Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
the whole "direct modulation" concept isn't well defined, a SSB transceiver is just a frequency converter with side-band selection, the sound input and output is just a frequency shifted copy of the RF signal
it doesn't really get more direct than that, and I'd argue that SSB isn't even a modulation form since it's literally just transverting voice (or whatever you want) frequencies into RF

it's as flexible as it can be, you can literally transmit any modulation you want within the channel bandwidth with SSB radios
last month I made a weather-fax FM demodulator in a DSP, the input is the output from an SSB receiver

if you wanted to directly modulate the RF you might go a bit further and do I/Q modulation, but that requires a DC coupled signal and you can achieve the same result with both methods.
it just happens that if you're building a radio these days it's cheaper and more convenient to use an I/Q complex modulator and demodulator instead of an SSB one, and a lot of RF signal processing is easier to do in the complex plane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU