Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

:page3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

"no more paper copies, we're all digital licensing baby. also our digital licensing service has been down for the entire month of june, gently caress you"

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat
FCC site having issues, imagine me shocked.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
oh yeah, it went down for like a week when I was waiting for my license; it stressed me out, because I paid but couldn’t tell if it worked.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2njqPpFXhMI

:eyepop:

e: this guy seems pretty yospos

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 21, 2023

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I shouted at that guy for his clickbait title and it got deleted :<

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

yeah I didn't really get how it's pirating when he arranged to have access to the satellite but figured there was something I wasn't understanding (which is often the case)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i was watching an acollierastro video and she said:

"ham radio is just astronomy ... ham radio people are awesome and very cool."

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
how do i calculate elevation degree (uhf band) using my yagi while trying to reach a certain grid location (trying to listen to beacons)? and is knife edge diffraction even a thing at 70cm?

edit: and it also applies to meteor scatter when i want to try that out next shower time. shower more please.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
unless you have like some 28 element monster laser yagi just keep it flat. beamwidth will be plenty wide. and yeah knife edge is a big thing (las vegas hams use it to get over this one mountain to one behind it with a bunch of repeaters)

same with scatter, you're trying to hit a spot that's 80k feet up but also 800 miles away. flat is fine. only satellites need elevation at all and even then only when the pass is above 30 degrees

many satellite hams just install their antennas tilted up about 20 degrees or so. beamwidth is wide enough that you're within 0.5 db on the horizon and you get good coverage up to like 60, 70 deg elevation of the bird

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that's good info, one big reason that i haven't messed with satellite stuff is that my yagi is one of the handheld kinds from Arrow and i figured i wouldn't be able to point it accurately enough. like, i knew that it _should_ be fine, but also didn't want to schlep too much stuff to some place with a decent view of the sky and then be disappointed, so i just let it sit on my shelf for months

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat
For scatter is there really ever a reason to not level the horizon in the same vein there really isn't a reason to not for EME?

Sure, you can change the degree and get more optimal of a connection, but if you're just starting out and using a digimode dedicated for that kind of work; would it not just be over optimization?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Naw. you need a really really shallow angle to be able to reflect off the meteor trails, which are roughly horizontal. Think critical angle of skipping a stone or sending light down a fiber optic cable. It's not like you can aim a beam 45 degrees up and bounce off a meteor trail to somebody 20 miles away, you gotta come in real flat. keeping beams level to the horizon is best for 97% of work

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
phew, good to hear. when i manage to get a kr-600 azimuth rotor fixed (a bolt is rusted so good that its almost like its welded to it, gotta bore it out or something. also remove rust and make a new rotor cable that is not rotten) ill just point it at horizon and just care about azimuth degree. elevation rotor will be purely for sats then.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yep, perfect setup. That's a hella rotator btw, good work on keeping it alive.

It should have no problems.

I used one of those $59 Radio Shack rotators for my stack - I mounted it at the ground and the whole mast rotated (cobbled together a sort of bearing type thing for the support bracket at the top of the roof) and had a 5+5 element 2m beam and 10 element 70cm beam on an elevation rotator, with a 2 element 6m beam above that, and it handled it all no problemo

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
someone heard me on 70cm ft8 because i recieved 1 signal, a -7 db ft8 signal back, but it was the same message i sent?
then i saw the creature had gotten a radio license.

edit: used 432.174 mhz. i see on pskreporter they are quite flexible regarding what frequencies they use :/

standardize!

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 16, 2023

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
So, a few weeks ago, a broken tree limb took down the lead line for my 80-10 EFHW longwire antenna. I decided that I was tired of dealing with antenna lead lines in my maple tree that constantly drops limbs, and really wanted to get a line over one of the big limbs of my 120'-ishTulip Poplar about 75' up. Previously I've used various slingshots, lead weights, and fishing reels with unsatisfactory results.
Last week, I found this on Amazon.

https://a.co/d/50nCgjh
It's basically a spearfishing slingshot gun...
So I ordered it. It was like $65 shipped.
It arrived last night around 7:30PM.

So I put it together and launched one of the darts into the Tulip tree around 8PM. This is the result:

I was able to pull a new paracord lead line over a limb 75Ft up.
Sorry about the photos being so bad but the light was fading.
I'll post photos of the EFHW back up in the morning.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 9, 2023

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
drat, that guy is executing that fish in cold blood.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

My aliexpress feedline came this week, so I connected everything for the very first time without worrying too much about perfect antenna position, stumbled through wsjt-x to send a message to Australia. 13226 km away!

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

yippee cahier posted:

My aliexpress feedline came this week, so I connected everything for the very first time without worrying too much about perfect antenna position, stumbled through wsjt-x to send a message to Australia. 13226 km away!

the polarity must have been upside down and it still reached them? heck of an antenna! if 90 degree is bad then 180 is double bad O_O

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
has anybody ever died while operating a ham radio from the bath tub?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Helianthus Annuus posted:

probably

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

me, im a ghost

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Achmed Jones posted:

me, im a ghost

was this you? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvA_-linhg8

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
No, because if you died in the tub you wouldn't be able to identify at the end of your contact, and that's illegal.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

ngl, bathtub man making what looks like a 70 mile contact on a 5 watt handheld using airband AM. Is probably just really excited that the tower copied him.

still. someone gonna kick his door in later lmao.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

No, because if you died in the tub you wouldn't be able to identify at the end of your contact, and that's illegal.

