Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

oh man do the Hardy Boys still hold up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin

Captain Foo posted:

oh man do the Hardy Boys still hold up

100% imo and the vocab is miles ahead of other kids' books, my son broke out a couple 20 dollar words this weekend he learned from those books and I was beyond chuffed

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Internaut! posted:

100% imo and the vocab is miles ahead of other kids' books, my son broke out a couple 20 dollar words this weekend he learned from those books and I was beyond chuffed

:unsmith:

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Internaut! posted:

my dad and I used to mess around on CB bands with his Kenwood, but shortly after that the BBS scene came online and we went that direction instead

recently I've been reading the Hardy Boys to my 5 year old and he's fascinated by their wireless, so I thought about getting back into it as if I had something like this as a kid I would have never left my room

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qsap5r1OXs

I plan on starting with a handheld and getting my license, I think it would be a cool move to contact local hams and clubs only once I have my callsign but in the meantime I thought I'd ask you guys about antenna options - my ground station will certainly make use of an SDR so antennae will be my big concern, I live in the city but have a lot of land and mature trees, I could easily run wires for dipoles or put up a flagpole :canada:

is there a cheap and easy way I can get us started and being able to contact a) an active part of the spectrum b) with as much range as possible? like I don't think I could do 80m but 40m might be possible and 20m be easily doable, although a vertical wire dipole will have a much higher WAF/NAF than some big fan job, but I don't have a clue where active hams are hanging out these days

That's awesome dude. my 7 year old is currently working through my tech license study materials as he loves my radios and we picked up a solid 2m handheld for him at a recent ham swap meet. (got him a well-loved vx-170, that thing feels like you could drop it out of an airplane without issue. It's got a 2008ish vintage NiMH battery though so i wonder how long that's gonna hold out).

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Internaut! posted:

Sounds like its time for a grimdark reboot where all the music is slow quavering covers of uptempo songs. Also they're bisexual.

---

Super glad you all are enjoying the thread! I've been listening to some 40m ssb lately; the bands are quite nice.

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin

Jonny 290 posted:

Sounds like its time for a grimdark reboot where all the music is slow quavering covers of uptempo songs. Also they're bisexual.

apparently there ARE more "mature" Hardy Boys books that have been made; a friend of mine's mom got some for his boys without knowing this and apparently in the first book Chet's little sister gets blown up by a car bomb 😂

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Internaut! posted:

apparently there ARE more "mature" Hardy Boys books that have been made; a friend of mine's mom got some for his boys without knowing this and apparently in the first book Chet's little sister gets blown up by a car bomb 😂

yeah i read one of these and they are awful

e: it was that one with the car bomb yeah

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
10m ssb and even FM is blappin'. Caught a couple repeater convos a bit ago. Cycle is up folks, get your HF while the gettin's good.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
keep an eye on the solar weather

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin
for any Canucks wanting to get their license, the govt has a shockingly good exam simulator covering every portion of the test in mind-numbing detail

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/025.nsf/eng/h_00040.html

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

I tried to ask the instructor at my certification study course put on by my local club last night, but he didn’t really get it. are there radios that do direct digital modulation? generating audio signals on a computer and piping them into a voice input seems old fashioned to me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Well, sorta tricky.

short answer is yes - and they've done it for like 70 years.

you may see "RTTY" modes on HF rigs. when rtty became popular, they were trying to figure out how to generate the two tones they wanted to use for the 'mark' and 'space' (1 and 0) signals. Of course they didn't have computers or anything back then, but what they did have were crystal oscillators and the data line from the teletype, which was just a binary simple 5v or whatever line following mark and space. What they settled on was:

* when you turn transmit on in rtty mode, it just yeets out the same single tone that a CW mode would if you held the key down. at this point with no data moving, the teletype data line was in one idle state (mark, if i recall)
* when it needs a space (the other tone), the voltage on the data line would kick in
* when that was on, it turned on a little shifting circuit built into the radio to move the frequency of that internal CW oscillator 170 hertz

So that really was direct modulation to generate the desired signal. On most fancier rigs there's an "FSK" line that, if you were to hook up an old rear end teletype, will generate really clean RTTY.

