Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I have still been dabbling with listening to web SDR and boy howdy the conversations people have are dire. One time I found a band with 3 woke old dudes but it's mostly the polar opposite. Still something about tuning into these conversations is appealing to me.

Sadly I haven't heard anything like that night a guy was doing a full on boomhauer persona and trolling these racist dudes and then came back later as a different persona and really pissed the guys off, poo poo was funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

I need to find a way to get an inconspicuous antenna set up on my apartment balcony. technically my lease agreement only says no satellite dishes so I bet I could disguise it as christmas lights or something and put it along my railing but that does leave the question of how to get the lead to it actually inside

I don't have a license yet so I'm not going to be keying up or anything but I wouldn't mind listening to the aether from time to time

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Thanks obama!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I know all about numbers stations but have you ever heard any people having encrypted chats, like with one time pads or codewords or anything like that? Is that something that people ever do for fun? When I first got into listening to webSDR stuff I sort of expected to find it often but never really have.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

it's illegal to use encrypted communications over ham bands

oh wth, ok. well that's no fun at all.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

it's also a transparency thing, i think. by which i mean, if encrypted comms were allowed it'd take precisely thirty seconds for companies (some big, some jerkface "disruptors") to start using those bands for whatever annoying middleman-injecting thing they're trying to do. iirc there's already HFT jerks using ham bands, i'd rather have a 'no encryption' rule than 'its technically ok as long as it isnt commercial, but also theres no way for us to tell what the actual message is cause its encrypted.'

2 bros coordinating a dead drop isn't imo a problem.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

You can but it's not strictly necessary. The negative line of the PSU's DC will go straight to the rig chassis, and the PSU will tie that to ground. Over-grounding shack gear to get rid of RFI problems is duct tape on a gunshot wound. What you want to do in that situation is install a 1:1 or 'line isolator' at the shack entrance. However if you have a good 1:1 or isolator at the feedpoint, this is rarely necessary.

rent, dont buy

https://www.homedepot.com/p/rental/Makita-Roto-Hammer-2-HR5210C/316821949

A local specialized tool rental shop will have it cheaper but you just grab this (make sure it comes with a driver bit for the diameter ground rod you want to install), start out on a short ladder, and it'll just sink into the ground like a hot knife through butter. Obviously 611 or whatever call before you dig, but these make it really easy and will do it in any terrain that's not just pure granite 3 feet down

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Humphreys posted:

This is a really cool video of stuff I used to fantasize breaking into for 'hacker' reasons when i was a kid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_u8x8V4YYs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvN0uUClip8