true in the narrow sense that nobody died this particular time.

though, if it happened once, who's to say it couldn't happen again?

yummycheese posted:

ngl, bathtub man making what looks like a 70 mile contact on a 5 watt handheld using airband AM. Is probably just really excited that the tower copied him.

still. someone gonna kick his door in later lmao.

to me, he's doing what amateur radio operators are supposed to do: experiment with radios to learn about Science. i hope he remains unbusted

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
tub water is a good conductor, proper way sign off

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Radio Nowhere posted:

tub water is a good conductor, proper way sign off

:thunk:

*me bathing in the ocean to achieve OMNIRADIO PRESENCE*

.... . .-.. .--. / .... . .-.. .--. / -- . / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / .. - ... / ... --- / -.-. --- .-.. -.. / -.. --- .-- -. / .... . .-. .

i am going home now and i will never touch a water agiain.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
I've finished my first radio project in a while, this silly ultra-low-power AM transmitter, so I can finally use 1970s technology to send a morse code beacon to 1920s technology:

Pin 15 on that PIC is the clock output and pin 17 is a GPIO outputting the audio frequency signal, so that whole MN2/MN3/AE1/R5 mess is the class C main amplifier and transmitting antenna with absolutely no tuning/filtering, so I'm sure you can hear this thing on HF too. The only thing that makes it remotely legal is that it's so incredibly inefficient you can't receive it across the room, let alone more than a wavelength away. (So if you wanted to be pedantic maybe you'd call it "near-field" instead of "radio", but it gives me something to do with old AM gear other than listening to the nazis on talk radio.)

https://i.imgur.com/gUBe0Fw.mp4

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
using modern technology to make old soundology, what a time to be alive.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i would like to know more about that transmitter! i drive old radios via fm transmitter and would like to do AM as well

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
That transmitter only supports square wave audio. You can think of it as a NAND gate with its output tied to the supply by a 100 ohm resistor and a small coil. One of its inputs is on RF (in this case the clock output of the microcontroller, tuned by the variable resistor) and the other output is on (logic-level) audio frequency. When both outputs are high, there's current flowing through the coil, otherwise there isn't. This means we get the RF modulated (at 100% depth) by our audio signal as a current in our coil. The audio is generated entirely in software.

If you're interested in similar transmitter designs that can do higher-fidelity audio, you can replace the second switch with a linear audio amplifier. I just threw this one together on a breadboard on my messy, messy lab bench and it seems to work well enough:

https://i.imgur.com/fNSbn4G.mp4

That chip on the breadboard is just that same model PIC loaded with the same code in a through-hole package. I'm just using is as an oscillator. You could probably put together something very compact with a PFET, an NFET, and a silicon oscillator IC and maybe run it off a 9V battery.

Also, the dimensions and construction of the antenna don't matter at all. It's a very inefficient antenna and the only way to make it efficient would be to make it enormous.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

PIC16 seems way overkill for this but then again nowadays people use whole-rear end ESP32's for simple stuff.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

PIC16 seems way overkill for this

Playing back a message in morse code is probably the simplest thing you could make a microcontroller do but I don't think I regularly encounter any product that's a less-capable computer than the PIC16F54. Sure I only used 108 of 512 words of program memory but I also had to redesign my program because the return address stack only has 2 entries. I guess it has a lot of unused GPIOs though, but if this is overkill those SOT-6 ATTINY10 parts I considered using are beyond the pale (but at 10MHz I could've also just synthesized the RF directly and used only 1 FET in the transmitter section so I was really tempted).

Edit: lol, that attiny is also cheaper. The 16f54 is just obsolete.

Stack Machine fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 3, 2023

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Not exactly, but this is close. The CPSC banned all metal CB base station antennas in the mid 80's because a few idiots mounted them too close to 38KV power lines, and when they blew over in high winds their owners either got fried in an arc flash or their houses burned down. Now all legal CB base antennas sold in the USA, no matter how expensive, are some variation on a hollow fiberglass pole with 18-22 feet of 16 gauge wire strung inside it and a matching network at the base where the PL259 screws in.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Dec 3, 2023

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

CB people idiots? naaaah

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

spankmeister posted:

CB people idiots? naaaah

It had the side effect of wiping out all of the cheap metal 10m Verticals on the market, so :v:
This kind of idiocy isn't unique to CB guys. There are dozens of posts on r/amateurradio asking if they can use their AC Weatherhead pipe to mount a 2m/70CM Antenna.
:bravo:

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 3, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that's a big part of why i don't have a permanent-mount antenna. suddenly i'd need to have a real hard think about lightning safety, wind safety, and then spend a lot of money on it, and the stakes are about as high as they can go. even though getting out my cute lil ham bucket and all kinda sucks, i am quite certain that it won't end up with anyone in my home or the neighbor's homes on fire, impaled, electrocuted, etc.

as far as i can tell, there's no way to hire a real professional insured consultant on homeowner-level stuff like this, either. it all seems to be DIY or full on commercial stuff. i hope that by saying this in the thread someone will correct me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
ive been banging on about L-band weather satellites in the discord so I thought I'd pop up all my stuff I've received on to a google photos album because there's so much and i can't choose the best ones for the thread. also they are very big

link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/KhsSwid242VhF5rw6

small sample, click for big (37 MB)

for people only on the forums I can talk about this in the other thread maybe but maaaaan so many ace pics. may get some blown up and printed

edit: this is polar stuff but mervburger does geostationary!

thehustler fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 4, 2023