The reason most HF rigs don't bother with having a direct input is just the conventions of the bands. Almost all of the signals are 3 KHz wide or less. so, an audio line is a really good way to input what information you need for the desired RF output signal.

the icom 7300 "sdr"? it's got a usb audio dongle inside it that you chuck sound to.

FLEX radios can be directly modulated in the way you're thinking, and some other high end SDRs, but any modes that would require fancy direct modulation techniques need that type of radio on both ends for a contact, and they're not ubiquitous, so they haven't gained traction. Almost everything out there on the airwaves today is something you can use by having a computer yell into a microphone and listen to a speaker.

It's also vastly easier, even in SDR architectures, to generate a baseband signal and convert it to the desired RF output frequency, than it is to directly twiddle bits to generate things between 28.220000 MHz and 28.223000 MHz.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
It took me ages to figure out how to do RTTY "properly" like that using the RTTY mode of my FT-991 with fldigi. I did get it working eventually though.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
*computer yelling into a mic" HELLO. I AM RADIO AND SEND SIGNAL TO YOU. ERRORSOUNDCARDSTOPPEDWORKING
*radio doing direct modulation* Hello Sir, this is His Excellence Radio Teletype The Third. Please accept this handmade bespoke letter.

I modified my v2000 antenna so vswr is better on ft8 50.313. it went from 2.2 to 1.26. Solution? But a piece from a telescopic whip antenna on top and then adjust while using nanovna. I had to put a piece of plastic pipe in the midsection since the antenna got longer. And lots of electric tape. I can get it to 1.105ish but i am going to wait til its less snow and cold.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
the whole "direct modulation" concept isn't well defined, a SSB transceiver is just a frequency converter with side-band selection, the sound input and output is just a frequency shifted copy of the RF signal
it doesn't really get more direct than that, and I'd argue that SSB isn't even a modulation form since it's literally just transverting voice (or whatever you want) frequencies into RF

it's as flexible as it can be, you can literally transmit any modulation you want within the channel bandwidth with SSB radios
last month I made a weather-fax FM demodulator in a DSP, the input is the output from an SSB receiver

if you wanted to directly modulate the RF you might go a bit further and do I/Q modulation, but that requires a DC coupled signal and you can achieve the same result with both methods.
it just happens that if you're building a radio these days it's cheaper and more convenient to use an I/Q complex modulator and demodulator instead of an SSB one, and a lot of RF signal processing is easier to do in the complex plane

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

thank you everyone for your responses. I have plenty to learn

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
any way for me to get a transverter for vhf and have this 1 in all setup so i can stop changing cables etc?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvN0uUClip8

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

Big Mackson posted:

any way for me to get a transverter for vhf and have this 1 in all setup so i can stop changing cables etc?

Something about this feels like a very not so friendly route.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'd use the hf antenna for 6m if possible and just use a switch between the transverter and radio

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

i'd use the hf antenna for 6m if possible and just use a switch between the transverter and radio

the v2000 is better at 6m than my wire antenna. i guess i will be buying a regular transverter and then some switches.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Big Mackson posted:

the v2000 is better at 6m than my wire antenna. i guess i will be buying a regular transverter and then some switches.

how about a 2nd transceiver to cover vhf+uhf -- is that too obvious? i would worry about the transverter being lossy / noisy

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Helianthus Annuus posted:

how about a 2nd transceiver to cover vhf+uhf -- is that too obvious? i would worry about the transverter being lossy / noisy

if i find something used that can send vhf ssb and can be used with computer and ft8 then i might as well. I think a new transverter is much more expensive than a used vhf transceiver if one think about how much watt it can send.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
well, you don't really honestly need frequency agility - aka CI-V tuning or whatever - on vhf/uhf weak signal modes. You park it and all the party is within the audio channel. So, any ssb rig that can take an audio input/output will work.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Y'all see that Kenwood is coming out with a new HT?

