Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

echinopsis posted:

idk how you mega nerds have done it but im finally
concede that the EM spectrum beyond visible light probably exists and make the first moves toward reviving radio signals with my metal teeth.

hey tell your dentist

9#3_sh
0b2_a5
4xt_28

:forkbomb:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
wanting to investigate hft microwave towers. are there any tools that make the fcc website more bearable/useful ?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nope. it was built in '99 and thats the way we like it god drat it

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Jonny 290 posted:

nope. it was built in '99 and thats the way we like it god drat it

ham_radio.txt

Bruno_me
Dec 11, 2005

whoa

vodkat posted:

wanting to investigate hft microwave towers. are there any tools that make the fcc website more bearable/useful ?

I made my own I've posted about once before. finally got it polished to a suitable state for public consumption: https://microwave.earth/. it takes the fcc microwave database and the e-band link registry, does some massaging with postgis, and provides a dynamic kml interface for google earth. for a given view of the planet it will plot all active+inactive licences and/or just those belonging to groups of frns assigned to particular organizations intersecting that geographic space. many of the frn groups are in colorado because that's where I am. there's a bunch of hft around nyc and to/from chicago, but you'll be surprised at just how much microwave+mmwave there is.

standard backhaul (one of the frn groups) is one of a few a paths between nyc and chicago:

(it won't let you query this big of any area any more though fyi)

but kn telecommunications and los angeles dwp definitely have more route miles. and webpass operates a dense 2/5/10gb e-band network in a few cities with many many more stations.

if anybody wants me to add an frn group shoot me a pm or something. or I might have to actually make an interface for it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

whoa neat

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that's cool as hell

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
wonderful site. i'm fine with them doing poo poo in microwave bands (suspect that's who will end up owning our 3.5ghz band in the end), i just want them to stay the gently caress out of HF.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Bruno_me posted:

I made my own I've posted about once before. finally got it polished to a suitable state for public consumption: https://microwave.earth/. it takes the fcc microwave database and the e-band link registry, does some massaging with postgis, and provides a dynamic kml interface for google earth. for a given view of the planet it will plot all active+inactive licences and/or just those belonging to groups of frns assigned to particular organizations intersecting that geographic space. many of the frn groups are in colorado because that's where I am. there's a bunch of hft around nyc and to/from chicago, but you'll be surprised at just how much microwave+mmwave there is.

standard backhaul (one of the frn groups) is one of a few a paths between nyc and chicago:

(it won't let you query this big of any area any more though fyi)

but kn telecommunications and los angeles dwp definitely have more route miles. and webpass operates a dense 2/5/10gb e-band network in a few cities with many many more stations.

if anybody wants me to add an frn group shoot me a pm or something. or I might have to actually make an interface for it

this is very very cool my friend! may shoot you a pm once I have had more of a chance to explore this.

Jonny 290 posted:

wonderful site. i'm fine with them doing poo poo in microwave bands (suspect that's who will end up owning our 3.5ghz band in the end), i just want them to stay the gently caress out of HF.

From what I have found out the new hotness in hft is trans-oceanic shortwave. apparently not enough bandwidth for executing orders but enough for ticker information that will give you (weather permitting) a few micro second advantage over fiber.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

vodkat posted:

From what I have found out the new hotness in hft is trans-oceanic shortwave. apparently not enough bandwidth for executing orders but enough for ticker information that will give you (weather permitting) a few micro second advantage over fiber.

Yep. Some station in chicago got authorization to transmit on 14.350 MHz center frequency, but their data stream is 10khz on either side, so they're eating up the top 10khz (three voice channels) of the most popular ham band in the world and nobody is talking about it and everybody thinks this is Just Fine.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i ordered a new Weller iron, solder, solder sucker+braid, flux, some nice pliers and screwdrivers.

And I got this kit in

it's a dorky little FM radio!

