Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Hello hamthread. I just got my Technician license two weeks ago, a Yaesu FT-4x, an NA-771 antenna. Local listenings around Christmastime was an audibly-ancient gentleman talking about cleaning candy machines for 60 years and how "you have to heat them up real good to get all the stuff out" and the sheer :wtc: factor has me absolutely in love with keying into the invisible world.

I don't know what broke in my brain, I think I just wanted to listen to P25 phase II in the area, saw how much digital transceivers cost and their limitations, couldn't decide if I wanted to use a mobile or handheld transciever, and here I am now, but let me introduce you to a project I'm calling Vine Room. Basically a low-cost portable SDR transceiver receiver.

I have okay knowledge of wiring electronics, soldering, etc. I bought a Raspberry pi, touchscreen, and RTL dongle and in the works are an RTC (CMOS battery), audio board, battery/charging board, speakers, and fans.

I know fuckall about Python but I'm learning, and it seems that things that already exist like RTL-SDR Scanner, OP25, and Gqrx are good things to piggyback off of and frankenstein together to get the functionality I want--portable, Rx-only scanner that goes from 26-470mHz (the frequencies my antennas catch) and plays whatever it stops on. Maybe add FM2TXT for fun?

The UI design is the easiest part since that's what I partially do for a living, but learning Python, debian-based linux, SDR, breaking apart code, wiring stuff up, is really invigorating. I really miss the non-SMD days of electronics where soldering didn't involve a jeweler's loupe.

I got RTL-SDR scanner working on the Pi already, which is super promising. I'm brand new at this so anything working at all is a huge win.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

spankmeister posted:

I'm sure those interfaces all make perfect sense if you were huffing lead fumes in the 70's

Or were frozen in amber in 2002

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

echinopsis posted:

tbh all of this is super interesting to me.. right up until the talking to people part.

I have basically no intention to talk to anyone, I just like listening in on whatever random poo poo people are broadcasting. I'm the audio equivalent of a lookie-loo. A listen-loo.

During the power outages/snow in Texas where I'm at, I had finally gotten OP25 set up and running on my little project (yay!) and got a live stream of cops trying to move stuck vehicles, and linemen having frighteningly low awareness of where things were located at substations ("uh I'm on the uh east side and there's no transformers as drawn, uh, verify")

I had power the whole time so it was cool passing along intel on progress of power restoration to my coworkers during WFH time

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

echinopsis posted:

idk how you mega nerds have done it but im finally
concede that the EM spectrum beyond visible light probably exists and make the first moves toward reviving radio signals with my metal teeth.

hey tell your dentist

9#3_sh
0b2_a5
4xt_28

:forkbomb:

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

nope. it was built in '99 and thats the way we like it god drat it

ham_radio.txt

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

The gently caress outta here with that. I'm clinging to my old versions for dear life until a decent fork arrives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

I've mostly been hanging out on SW these days and finding a bunch of hams doing a trivia night was a fun surprise.

Other fun surprises was the guys who apparently got into an altercation at something called the Merry Hour, have strong opinions about their district attorney, and the other one who believes chemtrails are greenhouse gases and was deeply and audibly divorced.

Being a SWL listen-loo on equipment from the 80s is extremely cool.

E: here's a question, I keep encountering unlisted frequencies playing what I can only describe as theramin concerts--it sounds a bit like those recordings of planets, or maybe digital transmissions not encoded correctly. Anyone have any idea what that's about?