I have no experience with their radio poo poo but it seems cool to have an alternative to Yaezy.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, nice looking radio, shame about the $1 billion MSRP. but thats always how the kenwood flagships have been

also icom's right there too

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

drat yall, you could at least provide the info :supaburn:

TH-D75A, tri-band (2m, 1.5m, 70cm). im not seeing an official msrp, not sure if it can do cross-band duplex like the th-d72a can

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

drat yall, you could at least provide the info :supaburn:

TH-D75A, tri-band (2m, 1.5m, 70cm). im not seeing an official msrp, not sure if it can do cross-band duplex like the th-d72a can

I read somewhere that it doesn't actually have dual VFOs so there's still no replacement for the TH-D72A.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mantle posted:

I read somewhere that it doesn't actually have dual VFOs so there's still no replacement for the TH-D72A.

this is ridiculous ugh

e: icom dropped the ID-50A . Looks like a refresh of the 51? Anyways i have a 51a VIP pro edition plus and it's an extremely good ham radio

https://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/handheld/id50a/default.aspx

Mantle
May 15, 2004

quote:

Dualwatch
Monitor two FM or D-STAR repeaters simultaneously*

*not actually at the same time

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, it's a switcheroo thing. I do have some true dual-VFO radios so if i really want to do that i have options.

My icom IC-2SRA!

it's an Icom W2A (very famous dual radio HT) except they replaced the 70cm transceiver on the right hand side with an icom R1 (also have one of those) - a 25-905 MHz wideband receiver

and you might see something weird

that's right

it has TWO ANTENNAS. the wideband rx side has its own dedicated antenna jack and a second whip.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

what if you just ductape two baofengs together bing bong so simple

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I'm hoping the new Kenwood depresses the used market a bit so I can grab a 72

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they're very good radios but i fear they suffer from FT-60R-itis, where owners realize they're so good they are dragging them with them to the grave

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah, and everyone who wants to do satellite work wants one (myself included). mantle hooked me up selling me his last year - with a fast charger - for ~msrp (iirc). this was a screaming deal given the insane current prices and i was happy to pay it. but when msrp is a screaming deal for a used discontinued radio there's something very weird going on in the market

if i'm being honest it just makes way more sense to use any decent ht from whatever manufacturer for tx and a baofeng for rx and get full duplex that way. _but doing it all on one radio is just so cool!_

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah, and everyone who wants to do satellite work wants one (myself included). mantle hooked me up selling me his last year - with a fast charger - for ~msrp (iirc). this was a screaming deal given the insane current prices and i was happy to pay it. but when msrp is a screaming deal for a used discontinued radio there's something very weird going on in the market

if i'm being honest it just makes way more sense to use any decent ht from whatever manufacturer for tx and a baofeng for rx and get full duplex that way. _but doing it all on one radio is just so cool!_

i run half duplex off one ht. it is hard. i have to wait for a signal first to dial in the aiming

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

I’m very new with no equipment outside of a baofeng. local repeater traffic is kind of fun from a people watching point of view (listened to two guys arguing about brussel sprouts) but i want to try some low power longer range HF digital stuff so i backordered a QMX transceiver. since i don’t have a tuner or proper transceiver yet i was looking at end fed antennas but my lot isn’t really suitable to string 70 feet of wire as directed… suggestions on bang for buck off the shelf configurations i can get my feet wet with before i fill out my toolkit?

am i understanding right that the balun in these antennas can impedance match any sort of suboptimal radiator on the other side, that the only issue is power delivery because a 100W balun on a 5W radio is going to be fine to burn up the wasted power?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Mmmm doesn't quite work like that but the short answer is you won't be at risk of smoking anything. The end fed matching boxes aren't baluns, they're transformers - in a balun, only the unbalanced power engages with the circuitry and the rest is passed through. In a transformer, all the power passes through the core/etc so they're susceptible to saturation.

Do you have 33-35 horizontal feet? A 20m dipole is the easiest thing in the world to build and 20 is the fish-in-a-barrel #1 digital band. No tuner needed with a simple single band dipole if you're OK with an hour of trimming and tuning.

Dependin on how little space we can get you going with just about any sort of compromise antenna setup. Even a 20 meter hamstick whip on a mount with a couple radial wires lying on the ground will get you running.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Awesome man, thanks for helping. Good to know 20m should be more than enough to get me on my feet. That’s a much more manageable length for the back yard than worrying about the 40m and 80m this transceiver can do. i will eventually report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
40m is a very good band, and if I had to pick one, i would set up a 40m rig. It's got good distance but also is entertaining short-range during the daytime. The rocky mountain daily net is on 40m and I hear checkins from Arizona through Montana here in Denver. But 20's the real MVP, just because it's soooo busy.