Since we started out the zcast with an AM radio kit build, I figured this would be good to try to get motivation to get back on the horse.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

you got a link to the kit? i wanna check it out

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah for sure

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08RXQDNL6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

there are a bunch of them, search for 'radio kit' for the various flavors. i like this one b/c of the red LED 7segment display and little plexi case.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

rad, thanks! that's what made me interested - i'm used to ham kits that are probably above my skill level (or more appropriately, i could do but i'd be frustrated and swearing half the time) so a cheap but cool looking kit where i don't care too much about the functionality sounds right up my alley. and it absolutely needs to be doable in an hour or so cause i can't leave everything laying around. that looks perfect

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
these are commodity chips and are literally an fm receiver on an IC. they're super simple and rather than having to solder up finicky tuning circuits, all you're really doing is providing power and control voltages to the various pins and connecting switches. like you don't need a spectrum analyzer to peak-n-tune one of these little radios because it's as good as it's gonna get. if it powers on and squawks tunes out the speaker, you nailed it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
25 year old receiver came in

100 khz-1300 mhz, am/fm/ssb/cw. good scan speed. lots of memories and search ranges. also incredibly light and runs on 4 AAs. and chirp compatible

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

Yep. Some station in chicago got authorization to transmit on 14.350 MHz center frequency, but their data stream is 10khz on either side, so they're eating up the top 10khz (three voice channels) of the most popular ham band in the world and nobody is talking about it and everybody thinks this is Just Fine.

i know that causing interference is like a cardinal sin in ham radio (and also probably one of those big-boy crimes too) but i just can't help but think about the frustration that some individuals might feel if those radio links were to experience some... degraded reception at certain times of the day

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yep. they're leaving themselves wide open. there are tons of old hams with Henry 4KL amps that they normally run at 1,499.99 watts but can easily poo poo out 3kW

----

Let's listen to beisbol chat on the new radio

https://twitter.com/KC4YLV/status/1380006578640748545

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I’m moving from a basement suite to a nice second floor apartment and there’s nothing in my lease agreement about putting a modest antenna on my balcony

time to get my ham license

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otS0ELOkbPk

russian state news via shortwave RTTY, vintage '91.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMwciWchH3Q

this lovely video popped into my youtube feed and it contains all sorts of goodies that everyone should try: listening to satellite communication and looking at what planes above you are squawking.

also contains: don't ever do this or its forever-jail for you. Turns out it's incredibly easy to ddos flight control radio. One moment, normal traffic, next a wall to wall carpet of planes all heading for the control tower.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

when you say ddos do you mean dos? bc it seems hard to run a bunch of radios all doing the thing at once

obv i haven't watched the video yet or id know the answer

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

well now I want to find a cheap SDR stick and maybe an upconverter so I can listen to stuff under 25 MHz

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Achmed Jones posted:

when you say ddos do you mean dos? bc it seems hard to run a bunch of radios all doing the thing at once

obv i haven't watched the video yet or id know the answer

it’s not actually dos, but more creating an army of ghost planes

favorite example of the speaker is generating a ghost plane that’ll fly directly through traffic control, but they can’t know it’s a ghost plane so they will evacuate

needless to say, forever jail

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
instead of buying poo poo we built some poo poo

bottom 2 sections of an old 23 foot CB antenna. I ripped out the matching network and just made it basically a straight wire all the way through. Then added a big capacitance hat made out of steel wire and a 4x4" junction box blank. You can see it if you zoom in

Here's the match box. Goal is 40 meters. I need to add some more capacitance in the box to get it down there but we're already below 2:1 SWR. Only thing I had to buy was the utility box, everything else was out of the junk/scrap pile. 1:1 balun lower left feeding the L network. Playing with a couple different tap points as you can see.

Without the match box this resonates at like 10.5 MHz even though it's six feet shorter than a quarter wave would be there (the magic of capacitance hats - they're REALLY GOOD). With a tiny bit of tweaking I believe I can add a single switch to the bottom of the box and have a 40/30m setup.

