taunt the Octopus

Ganso Bomb posted:

Went ahead and put in for Monday and Tuesday off. gently caress it!

I've always taken off for this the last few years but my jobs been closed since November and I'm getting called back on tomorrow.

So I'm gonna be tired as hell at work.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The thing to remember is that Kawato came back with the Grandmaster gimmick as brand new. He wasn't WAY TO THE GRANDMASTER in Mexico. Oka's last match before the UK excursion was as O-Kharn, and he worked that gimmick the entire time he was gone, adding to it, changing things, learning how to express it and probably coming up with the "yokai of Genghis Khan" backstory. And in that one match under the gimmick before leaving, Oka looked completely out of sorts with it. LIke all they'd told him was "you're the Great O-Kharn, you do Mongolian chops, figure the rest out".

Of course, I'm biased because out of that particular class of Young Lions, Oka was my favorite. He just had a presence to me, and seemed closest to Nagata in his capabilities as a performer out of everyone in that little group, which is always going to win points with me because Nagata's my favorite New Japan Dad.

The thing to remember with Wato is that he sort of got thrown into the deep end for his return, and they added Tenzan and now Taguchi to the act to help him. Even Sho and Yoh got Rocky to vouch for them (and that they were already well-established as a tag team before they even left). And it took until they gave Jay a direction at the Dash after WK12 for him to start to figure out what the hell he was going to be. I remember my opinion turning around on him when he Blade Runner'd Kenny after putting on the BC shirt, like I went "oh he's an opportunistic prick, I get it now". And then by the time he lost the US title to Juice I was full-on a knife pervert mark, dude is probably the best heel worker in the world.

I think maybe the only guy who just showed up, first day, new gimmick, and had it down pat already was Hiromu. Kamitachi in Mexico, in ROH, wherever he worked on excursion. But then again, they just let him come back as himself, a weird art guy who got into punk music and expresses himself however he feels like. He's just cranked up to 11.

I also figure Shota will come back, gimmick already figured out, but that's because I fully expect it to be what everyone else is probably expecting: a hybrid of Mox and Tanahashi in persona and ringwork.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The Watosault.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
If you don't like Wato then gently caress you.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

https://youtu.be/5zci-bIEYLQ

Chris charlton is such an adorable weird looking nerd

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

In preparation of tonight's main event, Naito and Ibushi's 2019:

NJC Round 1 Night 3 Main Event, March 10th 2019: https://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00511_5_09

G1 Supercard, Intercontinental Title Match, April 6th 2019: https://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00513_2_08

Dominion 2019, Intercontinental Title Match, June 9th, 2019: https://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00520_1_08

I didn't realize how closely they ran those together. Although the IC match happens because of the NJC match, and then they run it back for Osaka.

And, of course, there would have been a fourth match in 2019, which would have been for the G1 final, if not for the SWITCHBLADE cutting off Naito in their block final. And so now we're getting it in the Dome, with Jay just waiting to pick the scraps. So we've had to wait eighteen months after establishing this as a very hot, very wild rivalry.

Long-term booking! Gotta love it.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Dominion 2019 is where they did that one gnarly-rear end spot, right?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm gonna go to bed and when I wake up it's gonna be Wrestle Kingdom :getin:

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

I'm gonna make a fresh pot of coffee and stay up for Wrestle Kingdom. I'm really excited!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Cerebral Bore posted:

You're going to have to be more specific with these two. But yes, probably.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

A gnarly-rear end botch, yes. It was a callback to their G1 Supercard match, it went wrong, somehow Ibushi didn't get concussed from it and the worst thing that came out of the match was him getting a black eye from Naito doing a goat headbutt that caught him during a strike exchange.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm talking the one where Ibushi clearly broke his loving neck, but since he's Ibushi he just walked it off.

But come to think of it, that might not be specific enough either.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Cerebral Bore posted:

I'm talking the one where Ibushi clearly broke his loving neck, but since he's Ibushi he just walked it off.

That was Dominion, yeah. The match Meltzer refused to rate because it was too dangerous

Also the show with Moxley vs Umino and Kojima vs Takagi in Shingo's first Heavyweight singles match

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 4, 2021

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Cerebral Bore posted:

:nws: :nws: :nws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVhGPGqBHQc

I hate this match to this day with every fibre of my being

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

a cyborg mug posted:

Wrestle Kingdom is in 12 hourssss

Goddammit, this post wasn't made exactly 12 hours ago :mad:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Lid posted:

:nws: :nws: :nws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVhGPGqBHQc

I hate this match to this day with every fibre of my being

This match loving ruled

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

ChrisBTY posted:

He's silly but he is much more confident in the gimmick so occasionally I chuckle at his screaming but I quite like him. He does some very cool throws. I like his yell promos. GoK and Cobbo completely sold me on empire and now I quite like them

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

that match was sick i loved it

and ibushi's response to everyone talking about it was to go on and do more neck bumps to strengthen his neck lol

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Ibushi is truly some kind of God's own blessed idiot.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

hum. i'm not too pumped. figured shibata would be back by now. i guess he will be back for the next one

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

I completely dropped off from wrestling after COVID started, but gently caress I can't miss Wrestle Kingdom. I was already spoiled on the G1 stuff thanks to NJPW's YouTube highlights titles (:argh:), as well as what happened with Evil and Jay White winning Ibushi's briefcase. Ospreay turning and forming his own faction is news to me though, that's a shock.

Also I have no idea who the two new excursion returnees are so I'm excited to see what they do!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

gonna arrive late but excited for tonight, is there a prediction game?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Tempted to phone in sick tomorrow and Tuesday so I can watch Ibushi destroy his neck in a barely filled Tokyo Dome

O'khan and Wato have been okay since coming back from excursion but have been hurt by crowd only clapping as they really judge what is working and what isn't. I think O'khan probably has a bigger upside but I'm not gonna write Wato off quite yet

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

SalTheBard posted:

If you don't like Wato then gently caress you.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Heads up if you're not watching live,

- Get NJPWext and turn on hide spoilers.
- Unsub from the youtube channel
- Unfollow the twitter account

I guarantee you will somehow wind up getting a faceful of White's opponent for 1.5 if you don't.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im going to buy avatars for the top 4 posters in tonights gdt listing the match results :twisted:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/puffinbrain/status/1345914070671585281?s=20

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

JOHN CENA posted:

im going to buy avatars for the top 4 posters in tonights gdt listing the match results :twisted:

I'm going to buy avatars for the top 5 posters in tonights gdt saying John Cena has stinky feet and you should not have him over for coffee.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

MJeff posted:

I'm going to buy avatars for the top 5 posters in tonights gdt saying John Cena has stinky feet and you should not have him over for coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/WONF4W/status/1345922033855565824?s=19