Initial tests late last night were very good, will try when it's really alive this sundown

schematic. Simplest matchbox one can build.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 20, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
added 440pf of capacitance in parallel with the main variable cap (remember, parallel capacitances add) and i fuckin' nailed it

(also, nanoVNAs are amazing and every radio dork should get one)

Picking up a couple DPDT heavy duty switches this afternoon to add 30 and 20 support. stoked!

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.
Looking to get back in the RX game. I currently live halfway up a hill facing the Dee estuary in Wales, which limits my reception abilities, though I'm looking forward to trying to receive SSTV from the ISS tomorrow.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

hazza posted:

Looking to get back in the RX game. I currently live halfway up a hill facing the Dee estuary in Wales, which limits my reception abilities, though I'm looking forward to trying to receive SSTV from the ISS tomorrow.

Nice! MLA-30+ is a great small antenna for MW broadcast through the top end of the HF band. Love mine.

---

Grabbed a couple huge DPDT switches from home depot so the tuner box has some flexibility

Left switch puts the 40 meter L network in line or not. Right switch is vestigial for now but will let me add another matching network if needed. Which i don't think i do; in bypass my rig autotuners will tune it on every band from 40 through 10 meters. It's naturally resonant dead in the middle of the 30m band so its time for me to mess with digital crap once again

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

added 440pf of capacitance in parallel with the main variable cap (remember, parallel capacitances add) and i fuckin' nailed it

(also, nanoVNAs are amazing and every radio dork should get one)

Picking up a couple DPDT heavy duty switches this afternoon to add 30 and 20 support. stoked!

i love it

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

hazza posted:

though I'm looking forward to trying to receive SSTV from the ISS tomorrow.

Well so much for that. I could just about hear the tones on my Uniden scanner, but not strong enough for my phone to decode them. Didn't pick up anything on my RTL-SDR with dipole. I suspect the EMF in my house is too strong - it's basically a datacentre with all the stuff running in the loft. That and the VDSL-carrying phone lines criss-crossing by my house. Perhaps tomorrow I'll try driving up to the top of the hill to see if I get a better LOS.

I want space pictures, dammit!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah, get outside if you can. ISS has like a 50 watt radio so it'll blast in full scale if you are in line of sight, but local interference can kill even that

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

building my first yagi for this event, as have had a similar experience with the stock rtl-sdr dipole so far

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
this may be helpful for yall

instructions:

https://g7vrd.co.uk/public-satellite-pass-rest-api

max is 72h into the future but it continually updates. i added the calendar 6 months ago or something and it still Just Works

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I decided to say gently caress the police landlord and put my dual band vertical up, superstealth in the middle of a tree in the back

camo job on the important part (antenna) is decent. completely invis from the road. hell, almost invis from 20 feet away if you dont know what youre looking for

Also switched the feed for the HF vertical from this weekend from some old lovely RG8X to a nice run of LMR400. beefy coax is beefy. Jesus those connectors are hard to solder though, just physically wrangling the cable is a pain.

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

Partial success on SSTV reception this morning. Not a sausage on my RTL-SDR with dipole, but I managed to pick up this using my Uniden UBC125XLT, decoded with Robot36 on my phone:

Unfortunately there was a break in broadcasting right at peak elevation, so I only got the end of an image. Next step, I think, is to connect my Uniden directly to a laptop for a cleaner audio feed.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it's good that you got sync yeah, a good start!

I'm going to give it the college try in a couple of hours on the last pass of the day here

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Oh yesterday i resoldered 4 PL-259's on the ends of some coax runs that I'd left outside and not connected to anything.

I finally after thirty fuckin years learned the trick to installing them on RG8 sized coax.

Drop of dish soap on the first inch of the outer jacket to help the connector screw on easier.

probably the cleanest terminations i've ever done. Why did you never tell me this trick, former elmers. aaah

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

zero contact so far for me, guess i need to finish the yagi because the dipole isn't cutting it maybe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we'll see what my lovely tree vertical does in about an hour and change

tomorrow i'll pop my very cool dual band horizontal loop and compare

sadly this is the best extant picture of it on the internet; they're out of production now and the site's gone all placeholder page